Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods

Old 05-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #61
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

No, that's for two leagues of 8 teams. He's looking for two leagues of 6 teams. There hasn't been one like what that posted yet, but I'm sure one will pop up eventually.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:41 PM   #62
gmo
Hall Of Famer

A small correction has been to the very first schedule in this thread (found here) which was for a 12-team league. The post was editted drastically, but the only change was getting rid of an accidental doubleheader between teams #8 & #11 in early May by moving one game to a common offday in mid-August.

The previous version still works if you have it, there just may be issues with the doubleheader.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:12 PM   #63
Hank Greenberg
Major Leagues

New request (thanks gmo).

20 team, 2 league, 1 division per league, 154 game.

Id prefer a PCL type schedule if possible....
Old 06-09-2004, 03:11 AM   #64
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Grande Orange
Game Start Times suggestions

Just wanted to make this note about the start times for games in the schedules and whether they are day or night contests. I've noticed some have opted to make all the games night games, and while certainly an easy choice to implement, technically it is somewhat unrealistic.
I was waiting until this thread fell from the front page to reply to this so then I could cheap-bump it by replying. Took longer than I thought.

Yeah, I've just taken the copout of setting all the times to 7pm ET. And I don't even care about ET - it's just 7:05 looks good. It is a whole lot easier in a spreadsheet to fill-down "7" than, well, anything. Really it would not be hard in a spreadsheet to set it up to give weekend day games some to all the time. Some weekday day games might not be too hard to add either. But once the spreadsheet is saved to csv, those would only be one shot deals, as the next year there is the whole issue of the weekdays moving.

Plus there is the issue of time zones. Except for my MLB-based one, my leagues are mostly small area (one time zone), so in my cases same times are actually good. I don't like the idea of west coast & east coast games starting at the same time, but if you're making a generic schedule, you have no idea of where the teams are that correspond to the team numbers. Plus if you are like me and juggle the team numbers from year to year things can get messier.

In summary, better start times are known to be on the wishlist, under consideration in my case, but not likely to be a regular feature. Maybe if there was a special request.

Ah, but that leads to the other issue. Since 6.02a, I've actually been playing the game, finally importing and running with a V5 league. Thus, I have had almost no interest in creating schedules and haven't worked on any. But I'm bound to want to come back to this. The recent requests under consideration are the 6-team 140-game and the 10-team 154-game. Both seem relatively easy, especially compared to that 30-team 165-game beast. I would probably go with the 6-team first since I'd have to think about "PCL-type" for the other.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:30 AM   #65
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Good points. If there's one immediate change I'd like to see in the schedule importer, it would be to switch the start times from a single digit value to a four digit, 24-hour clock value. That would make searching and replacing the start times really easy, since the start time being a 4 digit value makes it completely unique from the single digit team ID value. Currently, with both the team IDs and start times as single values, making changes by searching and replacing is much more problematic.

I've still got a number of schedules I'm trying to work on as well. My goal is to make a complete two 8 team leagues set, with 154 and 168 game schedules, and then adding later a 140 game schedule, and perhaps even 147 and 161 game schedules. I intend to make a separate version of each for each day of the week a year starts on - doing this allows the user to simply load up the schedule for the appropriate year and have realistic road trips and such for every year, while still having a different schedule each time.

The first one I'm trying to produce is a completely modern style 154 game schedule, following all of the official and unofficial schedule policies and practices MLB uses at the moment. It will include leser known practices such as the Sunday season opener and the limiting of 2-game series to just 3 or 4 per team.

Unfortunately, I find it to be really slow going, due in large part to the fact that I really sweat over every little detail, trying to get it as perfect as possible.

Once that one is accomplished, next would be a more standard style of 154 game schedule which will include a lot more 2-game series, since the full modern style version greatly reduces the occurrence of 2-game series by a little trick in the juggling matchups, which some folks may not like (though I'm sure MLB would actually follow it if it were currently two 8 team leagues).

I'll probably follow that up with the 168 game season length, as that looks to be a pretty simple and straightforward one to accomplish. I suppose I ought to start with it first, since it's simpler, but I figure more folks are interested in a 154 game rather than a 168 game schedule.

By the way, I came across an article on the creation of the 1965 NL schedule, which lists the method that was used in putting together the matchups in the schedule. It is an excellent concept, and works out really well. I'll explain it if you're interested, and think it might help with the creation of a 10-team league schedule.

As for PCL style schedules, if you have any questions on that, just let me know. Personally, these ought to be the easiest of all to create, since every series is a week-long affair. Anytime you have less series to place it should make things much less complicated...
Old 06-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #66
gmo
Hall Of Famer

12 team, 140 game schedule

2 leagues, 1 division per league, 6 teams per division
28 games per opponent (14H/14A)
no interleague games

See the comments at the top of the file for a few more details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule12team140_26n.txt (10.5 KB, 592 views)
Old 06-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #67
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Grande Orange
Currently, with both the team IDs and start times as single values, making changes by searching and replacing is much more problematic.
With the csv files I have made, the lines do not end in commas as they apparently do when you just export from OOTP. Thus it is relatively easy to juggle the teams since the team numbers have commas on both sides but the gametimes have one only on the left. Say I have a 6-team league, I can replace ",1," with ",X," then ",2," with ",1," and so on until ",6," with ",5," and ",X," with ",6,". Notepad & Wordpad won't do it, but I believe that in Word if there are commas after the gametimes you can do a replace on the comma and carriage return to have just a carriage return. With that rearranging and switching the home & away columns in a spreadsheet, I am happy with the variety I get with the same schedule.

Quote:
As for PCL style schedules, if you have any questions on that, just let me know. Personally, these ought to be the easiest of all to create, since every series is a week-long affair. Anytime you have less series to place it should make things much less complicated...
I know you've posted much about them before and I could probably dig that up. The week-long series thing was about all I remembered detail-wise. Since I knocked out a 12-team 140-game schedule fairly quickly, I might try the other soon. No need to spend much time, but you could give me some quick suggestions on how I might attack it. Ten teams, 154 games... Balance may not be critical but my inclination would be to go for 77 home & 77 away, which would break down to 8-9 home & away against each of the other nine teams. Thus perfect balance could not be achieved, and 8-9 games total vs or at a team does not lend itself well to 6 or 7 game weeklong series. Maybe Hank Greenberg could be more specific in his request about what exactly he'd like?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:01 PM   #68
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the schedule gmo. I will put it to good use.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #69
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by gmo
No need to spend much time, but you could give me some quick suggestions on how I might attack it. Ten teams, 154 games... Balance may not be critical but my inclination would be to go for 77 home & 77 away, which would break down to 8-9 home & away against each of the other nine teams. Thus perfect balance could not be achieved, and 8-9 games total vs or at a team does not lend itself well to 6 or 7 game weeklong series. Maybe Hank Greenberg could be more specific in his request about what exactly he'd like?
In many of the PCL schedules, there was little attempt to balance the home/away splits against individual opponents, and often not even as a whole for the season. The week-long series format was strictly adhered to, though later on some half-week series were thrown it to try and balance things out a little more.

If it were a 162 game schedule, then the 18 matchups against each opponent could be split into three 6-game series, meaning most home/away splits would be either 12-6 or 6-12 (and could be alternated each year), with perhaps one team being split 9-9 using half-week series to keep the overall home/away split equal. Dropping to 154 games though, as you noted, doesn't work out very well.

So, I'd say you're right, Hank should check back in and clarify just what he'd like to see.

In any case, to work out the schedule for a 10 team league, regardless of the particular style, split the 10 teams into geographical groups. Here's what the NL did for 1965:

New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh were the east group; Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and St. Louis were the central group; Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco were the west group; and Chicago was the swing team.

One 3 team group would play all the teams in another 3 team group, yielding a total of 3 series. The swing team joins the remaining group of 3 teams, making a 4 team group who play amongst themselves, which also works out to 3 series played since there are 3 other opponents. After this, a 3 team group plays a different 3 team group, with the swing team joining whatever 3 team group is left over. Following this system, it makes it really easy to set up the schedule for the 10 teams, as it always breaks down into blocks consisting of 3 series.

So, for example, when the west group plays the east group, the swing team joins the central group. After that, the west group could play the central group, with the swing team then joining the east group. Finally, the central and east groups could play each other, with the swing team joining the west group. After these games are concluded, each team has now played one series against each of the other 9 opponents in the league.

This method also has the advantage of making the road trips look reasonable, since it takes into account the relative geographical structure of the league.

If I ever do a 10 team league schedule, this is the method I'm going to use...
Old 06-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #70
soccercjs22
Minors (Single A)

ok im so computer illiterate that its not funny at all so can someone tell me what i do after i download the schedule i want please

thanks ahead and im sorry if its already been told
Old 06-10-2004, 12:04 AM   #71
Hank Greenberg
Major Leagues

Sorry for not replying earlier.

It would be 15.4 games vs each opponent if even, obviously not possible.

18 games vs 4 teams (90 games)
12 games vs 6 teams (60 games)

This equals 144.

Now how do you combat this?

Well, in something I find borderline odd, but fun non-the-less, I decided that each team should play every other team in the last 10 games, with 1 off-day between each game (travel day).

Of course, there would be only 9 teams, so I suppose I only want a 153 game schedule (didn't do my math right before).

So each team would play 12 series a year, with the 9 game end of year (lets say first weekend of October it starts if you guys could do that).

Is that clear enough (dont know if I just spoke in a way only I woudl get) and is it doable?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:12 AM   #72
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by soccercjs22
can someone tell me what i do after i download the schedule i want please
Not a problem. Once you have the file downloaded somewhere on your computer (and if it is a .zip file, have it unzipped), change the file extension to .csv, rather than .txt or whatever it is initially, unless it already is a csv. To import into the game, choose league setup, then the edit schedule button on the lower right hand side. When you enter the edit schedule screen there will be an option at the bottom to "import schedule". So choose that and find in the file manager window that pops up the schedule file. Select that, OK it, and the program will pause for a moment as it loads the schedule. Once you have the schedule loaded, you'll need or probably at least want to do a couple of things like set the All-Star Game date and set the year starts on date. These were likely noted either in the post with the schedule or in the schedule file itself (which can simply be opened in Notepad, Wordpad, or the like).

If you need any further clarification or advice on something like adjusting the schedule to better match a different year that for what it was designed or how to juggle matchups for future seasons, feel free to ask. Keeps the thread bumped
Old 06-10-2004, 12:32 AM   #73
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Greenberg
Is that clear enough
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm following you all the way.

10 teams per league, so that means 9 opponents for each team. Will play each of them once over a ~2.5 week period starting around the 1st of October. That's clear. So that is 9 games of the let's say 153 games of the full schedule. That leaves 144 games, divided by 9 opponents, which could mean 16 games per opponent, which could be 8 home & 8 away. Or it could be unbalanced in not playing all the teams the same amount and/or not the same amount home/away. What exactly "PCL-type" did you want? That lack of balance, weeklong series, something else?

Something can be made for you one way or another, but what you want could determine how easy it is to make and how elegant it turns out to be, not to mention how much you like it. Plus, the more precise the description the less I have to think.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:45 AM   #74
soccercjs22
Minors (Single A)

ok thanks a lot i appreciate it
Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 AM   #75
Hank Greenberg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally posted by gmo
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm following you all the way.

10 teams per league, so that means 9 opponents for each team. Will play each of them once over a ~2.5 week period starting around the 1st of October. That's clear. So that is 9 games of the let's say 153 games of the full schedule. That leaves 144 games, divided by 9 opponents, which could mean 16 games per opponent, which could be 8 home & 8 away. Or it could be unbalanced in not playing all the teams the same amount and/or not the same amount home/away. What exactly "PCL-type" did you want? That lack of balance, weeklong series, something else?

Something can be made for you one way or another, but what you want could determine how easy it is to make and how elegant it turns out to be, not to mention how much you like it. Plus, the more precise the description the less I have to think.
Just the week long part of the PCL type.

Each team should face 6 of the teams 18 times (3 series worth), they should face the other 3 teams for 12 games (2 series).

This would make 144 games. They will get 72 home, 72 away.

They would then have the 9 other round-robbin games, some teams woudl get 5 home games, some would get 4 (as its only 153 games).

So team 1 would face:

Team 2-- 3 Times
Team 3-- 3 Times
Team 4-- 3 Times
Team 5-- 3 Times
Team 6-- 3 Times
Team 7-- 3 Times
Team 8-- 2 Times
Team 9-- 2 Times
Team 10-- 2 Times

Then 1 games vs all teams.

You would either have 77 or 76 home games (rotating each year). The end of year games would span for roughly 17 days (sometime around the 1st of october).
Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 AM   #76
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Just to clarify for gmo, the 144 game part of the schedule is all broken down into 6-game series. So, 4 teams are played 18 times (3 series), while the 5 other teams are played 12 times each (2 series). The season then concludes with the 9 1-game series.

The home/away split for the 18 games against an opponent would be either 12-6 (two series at home and one away), or 6-12 (one series at home and two away). Since 4 teams are played 18 times, it would be two of each type of split.

The home/away split for the 12 games against an opponent would be 6-6, or one series at home and one away.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:49 AM   #77
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the blueprint you guys. I've got to whip this one up now that it sounds almost put together in your posts.

The hard thing for me to wrap my head around is the weeklong series thing. I guess one last question would be if there is any preference for when the offdays are. Unless I'm missing something (quite possible) every week requires an offday, and I would probably just go with all Mondays. But let me know if it should be another day, or if some should be mixed in midweek, or anything else.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #78
Hank Greenberg
Major Leagues

Actually it would be cool if you could put the all-star break going from the mon following the 24 week season untill the Thurs following (Mon-Tues-Wends-Thurs with the game on Tuesday) and just before the 9 game end of year which would start that friday (Games Fri-Sun-Tues-Thurs-Sat-Mon-Wen-Fri-Sun, off day and the series would start on that Tues)

Itd go 24 weeks of series
Break for 4 days
9 games.

Everything else seems fine and thanks gmo
Old 06-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #79
davwms
All Star Starter

Per Chance, does anyone have an 80, 81, or 82 game schedule including interleague play for a 20 team - 2 league - 2 divisions per league 5 teams in each division ? I'm going to try to make one myself, but I am usually not all that great at things like this...
Old 06-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #80
gmo
Hall Of Famer

20 team, 153 game schedule

(can also be easily trimmed to 144 games)
2 leagues, 1 division per league, 10 teams per division
19 or 13 games per opponent
no interleague games

Quirky schedule made by request... First 144 games are all in Tues-Sun 6-game series with Mon always an offday. Final 9 games are 1-game matchups against each of the other teams with an offday between all games.

See the top of the file for further details.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp6schedule20team153_210un.txt (19.7 KB, 538 views)