Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21- New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
bobellis75
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Benefits of Steam platform?

I haven't bought OOTP in a while...and when I did, it was local/downloaded to my home desktop...as I'm more attached now to a work laptop in addition to home computer...wondering if Steam is worthwhile...so I can play anywhere/from either device.

I was going to buy 21 at the current discount...but debating local vs Steam.

I guess I should ask - any DOWNSIDE(S) to Steam????

Thanks in advance.
bobellis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

a plus is updates are smaller and if you check the correct box - automatic. Another plus is the steam workshop, when some very nice mods are available.

i used to use the stand alone, but i am on a metered internet and the updates were just too big and the whole game gets redone. With steam the updates are smaller and that works for my set-up.

you can play the game without being on line. that was one of my concerns at first, but i seldom do it that way. really i can't see any major negative issues with either platform. i just use steam now because of update size. (and there is no license issues with steam!) if there are any major negatives, i haven't hit them yet.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
bobellis75
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
a plus is updates are smaller and if you check the correct box - automatic. Another plus is the steam workshop, when some very nice mods are available.

i used to use the stand alone, but i am on a metered internet and the updates were just too big and the whole game gets redone. With steam the updates are smaller and that works for my set-up.

you can play the game without being on line. that was one of my concerns at first, but i seldom do it that way. really i can't see any major negative issues with either platform. i just use steam now because of update size. (and there is no license issues with steam!) if there are any major negatives, i haven't hit them yet.
Hmm...sounds like that may be the way to go, moving forward. I just find myself on multiple devices so the main thing for me is convenience of not being tied to one computer with it. But the updates you mentioned, the ease of updating/smaller sizes, etc, sound nice as well.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
Wrathchild
Banned

Infractions: 0/3 (3)
Is there any way to change a standalone license to a Steam license?
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
WyattGOAT
Minors (Double A)

I prefer local because it supports the developers more since Steam takes a certain % of the purchase. But if you want to play on multiple devices Steam is probably the way to go
WyattGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
bobellis75
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattGOAT View Post
I prefer local because it supports the developers more since Steam takes a certain % of the purchase. But if you want to play on multiple devices Steam is probably the way to go
good point on supporting the developers.

It's never been an issue before but I find myself more and more on my work laptop. But would want to be able to play it on my Mac as well. So Steam would allow me to bounce between Windows/Mac, as well, if I'm on their cloud platform
Old 01-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #7
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

the games aren't on a cloud with steam. they are still on your computer. But you can put the saves/backups etc on a flash drive or a cloud manually, and access them from different computers that way.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 AM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

One good example of why Steam is great...I had a non-Steam version of OOTP and when my computer crashed, I couldn't immediately retreive that license. It's easy to do, you just login and unlicense it but it's an extra step. With Steam, I just login to a new computer and the old one isn't as relevant an issue.

The nice thing about having games outside of Steam is that network ever goes away, you don't have to worry about losing access to your games if they're all on a particular machine but...that's about it. I think it's hardly necessary if you only play OOTP
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
Javaslinger
Bat Boy

I really wish they would get cloud saves working. I'm sure it can happen. I'd even be happy with some limited settings like no facegen or baseball cards, etc to get the save file size down.

It would be great to see some pre-defined settings that would be based on file size to make it easier to backup your saves to play from muliple PC's.
Javaslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaslinger View Post
I really wish they would get cloud saves working. I'm sure it can happen. I'd even be happy with some limited settings like no facegen or baseball cards, etc to get the save file size down.

It would be great to see some pre-defined settings that would be based on file size to make it easier to backup your saves to play from muliple PC's.
You could have baseball cards for every player in your game and it wouldn’t make a dent in the number of files that an ootp save has. That’s the real issue with saving to the cloud

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
Javaslinger
Bat Boy

Yep, that's why I eliminate all of the box scores, replays, etc. for anything but human teams... I 'hope' that cuts down on the files. There has got to be a way to streamline the bloat...
Javaslinger is offline   Reply With Quote