Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 AM   #1
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Exclamation No Dev Diaries????

Wish there was at least monthly dev diaries like Paradox does for its game. Think they do weekly or bi weekly dev diaries.

It really helps the fans and community immensely.

Their new game Imperator: Rome releasing on April 22nd already has about 40 dev diaries. There first diary was May 2018!!1

Always a good idea to copy others who are successful. And Paradox has been one of the most successful Independent niche market developers the last decade+.

Most of theirs are only a couple paragraphs and a couple screenshots. But its so vital to have that information exchange.

Not sure why its not used here. Something to think about. I even think each OOTP release should have dev diaries. Because hey why not?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
low
Hall Of Famer

Too bad Paradox (as a publisher) has the worst DLC policy in existence, nickel and diming their customers to death. Yeah, don't be like Paradox.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Too bad Paradox (as a publisher) has the worst DLC policy in existence, nickel and diming their customers to death. Yeah, don't be like Paradox.
Disagree.

Take Crusader Kings 2 it is over 7 years old now. The DLC policy has kept that game alive as its still usually in the top 15 steam games every month. With new DLC pushing it top 10 to even top 5 occasionally over the last 7 years.

And every paid DLC gets a huge Free Update that works for everyone. And all the DLC are completely optional.Example I never purchased the India one because I never cared to play in India. So I skipped it.

Now yes they do graphic packs, music, figure pawn DLC that are all aesthetic only. But again optional. I haven't bought any of those DLC.

Much better than before they went DLC where expansion packs were a must if you wanted to keep on the updated patch version. When games last a decade long with constant updates and expansion you need a DLC policy like that. That's what most people don't realize. If it didn't exist it would be released in big $50 yearly expansion packs that would be essentially must buys.The way it works now you can pick and choose whichever one you want.

Heart of Iron 4 I never even bought an expansion pack and still load it up for a campaign now and then.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Disagree.

Take Crusader Kings 2 it is over 7 years old now. The DLC policy has kept that game alive as its still usually in the top 15 steam games every month. With new DLC pushing it top 10 to even top 5 occasionally over the last 7 years.

And every paid DLC gets a huge Free Update that works for everyone. And all the DLC are completely optional.Example I never purchased the India one because I never cared to play in India. So I skipped it.

Now yes they do graphic packs, music, figure pawn DLC that are all aesthetic only. But again optional. I haven't bought any of those DLC.

Much better than before they went DLC where expansion packs were a must if you wanted to keep on the updated patch version. When games last a decade long with constant updates and expansion you need a DLC policy like that. That's what most people don't realize. If it didn't exist it would be released in big $50 yearly expansion packs that would be essentially must buys.The way it works now you can pick and choose whichever one you want.

Heart of Iron 4 I never even bought an expansion pack and still load it up for a campaign now and then.

Cities: Skylines. Agree to disagree.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Khephren
Major Leagues

In my experience, Paradox releases games that are still in the Alpha stage. Please don't be like Paradox. It takes a years worth of updates and DLC's just to make them playable. It has only gotten worse since they went to the EA-esque pay for every extra little thing business model. They know people will pay it to make the game playable.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Cities skylines is only produced by paradox not developed so it's dlc is up to developers.

Just like pillars of eternity 1 and tyranny were produced by paradox but developed by obsidian. They had full expansions. Again the devs set the policy.

Alpha? Stop alpha games ate physically not complete. Missing assets that have fake place holders in place.

But anyway lot of Indy devs do dev diaries. Battle Brothers another recent example.

So the question is why no dev diaries here? Why radio silence? Why is that acceptable from the community? Just because of OOTP track record?

I find lack of routine updates disturbing. Even some alpha screenshots would help. Anything I stead of silence. Last word was in September.

Sorry that's unacceptable in the current video game market. Where constant updates are given.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
philthepat

Quote:
Why is that acceptable from the community? Just because of OOTP track record?

Well, yes actually. Markus and co have a great track record of delivering and being reliable with what they say, that must count for something, right?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cities skylines is only produced by paradox not developed so it's dlc is up to developers.

You think a developer is going to tell their publisher when they're going to do DLC, when it's going to be released, and how much it's going to cost? I don't. No way. Agree to disagree again.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthepat View Post
Well, yes actually. Markus and co have a great track record of delivering and being reliable with what they say, that must count for something, right?
Counts, that's why everyone doesn't ask about info for next years OOTP until a couple months from release.

But with a brand new title. Should be 1-2 updates per month up until release.

I'm talking 1-2 screenshots and a paragraph or 2.

Not sure why everyone isn't like yeah give us updates. Give us info.

Don't think it's an unreasonable request. Think radio silence is just a very old school way of doing things and not in a good way.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure why everyone isn't like yeah give us updates. Give us info.

Don't think it's an unreasonable request. Think radio silence is just a very old school way of doing things and not in a good way.
People have requested more in the past few months, but it's become clear that there won't be anything further until they have something more to say. So I think most people who visit this forum regularly in hopes of getting new info have just accepted the status quo and continue to wait patiently.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
People have requested more in the past few months, but it's become clear that there won't be anything further until they have something more to say. So I think most people who visit this forum regularly in hopes of getting new info have just accepted the status quo and continue to wait patiently.
Yeah, when the whole thing was shut down a few weeks ago I stopped requesting info and just trust that development is going on. Doesn't mean I don't want the updates anymore (because trust me, I do very badly).

But I do agree with the OP that this is bad for publicity to not give us something.. we are all waiting anxiously for this game but have had little to no info on it (much, much closer to the no info side of things)...
Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthepat View Post
Jim isn't Markus.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #13
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
Jim isn't Markus.
Do know Jim's history?

He's never said I'm working on a new version and not delivered.

He has almost never posted about how development is coming along. What little he has posted here is about what he normally does or maybe just a bit more

He does have a great track record and is reliable in what he says. Perhaps because he doesn't over hype or promise but waits 'til there is something to talk about?

I think Markus is great but there's been a couple of times he was excited and talked about something new for OOTP that didn't pan out. It's understandable and I don't hold it against him, he develops the best game I've ever played. That's just not Jim's way so yeah, you're right....

Jim isn't Markus
Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #14
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Stupid conversation. Will one of the moderators do the rest of us a favor and close this trivial OP concern.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Stupid conversation. Will one of the moderators do the rest of us a favor and close this trivial OP concern.
Not so fast. Sweed just made some great comments and IMO this is not a trivial concern so what he said made a difference to me.

- Bru

Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Its just big turn off from the game with no updates. I mean Jims update in September basically said there will be no updates basically until release.

I just disagree with that completely in terms of the current gaming age. The successful Indy developers are way more communicative to their user base then ever before.

Especially with Early Access and crow sourcing and which devs have Patreon/Twitch to give updates.

Without updates/dev diaries there is basically no reason to check on this game or forum. Its like ok check back in August. That is just pretty lame.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #17
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Its just big turn off from the game with no updates. I mean Jims update in September basically said there will be no updates basically until release.

I just disagree with that completely in terms of the current gaming age. The successful Indy developers are way more communicative to their user base then ever before.

Especially with Early Access and crow sourcing and which devs have Patreon/Twitch to give updates.

Without updates/dev diaries there is basically no reason to check on this game or forum. Its like ok check back in August. That is just pretty lame.
I completely agree, I sometimes play a game that is in Early Access called Eco and they provide updates not only to the users but to the game itself quite often. Its not unheard of receive frequent updates from developers.. I'm not sure why that's not common practice with a developer like OOTPD but oh well.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 AM   #18
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

The fact it's the 'norm' now for many games to be released woefully incomplete and wanting a full price for it under the guise of 'early access' is by far the worst thing about the current gaming market. I just looked up that Eco example, and they want $43 in my market for a game that is in early access, absolutely ridiculous. I sure as hell hope OOTP never go down the same route for any of their games.

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 03-13-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Your choosing to point out a negative aspect of early access. Some gamers enjoy the early access experience as it's completely different then a launched title.

I never buy an early access title unless it's something like a 90 day sneak peak type of thing.

But early access, crowd sourcing, YouTube, twitch, and steam have also ushered in an age of communication between developers and end user gamers.

Whether a game ever goes into early access or goes conventional, most gamers expect open communication lines in the current gaming world.

FOF on the other hand is completely closed off and that is disappointing.

Honestly even OOTP is closed off we don't here anything about it until like 8 weeks before launch every year.

That is just very old school and not in a good way either. AAA games you even see all year at the cons and expos. You have gaming sites previewing it months and months a head of time.

Indy games don't get that mainstream media love so it's up to the devs to have open communication with their fan base. The fan base should even demand it.

No one here was saying fof needs early access just using it to show the larger gaming picture of open communication.

But everyone on here finds 1 negative aspect and beats it to death.

I bring up paradox who is probably the most successful Indy dev in gaming the last 20 years. Talk about how much they communicate a full year before release.

And people bring up their "dlc" policy. What's that have anything to do with open communication and keeping the fan base informed?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #20
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
The fact it's the 'norm' now for many games to be released woefully incomplete and wanting a full price for it under the guise of 'early access' is by far the worst thing about the current gaming market. I just looked up that Eco example, and they want $43 in my market for a game that is in early access, absolutely ridiculous. I sure as hell hope OOTP never go down the same route for any of their games.
I never said OOTPD should go the early access route, where did you read that in my post? I merely suggested that developers these days are much more open in communicating with their potential customers and OOTPD 6 should be as well. That's all.