Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #61
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I recently printed the entire OOTP 2007 manual. It was a real thrill reading through it. The whole manual is characterized by clarity, orderliness, and painstaking attention to detail. Thank you, Steve (and other talented volunteers), for putting it together. Now, I'm more impressed than ever with this product. I hope Markus (and SI folk) reap a great reward for their labors. They sure do deserve it!

pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #62
bailey
Hall Of Famer

This is a picture from the manual. The explanation for "hit and run" seems to be off topic. I'm just wondering, if it's not because I set all my sliders to never because Earl Weaver in his book says he never uses the hit and run. So, what it really means is my depth chart will never be used?

Last edited by bailey; 08-26-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: change image
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #63
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
This is a picture from the manual. The explanation for "hit and run" seems to be off topic. I'm just wondering, if it's not because I set all my sliders to never because Earl Weaver in his book says he never uses the hit and run. So, what it really means is my depth chart will never be used?

You must not have the revised version. Here's a shot of the same screen from my manual. You're right in what you've pointed out, but I'd get the latest version.
Attached Images
Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #64
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I recently printed the entire OOTP 2007 manual. It was a real thrill reading through it. The whole manual is characterized by clarity, orderliness, and painstaking attention to detail. Thank you, Steve (and other talented volunteers), for putting it together. Now, I'm more impressed than ever with this product. I hope Markus (and SI folk) reap a great reward for their labors. They sure do deserve it!

Yeah, I just printed it out too. And now after the reading the two posts above I'm worried. I ordered the CD to be mailed and was assured the CD would include the latest version of game and the manual. Well, it didn't include the latest version of the game, and now I'm wondering if it included the latest version of the manual, and here I've already printed it. Can someone tell me how I can tell if my manual is the correct version????
Below is a screenshot of the first page.
Attached Images
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #65
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I think 4-Apr is the latest version. It turns out, that I had that version on my desktop, but for some reason the in-game help is referring to the older version.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #66
satchel
Hall Of Famer

suggestion

The manual should standardize its terms when it refers to an overall "game" ("game" is the in-OotP term: a world, or universe, potentially containing multiple leagues) and when it refers to an individual league. Section 26, on Customization, uses the terms inconsistently, which is confusing.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #67
Carlton_Willey
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I think 4-Apr is the latest version. It turns out, that I had that version on my desktop, but for some reason the in-game help is referring to the older version.
You need to put the latest manual version in the same directory as the OOTP game file or it won't be found.
Carlton_Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #68
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Any plans to actually provide a slightly updated OOTP 8 manual, like the program menu implies? I know you are supposed to use the OOTP 2007 manual and just change the shortcut or file name to match, but I just had a thought. That piece you did on the Cato converter certainly would belong in an updated manual. Just asking . . .<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #69
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Any plans to actually provide a slightly updated OOTP 8 manual, like the program menu implies? I know you are supposed to use the OOTP 2007 manual and just change the shortcut or file name to match, but I just had a thought. That piece you did on the Cato converter certainly would belong in an updated manual. Just asking . . .<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Er . . . the OOTP 8 manual is currently experiencing "technical difficulties" (ahem BILL GATES ahem).

Should be up in the next few days!

Steve
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #70
Kemp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Er . . . the OOTP 8 manual is currently experiencing "technical difficulties" (ahem BILL GATES ahem).

Should be up in the next few days!

Steve
I downloaded the OOTP 8 manual that was linked to from the blank manual that was included with the game. It's great, but none of the hyperlinks seem to work. Not sure if that is one of the "technical difficulties" but I thought I'd mention it!
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #71
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
I downloaded the OOTP 8 manual that was linked to from the blank manual that was included with the game. It's great, but none of the hyperlinks seem to work. Not sure if that is one of the "technical difficulties" but I thought I'd mention it!
Yes, it's a "flat" version (don't ask me why that term comes to mind); no links whatsoever.

IIRC, he had problems last year or earlier this year with the 2007 manual when links did not get reproduced properly in PDF; he had to revert to an earlier version of Adobe Acrobat or whatever he was using.

I checked when I first got OOTP 8 and the link was to the 2007 manual; your post is the first indication that an updated manual is available. Steve usually announces such things here - maybe he is still working on it.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #72
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Since we're lacking a manual for OOTP8 right now, where would I find the create a player feature in the game?
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #73
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedwarf View Post
Since we're lacking a manual for OOTP8 right now, where would I find the create a player feature in the game?
Bottom of the Free Agents screen. Commissioners only.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #74
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedwarf View Post
I PM'ed you the answer earlier this morning!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #75
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I PM'ed you the answer earlier this morning!
Thanks, I saw that It's just I was sitting here bored last night right before I went to bed, so figured I'd ask in the manual thread as well, just in case you weren't around
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #76
battists
Hall Of Famer

Argh, the OOTP 8 manual is done, I just forgot to post it.

See link in original post, please!

Well, here it is too, to save you the clicks:

Download the OOTP 8 manual here

Last edited by battists; 12-20-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #77
battists
Hall Of Famer

OK, so here's the story about the links:

I have Acrobat Standard 7.0. Ever since I got it, I have been unable to make it convert a Word document and keep the hyperlinks intact. It worked fine in Acrobat 6.0, and no amount of talking to Acrobat has ever resolved the issue.

If someone has Acrobat Standard 6.0, I would be happy to give you the Word version of the manual, and have you convert it, and even on the default settings, it's been my experience that the Table of Contents and all of the hyperlinks work fine.

So, let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #78
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Remind me. Does this have to put in a particular folder in order to access it in-game?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #79
SMFXR01
All Star Starter

Yes.
By default it will be in something like:-

C:\Documents and Settings\**user**\My Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 8

and over-write the manual that should already be there.
SMFXR01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #80
battists
Hall Of Famer

OK, we have posted a new version of the manual. No content changes, but the hyperlinks should work in this one.

Courtesy of 1998 Yankees, thanks!

Steve