Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 08-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

I'm having some problems getting these to work. I'm starting a league in 1870, but I'm getting a lot of Asian and Latino names mixed in. I copied names, first_names, cities, nick_names, and nations.txt to the database folder and set my foreigner percentage at zero, and yet I'm still having problems. I seem to recall there being a bug with nationalities, but I can't find anything about it, and everyone else in here seems to be getting the files to work.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: Could it have anything to do with working from a template? I wouldn't see why, but I tested a new league from scratch in 1870 and am not having the same problem.

Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Last edited by bulldog55; 08-15-2006 at 03:14 PM.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #22
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I think the templates automatically load the name file at the beginning of the league creation stage. At least that is how it appears to work for the nations database so I expect player names to be the same.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #23
onnel
Minors (Triple A)

There are awesome. any chance you'll be updating them for 1.03?

Onnel

Last edited by onnel; 09-05-2006 at 08:28 AM.
onnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #24
gohorns98
Minors (Double A)

Questdog - Great work on this. Quick question. In your names.dat files one nations.txt file is used. In your experience is the nations.txt something that could also be updated through time, or are the nations wraped into the world.dat file?
gohorns98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #25
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns98
Questdog - Great work on this. Quick question. In your names.dat files one nations.txt file is used. In your experience is the nations.txt something that could also be updated through time, or are the nations wraped into the world.dat file?
The nation.txt is indeed stuck in the world.dat, so is inaccessible. Someone should write utilities to do this stuff...
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #26
onnel
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog
The nation.txt is indeed stuck in the world.dat, so is inaccessible. Someone should write utilities to do this stuff...
If someone will define the formats for me (which really should have all been done by SI, sigh), I'll be glad to write a utility for it. sadly, I don't really have time to do the exploring myself and don't want to waste the time if someone else has already put in the effort.

Onnel
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #27
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Questdog, I'm using your add-on for my deadball fictional league and the names really are redolent of the period. Great ,and thanks for your work on this. I've read somewhere that the Facetool add-on won't work if the nations file has been changed. Has anyone had experience of this?
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #28
onnel
Minors (Triple A)

I'm using facetool with questdog's files and it works fine.

Onnel
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #29
plannine
All Star Reserve

So far, so so good. ........
Old 11-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #30
dow
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is there any reason these name files won't work on a Mac version game? I installed the files per your instructions (as far a I can tell). The game crashes when I try to bring up team rosters or edit team financials.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #31
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

QD, Thanks for this great mod. But I had some issues with it.

When I use all the appropriate files for a 1910 league, first_names, name, nick_names, cities, nations I get no nations appearing in the league set-up screen to pick the league country and all cities names came up as Team 1, Team 2, etc. When I reverted to the install nations/cities lists, the countries/cities were fine, but the when I created the league, all my players came up as "Jim Smith".

I wanted to use this mod in conjunction with cephasJames ethnicities mod for my league so I did the following to finally get what I wanted:
  • Used QD's 1910_first_names.txt, names.txt files, nick_names.txt files.
  • Modified the default ethnicities.txt to set US (Modern) and US (Historic) to 0 for all foreign ethnic types and 1000 for Caucasian.
  • Modified nations.txt to change United States values
    • ethnicity 1 = 0, % = 100
    • other ethnicities to 0,0
    • Set all ethnic types to 0
    • set Caucasian to 1000.
  • In the league set-up, I set foreigner % to 0.
This produced a league with 100% US players and all (as far as I can see scrolling through 5 of the 12 teams I created) all are Caucasian. The names are era appropriate with "babe", "Rube" and "Dizzy" showing up.

As the decades progress, I plan to up the % of ethnic types other than Caucasian according to a foreigner schedule I found on from the ootpmodsquad site.

Just wanted to pass this along to everyone.

Last edited by ootpFox07; 12-14-2007 at 10:38 AM.
ootpFox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #32
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

An update on my previous post.

Unbeknown to me at that time, you CANNOT change the nations2.dat file once the universe is created. Obviously OOTP couples it to world.dat for each league. So I had to tweak my set-up a bit to get the desired effects.

I wanted my new 1910 solo league reboot to mimic MLB's historic progression, but I'm not 100% anal about everything being spot on accurate. A few extra hispanic player names doesn't bother me. That said, I had to modify the above setup to progress my league from 1910 to 2008 using QD and CephasJames names mods and get the right ethnic/foreigner mix:
  • As I found, I could not swap nations2.dat over time, limiting my control of the American/Hispanic names mix in the game. So I took the default nations.txt file and modified the US to be 85% American, 15% Hispanic. This mix will remain in place for the entire breath of the league, so to compensate for the 8% reduction in hispanic names from modern times, I plan to bump the foreigner % a little higher in modern times. Though simming the game, there are a good number of hispanic american players being generated thus far so I doubt this reuction will be an issue.
  • To be able to create a parallel Negro League, I took a queue from CephasJames and created a new entry in nations.txt for US Negro league and assigned it to a new African-American ethnicity. I set the baseball level to 0 to prevent any players from joining the main league and duplicated every US city in cities.txt and assigned them to the Negro league nation. In two tests creating, this worked very well. In the 1940s, I plan to disband the Negro leagues and release all players to the free agent pool and expect a number of them to migrate into the main league.
  • I have created custom ethnicities progressions for each decade from 1900 to 2000, mixing in African players starting to the 40's all the way up to modern percentages. In tests of each decade, this thus far is producing the desired results.
  • QD's Dat files appear to have been compiled for OOTP 2006 which wont work with 2007/OOTP8 so I have been compiling and storing the new names.dat as I have been going.
Once I get all the ethnicities and names dats compiled, I'll touch base with QuestDog and CephasJames about combining my efforts with theirs posting an updated mod. Hopeully OOTP 9 will give us greater control over the ethnicities mixes over time as well, but this works in the meantime.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #33
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Keep up the good work desertfox. I'm looking forward to your progress.
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #34
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Thanks. My solo league using the above technique has reached 1973 and all thus far has gone well. My Negro Leagues sat separate from the main league and starting in 1947, I allowed Negro league players to join the major league and slowly fazed out the Negro league teams and eventually the league. One major drawback to this approach is that you loose the Negro Leagues within the game itself. You can however, publish the league hostory and save the HTML reports for reference.

One issue I'm having is that as I have begun adding players from a previous solo league as rookies in this new league (this league is a historical reboot of that OOTP 6.5 league) I am finding that when I replaced QuestDog's names.txt file with the default version that ships with OOTP, a large number of my players last names get changed to "Unknown" or different names. To have to go back and fix a large number of names to use the default names.txt file is going to be major issue, but something I hope to do in the 80s. Anyone ever run across this issue and have a suggestion? I plan to post this question in the Gen Discussion forum as well.

-Fox
Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #35
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

My inital thought on the above issue is that OOTP uses a 1->1 relationship between the last names position in the names.dat file and a key that references it in the players dat. This is only a theory as I have no clue what the binary format is. But I have noticed that OOTP accepts and uses unique names you manually enter so I assume names.dat can be added to by OOTP, so I'sd assume this can be done manually as well. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #36
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Desert Fox, I don't have any answers for your questions. I read that you set the Negro League "nation" baseball level to 0, as an additional way to keep foreigners or different ethnicities out of the majors. In doing this, does this affect the skill level of the players (may be a dumb question) such that when you did integrate, these players performed rather poorly and not on par with the baseball level 5 United States major league?
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #37
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post
Desert Fox, I don't have any answers for your questions. I read that you set the Negro League "nation" baseball level to 0, as an additional way to keep foreigners or different ethnicities out of the majors. In doing this, does this affect the skill level of the players (may be a dumb question) such that when you did integrate, these players performed rather poorly and not on par with the baseball level 5 United States major league?
Actually no. The talent level amongst players within the Negro Leagues ran the same spectrum as the main Major leagues, with a couple super starts, large number of great to good players and a huge pool of nobody's. For a number of seasons between 1955 and 1970, the main years Negro league players participated in the major league, there were some outstanding players who came over from those Negro Leagues, a few of whom made it to the Hall of Fame no less.

So to briefly answer your question, there was no difference in talent levels between the 0 based nation and the 5 in terms of the talent pool. OOTP populated them with talent equally.

I will be posting the league files to the Web when I post my Dynasty Report on a 1973 expansion club so you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by ootpFox07; 03-10-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added new info
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #38
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox07 View Post
My inital thought on the above issue is that OOTP uses a 1->1 relationship between the last names position in the names.dat file and a key that references it in the players dat. This is only a theory as I have no clue what the binary format is. But I have noticed that OOTP accepts and uses unique names you manually enter so I assume names.dat can be added to by OOTP, so I'sd assume this can be done manually as well. Can anyone confirm this?
You are correct. All the names (last, first and nick) are referenced by their position in the file - despite also having an ID field in the structure.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #39
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Interesting. So is there some way to decompile and view what the names file looks like to try and resolve this? I guess I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and make the swap and fix the names.

BTW, I need to do this because QuestDog left out a number of ethnicities like Taiwan to reduce the overall size of names.txt and moving to the 90's and 2000's, I want these available again.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #40
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Any news on using this for 00tp9?