Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Schedules
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods - Schedules Create your very own game schedules, or share historical schedules

Old 03-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
J.R.RichardFan
Bat Boy

OOTP2007 Schedule Maker Suggestions

Hello All,

As you might notice, I'm not much of post guy, but I have been enjoying OOTP since ver. 3, and have been playing baseball on the computer since I first purchased Radio Baseball, which was the forerunner to Earl Weaver.

I, like Le Grande Orange, am a schedule nut. Realistic scheduling to me not only improves the believability of my "baseball world", but also has a direct effect on the outcome of the games played, using proper days off, etc. etc.

I am NOT a programmer, but the enjoyment of devising schedules as complex and as true to life as possible is just the cherry on the ice cream sundae that is OOTP. I have just finsihed my 18 team, 3 division schedule for my new OOTP2007 league.....so, in a nutshell, I'm a schedule nerd.

I have done them all in all different configuations using MLB scheduling rules, not to mention the rules of geography......there is nothing like the perfect 25 1/2 week, geographically correct, no longer that 12 game road trip, w/ all star break, day-off between east and pacific time zone, Monday - Friday series start schedule that REALLY screams Schedule Nerd. The only one that I haven't achieved to my satisfaction is the 30 team, 6 division, 5 team per division. This, to the schedule nerd, is the Holy Grail of schedules.

But I know not every one is like me......and as the new edition of OOTP arrives, I'm wondering why scheduling templates are not included in the game.

Front Page Sports Baseball did this.....included templates to plug in using the same structures that MLB used. For many with scheduling issues, this may be a solution. FPS used templates from an 8 team to a 28 team template. I was suspicious (since I haven't found a computer program yet that takes into account everything I do), but it handled a usually easy to schedule nerd/hard to computer program 14 team, 2 division, 7 team per division set-up. It knew how to deal with and use the famed "swing team" concept, and more importantly, when to use it...(September).

Why? Because it just copied and used as a template that MLB used. The only problem was you couldn't slot the team properly to make it geographically correct. (a big thing with me......there's nothing worse than the Minnesota Seattle Baltimore Anaheim road trip!). Perhaps Markus could include some in a fix?

Just one other idea......since we work with financials in the game, perhaps the player could be rewarded for a realistic schedule with the inclusion of travel costs to the game? The better the schedule, the lower the travel costs......or is that just being too nerdy?
J.R.RichardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.RichardFan View Post
Just one other idea......since we work with financials in the game, perhaps the player could be rewarded for a realistic schedule with the inclusion of travel costs to the game? The better the schedule, the lower the travel costs......or is that just being too nerdy?
Possibly.

I do appreciate accurate schedules, though. It adds realism. A 3-game series in California followed by one in New York followed by one in Texas just wouldn't cut it -- unless you're playing a league in 3035 when teleportation has been perfected.

cbbl

Last edited by cbbl; 03-26-2007 at 11:36 AM. Reason: code error
cbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

First, welcome! It's always nice to have another schedule guru/nut around.

Quote:
But I know not every one is like me......and as the new edition of OOTP arrives, I'm wondering why scheduling templates are not included in the game.
Well, there are, really. All the schedules in the schedules folder are templates in that they can be used for a league should the proper criteria match up to the league. The game then swaps teams around within that schedule for the subsequent seasons.

Quote:
...but it handled a usually easy to schedule nerd/hard to computer program 14 team, 2 division, 7 team per division set-up. It knew how to deal with and use the famed "swing team" concept, and more importantly, when to use it...(September).
Never liked that way of solving the problem myself. One schedule I want to create someday is one for that alignment but with a divisionally weigted format like that used in 1977-78. It can be done by having one team in each division be the "out" teams which play an interdivsional series against each other while all the other clubs play inside their division. The only drawback is that, depending on the pairs of clubs matching up interdivisionally, you get some awkward road trips.

Quote:
Why? Because it just copied and used as a template that MLB used. The only problem was you couldn't slot the team properly to make it geographically correct. (a big thing with me......there's nothing worse than the Minnesota Seattle Baltimore Anaheim road trip!).
But you can preserve accurate road trips by using the game's ability to cycle schedules year-to-year. Create your first schedule, then create the next year's schedule by swapping teams around the way you want which preserves proper road trips. Create as many additional seasons' worth of schedule files that you want (I'd say six or so would be good - that means the same schedule will only be used once every six years). Then, by adding the proper naming convention to the file, the first schedule in the group will be used in the first year, the second schedule in the group in the second year, and so on, until it reaches the end of the group and then starts over.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
J.R.RichardFan
Bat Boy

Never liked that way of solving the problem myself. One schedule I want to create someday is one for that alignment but with a divisionally weigted format like that used in 1977-78. It can be done by having one team in each division be the "out" teams which play an interdivsional series against each other while all the other clubs play inside their division. The only drawback is that, depending on the pairs of clubs matching up interdivisionally, you get some awkward road trips

First of all, thanks for the welcome!

The 15/10 (kinda) split you mention that was used in 1977-1978 is a bit of a trial to schedule.....however, the road trip problem can be lessened by using a 3/4 theory for those on the East Coast/West Coast.

Basically, what was used was the "Everybody's A Swing Team" theory.

I liked how MLB used the solitary "swing team" in it's approach, but in practice it had a flaw.....Toronto, Cleveland and Milwaukee were usually the swing team.....and since Toronto and Cleveland were awful in the early 80's, Oakland and California got to fatten up in September.

As for the templates, I wasn't aware they were there......they don't automatically pop up.....it works when you generate a schedule?

Oh, and by the way, I didn't mean to post the thread twice.....as you can tell, I'm a posting newbie
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 15/10 (kinda) split you mention that was used in 1977-1978 is a bit of a trial to schedule.....however, the road trip problem can be lessened by using a 3/4 theory for those on the East Coast/West Coast.
I have a Wordpad file around somewhere which has all the matchups set out for the method I mentioned. I never got around to putting the matchups into a coherent order for scheduling purposes though; it was mainly a test to see if the method worked. It did. And as a result either 6 out of 7 teams in each division are playing a divisional series, or all teams are playing interdivisionally. The only drawbacks were the potentally rough road trips for the single interdivisional playing teams, and that each team would have one instance during the season where they'd get two days off in a row.

Quote:
As for the templates, I wasn't aware they were there......they don't automatically pop up.....it works when you generate a schedule?
How it works is like this:

If you set up a league, should certain key criteria of that league match one of the schedule files in the schedules folder, the game will automatically load the matching schedule. The key criteria are these: number of games (e.g. 162), balanced games yes/no, interleague games yes/no, and the size and alignment of the league. If these details all match up to one of the schedule files in the schedules folder, the game should load that schedule automatically.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
J.R.RichardFan
Bat Boy

I think I could do it without the excessive road trip and the two days off. I'll work something up in Excel for you on the weekend if you would like.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I could do it without the excessive road trip and the two days off. I'll work something up in Excel for you on the weekend if you would like.
I actually have two different matchup versions: one with lots of 2-game series (due to the 10 games against clubs in the other division being split home-away as 5-5) and another with few 2-game series (with the 10 games against the other division being split either 4-6 or 6-4).

The whole idea behind the method I was trying was to maximize divisional play in each division without resorting to a single swing team, since that swing team ends up not playing divisional contests for quite a few games in a row. So by pairing up teams, it effectively makes for two swing teams, who then alternate with the next pair of teams for the next set of series, and so on.

If you want to take a look at the matchups, I should be able to attach the file to a post.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Talking about schedules, when is the wedding, guys?
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post
Talking about schedules, when is the wedding, guys?
Don't know... I have to meet the right woman first.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
J.R.RichardFan
Bat Boy

I'm already married, and my wife is VERY disturbed I turned out to be this nerdy.....

Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Whatever, I think it's great. I can't even begin to comprehend the process of schedule making.
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #12
Cork55
All Star Starter

Quote:
I have just finsihed my 18 team, 3 division schedule for my new OOTP2007 league.....so, in a nutshell, I'm a schedule nerd.
I run a 3 division 18 team league and am looking for a better schedule. How many games are you using?

-Cork55
Cork55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
J.R.RichardFan
Bat Boy

Hi Cork,

I'm playing a 162 game, 27 week schedule, with no all star game, geographically correct, using former union/MLB rules (off days between 3 time zone travels) and beginning and ending with inter-division games.

18 games vs. inter-division
6 games vs. intra-division

All series start on a Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

You are quite welcome to a copy of the file, I just don't know how to export it to you as a template. Perhaps LGO may be able to give me some suggestions on how to do that.

Failing that, I can send you the Excel file, which I use to build all my schedules with.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
Cork55
All Star Starter

If you are using it in the game, you could simply e-mail me the OOTP schedule file.

-Cork55
Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
J.R.RichardFan
Bat Boy

Hi Cork,

Sorry for taking so long to post a reply. I'll be quite happy to send it to you, but I can't seem to find the file it stores it in. I tried the Schedue file, but among many files it doesn't seem to be there. Any suggestions on where it might be?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Cork55
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hi Cork,

Sorry for taking so long to post a reply. I'll be quite happy to send it to you, but I can't seem to find the file it stores it in. I tried the Schedue file, but among many files it doesn't seem to be there. Any suggestions on where it might be?
The schedule files should be in a "schedules folder". I will post the exact location when i get home from work tonight.

-Cork55