Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Trouble-Shooting & Tech Support

Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Andreas Raht
Administrator

FAQ: TBCB does not work on Windows 8

TBCB 2.5 actually works on Windows 8! I just tested it with the Windows 8 Release Preview. But you need to use some tricks:

- when you start it first time, you need to run it as an admin (right click the TBCB shortcut and click on "Run as admin..."). Should only be needed once.

- test the game. If it crashes, try this:

--- after starting TBCB, click on "Options" and uncheck the three sound options (play music, play sound, play crowd noises). On my computer, TBCB crashed with sound activated and worked fine after disabling sound. I know, this is only a work around to make it run somehow, sorry. But it will also show that the problem has something to do with the sound API code which I used for TBCB 2.5.

--- right click on the TBCB shortcut and click on "Properties", then open the "Compatibility" tab. Select "Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP" and try again.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
TBCB 2.5 actually works on Windows 8! I just tested it with the Windows 8 Release Preview. But you need to use some tricks:

- when you start it first time, you need to run it as an admin (right click the TBCB shortcut and click on "Run as admin..."). Should only be needed once.

- test the game. If it crashes, try this:

--- after starting TBCB, click on "Options" and uncheck the three sound options (play music, play sound, play crowd noises). On my computer, TBCB crashed with sound activated and worked fine after disabling sound. I know, this is only a work around to make it run somehow, sorry. But it will also show that the problem has something to do with the sound API code which I used for TBCB 2.5.

--- right click on the TBCB shortcut and click on "Properties", then open the "Compatibility" tab. Select "Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP" and try again.
Thanks for giving us a direct answer on this!
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

You should not have to do all of this.
Somewhere in Seattle, in his 48,000 square foot house.
Bill Gates, could care less, about gamers.

Ergo the agony, with saving your investmat in games.
To use his latest cool wow OS software.

Last edited by Joe Punchy; 11-18-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Joe Punchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I really, truly hate having to use tricks and workarounds to get games to work on each new version of Windows. OK, I understand that I can't expect games I played in Win 98 to still work.

But I hate having to jump through hoops to get things to work on our laptop, which has Win 7.

Our desktop is Win XP, and with my precarious job situation I'm not planning to get a new computer any time soon. I only buy one or two games a year, mainly sports management sims. If the newer ones won't work on XP, then so be it. I'm tired of chasing Microsoft.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Well, as already mentioned above: TBCB works on Win7 and Win8. On some computers you might need to run TBCB "as admin", but that should not be a big problem. All is well, and personally I am grateful that there is MS Windows and that it's being improved over the years
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Count_Herout
Minors (Single A)

What is the TBCB shortcut? The belt? I right-click on it and get nothing. Admittedly, I'm still in XP (new computer with "7" on it gets here in two weeks).
Count_Herout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
johnnyaa
Bat Boy

Smile How about TBCB 2013 and Windows 8.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Well, as already mentioned above: TBCB works on Win7 and Win8. On some computers you might need to run TBCB "as admin", but that should not be a big problem. All is well, and personally I am grateful that there is MS Windows and that it's being improved over the years

Andreas, how about Windows 8.1? And what about TBCB 2013? Has anyone tried TBCB 2013 with 8.1? I'd like to know before downloading that I'm not going to have to jump through hoops to get this game to work. Thanks in advance!
johnnyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
javier_83
Hall Of Famer

i am playing with windows 8.1 tbcb 2.5 and tbcb 2013!!

Regards!!
javier_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
johnnyaa
Bat Boy

Smile 2.5 vs. 2013

Thanks Javier! Can you give me a rough idea as to the differences between 2.5 and 2013? I'd prefer going with something fairly simple rather than something with a lot of bells and whistles that I really don't need. Thanks again!
johnnyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

I got a new computer with Windows 8.1 .... I can't get through a fight card with 2.5 without the game crashing ... only happens while I am running fights ... tried everything I can think of

UTBA3
Hanson Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I had 8.1 and hated it with such passion that I got my brother to remove it from my machine and install Windows 7 in its place. This is one of the big problems with a game like Title Bout that you can play forever. The operating systems change every few years and unless the game advances at least enough to run on the new OS you are screwed. Best thing about the card and dice game was being able to play it as long as you liked. No hard drive crashes to worry about. No new OS to adapt to. This is something game makers need to consider but rarely do. If Paul abandons Title Bout and no one picks it up, it's only a matter of time before tech advances force us to give up what is probably one of the longest living PC games in history.

Cap
Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

if I had any idea how to change my new computer to windows 7 I would

UTBA3
Old 02-14-2015, 02:43 AM   #13
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

seems to work without any sound at all ... but sad I have to use the game like that

UTBA3
Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
rrussett
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Where can I get the game? It seems like the site is dead. I get no password or email responses...what’s the deal?
rrussett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
JeffR
FHM Producer

It can be bought from http://www.titleboutboxing.com
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
Rspen46
Minors (Single A)

8.1 Windows is terrible, I finally upgraded to Win10 and both 2013 and 2.5 now 2.7 after I updated it both work great, I just right clicked on the 2.7 execute file after I installed it and updated it and changed it to work with another version of windows and it works fine. I really wanted to use 2013 TBB but no matter how much I tried and how many times I played it, I hated it more and more, so I went back to 2.5/7 I have over 20 years of work into it, much more if you can't my days with the board game and Lance Haffner boxing andthe Trunzo's newsletter they mailed out, I've saved everything.

I keep several backups, I have 1 external mini Hard drive, 1 USB thumb drive adn then once a month I update and backup everything to 2 different re--writable DVD's I backup to the thumb every other week and to the HD once a week.

Mainly because I've read about too many horror stories of others losing years of work, and I've gone through many Computers during all these years, and nearly lost everything, so that's the reason for several backups of different types to make sure it's saved.

But I would never suggest to anyone to try and use TBB 2013, I think it totally sucks, the interface looks terrible, everything just seems to blend in together, it's very difficult for me to see and read, it's has a very few decent things I like, but nowhere near enough to ever play it again.

I only keep 2013 installed to use the database I've uploaded to it as a reference when I'm playing 2.5/7

And 2.5/7 can be played on Windows 10 and I keep an old system around in the Computer room when it's needed with Win 7 to play it on as my backup system, this way I always have a way to play it, I also backup my universe and transfer it to USB and then to my Win 7 Computer so that game is always updated.
Rspen46 is offline   Reply With Quote