Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 12-19-2004, 03:45 PM   #121
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Enjoyed Amato's bit on Mike Koranicki, I hadn't known much about him. Thanks again for continuing to post these Mark.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:19 AM   #122
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 20/12

Two new files uploaded today.

The first is a pack of 160 FW Tomato Cans prepared by Antonin based on the Tomato Can Templates created by Pierre. This pack can be found in the Tomato Cans section on the Downloads page.

The second pack is a pack of 50 heavyweights rated by CONN Chris over the last month in the new HW's thread. This pack can be found in the Fighterpacks section on the Downloads page.

Quote:
Thanks again for continuing to post these Mark.
No Problem Chris, thanks for contributing.

Cheers,
Mark
Gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:25 AM   #123
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Mark:

Would you happen to know if Amato has ever done a blurb on Paul Poirier? (MA Heavtweight in the 90s, Middleweight in the early 70s)

Thanks again,

CONN

(my son Wyatt is in my lap and insists that I post a dancing banana)
Old 12-21-2004, 02:17 AM   #124
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Sorry Chris I have no idea.

Mark
Old 12-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #125
jofre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS
Mark:

Would you happen to know if Amato has ever done a blurb on Paul Poirier? (MA Heavtweight in the 90s, Middleweight in the early 70s)

Thanks again,

CONN

(my son Wyatt is in my lap and insists that I post a dancing banana)
Jim Amato has not. But IBRO has the following summary on Paul in his bio on BoxRec:

"Paul Poirier grew up in New Bedford, MA. When he was age 10 his father was killed in a fire after falling asleep smoking a cigarette. Three years later his mother died of a cerebral hemorrhage.

Paul got involved in a lot of street fights and was usually beat up on a regular basis. His brother-in-law became his legal guardian and took him to the Petronelli gym in Brockton. This is where he learned to box. He sparred regularly with another young middleweight Marvin Hagler.

In 1971, at age 13, he started to box in junior competition for fighters under the age of 16. In 1972 he won the 125-lb Silver Mittens Championship in Lowell, Massachusetts and later that year he won a bronze medal at the Junior Olympics. In 1973 he was a finalist at the New England Golden Gloves in Lowell, Massachusetts.

He turned professional shortly after participating in the New England Golden Glove tournament on May 3, 1973, at age 15, using a fake birth certificate. Paul quickly became a fan favorite. He possessed a good jab, plenty of speed and a lot of moxie. The late hall of fame Boston boxing promoter Sam Silverman liken him to former welterweight great Billy Graham. Silverman said, “You know, a stand-up boxer, really classy, but much more aggressive. Paul’s never been in a dull fight in his life.”

Paul’s natural skills quickly moved him from six round preliminary fights to eight and ten rounders in rapid time. Shortly after his seventh consecutive victory, an eight round decision over 63 fight veteran Beau Jaynes, the Massachusetts State Boxing Commission discovered that Paul had turned pro just shy of his 16th birthday. To make him lay- off for 2 years until he reached 18, the legal age for boxing professional in Massachusetts would prove to be detrimental to his promising career. By special act of the Massachusetts Legislature he was allowed to continue to fight professionally. “He was a rugged kid and a pretty fair boxer so we decided to change the rules, “ said Tommy Rawson of the Massachusetts Boxing Commission. Rawson further stated, We changed the law so that anybody 16 and over could fight, providing they had the ability to do so.”

Paul abruptly retired from the ring after winning an eight round decision over John L. Sullivan in Boston on December 20, 1974. Paul said he was burnt out. He was 17 ½ years of age and wanted to live a normal life like all his friends. His plan was to take a two-year hiatus from the ring and return in two years. He would only be 20 years of age, he reasoned, still young enough to pick up the sport again.

Conversion to the Jehovah Witness religion, marriage and children ended Paul’s return to the ring.

When Paul saw George Foreman’s successful return to the ring, he decided to return to the ring in 1990 after an absence of 15 years. Now, age 33 and a heavyweight, Paul went 10-3 over the next 3 years; finally finishing his career when he was stopped in the seventh round by 44 year-old come-backing former heavyweight champion Larry Holmes. His biggest achievement during his comeback was winning and defending the New England Heavyweight Title.

One can only wonder, what if – if Paul returned to the ring at age 20, rather than age 33."

Last edited by jofre; 12-21-2004 at 02:56 PM.
jofre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #126
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

That's a great bio piece Jofre, thank you
Old 12-22-2004, 03:25 AM   #127
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 22/12

Two more files have been made available for download.

The first is a second pack of SW Tomato Cans by CONN Chris based on the Tomato Can Templates created by Pierre. These TOmato Cans are named after real fighters who had less than 5 career fights. This pack can be found in the Tomato Cans section on the Downloads page.

The second pack is a career replay pack put together by David Myers, for middleweight Carmen Basilio that features all of Bailio's opponents that had yet to be rated. This pack is available from the Fighterpacks section on the downloads page.

Mark
Old 12-27-2004, 02:03 AM   #128
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 27/12

The first three of the Fictional Fighter packs have been uploaded to CornerWork.com. The three weight classes available are Flyweight, Bantamweight and Featherweight. The fighters in these packs were created by members of the Title Bout message boards and were compiled by Pierre. The files can be found in the Fictional Fighters section on the Downloads page.

The rest of the files will be uploaded over the next few days.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #129
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 29/12

The remaining files of the Fictional Fighter packs have been uploaded to CornerWork.com. The five weight classes made available today are Lightweight, Welterweight, Middleweight, Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight. The fighters in these packs were created by members of the Title Bout message boards and were compiled by Pierre. The files can be found in the Fictional Fighters section on the Downloads page.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-29-2004, 01:31 AM   #130
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

I downloaded them all individually, and I believe the effort was worth it. So downloading them in packs... No brainer! Will do that so I can have a backup just in case.

Good work folks!
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:59 AM   #131
djday45
All Star Starter

Mark,
did I senf you the Terry McGovern career pack for cornerwork?

rgds
Dean
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #132
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Yes you did, should be posted soon. Just had to clear some of the backlog with the fictional files.

Mark
Old 12-29-2004, 07:31 PM   #133
djday45
All Star Starter

ok Mark no sweat

rgds
Dean
Old 12-30-2004, 06:04 PM   #134
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 31/12

Three new downloads have been made available today.

The first is a pack of over 300 fictional HW fighters created by Johnny Bench. These fighters are all active at around the turn of the century so date of birth and career years may need to be altered to suit your universe. This pack is available in the Fictional Fighters section on the Downloads page.

The second pack is a collection of over 50 SW fighters that CONN Chris has rated in the last few weeks on the TB message boards. This pack can be found under Fighterpacks on the downloads page.

The final pack is another in the line of career replay packs created by DJDay. This one covers the career of "Terrible" Terry McGovern, and contains all his unrated opponents. This pack can be found in the Fighterpacks section on the downloads page.

As always thanks goes to all the contributors for all their hard work.

Mark
Old 12-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #135
JohnnyBench
Minors (Triple A)

Just a note about the 325 Heavyweights that are posted at cornerwork.

These are the heavys that I have been using in my Fictional Universe.

I thought that it may give someone a quick jump start at an all fictional universe.

Some are created from scratch, some are renamed and tweaked from the original database.

Some were downloaded from the threads, so forgive me if you find some in there, especially tomato cans, that are from other downloads. I didn't think about removing those before I sent them to Gunsmoke.

As Gunsmoke said, most (4 rating and up) have late 1800 and early 1900 birth years because that is when my Universe takes place!
JohnnyBench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #136
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 02/01

First update for the new year. I hope the new year finds you all in good health.

A new download is available created by DJDay. This one covers 18 fighters, of varying weights, who began their career in 1907. The pack can be found in the Fighterpack section on the Downloads page.

I would like to thank all the contributors who over the last year have provided CornerWork and the Title Bout community with their hard work. I hope we have several more years of fun.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #137
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Good work on your site also Mark. The 1907 pack was a favor Dean did for me, it contains fighters I picked from boxrec that fought during 1907 (not necessarily started in 1907) so I can add them to my universe at the end of my current year.

I usually create my own but I don't put any though or effort into them and Dean pitched in to help me out. I like to add at least 4 fighters per weight class each year and am hoping Dean will continue to help me out. Although with all the 20's fighters created, I doubt I'll need much help once my universe gets a little further along.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:45 AM   #138
djday45
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365
Good work on your site also Mark. The 1907 pack was a favor Dean did for me, it contains fighters I picked from boxrec that fought during 1907 (not necessarily started in 1907) so I can add them to my universe at the end of my current year.

I usually create my own but I don't put any though or effort into them and Dean pitched in to help me out. I like to add at least 4 fighters per weight class each year and am hoping Dean will continue to help me out. Although with all the 20's fighters created, I doubt I'll need much help once my universe gets a little further along.

By all means, I am helping my universe just as much as yours. I will just slot them in inbetween career packs.

rgds
Dean
Old 01-11-2005, 02:14 AM   #139
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 11/01

The George Dixon Career Replay pack has been posted on Cornerwork.com. This pack, created by DJDay, contains all of George Dixon's opponents. The pack can be found in the Fighterpack section on the Downloads page.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-12-2005, 02:08 AM   #140
Gunsmoke
All Star Starter

Update 12/01

The Sailor Tom Sharkey Career Replay Pack is now available for download. This career pack, created by DJDay, contains all of the unrated opponents of Tom Sharkey's career, particularly in the HW division. The pack is available in the Fighterpack section on the Downloads page.

Mark