Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Bucs & Falcons new threads

Tampa

Problem w/the Bucs are the colors. The orange & gray (or pewter which I think is the official name of the color) just doesn't work together when you allow them both to be dominant. I do like the all-whites though. It's just not going to look as good w/the gray helmets.

Atlanta

Just ugly. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Another reason for me to hate the Falcons. Atrocious. They look like they should be for the Atlanta XFL expansion franchise.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
low
Hall Of Famer

Why does it always have to be some elaborate, million-dollar production video where you barely get to see anything? Just give me some pics, FFS.

That said, they both aren't great, but Tampa's improved. Those things they wore the last few years were awful.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

The early Tampa Bay uniforms and helmets were good. About the only team who wore urnge that I could tolerate. Since then awful. The Falcons have always sucked.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

"urnge"?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
"urnge"?
Orange. One of the ugliest uniforms in the history of the NFL.

I don't mind the Bucs uniform. But I think they would look a lot better with white helmets, same logo.

The Falcons are a disappointment to me. I know a lot of people won't agree, but I think they have had many nice uniforms in the past. This is not one of them. They have devolved.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Orange. One of the ugliest uniforms in the history of the NFL.

I don't mind the Bucs uniform. But I think they would look a lot better with white helmets, same logo.

The Falcons are a disappointment to me. I know a lot of people won't agree, but I think they have had many nice uniforms in the past. This is not one of them. They have devolved.
I know. I just thought it was funny. Cause being in the south, I know plenty of people who would pronounce it the way he spelled it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I know. I just thought it was funny. Cause being in the south, I know plenty of people who would pronounce it the way he spelled it.
That's why I spelled it that way. Geez, you try to do a good deed around here...…………….
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Summer after my freshman year of college I worked a construction job with a number of guys from Georgia. Did OK with most of them, but I honestly thought one had a speech impediment. It wasn't until I visited Georgia that I realized that it was a very prevalent impediment!

It wasn't too bad when he was close enough to listen carefully, but when he was 75 feet up a tower yelling for you to pull on a rope or get a certain tool sent up, it was very tough!

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
Summer after my freshman year of college I worked a construction job with a number of guys from Georgia. Did OK with most of them, but I honestly thought one had a speech impediment. It wasn't until I visited Georgia that I realized that it was a very prevalent impediment!

It wasn't too bad when he was close enough to listen carefully, but when he was 75 feet up a tower yelling for you to pull on a rope or get a certain tool sent up, it was very tough!
I lived in Virginia for 10 years. Northern Virginia was fine. But once you got into lower Virginia it began to be dicey.
And we had baseball tournaments all over the American southeast. North and South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama.

They could not understand my thick German accent and I could not understand their thick regional southern accent.
The longer I lived there the easier it got.
Once I went to college at UVA with students from all over it got dicey again. Some of them were born and raised in NYC or the upper Midwest or New England and were very hard to understand.

But the hardest time I have ever had understanding anyone who spoke English was a fellow who was a former co-worker from Iverness Scotland.
He has an incredibly thick Scottish highlands accent.
He was also very excitable with a high pitched voice that would go higher as his stress level went up. and we worked in investments/energy and rare earth metal commodities. So we would communicate a lot of numbers and long names of metals and forms of crude oil.
I could never understand about 70% of what he said.
And it was a high stress job it just got worse as the day went on.

I worked with several non native English speakers at that job whom I could understand perfectly vs him.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL do they really? I know out west they pronounce it sounding like it starts with an "Or" instead of an "are" like most people in the northeast.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL do they really? I know out west they pronounce it sounding like it starts with an "Or" instead of an "are" like most people in the northeast.
The southern accent is a sort of "lazy" way to speak. We kind of blend syllables together and make new sounds. So "or-ange" becomes "urnge". As teens, my brother and I used to describe thick southern accents as "speaking NASCAR" or "coach" for southern football coaches.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The southern accent is a sort of "lazy" way to speak. We kind of blend syllables together and make new sounds. So "or-ange" becomes "urnge". As teens, my brother and I used to describe thick southern accents as "speaking NASCAR" or "coach" for southern football coaches.
Well I say are-ange. .

Just curious, and I'm not looking for a discussion on this topic. But can you separate the two words poor and pour? Or do they sound the same to you?
Old 04-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well I say are-ange. .

Just curious, and I'm not looking for a discussion on this topic. But can you separate the two words poor and pour? Or do they sound the same to you?
I always thought they had the same pronunciation.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I always thought they had the same pronunciation.
I find that most people do. I hear it differently. There is a slight difference.

I find myself having a problem when talking to people that use the word poor. I think they are either saying port or pour. But O'well.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I find that most people do. I hear it differently. There is a slight difference.

I find myself having a problem when talking to people that use the word poor. I think they are either saying port or pour. But O'well.
Really? That is interesting. I wonder if there is such a thing as, IDK, audio dyslexia or audio "blindness". You know how some people are unable to detect or distinguish certain colors or letters? I wonder if that is possible w/hearing....................
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #16
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really? That is interesting. I wonder if there is such a thing as, IDK, audio dyslexia or audio "blindness". You know how some people are unable to detect or distinguish certain colors or letters? I wonder if that is possible w/hearing....................
I think there is something to that. It's hard to introduce something new if it doesn't exist to that person. It can be very difficult in regards to color and hearing. Or could it be me hearing something that doesn't exist?

To me poor rhymes with lure. Pour rhymes with whore. But whenever I used that example people would see no difference. Lure and Lore does not sound the same to me. To others it does.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #17
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The all-pewter look for the Bucs is great and in general I like what is basically a return to the look and feel that they had in the early 2000s. The only thing that would beat that for me is if they went back to the Creamsicle outfits but at that I understand that many, many others would hate that.

Here's a SN uniform ranking that I agree with (chiefly, that the Seahawks' uni is ranked 2nd) and which is therefore correct:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...b15mjpe8r0r5my
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think there is something to that. It's hard to introduce something new if it doesn't exist to that person. It can be very difficult in regards to color and hearing. Or could it be me hearing something that doesn't exist?

To me poor rhymes with lure. Pour rhymes with whore. But whenever I used that example people would see no difference. Lure and Lore does not sound the same to me. To others it does.
If I heard "poor" rhyming w/"lure", my ears would hear "pure".
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post

Here's a SN uniform ranking that I agree with (chiefly, that the Seahawks' uni is ranked 2nd) and which is therefore correct:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...b15mjpe8r0r5my
UGH! I despise the Seahawks. My eyes have seen the gory!

My faves are the Raiders, Steelers (not the color rush) & the Bills (again, no color rush). Surprisingly, I like the Jets despite not liking the color green on clothing. Go figure. Monochrome uni's don't do it for me unless all white.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The Raiders were probably ranked too low. I'm a big fan of the Hawks unis but of course I'm a Seattle native so I'm biased in that direction. The Steelers and Cowboys both rank highly in that, which I agree with in spite of my strong dislike of both teams. I posted that mainly because I mostly agree with their assessment of the Falcons and Bucs. I do think people are making too much of the "ATL" on the Falcons' uniform, and I like the move back to the maroon, white, and black combinations. Even them in all white is something I can live with.

Seattle's color rush is, ahem, controversial. I remember thinking it was super garish when it first came out, and it's still pretty far in that direction, but there are worse things out there and nobody can say that the bright green isn't noticeable. I do mostly agree, too, with them giving relatively low ratings to the Browns and Colts. The Browns' new unis are a little meh but TBH they've always been the epitome of NFL boring. The same goes for the Colts, and maybe they're even worse, as horseshoe looks 1950s campy rather than "classy and old" the way the logos of, say, the Yankees or the Detroit Tigers look.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote