Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Yes, that's the one thing the players need: A weekend dedicated to themselves. Because being a baseball player is so hard these days, what with the slave wadges and poor treatment and all.
Exactly!

And where is Chris Sale when you need him to cut up some butt-ugly uniforms!?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #22
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, that's the one thing the players need: A weekend dedicated to themselves. Because being a baseball player is so hard these days, what with the slave wadges and poor treatment and all.

So now, along with all that obnoxious "walk-up" music, they can have their nicknames plastered on the back of their jerseys to feel good about themselves. And I'm sure the national profile of Mike Trout just zoomed skyward now that he has a nickname. Knocked LeBron right off his perch.

I'm sure the line outside the Dicks Sporting Goods store in Miami must have been five miles long this morning, with all those Marlins fans dying to get a hold of one.
Actually, Trout’s name on the back of his jersey was “A. Cox” to honor his late brother in law who recently passed away.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #23
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Of course, the one guy I single out used the nickname for a noble reason.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #24
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Baseball needs personality, more emotion, less stuffiness. More bat flips, celebrations after getting a much needed strikeout. At the end of the day it is ENTERTAINMENT!
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #25
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

It is about entertainment, but I expect more from entertainment than clashing colors, hideous clown shoes, and Dilly Dilly nicknames. As far as levels of entertainment go, the twisted madness that was the Players' Weekend Saturnalia is probably on the same level as a stumbling kid, dropping his ice cream into some dog poo. But eh, to each his own?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #26
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:

So now, along with all that obnoxious "walk-up" music, they can have their nicknames plastered on the back of their jerseys to feel good about themselves. And I'm sure the national profile of Mike Trout just zoomed skyward now that he has a nickname. Knocked LeBron right off his perch.
it's like the hidden rules of the game don't exist. the image rebuild to be gradual, but go back the good ol' days, why dontcha?

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.

Last edited by TC Dale; 08-29-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Edited for content. Talk Sports is NOT OTD. Thanks.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Warning
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #27
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, those were some dead dog ugly uniforms. Sale really should have gotten the scissors out.

Irony alert: In my random debut league, Sale is a six-time Pitcher of the Year winner. From 1901-1911...the era in which those infamous White Sox jerseys he destroyed would have originally been the norm. Some kind of OOTP cosmic karma, methinks.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #28
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Baseball needs personality, more emotion, less stuffiness. More bat flips, celebrations after getting a much needed strikeout. At the end of the day it is ENTERTAINMENT!

That I can agree with. Certainly in terms of pitching. Nothing beats a 98 mph fastball placed right underneath someone's chin.

But unfortunately. gone are the days of Thurman Munson body slamming Bill Lee, Nolan Ryan using Robin Ventura's head as a speed bag, etc. MLB is so image sensitive now, they don't want that. All they want is launch angles, happy horse poop, and nick-name jerseys.

Nick-name jerseys...

Heck, Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson... Those guys threw at peoples' heads... on purpose! Those were BALLPLAYERS. They had far more character and toughness than these sniveling, twitter babies like David Price. How awesome would it be if David Price had to pitch 45 years ago, when no one cared about pitch counts. Watch him as he keeps looking over his shoulder at the bullpen in the 7th inning, seeing it quiet as his pitch count mounts past <GASP> 90. Then, when he comes to bat, someone breaks his face with a fastball for taking forever to throw a pitch.

Don't like Bryce Harper flipping the bat? Good. Knock him down, then bury a fastball in the side of his ribs. Repeatedly. Let him charge the mound. THAT is entertainment.

Last edited by drksd4848; 08-28-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #29
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
That I can agree with. Certainly in terms of pitching. Nothing beats a 98 mph fastball placed right underneath someone's chin.

But unfortunately. gone are the days of Thurman Munson body slamming Bill Lee, Nolan Ryan using Robin Ventura's head as a speed bag, etc. MLB is so image sensitive now, they don't want that. All they want is launch angles, happy horse poop, and nick-name jerseys.

Nick-name jerseys...

Heck, Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson... Those guys threw at peoples' heads... on purpose! Those were BALLPLAYERS. They had far more character and toughness than these sniveling, twitter babies like David Price. How awesome would it be if David Price had to pitch 45 years ago, when no one cared about pitch counts. Watch him as he keeps looking over his shoulder at the bullpen in the 7th inning, seeing it quiet as his pitch count mounts past <GASP> 90. Then, when he comes to bat, someone breaks his face with a fastball for taking forever to throw a pitch.

Don't like Bryce Harper flipping the bat? Good. Knock him down, then bury a fastball in the side of his ribs. Repeatedly. Let him charge the mound. THAT is entertainment.

Err....I take a more restrained approach. I like players having a good time with nicknames and showing more personalities. I also am about the game, (just like society) evolving. I think of a bat flip as not showing up the pitcher, but celebrating an achievment just like scoring a touchdown.
Lets be real these guys aren't suits, and I don't want them to behave as one.

Baseball needs to get over some of these unwritten rules and enter the 21st century. They need their younger audience to catch on.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #30
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Err....I take a more restrained approach. I like players having a good time with nicknames and showing more personalities. I also am about the game, (just like society) evolving. I think of a bat flip as not showing up the pitcher, but celebrating an achievment just like scoring a touchdown.

Baseball needs to get over some of these unwritten rules and enter the 21st century. They need their younger audience to catch on.
I couldn’t agree more with this. Committing assault on a guy because he’s happy he did something good or simply because they are good at baseball is stupid.

Apparently it’s wrong to be happy you hit a homerun but perfectly acceptable to have a temper tantrum and throw a baseball 100mph at an opponent because they were happy or good. How does that even make sense? Which one of these is really disrespecting the game? Throwing a baseball at someone or showing emotion when you do something to help your team?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #31
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Hey, why not step it up a bit with the FUN and for Players' Bonanza 2019 instead let them put their twitter handles on the uniforms?

Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #32
TC Dale
Global Moderator

Please folks, remember that Talk Sports falls under the main forum posting guidelines, and that posting Off Topic Debates forum type posts are not going to be allowed. Warning was given, and if this trend continues, expect more of the same.

Please continue the discussion, and debate accordingly. Thanks. If you need a refresher, read the stickied post at the top of the Talk Sports subforum, or click this link: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=210733

Thanks.
TC Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #33
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:

Fair enough... I agree.

I suppose there was a reason why the game evolved from head hunting. The Ray Chapman incident comes to mind. (I think that was his name.)

Let me put it this way, in a more muted tone. I'd like to see the baseball have a little bit more of an edge. I don't mind bat flipping and celebrating at all, but I also don't mind pitching inside to send a message. Obviously, no one needs to get killed.

Last edited by drksd4848; 08-29-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #34
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fair enough... I agree.

I suppose there was a reason why the game evolved from head hunting. The Ray Chapman incident comes to mind. (I think that was his name.)

Let me put it this way, in a more muted tone. I'd like to see the baseball have a little bit more of an edge. I don't mind bat flipping and celebrating at all, but I also don't mind pitching inside to send a message. Obviously, no one needs to get killed.

I think intent is key here. Pitching inside to make a player uncomfortable is a long established strategy. The intent is to get the hitter’s feet moving and not to hit him. If you’re throwing with intent to hit, you are throwing with intent to injure and I do have a problem with that.

On the topic of baseball having edge, I somewhat agree. I support the Buster Posey rule and I agreed slides to break up the double play needed to be looked at. In the case of double play slides, I think they went too far. Taking hard, late and/or scissor kicking slides of the game was a good thing. But at the same time they removed all contract from the position. Slides near the base and spikes down to contest the double play were never the problem. Again, one makes the fielder move his feet the other is intended to blow up the fielder. Both are now banned and treated as equal in the rules. I don’t like that.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #35
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
I think intent is key here. Pitching inside to make a player uncomfortable is a long established strategy. The intent is to get the hitter’s feet moving and not to hit him. If you’re throwing with intent to hit, you are throwing with intent to injure and I do have a problem with that.

On the topic of baseball having edge, I somewhat agree. I support the Buster Posey rule and I agreed slides to break up the double play needed to be looked at. In the case of double play slides, I think they went too far. Taking hard, late and/or scissor kicking slides of the game was a good thing. But at the same time they removed all contract from the position. Slides near the base and spikes down to contest the double play were never the problem. Again, one makes the fielder move his feet the other is intended to blow up the fielder. Both are now banned and treated as equal in the rules. I don’t like that.

There are ways to drill guys without permanent injury. I favor that whole heatedly. Knock 'em down. I also still stand by a good 98mph room service fastball. Heck, Nolan Ryan made a living doing that, and was effective because of it. Hard slides when the player goes out of the way to injure is a no no. But if a fielder is in the way of the base runner, steam roll him. MLB doesn't want any of that. I think MLB is sucking out the competitiveness of the game out.

The LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES was more interesting to watch than Major League Baseball.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #36
psd
Major Leagues

Quote:
There are ways to drill guys without permanent injury. I favor that whole heatedly. Knock 'em down. I also still stand by a good 98mph room service fastball. Heck, Nolan Ryan made a living doing that, and was effective because of it. Hard slides when the player goes out of the way to injure is a no no. But if a fielder is in the way of the base runner, steam roll him. MLB doesn't want any of that. I think MLB is sucking out the competitiveness of the game out.
Sure. Until your 98 mph "room service" fastball knocks at the wrong door. Or your way to "drill the guy without permanent injury" gets away from you and instead of catching the guy in the ribs, it hits him square in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IInlSTijOMA

Here is a compilation of "room service"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IyDJrX15s

Sure. Drill guys. What can possibly go wrong??

Don Henley
psd is offline   Reply With Quote