Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Question about adding ethnicities

Okay, as Andreas mentioned in another thread, it looks like the separate ethnicities file has been done away with and its contents incorporated into the "world_default" file.

So my question is this: To add a new ethnicity, one would merely do the following?

1.) Add the following line to the "world_default" file under "<ETHNICITIES>" after line 39.

Example:

<ETHNICITY id="40" name="Cuban" african="10" asian="0" east_indian="0" caucasian="64" hispanic="26" />

2.) Add the names to be associated with this new ethnicity to the "names" and "first names" files respectively.

Example (names):

Raht,1,40
Heinsohn,1,40

(BTW, nice touch, guys. LOL!)

Example (first_names):

Hein,200,40
Hannes,100,40
Kuddel,100,40

3.) Make the following changes to the nation you want to associate this new ethnicity with in the world_default file.

Example:

<NATION id="49" name="Cuba" pop="11239363" etid="40" capid="31031" gender="0" bbqual="5" abbr="CUB" dem="Cuban" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">

Is that about the size of it?

EDIT: This was a careless oversight on my part. The following line must also be edited under the nation whose ethnicity you're trying to change:

<ETHN_PCTS>
<ETHN_PCT etid="40" pct="100" />

So, for clarity's sake, the first 7 or so lines under the nation you're editing should look like so:

<NATION id="49" name="Cuba" pop="11239363" etid="40" capid="31031" gender="0" bbqual="5" abbr="CUB" dem="Cuban" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">
<SECOND_NATIONS>
<SECOND_NATIONS id="70" pct="2" use_name="0" />
<SECOND_NATIONS id="178" pct="1" use_name="1" />
</SECOND_NATIONS>
<ETHN_PCTS>
</ETHN_PCTS>

Note: There are four lines devoted to "Second Nations". Not every nation I've checked has these additional lines of code, so I'm going to assume they're optional. I don't know what effect deleting or not deleting them will have on the overall distribution of names, so I'm going to leave them alone for now and report back if it skews the results I'm expecting.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Is that about the size of it?
I haven't actually done it myself yet, but yes I think that should do it!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
I haven't actually done it myself yet, but yes I think that should do it!
Okay, great! Thanks for the quick response, Lukas. I'm going to try it. If it crashes the game, or starts a small electrical fire, I'll report back here....after I call 911 (In case of the latter ), of course
Old 03-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing the "Second Nation" thing is what percentage of people from that nation have second nations, and which nations?

So if you had "<SECOND_NATIONS id="61" pct="2" use_name="0" />" it would produce 2% of players with English as their second nationality, but not use the English nameset?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Success!

Remember, this was only a test. Don't actually edit Cuba in this way in the world_default and name files unless you really love Markus and Andreas and wish to place them in an exotic, tropical setting....or want to punish them under the iron fist of a Commie state

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I'm guessing the "Second Nation" thing is what percentage of people from that nation have second nations, and which nations?

So if you had "<SECOND_NATIONS id="61" pct="2" use_name="0" />" it would produce 2% of players with English as their second nationality, but not use the English nameset?
Right you are, sir! Thanks!

Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Caporegime
All Star Starter

BTW, the new fictional logos the game generates are awesome. A huge, HUGE improvement over what previous versions cooked up.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post

Correct!

Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
DB930
Major Leagues

I haven't dug into this yet, but can you set multiple "second nationalities" for one nation? Could I theoretically add for example an Italian-American nameset, and an Irish-American one, and Jewish-American, and so on, so that each has USA set for their main nationality but the appropriate Italian, Irish, Israeli, etc., for their second?
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
I haven't dug into this yet, but can you set multiple "second nationalities" for one nation? Could I theoretically add for example an Italian-American nameset, and an Irish-American one, and Jewish-American, and so on, so that each has USA set for their main nationality but the appropriate Italian, Irish, Israeli, etc., for their second?
Yes.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

We really need a middle eastern facegen ethnicity
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As Markus points out, you can do that, but you don't need to if all you want to do is add those namesets to the US. As I understand it, secondary nationalities are mainly useful if you want to stage international tournaments like the WBC.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
As Markus points out, you can do that, but you don't need to if all you want to do is add those namesets to the US. As I understand it, secondary nationalities are mainly useful if you want to stage international tournaments like the WBC.
Yep, which is exactly what I want to do. So this'll make it a lot more convenient than going thru the draft list every year trying to spot the German names, the Italian names, the Dutch names, etc., and manually assigning the second nationalities...
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
We really need a middle eastern facegen ethnicity
I dunno. I've always thought that the faces generated under the East Indian ethnicity made far more convincing Middle Eastern or Arabic looking faces than actual East Indian ones.

If anything, a Polynesian and a "mixed race" option, preferably one that would permit you to choose which features to combine, would be handy to have.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

Quote:
As far as I can tell you can only do this if you have those ethnicities as the set ethnicities of the secondary nationality countries. For example, you would need an Italian-American nameset as the set ethnicity for Italy. It would be nice if we could set a different nameset for the those players, like if we could have Americans with Italy as their secondary nationality use an ethnicity that isn't Italy or the US's. Maybe an idea for 20.
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
BennyTheMarlin
Minors (Double A)

My dynasty and game world were created on the previous version, where the ethnicities were separated into a different file. Are there steps I can take to add namesets while keeping the old format? If so, what would they be, understanding that I might have to keep old ethnicity info?

Last edited by BennyTheMarlin; 04-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.
BennyTheMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTheMarlin View Post
My dynasty and game world were created on the previous version, where the ethnicities were separated into a different file. Are there steps I can take to add namesets while keeping the old format?
The format for and location of the names hasn't changed at all. The ethnicity information hasn't changed either, it's just in a different location. If you want to use your custom namesets in an OOTP20 league, you'll need to follow the steps outlined in the original post at the top of this thread. That means adding your namesets to the names files and adding corresponding ethnicity information in the world_default.xml file.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
EDIT: This was a careless oversight on my part. The following line must also be edited under the nation whose ethnicity you're trying to change:

<ETHN_PCTS>

So, for clarity's sake, the first 7 or so lines under the nation you're editing should look like so:

<SECOND_NATIONS>
<SECOND_NATIONS id="70" pct="2" use_name="0" />
<SECOND_NATIONS id="178" pct="1" use_name="1" />
</SECOND_NATIONS>
<ETHN_PCTS>
</ETHN_PCTS>
To clarify this point: you don't need to make changes to a nation's ethnicity information when you add a nameset, although it is highly desirable to do so. You can always make changes to a nation's ethnic mix using the in-game nation editor. But if you want to make those changes permanent, so that you don't have to keep making the same changes every time you start a new league, you'll have to follow Caporegime's instructions and edit the nation information.