Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #21
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablobj View Post
"Said the Giants Black centerfielder"....what the???
The Giants' AZL teams are named Giants Black and Giants Orange.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-08-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

[QUOTE=Lukas Berger;4619306]The Giants' AZL teams are named Giants Black and Giants Orange.[/QUOTE

Ahh, ok...I knew there had to be a logical explanation, lol.
ablobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #23
chazzycat
All Star Starter

[snip] redundant
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #24
Chomps
Major Leagues

If the game has baseball players/prospects leave for football, it should also have football players come into the MLB. Example, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, and of course Tim Tebow
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #25
JC769
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
If the game has baseball players/prospects leave for football, it should also have football players come into the MLB. Example, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, and of course Tim Tebow
Deion and Bo were both drafted by MLB teams.
JC769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 AM   #26
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I think Charlie Ward was a first round draft pick by MLB...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #27
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I think Charlie Ward was a first round draft pick by MLB...
Didn't the Yankees take him in the 1st
Rnd?
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #28
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Didn't the Yankees take him in the 1st
Rnd?
...and by “first”, I mean “18th”...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 04-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #29
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
To add to that, while this may be a long-shot, it would be nice to have an advanced storyline telling us that it MIGHT happen to said player. Like, the A's and Mariners knew Kyler and Russ would probably play football. In OOTP, you have no clue until it happens.
This is a good idea and i wonder if this can be done for the storyline?

Adds a little character to the draft.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #30
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSoonerAMH View Post
Nope. He absolutely signed with the Athletics. He paid back all but $210k of the $1.5M of the $4.66M signing bonus that he’d already been paid and forfeited the remainder. Also the Athletics own the rights to him, and have him on the MiLB restricted list indefinitely. It’s similar to Russell Wilson’s situation, albeit he was never the prospect that Murray was.
Not only that, but in Murray's case, the A's also did not get a compensation pick because he signed with them. If he had not signed they would have gotten a compensation pick in 2019.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #31
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
lol a few things wrong with that. But to sum it up...A 18 year old 6’1 DE entering the NFL draft!
I agree that this storyline could use some work, but I don't know enough about football to create realistic conditions for it. What sort of position would a baseball player play on a football team? Wasn't Deion Sanders a wide receiver? A defensive lineman seems a bit off, unless you're Cecil Fielder. What weight/height parameters are suitable for what positions?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #32
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Top prospect leaves my team for football

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I agree that this storyline could use some work, but I don't know enough about football to create realistic conditions for it. What sort of position would a baseball player play on a football team? Wasn't Deion Sanders a wide receiver? A defensive lineman seems a bit off, unless you're Cecil Fielder. What weight/height parameters are suitable for what positions?

Quarterback have been the most common over the years.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a Defensive lineman irl. Even Athletic Boo Jackson was a running back.

Btw Deon Sanders played Defensive Back/Wide Receiver.

But if there ever was a large football player who also played baseball and maybe was about 6’7 250, he would most likely be either a Tight End or a Linebacker but even at that weight he probably would be a quarterback if he had any kind of arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-10-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #33
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a Defensive lineman irl. Even Athletic Boo Jackson was a running back.

But if there ever was a large football player who also played baseball and maybe was about 6’7 250, he would most likely be either a Tight End or a Linebacker but even at that weight he probably would be a quarterback if he had any kind of arm.

That's all excellent information, thanks!

Are there any minimums or maximums that I should be aware of? For instance, it's pretty much given that a player has to be at least 6' tall to be a major-league pitcher. Are there any comparable "rules of thumb" for football players. Also, I assume that most every NFL draftee is a college senior, which means they're mostly 21-22 years old. Are there any exceptions to that rule? Does the NFL have an age cut-off for draft classes?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #34
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's all excellent information, thanks!

Are there any minimums or maximums that I should be aware of? For instance, it's pretty much given that a player has to be at least 6' tall to be a major-league pitcher. Are there any comparable "rules of thumb" for football players. Also, I assume that most every NFL draftee is a college senior, which means they're mostly 21-22 years old. Are there any exceptions to that rule? Does the NFL have an age cut-off for draft classes?

Under 6’0 is usually short for the NFL but there have been some great players under 6’0.

College football players are eligible for the NFL draft after they are 3 years removed from high school.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #35
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Frank Thomas is probably the closest it gets in baseball. He was a tight end in college for Auburn before deciding on baseball instead. He's 6'5" and was 240 pounds during his MLB career.

I actually think OL/DL is not really a good position to put in OOTP, even if you're not going to have "minimum weight" type restrictions for the storyline. Linemen on both sides of the line have BMIs that are just plain not allowed in baseball until a player gets older. When a 22 year old baseball player comes out of college at that size, he's pretty much instantly dismissed. A good example of this is in the reverse, with Jeremy Brown, who of course was widely panned even though he played a position that didn't require speed and he did a lot of other things (especially drawing walks) really well (and he continued to draw walks in the minors, and even in Billy Beane's system he got a grand total of 10 at-bats in the major leagues).

Keep it with the "skill" positions, and at that probably defensive back or wide receiver, maybe quarterback. It would be kind of funny to see a guy quit baseball to become a kicker or a punter though, I have to admit...
Old 04-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #36
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
College football players are eligible for the NFL draft after they are 3 years removed from high school.
So realistically, we're talking 21-year olds. What's the age cut-off for MLB? Isn't it 18? Given that difference, maybe the best way to edit the storyline is to make the player choose college football over baseball, rather than have him entering the NFL draft. That might also open up the possibility that the player will change his mind later and decide to pursue baseball (just tossing out some thoughts here -- I'm not sure if that's possible with the current storyline model).
Old 04-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #37
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So realistically, we're talking 21-year olds. What's the age cut-off for MLB? Isn't it 18? Given that difference, maybe the best way to edit the storyline is to make the player choose college football over baseball, rather than have him entering the NFL draft. That might also open up the possibility that the player will change his mind later and decide to pursue baseball (just tossing out some thoughts here -- I'm not sure if that's possible with the current storyline model).
Yes, 18 is the cut off for MLB draft. Players skipping out to go play college football after they have signed could also be a possibility. I would also add it for college players who decided to skip pro baseball to play pro football as well. The min age for that would be 21 and made for college draftees only. If possible, I would set the max age to 22 or 23.

High school draftees deciding to go to college to play baseball (and possibly another sport as well, then come back to baseball full time) is simulated somewhat when HS players don’t sign then come back into the draft years later.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-10-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #38
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, 18 is the cut off for MLB draft. Players skipping out to go play college football after they have signed could also be a possibility. I would also add it for college players who decided to skip pro baseball to play pro football as well. The min age for that would be 21 and made for college draftees only. If possible, I would set the max age to 22 or 23.
Lots of moving parts here I'll have to take a closer look at this over the weekend to get a sense of what can and can't be done to improve this storyline.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:16 AM   #39
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Frank Thomas is probably the closest it gets in baseball. He was a tight end in college for Auburn before deciding on baseball instead. He's 6'5" and was 240 pounds during his MLB career.

I actually think OL/DL is not really a good position to put in OOTP, even if you're not going to have "minimum weight" type restrictions for the storyline. Linemen on both sides of the line have BMIs that are just plain not allowed in baseball until a player gets older. When a 22 year old baseball player comes out of college at that size, he's pretty much instantly dismissed. A good example of this is in the reverse, with Jeremy Brown, who of course was widely panned even though he played a position that didn't require speed and he did a lot of other things (especially drawing walks) really well (and he continued to draw walks in the minors, and even in Billy Beane's system he got a grand total of 10 at-bats in the major leagues).

Keep it with the "skill" positions, and at that probably defensive back or wide receiver, maybe quarterback. It would be kind of funny to see a guy quit baseball to become a kicker or a punter though, I have to admit...
Jeff Samardzija is also 6'5" 240 and played TE at Notre Dame. Realistically, yeah, it would be best to limit it to skill positions, or QB, RB, WR,TE, DB. QB storylines should be for players 5'10"+, RB, WR, DB storylines should mainly be limited to speedy players, TE storylines should be limited to bigger players like Samardzija/Aaron Judge type guys.

IMO, the storyline should mainly be limited to college juniors and seniors because college football players can still play professional baseball. A draftee will definitely decide on if he will play baseball or not if he's entering the NFL draft, but his decision to sign a draftee contract/play baseball wont be affected by him deciding to play college football.

Last edited by itsmb8; 04-11-2020 at 02:42 AM.
itsmb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #40
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Not to quibble too much but there are three quarterbacks who have played in the NFL in the Super Bowl Era who are under 6 feet tall. Granted, two of them (Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray) are playing now, but at that Wilson put up some amazing numbers in college (and in retrospect was clearly the best QB a loaded 2012 draft) but slipped to the 3rd round because people thought he was too short to play the position.