Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #41
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Cool to see that he's hitting home runs too.
The offensive atmosphere is also allowing Frank "Home Run" Baker to get his career off on the right foot. IRL, he was able to get double digit HR five times (which was quite the feat given that he played from 1908 through 1922), with a high of 12 for the 1913 A's. So far, this is where he's at (almost has 70% of his RL total after just three seasons - then again Shoeless Joe just about has three times as many HR as he hit in his entire career in his first eight seasons):
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-21-2017 at 05:29 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #42
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

My hope of course is that by doing this it'll help the deadball era guys and cool off the live ball era and steroid era guys. It certainly flattened out Sammy Sosa's age 33 season in my league, as he was only able to hit 25 HR, when IRL he hit 49, and had hit 64 the previous year and would hit 40 the year after that, so we'll see. Mark McGwire is now 29, so his huge seasons are still in front of him. Let's see where it all goes from here. 52 at age 32, 58 at age 33, 70 at age 34, and 65 at age 35. I do also have my injury settings on "High (Realistic Modern Day)" and Position Player Fatigue set to "Average". Have yet to see Barry Bonds (or his extremely underrated father Bobby for that matter, or his godfather Willie Mays).

I've had nine 500 HR hitters so far. Frank Robinson (643), Reggie Smith (628), Mike Schmidt (609), Mickey Mantle (566), Gil Hodges (565), Miguel Cabrera (534), Rocky Colavito (518), Dave Kingman (511), and Darryl Strawberry (511). Of the nine, only "Kong" won't get into the HoF. Far too one dimensional for my taste. A .249/.308/.468/.776 slash line with a 119 OPS+ and a 120 wRC+, along with being a below average defender at all four corner spots was enough to keep him out. He spent 16 out of 20 seasons in the NL, so there was nowhere to hide his defense. He only started 20 games at DH in his career, so pitchers on his own team beware.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #43
Reed
All Star Starter

I'm trying to think of a way to start a random league but not have star players starting their career at age 30+. I'm just thinking out load. What if I started a league with say 4 teams (or heck, 2 teams) (yes, I'll have a few older players) and then expanded my league to 16 or 20 teams the following year with a 25 round draft. Won't these players in the draft debut at their 1st real MLB year? For the next few years you would have to have small draft round until the ages become evenly distributed. Does this make any since or am I ding bat crazy?
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #44
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I'm trying to think of a way to start a random league but not have star players starting their career at age 30+. I'm just thinking out load. What if I started a league with say 4 teams (or heck, 2 teams) (yes, I'll have a few older players) and then expanded my league to 16 or 20 teams the following year with a 25 round draft. Won't these players in the draft debut at their 1st real MLB year? For the next few years you would have to have small draft round until the ages become evenly distributed. Does this make any since or am I ding bat crazy?
One thing to keep in mind is, if you're going to create your random debut league using the historical wizard, the least amount of teams will be 16 as far as the player import and inaugural draft is concerned. You could delete 14 teams to get down to 2, but the 704 (44 players per team x 16) players the game imports for the inaugural draft are going to be present and they will be made up of players of all ages.

You could easily do what you're suggesting if you start your league completely fictional(of course, the inaugural draft would include fictional players), but, doing so means no access to recalc or any of the other perks of the historical game.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-27-2017 at 05:08 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #45
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
The starting at age 30+ (sometimes 40+) thing is a PITA. Are you using OOTP16 or OOTP17? If you're using 17 it's much harder to get around this because the database is a bit tougher to navigate thanks to it getting beefed up in 17 with all those minor league "Ballplayer X" guys. Also, I'm not as sure of my way around in 17 because for the most part I've stayed in 16.

In OOTP16, you can get around it manually (also a PITA) by deleting the players and bringing in the same player at age 18 or 19 via the Spritze database which works very well with 16. You have to know what you're doing, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty routine. Let me know if you want instructions for that if you want to try it. I just imported a Negro Leaguer who never made it to the big leagues (Lee Moody), and I've got PCL guys, Japanese guys, and Korean guys who never played in the big leagues as well.

This method will also allow me to delete the 40-whatever year old Satchel Paige whenever he shows up, and bring in the teenage version via Spritze which should be cool. Already did this for Elston Howard, Billy Harrell and Lou B Johnson, who all showed up in this draft (1945).

I use a random number generator and the master list from Spritze to determine what non-MLB guys come in, but when I'd had no Negro Leaguers for 44 drafts, I decided to hold out until I got at least one. Wish I'd done it sooner, but I had too much faith that my method would work. Moody's not very good unfortunately, but I'll bring another one in next year and in each subsequent draft and eventually two when expansion happens. Can't wait to see Josh Gibson, Oscar Charleston etc etc but I'll always take whichever ones the random number thingy gives me because it's a random debut historical after all. I'll just hold out for Negro Leaguers for one of my extra draftees, two if there's lots of teams. Don't want too many because I have a five round draft with sixteen teams and I add two from Spritze, so that's 82 players and that is plenty.

I'm not sure how this would work with OOTP17 because I love my league so much that I've stayed in OOTP16. I don't want to mess it up by exporting/importing it, and I'm not sure what would happen to the random debut thing if I did export/import this now 45 year old league. Would it start bringing in players who have already been through my league because it's a different database? I don't want to find out the hard way that this would happen.

I'm also not sure about you starting with two teams and then expanding to sixteen. That is a huge amount of expansion and it might bork your game, which I suppose is OK if you don't mind starting over. It just seems like too much to me, but I could be wrong.

I don't mind the whole starting at 30+ year old player thing because what you'll find is that other players can come out of nowhere to become superstars and potentially HoFers. Some 2B named Tillie Shafer did this in my league and went to the HoF. Yes it's maddening to have favourite players come in needing a walker to get to 1B, but you never know who's going to step up and who you're going to discover from history. I use 3-year double weighted recalc and Neutralized Stats in all of my games with "Remaining Years of Career" for Potential Ratings. I also base Rookie Fielding Ratings and Pitcher Stamina on 3-year periods. Finally, I use the Player Development System at default settings in conjunction with recalc. This is critical if you want the Tillie Shafers of the world to emerge.

Remember as well that if you started with all 18ish year olds in your random debut or even players at their actual debut dates, guys might not retire as quickly as they will if the ages are randomly (there's that word again) dispersed. By having my five round (plus two players) draft, I have about the right amount of players. There are about 50 or 60 free agents hanging around at any one time during the regular season. You want that cushion for injuries (which I have set to High (Realistic Modern Day)), but you don't want too many free agents because then guys aren't playing. Believe it or not age 30+ and 40+ guys in the inaugural draft is a good thing because it keeps the line moving in your league and allows for a natural churn of talent to occur.

Without enough guys retiring, things get awfully crowded in the free agent bin, and then guys don't play. You want to get as many guys as possible into the game because that's what they're there for. I think I've got about an 83% rate of drafted players coming into my league and getting at least the proverbial Cup of Coffee. You're never going to get 100% because some guys are just too crappy.

I hope I haven't overloaded you with info. This post has gotten quite long and feels a bit disjointed, so I hope you can get something out of it. Whatever way you decide to go, I hope you enjoy your random debut historical because in my mind it's the best way to play historical and perhaps is OOTP's best kept secret. Enjoy it, and fire away with any questions you may have. OOTP is a great game, but it is complicated, with many moving parts, and it helps to have people who've fumbled (and fumbled and fumbled) around with settings over the years to help you figure out what you want to get out of it.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-27-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #46
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

My first ever unanimous 1st ballot HoFer (except of course when I had things set up wrong and Zack Greinke got in with 100.0% of the vote while everyone else got 0.0% ) is CF Reggie Smith. He also started games at 1B, 3B, and RF. What a beauty!
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-01-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #47
BorgPokerPro
Minors (Single A)

Love this thread, Sent you a PM Ajackson not sure if it got to you its not showing in my sent messages section
BorgPokerPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #48
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgPokerPro View Post
Love this thread, Sent you a PM Ajackson not sure if it got to you its not showing in my sent messages section
Done and dusted my friend.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #49
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Well lookie lookie who showed up in my 1947 (The Year of Jackie IRL) amateur draft. "Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston." Lifted from board member mitchkenn's signature without permission (hope you don't mind mitchkenn!). Thanks also to Sir Spritze for his wonderful High School database. This is a loaded draft as Sam Thompson, Ned Williamson, Jesse Burkett, Al Orth, and Andy Pettitte also showed up.
Attached Images
Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #50
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Well lookie lookie who showed up in my 1947 (The Year of Jackie IRL) amateur draft. "Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston." Lifted from board member mitchkenn's signature without permission (hope you don't mind mitchkenn!). Thanks also to Sir Spritze for his wonderful High School database. This is a loaded draft as Sam Thompson, Ned Williamson, Jesse Burkett, Al Orth, and Andy Pettitte also showed up.
Well, the Pittsburgh Pirates had the first pick and the ninth pick overall, and with those two picks, they managed to get a 20 year old Jesse Burkett for LF and a soon to be 24 year old Sam Thompson for RF. Whoa! I play with the "Use pre-defined draft value for AI" box checked because I think it disperses players from best to worst a little better than it would without it.

The Yankees picked 10th and 11th and took Andy Pettitte and Robb Nen. Oscar Charleston was taken 2nd by the Washington Senators, Al Orth 3rd by the Boston Red Sox, and Ned Williamson 12th by the St. Louis Cardinals. Like I said, a doozy of a draft.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #51
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Have you had Jim Bunning in your league yet? He is looking like he's going to be a stud in my current setup. He was in the pen for his rookie year, 1985, but is in the rotation in 86. The New York Ambassadors have Joey Votto hitting in front of Chipper Jones. Votto won the MVP in 85 and barring a huge slump he's may win it again in 86. He's leading the league in hitting with a .360+ average 80 games in.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #52
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Have you had Jim Bunning in your league yet? He is looking like he's going to be a stud in my current setup. He was in the pen for his rookie year, 1985, but is in the rotation in 86. The New York Ambassadors have Joey Votto hitting in front of Chipper Jones. Votto won the MVP in 85 and barring a huge slump he's may win it again in 86. He's leading the league in hitting with a .360+ average 80 games in.
7th overall pick in the 1901 amateur draft (1st ever amateur draft in this game). HoFer in 1928. He's sort of in the middle of my HoF in terms of SP, but could shift towards the bottom when it's all said and done. 65.0 WAR, 52.8 JAWS (Avg currently is 53 for JAWS for SP, so he's an average HoFer in this regard), 3.68 ERA (the highest in my Hall is 3.69: Dutch E Leonard), 239-201, with almost 4,000 IP. 1909 AL Cy Young and MVP, 1913 AL Cy Young, 1904 GG at P, 5-time A-S (1907, 1909, 1912-1914), 1907 World Champion with Philadelphia Athletics.

Despite being on the losing team (4-2 vs St. Louis Browns), he was named the 1904 ALCS MVP as he pitched back to back shutouts to give the Browns their only two losses. (I put the top two teams in both the AL and the NL in the postseason). Career postseason record: 19 G, 17 GS, 134.2 IP, 138 H, 44 ER, 12 HR, 29 BB, 84 K, 1.24 WHIP, 0.8 HR/9, 1.9 BB/9, 5.6 K/9, 2.90 K/BB, 8-6, 2.94 ERA, hitters batted .260/.306/.377/.684 against him, he received an average of 3.18 runs per start, 13/17 Quality Starts, 5 CG, 2 SHO, 58.8% GB%, 3.55 FIP (I know you were waiting breathlessly for that last one ). Picture below:
Attached Images
Old 03-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #53
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Also, Lou Whitaker just retired and will cruise into the HoF, joining Roberto Alomar and Tillie Shafer at 2B. Right now I have 46 players in the HoF. They are the following:

SP (18): Ewell Blackwell, Jim Bunning, Steve Carlton, Alex Cobb, David Cone, Don Drysdale, Lefty Gomez, Zack Greinke, Tim Hudson, Dennis Leonard, Dutch E Leonard, Don Newcombe, Jake Peavy, Steve Rogers, Bret Saberhagen, Michael Wacha, Lon Warneke, Earl Whitehill

RP (1): Duane Ward

C (6): Ed Bailey, Jack Hiatt, Victor Martinez, Thurman Munson, Salvador Perez, Duke Sims

1B (5): Norm Cash, Paul Goldschmidt, Ed Konetchy, Derrek Lee, Bill D White

2B (2): Roberto Alomar, Tillie Shafer

3B (2): Dick Allen, Ken Caminiti

SS (5): Brian Dozier, Jim Fregosi, Nomar Garciaparra, Cal Ripken, Arky Vaughan

LF (1): Zack Wheat

CF (1): Reggie Smith

RF (5): Johnny Callison, Rocky Colavito, Frank Robinson, Gary Sheffield, Darryl Strawberry
Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #54
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Also, Mark Fidrych was drafted 30th overall (draft is 82 players) in 1945 by the Washington Senators. So far in two seasons he's 31-24, 3.38 ERA (120 ERA+), 7.4 WAR. Unlike a lot of starting pitchers, he went straight into starting despite debuting a year earlier than IRL (age 20 vs 21).

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-08-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #55
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, Mark Fidrych was drafted 30th overall (draft is 82 players) in 1945 by the Washington Senators. So far in two seasons he's 31-24, 3.38 ERA (120 ERA+), 7.4 WAR. Unlike a lot of starting pitchers, he went straight into starting despite debuting a year earlier than IRL (age 20 vs 21).
Fidrych was part of the inaugural draft in my league. Imported at age 23 and was drafted by the Boston Minutemen in the 26th round(pick 519). 1984 saw him go 15-14 4.11 91ERA+. He followed that with a 11-12 4.57 84ERA+ in 85. He's still with the Minutemen in 86, but at age 25, he's riding the reserve roster listed as a relief pitcher.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #56
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
7th overall pick in the 1901 amateur draft (1st ever amateur draft in this game). HoFer in 1928. He's sort of in the middle of my HoF in terms of SP, but could shift towards the bottom when it's all said and done. 65.0 WAR, 52.8 JAWS (Avg currently is 53 for JAWS for SP, so he's an average HoFer in this regard), 3.68 ERA (the highest in my Hall is 3.69: Dutch E Leonard), 239-201, with almost 4,000 IP. 1909 AL Cy Young and MVP, 1913 AL Cy Young, 1904 GG at P, 5-time A-S (1907, 1909, 1912-1914), 1907 World Champion with Philadelphia Athletics.

Despite being on the losing team (4-2 vs St. Louis Browns), he was named the 1904 ALCS MVP as he pitched back to back shutouts to give the Browns their only two losses. (I put the top two teams in both the AL and the NL in the postseason). Career postseason record: 19 G, 17 GS, 134.2 IP, 138 H, 44 ER, 12 HR, 29 BB, 84 K, 1.24 WHIP, 0.8 HR/9, 1.9 BB/9, 5.6 K/9, 2.90 K/BB, 8-6, 2.94 ERA, hitters batted .260/.306/.377/.684 against him, he received an average of 3.18 runs per start, 13/17 Quality Starts, 5 CG, 2 SHO, 58.8% GB%, 3.55 FIP (I know you were waiting breathlessly for that last one ). Picture below:
What a draft the 1901 draft was. 1st round: Dwight Evans, Charlie Hough, Johnny Damon, Zack Wheat (HoF), Roberto Alomar (HoF), Ted Lyons (RL HoF), Jim Bunning (HoF), Mel Harder, Don Drysdale (HoF), and so on and so forth. The 80th (no supplemental rounds, so I couldn't bring in Spritzeified players for that draft), and final pick of the draft? Duane Ward, the only RP to make my HoF so far. Holy crap! Eight eventual HoFers were in that draft (Wheat, Alomar, Caminiti, Munson, Bunning, Drysdale, Tim Hudson, and Ward) out of the 80 players selected, and there were also some very good players in it. Geez!

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-08-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #57
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Mickey Mantle's streak of twenty straight All-Star games (1928-1947) comes to an end with a resounding thud in 1948. He's now batting .248/.338/.353/.692 with 7 HR and 45 RBI at the end of July. Not bad for a 39 year old, but nowhere near what he once was in this game (9 MVP, 5 GG, 20 All-Star Games, 15 SS, 4 WC, and 2 LCS MVP). If this is it, it's been one helluva ride. Next stop Cooperstown.
Attached Images
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #58
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The 1948 draft list is out, and this great Negro Leaguer (along with PCL catcher and sometime left fielder Clarence Brooks) will join 80 other players who played in MLB, including "The Left Arm of God".
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-10-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:45 AM   #59
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning over a new leaf re: pitcher wins or anything, but I just saw a quartet of starting pitchers that comes as close to Mike Cuellar (20-9, 3.08), Pat Dobson (20-8, 2.90), Jim Palmer (20-9, 2.68), and Dave McNally (21-5, 2.89), of the 1971 Orioles, as I have ever seen in OOTP (at least I think so). The 1971 Orioles starting quartet went 81-31 (.723) with a 2.89 ERA in 142 GS. Their quartet pulled this off in a run scoring environment of 3.89 runs per game across MLB and 3.87 runs per game in the AL (the NL slightly outscored the AL in RL 1971 MLB)

Remember I don't manage any teams in this dynasty, so I didn't stack this team. The 1948 Athletics went 107-55 as a team in my random debut historical, scoring 841 runs and allowing 630 in a league where the run scoring environment was 4.33 runs per game across MLB and 4.49 in the AL. The interesting thing about this quartet of starters is that they are all left handed. They are: Jon Matlack (25-8, 3.24), Pete Dowling (20-8, 2.78), Eppa Rixey (20-7, 2.83), and Steve D Barber (18-9, 3.36). So this quartet went 83-32 (.722) with a 3.04 ERA in 132 GS. Given the difference in run scoring environments, it's quite possible this quartet had a better season, which is phenomenal when you think about it. Wow!

Another interesting thing is that the Cy Young went to Corey Kluber, who played with both the Indians (64-98) and the Yankees (72-90) and went 21-10, 2.59 in 274.1 IP. Having a record like that on teams like that speaks volumes about the kind of season Kluber had. Had I been given more slots for Cy Young balloting, I would've gone: 1. Corey Kluber, 2. Jon Matlack, 3. Pete Dowling, 4. Eppa Rixey, 5. Mike Sirotka (another southpaw: 20-10, 3.00), 6. Steve D Barber, and 7. Phil Knell (yet another southpaw, it's a golden age for them and it's about to get better with Koufax: Knell went 17-14, 3.36), also of the Yankees. Four of the top six slots on one team, yet they don't get the award.

Oh well, Buck J Freeman won the triple crown on the hitting side and took the MVP and Steve D Barber was ROY, so they did OK, plus they won the most important prize of all: the World Series. In fact, it was eerily reminiscent of your 1984 Tigers David Watts. 1st place in the AL by 19 games, and an 8-1 postseason while outscoring the poor Browns and Phillies by a combined score of 56-14. I've never seen anything like it that I can recall in this game. Throw in Rodrigo Lopez' 28 GS and 16-8 record (with a putrid 4.62 ERA), and the other two pitchers that picked up two starts without a decision, and you have a quintet that went 99-40 with 2 other starters with no record. I suppose that means the bullpen went 8-15, so they have something to improve on this offseason.
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-11-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #60
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Shoeless Joe Jackson has just won his 10th batting title in his age 30 season. He has now played 14 seasons of big league baseball. In three of those seasons, he did not qualify for the batting title. I guess what I'm saying is, when he qualifies for a batting title, he wins it. The only time he didn't win a batting title was 1948, when he finished 2nd to Home Run Baker (who went .368, 41 HR, 131 RBI that year - won the triple crown and the MVP) in batting average in the NL with a .332 mark. Geez!
Attached Images