Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Too Many Great Plays- Too Many Infield Hits - in OOTP18

Just my observation from playing out a lot of games in OOTPB:

Far too many very good-to-great defensive plays.

I get the feeling that OOTP is hyping it up to make the game more exciting.

"Tell me it ain't so, Lukas Berger"

I keep score every time I go to a major league or minor league game and on my scorecard I indicate outstanding plays... very good with a single asterisk (*)... and two asterisks (**) for excellent or remarkable plays.

Most of the time I only have 1 or 2 standout plays a game on my scorecard.

Not keeping scientific records, but there are far good many great plays in OOTP18.

Please check your conditional controls like you do in the PBP... you should be able to limit how often great plays occur.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-27-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Update the Thread Heading
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

By great do you mostly mean diving plays? If so, I think that's true.

I know Matt tried to reduce the frequency of diving plays a bit in some of the later patches last year and I'm pretty sure he's done more work on that for OOTP19.

So it should be better this year.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
By great do you mostly mean diving plays? If so, I think that's true.

I know Matt tried to reduce the frequency of diving plays a bit in some of the later patches last year and I'm pretty sure he's done more work on that for OOTP19.

So it should be better this year.
Good... I'm glad you guys are aware of this... I just hope you get it down to realistic numbers... like almost all of the other aspects of the game.

Diving plays would be included... but also too many great plays, both infield and outfield.

Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication to our wonderful game.

It's people like you, Matt and many others that make it so great.

I really appreciate all of you !

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-27-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

You need to look at the number of infield hits in the game, too.

Again, I think they happen far more in OOTP18 than in real life.

The PBP description of infield hits needs some work... many times you don't know why it was an infield hit... no reason is given in the PBP.

If it in the hole... that understandable... but it should indicate why it is an infield hit.

Many time I see things like this occur:

" ball hit hard to shortstop... Vizquel up with it... throws to first... not in time... infield hit."

If it was a hard hit ball, the runner should have been out.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-27-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post

The PBP description of infield hits needs some work... many times you don't know why it was an infield hit... no reason is given the PBP.

If it in the hole... that understandable... but it should indicate why it is an infield hit.

" ball hit hard to shortstop... Vizquel up with it... throws to first... not in time... infield hit."

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm not sure if the issue is the pbp, or more with the 3d animations not correctly matching the pbp. Matt could tell you better, but either way I know he's been hard at work getting things to match up better between the pbp and on-field animations. So it will surely be improved this year, even if not entirely perfect.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-27-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The PBP description of infield hits needs some work... many times you don't know why it was an infield hit... no reason is given the PBP.

Good idea. I've added it to the list of PbP suggestions for OOTP19.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Good idea. I've added it to the list of PbP suggestions for OOTP19.
Thanks for your quick response and replies on the Forums.

Just want to thank you for all your great work and dedication to the PBP... it's far better since you have been involved in it.

Thanks for all you do.

Much appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We have looked a lot at defensive performance, so hopefully we have found the right number of great plays now.

As per some of the other data, the number of infield hits I believe should be correct with real life, however it's still a challenge to get the "right" infield hits (ie. slow hits in front, or hard hits to the hole, etc...) We can probably expand the PBP for that, and we're certainly always working on the 3D to make sure you don't have weird cases of the player quickly running to get the ball and then simply holding on to it or lobbing a superbly slow throw to first.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
markprior22
All Star Starter

A couple of things in PBP that I notice:

1-Line drives are almost always caught by an infielder. You can often know it's an out just by how the pbp starts.

2-Outfield dives, running into wall, etc and fielder hardly ever loses the ball. Would like to see the ball pop out of the glove more frequently when the OF hits the ground or wall.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
A couple of things in PBP that I notice:

1-Line drives are almost always caught by an infielder. You can often know it's an out just by how the pbp starts.

2-Outfield dives, running into wall, etc and fielder hardly ever loses the ball. Would like to see the ball pop out of the glove more frequently when the OF hits the ground or wall.
1- I'm not sure. I think the problem might be that there are TOO MANY line drives in the first place. Many of them are caught, but not all of them. Regardless, it sure seems like batters are blistering the baseball on a regular basis.

2- I know I've tried to create more drops. Hard to know how often it happens now, without some hard data. Something to look at, for sure.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We have looked a lot at defensive performance, so hopefully we have found the right number of great plays now.

As per some of the other data, the number of infield hits I believe should be correct with real life, however it's still a challenge to get the "right" infield hits (ie. slow hits in front, or hard hits to the hole, etc...) We can probably expand the PBP for that, and we're certainly always working on the 3D to make sure you don't have weird cases of the player quickly running to get the ball and then simply holding on to it or lobbing a superbly slow throw to first.
I don't use animation or sound... just text... will wait until the animation and sound are improved.

Thanks for the quick response and replies.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

I know in 18 there are quite a lot of infield hits where there is a throw but it's very slow, which just looks odd. It makes sense in some cases where a player has to bare hand something or short arm a throw, but mostly it just looks off.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #13
smiller
Major Leagues

I hope that a number of the diving catches are ruled to be trapped balls and the batter is credited with a base hit.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #14
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post

I remember one previous version of OOTP (14? 15?) had that happen nearly constantly for the first couple of patches. Then it got toned down and maybe too far.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

And while we are discussing PBP...

Please add some variety when a line drive is caught by the pitcher.

"Liner back to the pitcher... GOOD REACTION".

This one is used way, way, way too often.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. If Matt moves this hardcoded text to the (editable) text DB, we'll be in business.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
swoboda
All Star Starter

Excellent dialogue here, those of us who play out all games will really benefit.

The late great Lindsey Nelson

Last edited by swoboda; 01-28-2018 at 09:13 PM.
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #18
ralphieboy
Major Leagues

Not only do there seem to be too many line outs to infield positions, but it seems the pbp almost always follows with “...incredible catch by...” the infielder.

Hopefully we can sort that out as well.
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #19
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Good... I'm glad you guys are aware of this... I just hope you get it down to realistic numbers... like almost all of the other aspects of the game.

Diving plays would be included... but also too many great plays, both infield and outfield.

Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication to our wonderful game.

It's people like you, Matt and many others that make it so great.

I really appreciate all of you !
Maybe the play by play guy is just biased and makes routine plays sound great. Look at the career of Derek Jeter as an example. His routine plays were made to seem like things that nobody had ever seen before lol
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote