Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
nutriahunter
Bat Boy

Offense and Defense scheme logic

While there are not going to be individual playbooks for teams will the plays be diversified enough to cover different basic schemes?

Examples 1:
In a zone blocking play the linemen is blocking an area or zone while in a man or drive blocking scheme the lineman is responsible for blocking a specific man or men.
The running back in zone blocking is responsible for finding the gap or hole created by the linemen. While the running back in man or drive blocking is taught to run to a specific gap.

Example 2:
Some offenses have route trees (actually all NFL teams have route trees some are just more complex than others.) The WR runs a specific route depending on the defense and the formation the offense is in. So the different plays actually can come from the same play called depending on the scheme

Example 3:
The 3-4 LeBeau offense has different philosophy than the Wade Phillips 3-4 for the same basic call the players responsibilities are very different.

The LeBeau defensive ends have more of a responsibility for taking on linemen to free the linebackers to make plays (Even though they played a little different this year ). The nose guard is usually head up on the center and absorbing double teams.

In the Phillips defense the nose guard is lined up in a gap usually and attacks the gap. The defensive ends have more of a responsibility to get up the field than in the LeBeau defense and on a passing down one linebacker usually has his hand down and plays more like a 4-3 defensive end.

Since you are not having individual playbooks these differences could be handled by setting them up as different plays
( e.g. sweep left and zone blocking sweep left). Later versions of the game could gather them into separate playbooks (e.g. zone blocking run playbook, Pittsburgh zone blitz defense, etc...)

No matter the answer the game so far sounds terrific and I am eagerly awaiting it's release next year.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

I would think the answer to this question lies within the individual coaches and GMs. Although there are quantifiable advantages that coaches bring to their organizations in real life, it may be too much to expect from v1 of BTS.

Your idea is, of course, exactly what football sim fanatics like myself will eventually rely on though. Within each individual coach in this game, there should eventually be enough detail to satisfy the true simmer.

BTW, schemes like this should not be something we, as gamers, simply click in a check box (unless there's a commissioner mode like OOTP, nullifying the coach's tendancies).
Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Currently in the Engine (so more may be added/changed as we still have along way to go):

Blocking:
It's zonal currently.

Pass Routes:
The WR at the moment doesn't change route like they would in real life depending on the position of the DBs etc, but that's something I would like to change.
Once again it's a time thing - on one hand it needs to be done at some point as it's realistic, on the other - as it would take so long to do correctly - is it something the majority of people would even notice? "I called a go route but the WR actually went corner as the there was no middle safety coverage". Realistically how many people would notice that vs the amount of time it would take to do it?

Different 3-4s etc:
As the playbooks would be the same for V1, it would be difficult to do different types of 3-4s. We'll have coaches preferring 4-3 over 3-4 etc, but probably not the different types of 3-4 (at least to the detail you indicate).

Quote:
No matter the answer the game so far sounds terrific and I am eagerly awaiting it's release next year.
Thank you,
Francis
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
...The WR at the moment doesn't change route like they would in real life depending on the position of the DBs etc, but that's something I would like to change.
Once again it's a time thing - on one hand it needs to be done at some point as it's realistic, on the other - as it would take so long to do correctly - is it something the majority of people would even notice? "I called a go route but the WR actually went corner as the there was no middle safety coverage". Realistically how many people would notice that vs the amount of time it would take to do it?...
Francis, even well established video games don't have great complexity in hot routes, reads, etc. There's a built in simplicity to it...

But maybe, as time becomes available, it could be as simple as assigning hot routes per basic route, or as complex as a hot per down/distance/situation.

But as always, thank you for all considerations.