Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)

Goalie usage and roster rules prior to WW2

In FHM2 I am seeing far too many instances of backup goalies playing 5-6 minute shifts replacing main goalies several times a season (see attached example).

The main issue with this is that up until 1960, there really wasn't the concept of a dedicated backup goalkeeper in the NHL... each home team was responsible for having an amateur goalie in attendance in case of an injury on either team.

Now I understand that this could be an issue to code (dressing only 1 G, with an extra shared backup in case of injury), but an alternative could be to still dress a backup but restrict mid-game goalie changes to ONLY be for injury replacements prior to 1942 (not sure where teams started occasionally dressing backups, but it was pretty much unheard of prior to 1942).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roster Rules

The 15 skater roster FHM defaults to prior to 1938 is pretty off. It should look more like this:

1931-1934: 13 skaters (9 forwards, 4 d)
1935-1937: 14 skaters (9 forwards, 5 d)

This is especially important since D-men are less plentiful prior to 1938. Right now I'm having a bunch of career minor leaguers and fringe NHLers as 3rd pair D-men.
Attached Images

Last edited by G-Nuke; 02-19-2016 at 09:15 AM.
G-Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

1965-66 was when the NHL mandated dressing two NHL goalies each game.

You're certain the goalies didn't get a minor injury? My guess is that it's a "stamina" attribute issue with the goalies but I really haven't played many seasons prior to the late 60s expansion yet.

Quote:
mid-game goalie changes to ONLY be for injury replacements prior to 1942 (not sure where teams started occasionally dressing backups, but it was pretty much unheard of prior to 1942).
Very nice suggestion. Prior to '65-66.

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
1965-66 was when the NHL mandated dressing two NHL goalies each game.

You're certain the goalies didn't get a minor injury? My guess is that it's a "stamina" attribute issue with the goalies but I really haven't played many seasons prior to the late 60s expansion yet.

Very nice suggestion. Prior to '65-66.
Very certain. I can cite half a dozen examples per team per season.

I'm not sure if the injury only replacements for goalies should go all the way to 65-66... I'm pretty sure teams were *allowed* backup goalies some time prior to that but it was basically unheard of.

I would definitely push it to atleast the 1945-1946 season... they definitely wouldn,t be carrying extra goalies during the second world war especially with short 50 game seasons.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Keeping two goalies on the roster in the one-goalie era is a necessary evil for the roster management AI to function. There are special goalie fatigue rules in that era that minimize/eliminate starts for the backups, but what's probably happening is the in-game goalie replacement system is switching the starter out when the starter gets into trouble, which shouldn't really happen. That can be fixed relatively easily, at least, we can just disable that code in certain years. Pre-46 is probably the best time, since the Rangers were actually using a two-goalie system after Jim Henry came back from the war and shared time with Chuck Rayner for a couple of years before being traded to Chicago, and continued it to a lesser degree with Rayner and Emile Francis for a while after that.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Keeping two goalies on the roster in the one-goalie era is a necessary evil for the roster management AI to function. There are special goalie fatigue rules in that era that minimize/eliminate starts for the backups, but what's probably happening is the in-game goalie replacement system is switching the starter out when the starter gets into trouble, which shouldn't really happen. That can be fixed relatively easily, at least, we can just disable that code in certain years. Pre-46 is probably the best time, since the Rangers were actually using a two-goalie system after Jim Henry came back from the war and shared time with Chuck Rayner for a couple of years before being traded to Chicago, and continued it to a lesser degree with Rayner and Emile Francis for a while after that.
I can confirm that most of the replacements are happening when the starter is getting shelled. The worse teams in the league, with the higher GAA have a lot more of this going on, whereas on the better teams where the starter is having a good year you only see it once or twice a season (should be zero mind you)

In FHM 3, any chance of getting some sliders to determine how often the starting gets pulled, and how much the backups are used?