Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Should I release a player that is 3 K's from the all-time record

Won-il 'Sparrow' Kim is one of the greatest pitchers in KBL history. He is the career leader in wins, WAR, and is top 10 in ERA and WHIP. He is only 2 strikeout for tying the career mark for K's. The problem is that he has no business in an ML uniform anymore.

Cleveland is already near the bottom of the league so should I continue to force start Kim until he finally breaks the record or would it cheapen the record since it will probably take him 5 starts just to get 3 K's?
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
polydamas
All Star Reserve

It's only two strikeouts; I'd go for it
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

What's the point of a record if it has been attained without merit?
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

I'd let him go for it too and try and get the record.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
Kent814
All Star Reserve

The biggest reason i play ootp is for individual accomplishment and not team success. Im not building a team to win a world series, i just want records HoFers and league leaders. A world series is a bonus but on a last place team absolutely keep him, IRL a team would get so much crap for releasing a dude 2 Ks away from the record.
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Trebro
All Star Reserve

If you aren't in a pennant race, let him get it.

Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
mpbaseball22
Minors (Single A)

Yea what he said ^

Whats his popularity?
mpbaseball22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #8
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

he is extremely popular. He's currently in game, getting hammered again, but he got 2 K's! only 1 more for the record

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 08-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Keep him and maybe he will get a Disney movie.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

He did it! After 2 more dreadful games, he finally barely did it. The all-time strikeout king! Though it was disappointing that there was no news story. Kim has now "retired" from the KBL and joined his hometown, Daegu Polar Bears of the EABA. He won his 1st start there while allowing 6 runs and striking out 1. Daegu's in the playoff hunt so I doubt they will be as forgiving.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Kent814
All Star Reserve

How old is 3rd place Irmochi Kikuchi?
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Kikuchi is probably my favorite pitcher of all time. He has been devastated by injuries the second half of his career. If he had remained healthy, he would be leading every major career pitching record.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 EXPOS View Post
What's the point of a record if it has been attained without merit?
How do you know? Maybe the current holder took half a season to get his last 3K's

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #14
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
How do you know? Maybe the current holder took half a season to get his last 3K's
I personally would not want a record that required me to make a fool of myself in order to get it. You can have your record...I would keep my pride thanks.

If some other guy made a fool of himself to get the record in the first place then all pity to him and I could care less....at least Bonds, in all his juiced up arrogance did it in style...if it was real life this guy would be laughing stock.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #15
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 expos
if it was real life this guy would be laughing stock.

Sorry, but I disagree. The MLB is littered with players who stuck around too long, and certainly people might think it was sad he stuck around past his prime. But "laughing stock"? Not remotely. When you hold a hallowed record like that, no one is picking holes in your record. (How many of those strikeouts came against pitchers, etc.)

Consider Steve Carlton. Arguably one of the best LHP ever. Stuck around for some truly horrible few last seasons. Does anyone remember him as a laughing stock?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #16
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

i think in real life the debate would be about the same as it is in this thread. Some will laugh at him, some would cheer for him

Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #17
battists
Hall Of Famer

At the time it was happening, I don't doubt there would be debate, and people with disparaging things to say, especially in the modern world of sports talk radio and anonymous internet thread commenting.

That said, as time passes, I still don't think most people would look back on Kim and feel like his record was "tainted" because he hung around longer than he should to get those three Ks.

Just my two cents tho.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Keep him
But move him to the bullpen

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I would have suggested letting him get the 2 strikeouts needed, and then retire having tied the record. Still keeps his names mentioned, but it "honours" the previous record holder too.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #20
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. The MLB is littered with players who stuck around too long, and certainly people might think it was sad he stuck around past his prime. But "laughing stock"? Not remotely. When you hold a hallowed record like that, no one is picking holes in your record. (How many of those strikeouts came against pitchers, etc.)

Consider Steve Carlton. Arguably one of the best LHP ever. Stuck around for some truly horrible few last seasons. Does anyone remember him as a laughing stock?

Some perspective as to where my 'high and mighty' point of view comes from.....I work in a field where statistics are regularly used to determine policy and internal promotion that affects the public....I have encountered numerous examples where the manipulation of numbers is used for personal or political gain at the expense of dealing with the real issue at hand....this pisses me off....I will take integrity over ego every time....

You bring up Steve Carlton.....was he chasing a specific record?....if not it does not bear weight on this debate....if Carlton was pitching for love of the game or because he couldn't let go (likely a bit of both I imagine) that is substantially different then going to the hill every fifth day with nothing in the tank in an effort to put your name in a book.

As a counter point I will give you two examples of athletes that retired with class.....Derek Jeter stayed just the right amount of time...could he have used his name and skill set to hang on for another couple of years as a DH/1B occasional SS? Sure, but he knew his time as a premier player was over and it was time to call it a day.....Second, Barry Sanders. Out of loyalty and wise personal insight he walked away from a dysfunctional organization at the top of his game instead of continuing to plug away with the Lions and/or forcing a trade. That was his choice and I applaud him for it. Records? When you talk about the greatest RBs of all time, Sanders name always comes up (often on top), despite his lack of all time records.

The pitcher in our example here was undeniably a great player. His time had come. The only thing attaining the strikeout record would do is cause his legacy to be (in small part) to be questioned. Attaining the record would not affect his HOF chances or provide any other substantial benefit except to be remembered as 'that guy'.....it is our sports culture's infatuation with specific numbers that has caused the most grief in baseball.....I don't want to remember Sammy Sosa at all....I would like to remember Barry Bonds as a great 5 tool player, yet all I see is a roided up egomaniac....Mark McGwire's post record feelings and comments are very revealing and have allowed me to gain respect back for him.

FINALLY, in relation to OOTP in this example.....if there is human 'interference' involved in Mr Kim's record does this change your opinion of the matter? I note that Kim was out of baseball in 2021 after his horrible 2020 season. Was he manually signed by 'jpeters' who admittedly force started him (and presumably retired him) just to get the record? From my perspective this does not work for me...it is the same as going in to the editor and just adding a bunch of K's to his total.

But....to quote many wise old posters on this site "it is your game play it your way" and I wish Mr Kim nothing but the best in his retirement.