Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
SerbianEagle
Minors (Single A)

What kind of a GM will you be?

When playing OOTP, I very very rarely pay the big $$$ for free agents. I've even been known to trade away own players if they received a big raise in arbitration, unless that player is a superstar.

What I much rather do is search for cheap players, find the gems who will replace the outgoing highly paid players, until eventually they become too expensive as well...

I've never paid a reliever over $2M/year in OOTP for instance...

So, will you be a Sather of New York, or Sather of Edmonton?
SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
HabsJaysFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I always try to rebuild through the draft and by picking up solid deals to fill out my team. Once I have a solid core then I will spend some big $ on a few key free agents.

You can go out and spend lots of $$$$ on free agents but to build a sustainable winner you need to start from the ground up ie. todays Penguins Sure you have to really stink it up for a few seasons but it's short term pain for longterm gain.
HabsJaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

I'm a cheapskate so I'll be looking for value and not harp of sentimentality...doesn't mean that I wont pop for the superstars but if I can get something comparable (10% less) for cheaper (50% less) then you bet...
OpusTheFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
TommyHerr
Minors (Single A)

I'm going to be like Mike Keenan. You know, if a guy doesn't score a goal in a game or if he is a minus 1 he gets traded after the game. That and I will pick up 37 year old ex stanley cup winners for their veteran leadership.
TommyHerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Well in EHM I've always been a build through the draft type. I'm very sentimental, after a few seasons and I've built up my core of young players the team doesn't change too much, I like to see my guys develop. I'm pretty loyal to guys who have delivered solid play in the NHL or AHL.

I also like signing really old superstars with high leadership values (like Daniel Alfredsson) at the end of their careers for mentorship and one last chance.

Most of the time I'm looking for free agent bargains, but I'll usually open up the wallet to get the superstar my team needs.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I'm going to play a GM of two teams at first. One a pennypincher and the other a top 5 spender.

But less face it, the ownership should dictate what you really are. At least i hope so. If it were up to David Poille over the years he'd spend a ton of money on signings and resigning but it's the ownership that makes those calls and the GM just follows them.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-19-2013 at 03:34 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
shawest
Bat Boy

It depends what team i am. if i play as a team like Edmonton i will not be spending so much and maybe having to trade guys like Hall and eberle before they get to UFA status.
My first game i play though i will be playing as my Flyers so i will have no problem giving a $110 million offer to a guy like Shea Weber. Just gotta pray the offer doesn't get matched
shawest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I want to be Marius Fortier. The man who built the 80's Nordiques.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
geckon
Hall Of Famer

It depends on the kind of team I'll manage and its finances. But generally I'll probably want to use the potential of young hopes so in North America or KHL I'll consider draft important and in Europe I'll try to invest in junior team (if possible) and profit from it. But of course I'll use some older player to ensure there will be leaders in the team and also try to have few stars if budget let me.

For example one of my plans is to take over a team in the Czech 2nd minor league and try to get it to the top of the top league. At the beginning I'll have to rely heavily on young players I think and I hope that owner will give more money if success arrives so subsequently I will be able to afford more skilled players too. But I want to attach importance to young players all the time.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Garethw87

I'll start 2 campaigns if you will..

1 - Start as unemployed and see where the road takes me. With the ultimate aim to GM in the NHL/KHL

2 - Start out straight as KHL - Dinamo Riga and try to domniate the league!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
But less face it, the ownership should dictate what you really are.
Yeah it should. When I played EHM I rarely found that it had enough impact.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
I'll start 2 campaigns if you will..

1 - Start as unemployed and see where the road takes me. With the ultimate aim to GM in the NHL/KHL

2 - Start out straight as KHL - Dinamo Riga and try to domniate the league!
I really like the sounds of 1.
I think i'll do that in a game for sure. Start unemployed my gm might have to go overseas or start in junior and the long path the the NHL begins. That sounds like alot of fun. With the feature of the GM (user) being offered contracts makes that part much more rewarding too.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Austsaint
Minors (Double A)

I am going to be a wheeler and dealer, aiming to get a good young core with some veterans sprinkled for mentoring and experience.
Austsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
GermanRocket7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'll definitely try to have at least one player on my roster competing for the Calder Trophy each year. I feel like it's very rewarding to see a player you picked turn out to be a franchise player and thus try to have a very young and talented team with two or three veteran (star) players to mentor my young guns.

Oh, and: players >33 years who are not exactly "star" players always get dealt away at the deadline in my franchises. I like to stockpile 5+ picks in the first 2-3 rounds. That way, you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least one really bright prospect in your pipeline every season and can afford to let go of other talented youngsters for new picks.

With the exception of a few players, I usually go with a different roster at least every two years. However, I tend to have franchise heroes around until they are incapable of playing even AHL hockey any longer. In EHM, Steve Rucchin never left the Ducks until his knees became virtually non-existant.
GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote