Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
Orioles123
Minors (Single A)

Whats your baseball expeirence...

Well how and why you play OOTP? Are you an Historian sm person? Or a modern day trying to mock whats happening today, or create a complete complete fictional league? Not sure how long ootp been out my favorite part about OOTP is learning about the players and love the historical simming.
Orioles123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

Purely fictional here. I just can't get into real-life players. I typically find that I can't stop thinking about the way they play in real life, and that kills my game immersion. With fictional players, I really have to look at their stats and ratings in game to understand what they're like. I like seeing new players get created and thinking up my own interesting back stories and so on.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

As close to modern day as possible. Sim the entire season, managing the lineup every two weeks, and then managing prospects every 45-60 days. Then if I make the playoffs, I play those games.

Red Sox fan here, but playing as the Padres in OOTP. Love rebuilding bad teams into winners. I do it in all sports games.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
tward13
All Star Starter

Historical only. I can't get interested in fake players. I like learning about players from the past that I've forgotten about or never knew.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

Purely fictional. I grew up making up imaginary sports leagues back before everyone had personal computers, and OOTP is an extension of that hobby for me.

Historical Mode:
OOTP 24 (Challenge Mode)
⚾ 1901-19 Reds: 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏆🏆🏆🏆
FHM 10
🏒 1909-18 Wanderers: 🏆
🏒 1918-19: Arenas/St. Patricks: 🏆🏆
spartacus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Started with historical. First thing I did when purchasing the game was take over the expansion 1993 Colorado Rockies. It thought this would be a good test as a new player, what with a pretty poor collection of players to start with and a small budget in a not terribly large market. Turns out, when you know how player careers turn out in real-life it's hard to un-know that. It was great fun and I turned the Rockies into a dynasty but it felt like cheating and the thrill started to wear off and I wanted a greater challenge. (Maybe I just needed a much higher TCR setting.)

So now my primary league is fictional. And just starting the third season overseeing the Denver Brewers in my W.P. Kinsella League I am finding that I'm not so good at this game after all. Which is frustrating but also satisfying. I'm totally immersed in this little fictional world and I'm glad I have to work a little harder and be a bit more patient to build a winner. I just hope I eventually get there.

I've dabbled a bit in random historical and I love that concept too. Just haven't quite figured it out enough, or what I want to do with it, to fully commit. And my side-project at this point is with the tournament mode.
But for now anyway, my main obsession is fictional.

(Someday, though, I really want to figure out the best way to conduct some sort of what-could-have-been Mark Fidrych historical league. Try to see what would happen if he didn't blow out his arm after only 1 great season.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Purely fictional here. I just can't get into real-life players. I typically find that I can't stop thinking about the way they play in real life, and that kills my game immersion. With fictional players, I really have to look at their stats and ratings in game to understand what they're like. I like seeing new players get created and thinking up my own interesting back stories and so on.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus007 View Post
Purely fictional. I grew up making up imaginary sports leagues back before everyone had personal computers, and OOTP is an extension of that hobby for me.
And here.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

The very start of Baseball. I like to play with the guys from the old days of baseball as there some nice stores to uncovered. I grew up with the Twins and Rod Carew and company and remember going to the Twin Cities to watch the Twins and Red Sox play a double header every year I was in little league.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I play with all fictional players but real teams. It is essentially my own alternative universe.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Yarideki
Minors (Double A)

OOTP Preference

I suppose I'll throw my grain of salt into the pile. I've given each method at least a shot and I have found each to appeal to a different desire of mine. I've been on a fictional kick lately because I dug up an old save file from OOTP 18 with a pitcher who I can say I'm more interested in than IRL players. While in this file I play GM only, I will at some point transition to GM/Manager to give myself more attachment to my players. I would encourage everyone to at least try playing out every game of a season, minor leagues or majors, to see just how attached you can get to your players. Plus it's nice to sit up in the box seats (or anywhere in the stands) and watch your little players do their things.

That being said, I also have a manager only save file going where I took the reigns of the Detroit Tigers and plan to stay with the franchise for as long as I can, through bad times and good. While I'm only midway through my first season in this file, I've certainly grown attached to my (fairly bad) squad and had a few choice words with my fictional GM when someone I liked got traded away. Some days I will play every pitch and other days I will use the one pitch option but I make it a point to play every game. When you combine this with creating a camera angle from the dugout it's quite the experience.

I have tried historical and random historical and I plan to revisit them again but thus far I think my main attraction is either fictional, real-life, or a hybrid of those two. Perhaps in my next attempt at historical I'll play manager only so that I have to make the best of the players that I've been given whether it's Honus Wagner or Mario Mendoza.

On another note, on a whim I tried playing a manager only mode as a minor league manager and as with detroit I started caring more for these players than their IRL counterparts. Of course, I will add that the broadcasting in OOTP being much more tolerable and much higher quality than the broadcasting of IRL games, radio or televised, plays a small factor in this.

In the end, the fact that we and I can have all of these various playstyles and actually enjoy them speaks volumes to what the crew here have accomplished.
Yarideki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Reggie
Major Leagues

If I was paid by the hour to create fictional leagues I would be filthy rich. And I didn't really get into fictional leagues until a few years ago. I've also done numerous MLB leagues but I always peter out about mid season for some reason.

I'm in year 1 of my latest fictional league about 75 games in. Played every game out so far and for some unknown reason I'm really into this one. Sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night and go backup my game onto an external hard drive. I might have a problem.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
Orioles123
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarideki View Post
I suppose I'll throw my grain of salt into the pile. I've given each method at least a shot and I have found each to appeal to a different desire of mine. I've been on a fictional kick lately because I dug up an old save file from OOTP 18 with a pitcher who I can say I'm more interested in than IRL players. While in this file I play GM only, I will at some point transition to GM/Manager to give myself more attachment to my players. I would encourage everyone to at least try playing out every game of a season, minor leagues or majors, to see just how attached you can get to your players. Plus it's nice to sit up in the box seats (or anywhere in the stands) and watch your little players do their things.

That being said, I also have a manager only save file going where I took the reigns of the Detroit Tigers and plan to stay with the franchise for as long as I can, through bad times and good. While I'm only midway through my first season in this file, I've certainly grown attached to my (fairly bad) squad and had a few choice words with my fictional GM when someone I liked got traded away. Some days I will play every pitch and other days I will use the one pitch option but I make it a point to play every game. When you combine this with creating a camera angle from the dugout it's quite the experience.

I have tried historical and random historical and I plan to revisit them again but thus far I think my main attraction is either fictional, real-life, or a hybrid of those two. Perhaps in my next attempt at historical I'll play manager only so that I have to make the best of the players that I've been given whether it's Honus Wagner or Mario Mendoza.

On another note, on a whim I tried playing a manager only mode as a minor league manager and as with detroit I started caring more for these players than their IRL counterparts. Of course, I will add that the broadcasting in OOTP being much more tolerable and much higher quality than the broadcasting of IRL games, radio or televised, plays a small factor in this.

In the end, the fact that we and I can have all of these various playstyles and actually enjoy them speaks volumes to what the crew here have accomplished.
Can you show me the camera view?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #13
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I start with the current rosters so I'm familiar with the players, expand the league to 36 teams, and import historical players and teams to make up the difference in the amount of MLB quality players. I then do a Fantasy Draft. As seasons go by I import other historical players here and there and make them available as free agents. Eventually every league becomes fictional as players retire, but by the time that happens I'm pretty familiar with all of the players.

I also like to create a league of all historical players by importing historical teams all different levels of quality from all of the different eras, then holding a Fantasy Draft. I stick to the 36 team league I have (saved as a template) and import about 42 historical teams to fill 36 MLB rosters and some of the minor league rosters.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
texasmame
All Star Starter

Real players based on their career averages on fake teams.

I play each game out during the RL baseball season, typically finishing up about the time the RL baseball playoffs begin.

This is my 12 season, so 12th IRL year with OOTP. I've won the title 9 times with 4 different teams (Granite City Krazy Kats (4), Curlville Pubies (3), Hoboken Haymakers (1), Dakota Rushmores(1) ).

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.

Last edited by texasmame; 08-23-2018 at 09:32 AM.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I like what-if leagues.
Like what if Stan Musial stayed a pitcher, Fidrych never got hurt, all of every teams starters died in ww2, the Giants moved to Tokyo in 1958 with the Dodgers going to Mexico City,, junk like that. It can get very interesting.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #16
Yarideki
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles123 View Post
Can you show me the camera view?
Sure thing, I have to do them for each dugout for each ballpark but here's a quick one that I made while my team is in Seattle.
Attached Images
Old 08-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #17
DaBears
Major Leagues

That is an awesome view! I have tried to do dugout camera angles but always felt like it narrowed the field too much and I missed key plays.

Curious how you have done Fenway given how far down the line the dugouts are. Would you mind posting that one?
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #18
Orioles123
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Sure thing, I have to do them for each dugout for each ballpark but here's a quick one that I made while my team is in Seattle.
Can do show me the coordinates?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
Yarideki
Minors (Double A)

Dugout Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
That is an awesome view! I have tried to do dugout camera angles but always felt like it narrowed the field too much and I missed key plays.

Curious how you have done Fenway given how far down the line the dugouts are. Would you mind posting that one?
I do not have Fenway done yet, unfortunately, as I have yet to play there this season. However, I had to put the FOV at 69 to get this view to work properly in Seattle. Most of the time I play in the Classic 3D with the 3/4 view of the field since my computer cannot handle full-screen 3D smoothly enough for my liking. A lot of getting to this view is this is changing to target setting from "global" to "cam target", messing around with dragging the mouse while holding left click or right click until I get to the dugout using the scroll wheel to zoom when needed. Then saving the view when I'm reasonably happy with it. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get far enough from the wall. I'm sure someone else has a more scientific method though than my flailing about though.

As for narrowing the field, unfortunately it does do that a bit, unless you really mess with the FOV and then end up with a bit of a fisheye camera. If you use the fullscreen 3D in Classic or the Modern 3D, you'll have the fullscreen field which will be easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles123 View Post
Can do show me the coordinates?
I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I think this is something in the OOTP3D file isn't it?

Last edited by Yarideki; 08-20-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #20
Orioles123
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I do not have Fenway done yet, unfortunately, as I have yet to play there this season. However, I had to put the FOV at 69 to get this view to work properly in Seattle. Most of the time I play in the Classic 3D with the 3/4 view of the field since my computer cannot handle full-screen 3D smoothly enough for my liking. A lot of getting to this view is this is changing to target setting from "global" to "cam target", messing around with dragging the mouse while holding left click or right click until I get to the dugout using the scroll wheel to zoom when needed. Then saving the view when I'm reasonably happy with it. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get far enough from the wall. I'm sure someone else has a more scientific method though than my flailing about though.

As for narrowing the field, unfortunately it does do that a bit, unless you really mess with the FOV and then end up with a bit of a fisheye camera. If you use the fullscreen 3D in Classic or the Modern 3D, you'll have the fullscreen field which will be easier to work with.
Is it hard to see the field like and the key moments?