Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Team Option vs Arbitration

Does anyone know if I decline this option on Rios will he stay on my team and just go to arbitration? I believe that is how it should work...I just want to make sure it actually does work that way. This is an online league and I don't want to lose him. Thx.
Attached Images
Old 07-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
endgame
Hall Of Famer

To be clear, I don't know the answer, but it provokes a question. Why would you decline the option if you want to keep him? Do you think arbritation will result in a lower salary? My instincts tell me, it'll work the way you believe it will. But wouldn't it be in your best interest to honor the option? Just curious.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

From that screenshot, the arbitration estimate is almost $1M lower than the team option. I think it would make sense to go the arbitration route, but I can't provide an answer as to whether or not declining the team option will still allow you to do so.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
To be clear, I don't know the answer, but it provokes a question. Why would you decline the option if you want to keep him? Do you think arbritation will result in a lower salary? My instincts tell me, it'll work the way you believe it will. But wouldn't it be in your best interest to honor the option? Just curious.
Yes, I think I'll have to pay him less and the arb estimate reflects that belief.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
discodude5
Major Leagues

He has less than 6 yrs of major league service time so even though he had a contract he would automatically go to arbitration, in fact he could even have 2 more years of arbitration.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Something else to consider is - if you decline the option and he goes to arbitration, is it going to upset him that you declined the option? Then when he's FA eligible because he was upset he might refuse to talk to you.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

I've never seen negotiated contracts with lower values than arbitration. In ootp, it seems best to stick with arbitration until the player becomes a full-fledged FA, then you gotta pay to play (him).

Now, I don't know how this works IRL, but once a player has a negotiated contract (non-arbitration), does he revert back to arbitration when it runs out if he is still in that service time window? Or is arbitration a thing of the past and he is a FA, free and clean?

Last edited by SittingDuck; 07-05-2008 at 04:06 PM.
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

In real baseball, I believe he's a free agent with no strings attached if he signs and ends a big league contract while still in his arbitration window.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

'Tis what I thought. Danke.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
MrWorkrate
All Star Starter

Arbitration is only related to major league service time. So even if a player signs a major league contract and starts immediately in the majors, he still falls under CBA guidelines for arbitration (or even renewal, if it's less than three full years.) That's why you'll see most Japanese players will sign with a provision in their contract that allows them to become a free agent at the end of their deal if their contract isn't extended at the end of it (Tag Iguchi was a good example of this this past offseason).

In the case above were regular MLB, the arbitration number would be a lot closer to the current year's salary (a player cannot have their salary lowered by more than 10% via arbitration).
Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

Hmm.

Anyways, sometimes I dream of the MLBPA getting wiped out during a cross-Pacific excursion to China for the start of some future season. I always wake up smiling.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I wasn't aware they needed an 'out' clause to avoid arbitration at the end of their big league deals. Man, my contract law skills have gotten rusty.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #13
Commo_Soldier
Minors (Double A)

From the looks of the screenshot it looks like this year (2008) is going to be his option year. Which would mean that the option was already accepted and you should not be seeing it (you can test this by offering an extension, if it says he will not talk until the last year of his contract then the option would be for next year, however if he will talk extension then my assumption is right). I ran a test of this as if the option year is for 2008 and no matter what you do in this case if he is not given an extension he will go through arbitration. I also ran a test if the option year was for 2009 and if you decline the option he will also go through arbitration. Being in your online league I would advise that you look into an extension if possible near the end of the season as he is injured for the year and may demand a lower amount then. But unless you trade or drop him he should go through arbitration for a 2009 salary (baring an extension) as multiple tests have shown me.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote