Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Coaches

Just wondering - has anything come out about the coaching staffs, like how detailed they will be and whether or not they will be real?

Also, will it be possible to make retired players into coaches in commissioner mode, like in ootp?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedlion14 View Post
Just wondering - has anything come out about the coaching staffs, like how detailed they will be and whether or not they will be real?

Also, will it be possible to make retired players into coaches in commissioner mode, like in ootp?
There will be coaches but the level detail for the first version hasn't been decided yet.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Coaching is such a huge part of football, I agree that it should be a huge part of the success of a team. In baseball, a manager is more or less a babysitter/psychologist/minor scenario decider who doesn't have a ton of control over wins and losses. In other words, if the best manager in the league were put in control of the worst team, they'd still be bad. Also, the difference between the best manager and worst manager in baseball probably isn't that big.

Football, however, is a whole different animal. Coaches have huge influences and the differential between the best coach (Belicheck) and the worst coach (Marvin Lewis lol) is big. If you were to put Belicheck on the Jaguars, they'd probably be contending for a Super Bowl. Also, a good coach can heavily influence a player's rating for the better or worse, based on whether or not their personalities match up well. Sticking with the Patriots, Belicheck has gotten the best out of some players who didn't do well elsewhere (Dion Lewis, Patrick Chung, Deion Branch) while others come to the Patriots and drop off the face of the earth (Chad Ochocinco, Adalius Thomas)

Coach rating and personality really should have a heavy influence on ratings and wins to be accurate. And I'm not just talking about "this guy is good, so he'd be good with anyone", it should be "this guy has this personality, so these guys will really do well if matched up with him".
Old 07-01-2016, 04:55 AM   #4
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Coaching is such a huge part of football, I agree that it should be a huge part of the success of a team. In baseball, a manager is more or less a babysitter/psychologist/minor scenario decider who doesn't have a ton of control over wins and losses. In other words, if the best manager in the league were put in control of the worst team, they'd still be bad. Also, the difference between the best manager and worst manager in baseball probably isn't that big.

Football, however, is a whole different animal. Coaches have huge influences and the differential between the best coach (Belicheck) and the worst coach (Marvin Lewis lol) is big. If you were to put Belicheck on the Jaguars, they'd probably be contending for a Super Bowl. Also, a good coach can heavily influence a player's rating for the better or worse, based on whether or not their personalities match up well. Sticking with the Patriots, Belicheck has gotten the best out of some players who didn't do well elsewhere (Dion Lewis, Patrick Chung, Deion Branch) while others come to the Patriots and drop off the face of the earth (Chad Ochocinco, Adalius Thomas)

Coach rating and personality really should have a heavy influence on ratings and wins to be accurate. And I'm not just talking about "this guy is good, so he'd be good with anyone", it should be "this guy has this personality, so these guys will really do well if matched up with him".

I agree, coaching is huge. The actual football simulation is our main focus for the first release though. So coaching might be rather basic in the first version. Besides, I think Belichick was losing many games and was on the verge of being fired before Tom Brady came to the rescue. I guess a great QB makes every coach look a whole lot better. Still, Belichick certainly deserves to be considered the best right now.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winter View Post
I agree, coaching is huge. The actual football simulation is our main focus for the first release though. So coaching might be rather basic in the first version. Besides, I think Belichick was losing many games and was on the verge of being fired before Tom Brady came to the rescue. I guess a great QB makes every coach look a whole lot better. Still, Belichick certainly deserves to be considered the best right now.

Whoa whoa whoa....the guy went 11-5 with Matt stinkin' Cassel at QB. Yes, I thgink they had a good chance to go 16-0 if Brady had been there, but...Matt stinkin' Cassel???

I like to think of it as a perfect storm of the greatest coach ever and greatest QB ever who helped each other. Without the other, the one wouldn't have achieved their high level.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Ohgr
Bat Boy

No matter who the coach is, no matter who the QB is, if your O-line sucks, your team is doomed to 3 and out the whole game
Old 07-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohgr View Post
No matter who the coach is, no matter who the QB is, if your O-line sucks, your team is doomed to 3 and out the whole game

The Patriots' O-line stunk the last two years, but their quick release offense dumping it off to Edelman and Amendola still worked
Old 07-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohgr View Post
2011 NY Giants beg to differ. Worst two tackles according to PFF that year (David Diehl and Kareem McKenzie). David Diehl, in fact, only played 6 games at OT in the regular season - that's how bad he was. Also was the worst rated G that year, IIRC.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winter View Post
Obviously, the football simulation is the most important thing. I assume that one area that coaching might have a big affect in the first version would be player development,like in OOTP? Especially with the position coaches, if they are in the first version.

Slightly OT: I feel like due to the differences between college football and the pros, position coaches, especially in the trenches, are more important than ever before. Since so many colleges run spread offenses, I'm finding that many top college lineman are getting by with superior athleticism at the college level and not learning technique until they reach the pros.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedlion14 View Post
2011 NY Giants beg to differ. Worst two tackles according to PFF that year (David Diehl and Kareem McKenzie). David Diehl, in fact, only played 6 games at OT in the regular season - that's how bad he was. Also was the worst rated G that year, IIRC.

As a New England Patriots fan, I try not to think of the 2007 or the 2011 NY Giants. David Tyree is a swear word up here...