Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 07-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #41
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
They _should_ work in OOTP9. I wish the OOTP staff had used his name files for the 1951 QS, instead of using 2008 name files and creating an utterly bogus set of players.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #42
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

They do but I had to replace the , with 0 in the nation file for them to work. Not sure why, but I figured it out. Thanks for reply though.

cheers,

dcc
Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #43
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

When I try and replace the name DAT file when a new decade rolled around (1880s), I get the following error:"The loading of the database failed. It is either corrupt or a save-game from an old version." Any ideas?

Thanks,

dcc

Last edited by dcpcarmona; 07-14-2008 at 12:29 AM.
dcpcarmona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #44
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Are you using the dat's right out of the mod zip or did you recompile them from the txt's? I noticed that the DAT's in the mod don;t work in 2007/8/9 and I had to recompile them all myself.
ootpFox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #45
onnel
Minors (Triple A)

So are you going to post the recompiled dats for all of us to use, too?
onnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #46
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox07 View Post
Are you using the dat's right out of the mod zip or did you recompile them from the txt's? I noticed that the DAT's in the mod don;t work in 2007/8/9 and I had to recompile them all myself.
Yes I am, what should I do to get them to work?

Thanks,

dcc
Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #47
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Any news?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #48
Pronkytonk
Minors (Double A)

In OOTP8, it worked for me if I started a new sim starting in 1880 (1890, ...) using the appropriate .txt-file of the mod. Then I took the .dat-file the program generated with the start and replaced the .dat-file of my original game.

It should work this way in OOTP9, but I had no time to test this so far.
Pronkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #49
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
My inital thought on the above issue is that OOTP uses a 1->1 relationship between the last names position in the names.dat file and a key that references it in the players dat. This is only a theory as I have no clue what the binary format is. But I have noticed that OOTP accepts and uses unique names you manually enter so I assume names.dat can be added to by OOTP, so I'sd assume this can be done manually as well. Can anyone confirm this?
Well, the answer to my dilemma was simple. The import names and ethnicities function preserved my custom player names while adding the extra names missing from Questdog's files. I'd read on the forums that function was not the most reliable, but it has worked like a charm for my league.
ootpFox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #50
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Most of this thread was written prior to OOTP9, and the readme.txt in Questdog's zip file appears to be written for OOTP2006, so if/how this all applies to v9 is a little hard to follow...

Can Questdog's names be used in OOTP9? If so, what are the steps?

Thanks in advance.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #51
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

any news on how to get era appropriate names?

dcc
Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #52
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Hey guys. You can still use this mod for OOTP 11. The DATs are outdated, but you have two options.

BEFORE starting your game that will use QDs mod, replace the text files in [OOTP DIR]/data/database with QD's files. Make backups of the original files first name you might need to rename QDs files too. Then start the game and OOTP will create it using the new names.

If your game is already in progress, you can use the "Re-import names and ethinicities" button to force the game to import QDs names and not screw up existing names. I've done it both ways with my 100 year solo league and other than a hiccup going back to the default files once I hit the modern decade (before I did the re-import, all went fine.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #53
Fardaza
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Hey guys. You can still use this mod for OOTP 11. The DATs are outdated, but you have two options.

If your game is already in progress, you can use the "Re-import names and ethinicities" button to force the game to import QDs names and not screw up existing names. I've done it both ways with my 100 year solo league and other than a hiccup going back to the default files once I hit the modern decade (before I did the re-import, all went fine.
I've got an 18 year old league. I'd love to have some name variation in my OOTP 11 game. I don't want to change all my retired and current players' names!

So how exactly do I use this re-import button to change new names and keep the old/existing ones the same?

Thanks,
Fardaza
Fardaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #54
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardaza View Post
I've got an 18 year old league. I'd love to have some name variation in my OOTP 11 game. I don't want to change all my retired and current players' names!

So how exactly do I use this re-import button to change new names and keep the old/existing ones the same?

Thanks,
Fardaza
  1. Backup your OOTP database text files [OOTP DIR]/data/database/*.txt
  2. Replace the first_names.txt, names.txt and ethnicities.txt files with those from QuestDog's mod. You may need to rename them. Overwrite the existing text files in the database folder.
  3. Launch OOTP and load your league.
  4. (In OOTP 11) GO to OOTP -> Game Setup.
  5. On the "Global Setup" tab click the Re-import Name and Ethnicity Database.
  6. Play as normal.
  7. The next time the game generates new player names (Amateur draft or end of season if draft is off) the names should begin appearing based on the QD names file you picked.

NOTE that QD purposely removed a number of ethnicities that only began appearing in the 80s and after from his files to reduce the size. You may notice asian players with American names as a result of this if you foreign players settings are really high.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #55
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

2 ?s; will these work with 12 and does anyone have these available to share, seems I lost my copy?

dcc
Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #56
thehef
Hall Of Famer

bump
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #57
plannine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpcarmona View Post
2 ?s; will these work with 12 and does anyone have these available to share, seems I lost my copy?

dcc

Oops......my bad. Read it wrong

Last edited by plannine; 11-05-2011 at 09:51 PM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #58
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I have my original QD files that I believe worked in v9, but does anybody know if they work in v12, and - if so - what the steps are?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #59
dlefe
Minors (Single A)

Will this mod, or any part of it, work with OOTP13??? I really liked this mod, and i'd hate to start a new league in 13 without it
dlefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #60
dlefe
Minors (Single A)

Sorry about that, last post was suppose to go to the Modern Names thread. I have re-added my question to the correct thread.
dlefe is offline   Reply With Quote