Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Using ootp 19 historical database with ootp 20

I prefer to have historical transactions with injuries. Some teams may trade for a player that is injured but doesn't that happen in the real leagues?
I thought i would enjoy historical lineups but it doesn't seem to be the case.
It seems like stats are not nearly as good as with injuries. Which seems strange. Maybe without the variable of injuries its harder for a great player to get that extra edge. I don't know. I have not done an extensive test and it may be just be a coincidence. In any case i prefer having the real rosters but seeing teams adjust to injuries.

Problem is that with the ootp 20 database i get the the not enough players message due to all the 255 IL. With the 19 database i get the historical transactions but i dont get the not enough players message.
This is the case with historical lineups disabled on both.
Now i know historical transactions are ment to be used with injuries off but i prefer to have injuries.
So is there anything different in the databases that might cause a problem? Like would it import Barry Bonds with low power due to the game not seeing his correct hr total in the database?
So far i haven't see any problem.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Real injuries are now a part of real transactions/real lineups. I'm guessing that might be why you're running into problems. Having OOTP injuries and the real injuries as well, could easily lead to player shortage.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Real injuries are now a part of real transactions/real lineups. I'm guessing that might be why you're running into problems. Having OOTP injuries and the real injuries as well, could easily lead to player shortage.
Yeah that's what I concluded but except for maybe some updated player changes and historical lineups is there any other differences?
Do historical lineups limit the air's strategy?
Like forcing it to use a player when he is in a slump?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Yeah that's what I concluded but except for maybe some updated player changes and historical lineups is there any other differences?
Do historical lineups limit the air's strategy?
Like forcing it to use a player when he is in a slump?
I have no clue, but I know exactly what you're talking about. When I first got 20 I played close to 3/4 of a season(thinking it was 1947) using real lineups. I too thought it felt a little subdued in terms of eye popping seasons. Didn't finish the season and moved on to other things. I think maybe the only way to tell would be to setup a league using real lineups and fast sim a decade or two and look at the results.

I did do a fast sim using real transactions without real lineups, injuries off, just the real database injuries and I was blown away by how close players OOTP career numbers were to their real life career numbers.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just curious, when you setup a historical league using real lineups, the wizard recommends you edit the make bad settings for batters by lowering them at least 50%. I did this in my league. Did you do so as well? I'm wondering if this could be a factor in creating less that stellar seasons?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

if you use minor leagues, either real or frictional you should turn off make bad as it has no porpoise. it is really only for mlb only play with reserve roosters.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
if you use minor leagues, either real or frictional you should turn off make bad as it has no porpoise. it is really only for mlb only play with reserve roosters.
How would you go about turning them off?

Since OP was talking about real transactions, I assumed he wasn't using real minors.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How would you go about turning them off?

Since OP was talking about real transactions, I assumed he wasn't using real minors.
I'm not using minors with this historical league. I dont remember exactly what i selected.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
I dont remember exactly what i selected.
memory is the second thing to go.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
memory is the second thing to go.
Ok, I'll bite. What's the first?
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What's the first?
I forget.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
zappa1
All Star Starter

I know it's probably next to impossible to do, but I get the starting lineups ok. It's the rest of the 25 man roster that's mind boggling with 3 or 4 players that never played that particular season. I have to make sure I have control over active roster moves. Still, when I first start the season, I have to fix it so those players aren't on the roster and keep them off. If I'm trying to reenact a certain season, I don't want players that didn't play for my team on the roster. That means a player who IS suppose to be there, isn't.

I see where I can block fictional players from reaching the major leagues, but what about real players that didn't make the major leagues?

Last edited by zappa1; 06-25-2019 at 07:53 PM.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
I know it's probably next to impossible to do, but I get the starting lineups ok. It's the rest of the 25 man roster that's mind boggling with 3 or 4 players that never played that particular season. I have to make sure I have control over active roster moves. Still, when I first start the season, I have to fix it so those players aren't on the roster and keep them off. If I'm trying to reenact a certain season, I don't want players that didn't play for my team on the roster. That means a player who IS suppose to be there, isn't.

I see where I can block fictional players from reaching the major leagues, but what about real players that didn't make the major leagues?

If you use real transactions or real transactions real lineups everyone on every team will have played for their particular team at some point that season. Some maybe only a handful of games but they will have played for their team that season. Even when you start a historical without real transactions, everyone on a team when the league starts will have played for their teams that season. the difference being that with real transactions off, players get traded, dropped, signed etc., so season 2 on things will start going astray.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you use real transactions or real transactions real lineups everyone on every team will have played for their particular team at some point that season. Some maybe only a handful of games but they will have played for their team that season. Even when you start a historical without real transactions, everyone on a team when the league starts will have played for their teams that season. the difference being that with real transactions off, players get traded, dropped, signed etc., so season 2 on things will start going astray.
True but you also have to keep in mind that if you dont use historical lineups, the transaction may be correct but the player may not be used in a game. I've seen this happened when doing manual transactions. The player never got into a game before going to another team.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True but you also have to keep in mind that if you dont use historical lineups, the transaction may be correct but the player may not be used in a game. I've seen this happened when doing manual transactions. The player never got into a game before going to another team.
True, but unless OOTP installs some form of real usage meter, I see no way around stuff like that. In the end, the OOTP AI is supposed to try and field the strongest lineup possible. If I fire up 1975 using real transactions, should I really expect the OOTP AI managing the Detroit Tigers to run Nate Colbert out for 40+ games, so he can hit .147 with a .231 OBP? I think the only way to make sure every player gets used somewhat like they did in real life, is to use real lineups. I can't imagine how hard it would be to program a game so the AI knows how to use a usage meter. The AI would have to know that Colbert would be purchased by the Expos on June 15th 1975 and manage Colbert's usage accordingly.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
zappa1
All Star Starter

I do have both lineups and transactions checked. I checked it out to make sure. I had players on my 25 man roster who never played on my team that year. I check the players real life stats and that was confirmed. They were only in the minor leagues. I had to manually remove them a put them on the minor league team that they belonged on. The problem is that if you let the AI control active roster moves, then that's what it will do. It will put who it wants on the 25 man roster. That is why I said that I have to control the active roster myself. The lineups are usually fine until you get a game where there is a player missing from the line up. Then I know there is a player that should be on the 25 man roaster but is not. That I have to fix myself. This is how I control my team. You can have the real lineups, but once in a while you will get the missing player from a line up. I just quit the game and go to baseball-reference for that particular date, and find out who that is that should be in the line up. Once I find that out, it's easy to fix once I locate where the player is. A couple of times I had to search for the guy.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
I do have both lineups and transactions checked. I checked it out to make sure. I had players on my 25 man roster who never played on my team that year. I check the players real life stats and that was confirmed. They were only in the minor leagues. I had to manually remove them a put them on the minor league team that they belonged on. The problem is that if you let the AI control active roster moves, then that's what it will do. It will put who it wants on the 25 man roster. That is why I said that I have to control the active roster myself. The lineups are usually fine until you get a game where there is a player missing from the line up. Then I know there is a player that should be on the 25 man roaster but is not. That I have to fix myself. This is how I control my team. You can have the real lineups, but once in a while you will get the missing player from a line up. I just quit the game and go to baseball-reference for that particular date, and find out who that is that should be in the line up. Once I find that out, it's easy to fix once I locate where the player is. A couple of times I had to search for the guy.

Okay, are you using historical minors?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
zappa1
All Star Starter

Just to show what I'm saying. I started 1969 real lineups & trans. On my Phillies team I had Steven Kolinsky, Mike Anderson, Sam Parrilla, Frank Hagen, Hank McGraw, Pat Knutzen and a couple of others. All these players played ONLY in the minors in 1969. They were never on the Phillies 25 man roster.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
zappa1
All Star Starter

I don't know if I'm using historical minors. Where is that located?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Markus specifically added a word of caution about using real lineups and transactions when historical minors are enabled. It can be done but it is not recommended.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote