Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Interested In A Real GM Experience?

I'm Hell Atlantic, and i'm interested in starting yet another league. I've started co-founded one league and created another, both over the last several years that are still active today. One of the leagues i'm still in - Real World Baseball League (now in it's 20th season) & United Baseball League. UBL was my brainchild, built to sim the MLB. the commish allowed the league to move in a different direction, to the point where i decided to step down. here i am now, ready to form a new league.

i'm looking to start a league where realism is the first and only priority. if i can't find a collection of like-minded owners i simply will stick to playing in my solo league. trading will be low in this league (as it is in real life). there will be creative penalities for excessive over-traders. ideas will be shared to allow for more quality free agents. relocation will be handled in such a way that it will be possible to move your team - but within limitations. our aim for player development will be to allow weak teams to use the draft as a way to rebuild in order to compete with the stronger, larger market teams. there should be an ebb and flow to successful/bad teams - bad teams get lots of good prospects who mostly go on to become the core of that team. good players from awesome teams retire and get old. ebb and flow.

if you ever wanted to play in an environment that strived to closely resemble the MLB, if you ever wanted to face the same challenges that real GMs face then this league could be what you're looking for. i would be a mostly hands-off co-commish, i want only to be in a leadership role to ensure the league stays on the path that i've envisioned. if things were to get too extreme (too much of one thing, not enough of another) i want to be able to tweak the rules. but i'm perfectly happy with allowing someone with the same views as i to take hold of the reigns and to guide the league to lasting success and enjoyment. my strongpoints are graphical presentation, making banners and player pics, etc.

This league will use the current rules:
Coaches: turned off
Rating system: 1-10
Roster set - ?
Sim schedule (how many time per week, days to sim, etc.) - ?

TEAM THAT ARE CLAIMED:
Hell Atlantic - Mets
atlbraves - Angels
jpogue - Yankees
mikev - A's
jf7623 - Rangers
RyanM2006 - Red Sox
clueless - Indians
And1pg2 - Brewers
Buccaneer44 - White Sox
mooreadamc - Astros
ukhotstove - Twins
RBLwebguy - Dodgers
Gunit50Cent - Cubs
Psychoholic Slag - Phillies
steveman211 - Devil Rays
Jacks 19 - Cardinals
TigerFanRob - Tigers
Cubsgnrlmngr - Reds
Ductape88 - Marlins
sfredsox - Mariners
Espeizer - Braves
Ford Prefect - Royals
Holla at ya boy - Diamondbacks
bigdgp2 - Nationals
Green Caesar - Orioles
stevew - Pirates
Cody M (waiting for acct to be activated but contacted me via email) - Padres
rSox26 - Blue Jays
Lawley - Giants
pujols5 - Rockies

Open Teams
WE ALL OUT OF TEAMS, YOU SNOOZE YOU LOOZE DOODZ.

Last edited by Hell Atlantic; 01-04-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Hell Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
jf7623
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
finally someone who believes in a league that has low amount of trades and not 50 in one day or 50 by one team. Thank you
jf7623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf7623
finally someone who believes in a league that has low amount of trades and not 50 in one day or 50 by one team. Thank you
i thought i had started such a league with the UBL (a great league in it's own right, with lots of active owners and a stellar commish), but like i said it sort of went down a different road than what i intended. this time instead of completely allowing a commish to rule over the league i intend to be more of sideline league official so i can closely guide the league according to my ideas/plans.

high trading is my pet peeve. owners who don't care about their team's finances and always operate at a deficit in order to run a team with a payroll they can't afford just to win is another of my peeves. i always try to treat my money/cash as if it were real. realism is all that i'm concerned with. obviously leagues evolve over time (which is good), but the heart and soul of a league should always stay the same. there are plenty of other league out there, i would always say, no need to try to turn a league that has a certain vision into something other than what it was intended.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
jpogue
Minors (Single A)

I would really be interested in this type of league and would be willing to help. I would like to see some sort of point system to hire or fire gms. that way u would not be as intent on trading away everything or losing money
jpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpogue
I would really be interested in this type of league and would be willing to help. I would like to see some sort of point system to hire or fire gms. that way u would not be as intent on trading away everything or losing money
excellent. i've always toyed with the idea of hiring/firing GMs, but in reality it seems hard to do in terms of being able to get rid of an active owner (who just happens to not be good at managing a team) and keeping a good GM who is barely active. but i think there *is* a way to do it, if everyone is on the same page:

everyone gets "contracts", for the sake of arguement we'll say a 5 year contract. if at anytime during those 5 years you've won a WS you automatically get another 5 year contract. if you've come in last place say, 3 out of those 5 years you're "fired". or if you've never made the team any significant amounts of money during your 5 year contract (and let's face it, as GMs it's our jobs to not only win, but to make our teams profitable) you'd be "fired". what would fired mean? you lose the rights to operate that team (but you're still in the league), meanwhile there are bound to be other teams who've "fired" their GM that you could take over.

there are many ways we could go about doing this - maybe make it so that if you hit certain benchmarks you can take over any open team that fired it's GM. maybe getting your team to 100 wins will grant you an additional 3 year extension. a league needs continuity, rather than an endless game of "hot-potato" where everyone switches teams every so often, but i think if everyone is on the same page we could have something really awesome and unique here. at the core of this is making every GM accountable for their transactions. excessive trades, overspenders probably wouldn't last long in a league like this.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
atlbraves
Banned

Hey I'm interested in this league....

How about this idea about hiring/firing GMs: You get a five year contract like he said and if you have a winning record for at least 3 years then you can automatically stay if you want. A Losing record for more than 3 years (thats plenty of teams to rebuild) then you are fired. Also, some teams like Kansas City or the Reds can have more leeway when you are "firing" GMs while high-profile and high market teams like the Yankees or the Braves, we should have a stricter rule for those teeams.

Also, if you are fired and another GM is interested, they should have an "interview" and whoever has more experience or has a better track record, he should be hired.

Last edited by atlbraves; 01-02-2006 at 03:31 PM.
atlbraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

there could be 3 sets of benchmarks to be met - one for each market type (big markets, average markets, and small markets). if you start out as Tampa Bay, for example, your set of criteria in order to secure another extension would be different from what the Mets owners needs in order to remain as GM for that team. TB owner could probably have to have at least one season where they finish in 3rd place OR not finish in last place for 2 out of his initial 5 year contract (gotta make it reasonable, we want only to penalize someone who's run his team into the ground). an average team, like say the Orioles, has to get a playoff appearance in at least one year out of his 5 year contract OR get at least 90 wins in 3 of the 5 seasons (something like that). obviously the challenge for a major market, high profile team would be greater.

i think this is really an excellent way to run a league. this puts a big challenge on every GM, not just the ones who operate the Devil Rays and Royals of the league.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
jpogue
Minors (Single A)

To make it fair you would probably need to begin with a fantasy draft. That way people will be willing to join to a team like tampa with the realistic fact they may only get 5 years. And rather than strict rules for firing should be voted on by a committee or a set of owners. Because there is no way that every team can make the playoffs every five years. So it should be based on other factors. I would be willing to help with a league like this and could even host the site. Please let me know how we can get together to brain storm. Contact me on aim jpogue023

thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
And1pg2
All Star Reserve

I'm also very interested in a league like this. In almost all my leagues I rarely trade and I'm always asked why I don't trade as much as everyone else. Well the simple answer is because I don't like to trade just to trade. The idea of hiring or firing a GM could be a great one, but only if you can get 30 good GM's, and you are going to have to know if they are good or not. Because if you get say 15-20 good ones the other 10 are going to make the process horrible, it's pretty tough now days to find GM's I'd say.

E-mail: TripleThreat15@twcny.rr.com Won't be able to check until Wednesday Night

AI: Timetogo619
And1pg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpogue
To make it fair you would probably need to begin with a fantasy draft. That way people will be willing to join to a team like tampa with the realistic fact they may only get 5 years. And rather than strict rules for firing should be voted on by a committee or a set of owners. Because there is no way that every team can make the playoffs every five years. So it should be based on other factors. I would be willing to help with a league like this and could even host the site. Please let me know how we can get together to brain storm. Contact me on aim jpogue023

thanks
great, the more ideas i see people post the more excited i get. there should be factors other than making the playoffs to determine if someone were to get fired or hired. i also would like to see money play a big role - perhaps you can have a losing team, but as long as you remain profitable during those years...something to that effect. i also want to explore the penalty for trading players too much. there should be rules for 1.) making too many trades in one season & 2.) aquiring superstars and flipping them for prospects. a player shouldn't be traded 3 or 4 times a season, and he shouldn't be traded like 5 times in 3 or 4 seasons. the real life Player Association would have a fit. i'm also interested in that aspect.

the basis for this league should be that if you're a huge market team with lots of money you should be able to "buy" your way into the playoffs, trading your prospects for established stars at the trade deadline to put you over the hump. but as a smaller team you should also have the ability to rebuild through the draft and take the hard way to the playoffs. has to work both ways.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1pg2
I'm also very interested in a league like this. In almost all my leagues I rarely trade and I'm always asked why I don't trade as much as everyone else. Well the simple answer is because I don't like to trade just to trade. The idea of hiring or firing a GM could be a great one, but only if you can get 30 good GM's, and you are going to have to know if they are good or not. Because if you get say 15-20 good ones the other 10 are going to make the process horrible, it's pretty tough now days to find GM's I'd say.

E-mail: TripleThreat15@twcny.rr.com Won't be able to check until Wednesday Night

AI: Timetogo619
you're correct. when i say "fire", i mean you still remain in the league, you just have to control another team that has an opening. i think we just have to brainstorm as to how we would implement this - how do you determine which GMs are "fired" and how do you do it enough to make it important to always try your best yet not enough so that there isn't a revolving door in every team. although when you think about it there's only 3 or so teams in real life that have had the same GM for more than 6 or 8 years. Yankees, A's and Braves are about 3 that i can think of off the top of my head. every else kinda moves around the league.

shotgun Mets, btw. i want to control my hometown team.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
jahm
Minors (Single A)

i would be interested let me know jeffamy999@verizon.net
jahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

nice, seems to be picking up, and it's one of the slowest days of the year. people should start claiming teams if they're interested.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
jahm
Minors (Single A)

I will take Seattle
jahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
jpogue
Minors (Single A)

Give me the Yankees I think I can handle the pressure of the big apple
Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #16
mikev
Hall Of Famer

I'm interested in this league. I've actually been considering dropping one of my other leagues because it's getting a little too unrealistic for my tastes.

It would be nice to be in a league where players aren't getting 25 million dollar PER YEAR contracts over 4 and 5 years.

Oh yeah, I call Oakland I'm a Beane disciple in training!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #17
Hell Atlantic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev
It would be nice to be in a league where players aren't getting 25 million dollar PER YEAR contracts over 4 and 5 years.
YIKES! one time in one league i was in i gave ARod $30million for 5 years cause i wanted to make a big splash and show everyone there was a new sheriff in town. that was the first and last time i ever did that. hahahahaha.

A's are yours.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #18
RyanM2006
Bat Boy

Hi

I would love to take Boston if aviable.

Ryan
RyanM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
clueless
Bat Boy

I'd like to take Cleveland. Please let me in your realistic world!
clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #20
And1pg2
All Star Reserve

I'll take the Brew Crew
And1pg2 is offline   Reply With Quote