Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 11-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #21
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #10

Boston @ St. Louis: June 11-13, 1928
After a brilliant performance the day before against the Pioneers the Minutemen were looking to make it two in a row and six overall. Boston starting pitcher Ernie Henderson gave the club a real strong effort, he pitched all nine innings giving up three hits and two earned runs. Center fielder Dick Copeland led the way for the Minutemen offensively with three hits and three RBI’s. 8-2 to Win. (33-27)

St. Louis made a strong push early to ruin the Boston winning streak as they hit pitcher Jack Holland for four earned on ten hits in six innings of work. Luckily for Boston, they were able to keep pace offensively as the game was tied through seven innings. In the 8th pinch hitter Ed Wise stroked a 3-1 slider into right for a run-scoring single that put the Minutemen ahead for good. Stopper Dode Jefferis pitched the final two innings for the Minutemen and earned his fifth save of the year. 6 - 5 Win. (34-27)

The Pioneers finally got one over on the Minutemen in the final game of the series. Bill Jenkins just did not have his best stuff as he gave up four earned in seven innings, he also walked four batters. He has been up and down since coming off the IL. Although the Minutemen lost this game they won the series three games to one. Next for the Minutemen will be a trip to Chicago to take on the red hot Chiefs who Boston cannot seem to gain any ground on. 6-1 Loss. (34 - 28)

Boston @ Chicago: June 14-17, 1928
Boston would send Dick Alexander to the mound in the first game of the series against the Chiefs. Alexander was good, however, Chicago starter Al Wood was just a bit better. Both hurlers pitched complete games with Alexander giving up three earned and Wood only one. The Minutemen fought hard as Charlie Barry had three hits and Dick Copeland had two himself. It was a tough way to start the series but it was a hard-fought game. 3-1 Loss. (34 - 29)

The Chicago hitters were tough on Ernie Henderson in the first inning of this one as a plated five runs to take a commanding lead. The Chiefs added three more in the fourth and basically put it on cruise control for the rest of the contest. Buddy Lane got a rare start at shortstop for the Minutemen and went 3-5. Left fielder Homer Krajewski who has been struggling a bit lately had two hits and an RBI. 9 - 2 Loss. (34 - 30)

Boston showed a bit of backbone in the third game of the series and fought hard in a back-and-forth affair that featured a lot of hits. Leading the way for the Minutemen were right fielder Jake Duke with 3 hits, catcher Joe Richards with three hits, center fielder Junior Marrero with two hits and two RBI’s and second baseman Paul McLain with two hits and two RBI’s. Boston plated three runs in the last two innings to top the Chiefs and finally take a game in the series. 10-9 Win. (35-30)

Bill Jenkins did not bring his good stuff for this game. He only lasted 3.2 innings before he had to be pulled. Boston tried hard to come back but it was just too big an obstacle for them. With the loss the Minutemen would drop the series three games to one. Boston will enjoy a day off on Monday before heading to Washington and Philadelphia to end the road trip. 9-4 Loss. (35-31)

GM's Desk: June 18th, 1928
This week was a dichotomy of the baseball season. We went from the bottom team in the league to the hands down hottest in the span of a week. We took three of four from the Pioneers but could only win one out of four in Chicago. Right now we do not have enough favorable matchups to hang with the Chiefs. A few positives though. Our hottest hitter is Charlie Barry who is hitting .369 which is 5th best in the FA. Batting average is really the only offensive category that we have a shot in as Chicago’s Joe Masters is runaway leader almost everywhere else. As a team we are right in the middle of the pack offensively and toward the bottom pitching wise. We have fought hard as a team to this point but I feel the dam is about to break. We can’t sit back and lick our wounds though. We had a few holes in the rosters because of injury and just plain ineffectiveness so we signed some guys to give em a shot. Harry Meek was signed and has reported to short-A Arlington. Meek was the 14th overall pick in last season’s draft by Detroit. Things didn’t work out with the Dynamos but I had a bullpen spot open so I thought it was a low risk acquisition. My scout liked something in Hal Bush’s swing so we grabbed the young 19 year old and had him report to Arlington as well. We lost our starting 3rd baseman at AAA Denver for a few weeks and we found ourselves thin in that department. So we signed Howard Patterson and Bob Fisher to fill the holes. Hopefully, one of these young cheap options can show us something.
Attached Images

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #22
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #11

Boston @ Washington: June 19-21, 1928
Game one of the series against the Eagles featured a fantastic pitching performance by both Jack Holland of the Minutemen and Tommy Russel of Washington. Holland had a rough first inning giving up a two run homer but settled in nicely to go the distance. Russel only had an issue with Charlie Barry and Tom Tucker in the Boston lineup and was able to record a complete game shutout. This was a nice win for Washington as they have fallen hard in the FA standings. 3-0 Loss. (35-32)

Boston was able to bounce back nicely and even the series in game two against the Eagles. Dick Alexander while not great, was effective as he picked up his sixth win of the season. The Minutemen were able to hammer out 14 hits with six of them being of the extra base variety. CF Dick Copeland connected for his third homer of the season and upped his average to .306. Charlie Barry had two more hits and is now sitting at a team best .377 average. The Minutemen will look to take the series in the finale tomorrow. 6-4 Win. (36-32)

Boston did not get the pitching performance they were looking for out of Ernie Henderson. Henderson was hit hard and often and put the team in a tough position offensively. The Minutemen battled with a four run sixth but it would not be enough as they dropped the finale by a single run. 7-6 Loss. (36-33)

Boston @ Philadelphia: June 23-24, 1928
After a rainout to start the series the Minutemen took the extra day to get some rest and relaxation. Several players took in a show at the cinema while others took advantage of their free time by sleeping the afternoon away in the hotel. The game turned out to be a wild affair that had the teams needing extra innings to decide the outcome. Down 3-2 in the 5th the Minutemen benefitted from doubles by both Bob Scholer and Dick Copeland as they plated five in the frame. It was not enough however as Philadelphia put up a run in the bottom half of the 5th and two in the last half of the 9th to send it to extras. Joe Richards played the hero with a two out single to put the Minutemen up for good. The win gave Boston a 4-0 record in extra inning games this season. 7-6 Win. (37-33)

Bill Jenkins was bad in the series finale. There is some real concern in Boston that he may still be suffering some setbacks from his earlier injury. Jenkins would surrender seven earned runs on nine walks in just over five innings of work. A line like that is usually a guaranteed loss for the club. Fortunately for Jenkins his teammates put on an offensive explosion. Seven Boston batters put up double digit hit totals as the team combined for 19 hits and 14 RBI’s. That was more than enough to overcome the pitching issues from Jenkins. Charlie Barry hit his 8th homer of the year and is now sitting at .380 for the season. 14-9 Win. (38-33)

GM’s Desk: June 25th, 1928
I’m really happy with how we did on this road trip. We went 13-8 giving us a 22-14 record overall on the road. We are officially road warriors at this point! Which is good because after a quick four-game home stand we go back on the road for six. I am also very happy with our 10-3 record in one run games. This thing with Bill Jenkins is a bit worrisome. He has been pretty bad and I may have to move him to the pen unless he can figure it out. I also have a couple of AAA options that I could utilize. I really don’t want to have to demote Jenkins, but I can’t keep sending him out to get rocked either. Down on the farm I have some guys that I think are ready for promotion. I will hold off on all pitching promotions for one more week since those promotions may result in the organization having to release some players. These decisions will need to be made anyway within the next few weeks as we have a couple of guys set to get off the IL who have not yet pitched this season. As for the hitters second base seems to be a position of depth as I have an effective player at the FABL level in McLain a solid prospect at AAA in Carr and a solid player at AA in Hutchinson. I may have some tradable assets there. I also have some nice hitting outfield prospects in short and single A. This is another area that could see some movement after the month of June ends.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #12

Boston vs. Washington: June 27-30, 1928
In a rare start CF Junior Marrero did something pretty special in the game against Washington today. Marrero tied a club record by hitting triples in both the 3rd and 6th innings off of Washington pitching. Starter Jack Holland provided eight strong innings of work allowing three earned runs in the win. For Boston, it would be their third consecutive win. 10-3 Win. (39-33)

Game two was a case of both teams providing plenty of hits but very few runs overall. Both squads had 14 hits in the game but the game was tied at two after nine innings of play. With Boston’s perfect extra inning record on the line Dode jefferis and Wilbur Laramee shut down the Washington offense from the 10th to the 12th innings. In the bottom half of the inning Homer Krajewski led the inning off with a single to left. Frank Todd followed with an attempt at a sacrifice bunt but was able to beat it out putting runners at first and second. Bob Scholer was the next man to attempt a bunt but he popped it up on the infield for an easy out. Krajewski and Todd each moved up a base on a passed ball which would not have mattered since the batter Jake Duke drew a walk. Tom Tucker went down swinging for the second out bringing up backup catcher Alfred Cass. Cass didn’t have to do much but stand there as he drew a game winning walk to send the Minutemen home victorious. 3-2 Win. (40-33)

Boston was looking to push the winning streak to five with a sweep against the Eagles in the series finale. Boston hurler Dick Alexander gave all he had and held the Eagles to two earned through nine. Unfortunately for Alexander he wouldn’t factor into the decision as the Boston offense could only score a pair of runs themselves. With the game going to extra innings for the second straight day Boston 3B Charlie Barry took matters into his own hands. In the bottom of the 10th with a runner on because of an error, Barry launched a 1-1 pitch into the left field stands for his career high ninth home run in a season. Boston fans were jubilant after a second walk off win in two days. 4-2 Win. (41-33)

Boston vs. Philadelphia: June 30th, 1928
This game was a makeup for an earlier rainout against the Keystones. Bill Jenkins had his best start in a while but it was still not a very solid performance. Jenkins gave up four earned on nine hits over 8.1 innings of work. The offense did what they can with a late rally but they just fell short snapping the teams winning streak. 5-3 Loss. (41-34)

Boston @ Washington: July 1st, 1928
As the Minutemen closed the door on June with a loss they were looking to get right back on the winning train in a quick one game makeup in Washington before the team headed to Pittsburgh for five. This game was all Boston. Ray Allen earned his second win of the year with a complete game three hit shutout. Offensively, the Minutemen bounced the offerings from Washington starter Harry Horn all over the yard. This one was decided early as many fans headed toward the exits rather than watch their Eagles get beat in such a manner. 8-0 Win. (42-34)

GM’s Desk: July 2nd, 1928:
It was a real nice 4-1 week for us. We closed June with a 16-9 record and have started July off on the right foot. This team has found a way to stick around in a way I had not predicted. We are sitting in third place eight games over .500 and 3.5 back. It will still be difficult to catch the two teams ahead of us with the offenses they feature, but I really like the effort. Glenn Tweed comes off the IL and presents an interesting conundrum as everybody in the outfield right now is performing at a high level. Tweed can really only play RF so Jake Duke would be the odd man out but he is playing so well that I can’t take him out of the lineup. Ultimately, this is a good problem to have. I am ready to make some roster moves anyway so here is how this will play out. 34 year old AAA catcher Freddie Knauer has been released. Knauer was drafted 14th overall back in 1913. He has spent the duration of his career in the minor leagues. He may catch on as a coach somewhere down the line, but his time in our organization as a player is over. 25 year old Red Rapp will be promoted from AA and take the reigns as the starting catcher in Denver. I don’t have anyone that can replace Rapp at Single A so we are going to send our 7th round pick from last year's draft, Bobby Gentry, up to AA. Gentry has been great at short-A hitting .339. His defense is slowly coming along so we are going to make the move now. We are also going to say goodbye to 25 year old LF Nellie Eames. This young man has great leadership skills but cannot get on the field. Our 6th round pick Mike Cifelli has been really good in Arlington and I want to see how he does with a promotion. We signed Howard Patterson about a month ago but he hasn’t been able to crack the lineup. We are going to release him which will give me the roster spot to send Tweed to Denver to get some playing time in a rehab stint. Over the last few hours we have been fielding some calls from various clubs trying to work a deal. Although nothing materialized from these preliminary discussions the lines of communication have been established.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #13

Boston @ Pittsburgh: July 2-5, 1928
Boston was able to jump out to a 5-0 lead in the first game of the Minutemen’s five game series against Pittsburgh.Then the Miners started slowly pecking away at the deficit. Nursing a 5-3 lead going into the 9th Boston manager Ted Specter made the decision to let Ernie Henderson continue in the game. The Miners would rally for a pair of runs to tie the game. Interestingly enough Specter allowed Henderson to pitch the 9th as well. With two outs in the inning pinch hitter John Welch tripled to send the Miners walk off winners. Tough way for the Minutemen to start the series. 6-5 Loss. (42-35)

Jack Holland put together a really nice start to get the Minutemen even in this series. Holland went seven innings giving up one earned on six hits. Offensively, the Minutemen benefitted from a double by Jake Duke (17), a triple by Charlie Barry (4) and a home run by Bob Scholer (3) in the victory. 4-1 Win. (43-35)

Games three and four of the series would be a doubleheader on Independence Day!. In the first game the MInutemen would call upon Bill Jenkins to hopefully provide a solid pitching outing. Jenkins was average across the board, but his three earned would be more than enough for the Boston offense. Boston was very efficient at the plate scoring nine runs on 11 hits. The club was also able to draw seven walks which provided constant pressure on the Pittsburgh pitching staff. 9-3 Win (44-35)

The second game of the doubleheader definitely provided some Independence Day fireworks. Boston starter Dick Alexander was really solid through eight innings of work only giving up a pair of runs. With a lead going into the 9th Boston called on Dode Jefferis to save the game. It didn’t happen as the Miners were able to push across a run and send the game to extra innings. The game went all the way to the 12th where Jim Refroe who plays CF for the Miners tripled off of Phil Sunshine. Boston’s perfect extra inning record went up in flames when Tom Hopkins singled Renfroe home sending the Miners home winners. 4-3 Loss. (44-36)

The Minutemen were flat awful in their last game of the series against the MIners. The Minutemen committed six errors accounting for 5 unearned Pittsburgh runs. It also did not help that Pittsburg starter Dick Reynolds was on his game. This is the type of game that a club just has to put behind them. 7-3 Loss. (44-37)

Boston vs. New York: July 6-7, 1928
Boston’s defensive woes continued for the second straight game as they opened a series at home against the Gothams. The difference in this game however was that the Boston offense pummeled New York starter Bill Parker for seven runs on eleven hits in 4.2 innings. Catcher Alfred Cass provided two hits and three RBI’s in the win. 9-6 Win. (45-37)

Boston starter Jack Holland gave up a run in the 1st and the 5th but battled hard to keep his club in the game. The Boston offense finally clicked in the 7th thanks in part to Homer Krajewski’s two RBI double and plated four runs to take the lead. With inconsistent stoppers Specter opted to stay with Holland for the 8th. It turned out to be the wrong decision as the Gothams were able to even the game up at four. Dode Jefferis pitched the 9th and promptly walked two batters in the inning before John Kincaid delivered the go ahead single. It was another tough loss for the Minutemen this week.

GM’s Desk: July 9th, 1928:
We couldn’t figure things out this week. It was one of those situations where whatever in-game decision we made backfired. These things happen. Overall, we aren’t playing too bad but we cannot make any ground on Chicago. The Chiefs are playing at a real high level right now and unless things change they will run away with the FA. From our perspective we are going to continue to evaluate the players in our organization in an effort to see who can help us win games on the field on a game to game basis.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #25
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #14

Boston vs. New York: July 9th, 1928
What the Minutemen had privately been concerned about with Bill Jenkins turned out to be a reality as the Boston hurler was removed in the second inning in his start against New York. It looks like he will be on the IL for a short bit of time. It would appear the problem is in his elbow. Verdo Burt who has been unhappy about his role on the club came in and promptly gave up six earned runs effectively erasing any Boston chance to claim victory in the series finale. 7-3 Loss. (45-39)

Boston vs. St. Louis: July 10-13, 1928
Boston would next welcome in the Pioneers of St. Louis for a four-game series. St. Louis sits in seventh position in the FA and the Minutemen are due for a series victory. Unfortunately for the Minutemen the series would not get off to a great start as SP Dick Alexander was hit early and often. Alexander was tagged for nine earned over four innings. The loss would be the Minutemen’s third in a row. 12-5 Loss. (45-40)

The losing streak would grow to four as the Pioneers once again laid waste to Boston starting pitching. The culprit today was Ray Allen who would only last 4.1 innings as he gave up eight earned. The loss would drop Allen’s record to 2-4 on the season On a brighter note Jake Duke has continued to produce as he had two hits and two RBI’s in the loss. 8-4 Loss. (45-41)

Boston was finally able to get a decent pitching performance out of one of their starters in game three of the series. Ernie Henderson provided his typical complete game effort only allowing three earned in the process. Offensively it was Dick Copeland’s day as he went a perfect 4-4 driving in two runs. Charlie Barry, Paul McLain and Jake Duke each provided two hits each as the Minutemen were able to snap the losing streak. 6-3 Win. (46-41)

The final game of the series was a wild affair that featured bad defense, poor pitching and plenty of offense. The Minutemen had 17 hits in the game, non bigger than Joe Richard’s walk-off two run single in the bottom of the 9th. Richards would end with 5 RBI’s in the game. LF Homer Krajewski would tie a club record with two triples and SS Carl MIlam would add three RBI’s. While the win was not pretty it was very much needed. 11-10 Win (47-41)

Boston vs. Chicago: July 14th, 1928
Boston would next have first place Chicago in town. The first two games of the series would be in the form of a doubleheader. Game one would feature a return to form somewhat for Alexander. Alexander was pretty solid going eight innings and giving up three earned. The problem for the Minutemen was that Chicago starter Lou Felkel was better. Lou only gave up a single earned run and scattered six hits in the complete game win. 3-1 Loss (47-42)

Game two of the double dip featured another solid pitching performance by a Chicago starting pitcher. Allen went for the Minutemen and he wasn’t awful, but nowhere near good enough to get the win. Boston could only manage seven hits in the loss as they watched their Association deficit grow to 6.5 games back. 6-2 Loss. (47-43)

GM’s Desk: July 16th, 1928:
It was a 2-5 week for us. We had an opportunity at home to cut into the Chicago lead and we were not up to the challenge. We still have two games left in the series, so if we win both we would be right back in it. If we do not, however, I think the 8.5 games we would be back would be the nail in our coffin. I had a feeling Jenkins was not good. He just was not the same pitcher after he came back from the IL. We are going to put him on the IL where I think he will be for about a month. At this point we are not really rushed, we just need him to get fully healthy. Ken Murphy is fully recovered and will take Jenkin’s place in the rotation. It will be Murphy’s first action of the year as he has been out since March. Junior Marrero has been optioned down to Denver to make room for Tweed who has finished his rehab stint without getting injured. He will come off the bench to start as my other outfielders have done nothing to make me want to take them out of the lineup. This week we will finish up with two at home against Chicago and then we welcome in Detroit (who sit above us in the standings) for four. Make or break time in Boston.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #26
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #15

Boston vs. Chicago: July 16-17, 1928
The Minutemen could not figure out Chicago starter Stan Reichmann as he scattered six hits across the nine innings he worked. With a pitching performance like Chicago had it takes a lot of pressure off of the offense who’s five runs were more than enough to do in the Minutemen in this one. 5-2 Loss. (47-44)

Ken Murphy made his first start of the season and it is safe to say that things did not go very well. Murphy walked six batters and gave up four earned over five innings of work. For the series the Boston staff had been able to hold Chicago slugger Joe Masters in check until this final game of the series. Masters blasted homer number 37 in the sixth inning off of Wilbur Laramee. At one point the Chiefs held a 7-0 lead in this game which makes the final score misleading. The Minutemen were overmatched. 8-5 Loss. (47-45)

Boston vs. Detroit: July 18-21, 1928
Boston sent Dick Alexander to the mound in an effort to snap a four-game skid in the first game of the Detroit series. Alexander was just what the Minutemen needed as he was able to hold the Dynamo offense to a pair of earned runs over seven innings. Homer Krajewski has three hits and Charlie Barry hit his 11th homer of the season in the 1st to help break the losing streak. 5-2 Win. (48-45)

It was a wild game indeed for game two of the series against Detroit. Boston starter Jack Holland was uncharacteristically bad in this one. Holland gave up six earned on 13 hits and should have taken the loss. Interestingly enough, Roy Calfee from Detroit was just as bad. Calfee also gave up six earned on 17 hits. So after nine innings of play the game was tied. After all that offense you would think that the game would be decided pretty quickly in the extra set. That was not to be as Laramee, Jefferis, Sunshine and Burt combined to keep the Detroit offense guessing. Finally in the 17th inning Boston was forced to call on Ernie Henderson on short rest and he got torched for five earned in his single inning of work. 11-6 Loss. (48-46)

With both pitching staffs pretty taxed both Boston and Detroit would look for their starting pitchers to carry the load. That would not be the case for Boston. Starter Ken Murphy would pitch better in this outing but he was only available for five innings. Though, he would leave the game with a slim one run lead. A tired Wilbur Laramee would take over and quickly give up the lead. Having to play catch-up the Boston offense went to work. Down one going into the last half of the 9th Milam and McLain were able to put together a couple of singles to tie the game. The game should have gone to extras for the second straight day, but Detroit LF Ed Mercer who came in as a defensive replacement, dropped a ball hit by Dick Copeland to keep the rally alive. Homer Krajewski finished the Dynamos off with a game winning RBI single in the very next at- bat. 7-6 Win. (49-46)

The final game of the series featured some strong pitching and hitting from the Minutemen. SP Ray Allen only gave up a pair of earned runs over the course of nine innings. The Boston offense had 12 hits, three of which came from the bat of Dick Copeland. Barry added three RBI’s to cap off a nice series win for the Minutemen. 7-2 Win. (50-46)

GM’s Desk: July 23rd, 1928:
We knew this would be a make or break week for our club and it was. Although we went 3-3 for the week we were swept by first place Chicago putting us quite a distance back. Winning three of four against Detroit simply allowed us to pull even with them in the standings. Right now it is a battle between Pittsburgh and Chicago. It will be interesting to see if either team will make any moves to shore up their rosters for a stretch run. We have some bad news to report on the injury front. Last drafts #2 overall pick Bobby Montefusco, blew out a tendon in his finger ending his season. Montefusco was drafted to develop into a frontline starter but hasn’t even been able to crack the rotation at single-A Arlington. He has pitched well as of late out of the pen and still has plenty of time to develop. We sure hope that he does.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #27
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #16

Boston vs. Philadelphia: July 16-17, 1928
Game one was all Philadelphia as they hammered Ernie Henderson for seven earned in six innings of work. A few bright spots for the Minutemen included Dick Copeland’s three hits and Charlie Barry’s two hits and two RBI’s. 10-5 Loss. (50-47)

In the finale of the two-game set Philadelphia benefitted from a masterful performance by SP Red Adwell. Adwell pitched a three hit complete game shutout. It also didn’t help that Boston starter Dick Alexander was not very effective in this one. Boston seems to be trending in the wrong direction. 9-0 Loss. (50-48)

Boston @ Detroit: July 25-27, 1928
After a cold day at the plate the day before Boston was singing a different tune in the first game of their series against Detroit. Homer Krajewski lived up to his first name and blasted his fourth of the season in this one. Charlie Barry had two hits while Jake Duke added a hit and two RBI’s as the Minutemen were able to snap a two-game losing streak. 7-2 Win. (51-48)

Boston ran into a hot pitcher in Ernie Miller as the Dynamos were able to even the series at a game a piece. Jake Duke seemed to be the only Boston hitter that could mount any success against MIller with a 4-4 day. 3-1 Loss. (51-49)

Detroit was able to take the series after winning a good pitchers duel in the final game of the series. A two run homer by Homer Krajewski (his second one this week) was the only tangible offense the Minutemen could offer. Boston is in danger of hitting the .500 mark again for the first time since June 5th. 3-2 Loss. (51-50)

Boston @ New York: July 28-29, 1928
Boston needed a big game both offensively and from the mound. They got that in the first game of their series against the Gothams. Ernie Henderson pitched a three hit complete game shutout and the offense was good for eight runs on ten hits. It was a fantastic way for the Minutemen to start a road series.

SP Dick Alexander followed up Henderson’s complete game dominating victory with one of his own on Sunday afternoon in New York. While not a shutout, Alexander only allowed five hits and two earned runs.

GM’s Desk: July 30th, 1928:
This 12-16 July has essentially sunk our chances at a pennant this year. Going into the season I didn't expect to contend this year anyway but we started off on a pretty god foot and were in the mix for a bit. With the trade deadline hitting us tomorrow I will be looking to make some last minute deals to build for the future. We will see what the contenders deem worthy from our roster and if a deal can be finalized. I fully expect most of the guys on our block to be Minutemen come Wednesday, but you never fully know.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #28
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #17

Boston @ New York: July 30-31, 1928
After winning the first two games of the series the Minutemen were looking to keep the winning streak going as they sent Ken Murphy to the mound against the Gothams. Murphy received some early support as Homer Krajewski hit a solo shot in the 1st and Charlie Barry added a three run homer in the 3rd. Murphy had a rough 4th inning giving up three earned but the Minutemen were able to add in both the 5th and 7th innings to secure the win. 9-4 Win. (54-50)

In the final game of the series Boston SP Jack Holland was back on track and gave the Minutemen a solid complete game performance. The win would be Holland’s 10th of the season which tied him with Ernie Henderson for team lead. The offensive slugger of the day for Boston was CF Dick Copeland who had two hits and three RBI’s. 6-1 Win. (55-50)

Boston @ Chicago: August 1-3, 1928
Boston continued the road trip with a trip out west to face the FA powerhouse Chicago Chiefs. The Chiefs had won three straight coming into this series and they have had Boston’s number this year with an 11-1 record against them. Ernie Henderson for Boston and Norm Austin for Chicago would square off in the first game. Neither pitcher was all that effective and the offenses ruled the day. Boston would rally for two runs in the top of the 9th to send the game to extra innings but they would fall short as Johnny Rasberry produced the game winning hit for the Chiefs. 6-5 Loss. (55-51)

In the second game of the series the Minutemen would send Ray Allen to the mound. Allen has been an interesting story this season. Some days he is super effective and others he is good for five earned. In the game against the Chiefs, it was the five earned Allen that took the mound. Allen would go seven innings and took the loss. For Chicago, Lou Felkel would pitch a good ballgame and up his record to 16-4 on the season. 5-2 Loss. (55-52)

It was Ken Murphy’s turn to try his luck against the Chicago lineup in the series finale. He pitched well enough to get the win but the Boston offense could not give him the run support he needed for the victory. Joe Masters hit his 43rd homer of the year to put the Chiefs up for good as they picked up the series sweep. 4-3 Loss. (55-53)

Boston @ St. Louis: August 4-5, 1928
After the sweep in Chicago, Boston would continue the road trip with a stop in St. Louis to face the Pioneers. Needing a win pretty badly the Boston offense took out their frustration on the St. Louis pitching staff. Homer Krajewski had four hits, Joe Richards had three hits and a home run. In total the Minutemen scored 11 runs on 17 hits and were able to snap the losing streak. 11-7 Win. (56-53)

Boston could have used some of their offensive output from the game before as they dropped the second game of the series against the Pioneers. Boston SP Ernie Henderson went the distance and only gave up five hits. Unfortunately the three earned runs that were scored off of him were enough to saddle him with the loss. 3-1 Loss. (56-54)

GM’s Desk: August 6th, 1928:
One thing is for certain. We cannot beat the Chiefs this season. We are a putrid 1-14 against them this year. They should send us a fruit basket or something as a thank you for all the wins we have provided them. With only a month left in the minor league season we are going to make a few final roster moves. 32 year old Don Hansen has been released from Denver to make room for Jim Chandler who needs to come back from the IL. Harry Meek was Detroit’s first round pick from last season. When he was released we signed him and put him in the S-A rotation to see how he would hold up. In 66.0 innings he has been probably the best pitcher on the Arlington staff. We are going to promote him to single A to see how he does for the rest of the season. There are a few more moves I have considered but I think we will hold fast for the rest of this season and re-adjust things going into the offseason.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #29
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #18

Boston @ St. Louis: August 6-7, 1928
Boston came out swinging in the third game of their series against the Pioneers. Jack Holland won his 11th game of the season and he really didn’t need to be all that sharp as the Minutemen scored 14 runs on 19 hits. Jake Duke had four hits but so did Alfred Cass to go along with five RBI’s. 14-5 Win. (57-54)

St. Louis got a bit of revenge against the Minutemen in the last game of their four-game set. Although the Boston offense was pretty potent scoring 7 runs on 14 hits it was not enough. Ken Murphy was hit around pretty good in this one and could not even get through the 5th. He has not been very good in his limited action this season. 10-7 Loss. (57-55)

Boston vs. Philadelphia: August 9-12, 1928
After a day off Boston came back home to face the Keystones for four games at Cunningham field. Ray Allen pitched well enough to win but his defense left him hanging at a key moment allowing two unearned runs. Those runs were enough to send the game into extra innings where Keystone SS King Nelson stroked what would prove to be a game winning double in the 11th. 5-4 Loss. (57-56)

Boston SP Dick Alexander had a real nice performance as he was spotted four early runs thanks to Dick Copeland and Bob Scholer. It was more than enough for Alexander as he went eight innings giving up a single run on seven hits. It was a nice bounce back win for the Minutemen to even the series. 4-1 Win. (58-56)

Ernie Henderson the old innings eater was at it again in game three. Henderson gave up 5 earned in 10 innings of work as the Minutemen dropped another extra inning game. Boston specialized in extra inning wins earlier in the season but lately they have not been able to land on the right side of things in extra frames. Philadelphia catcher Carl Ames had three hits and three RBI’s including the game winner in this one. The loss would drop the Minutemen to a single game over .500 on the year. 5-4 Loss. (58-57)

Jack Holland was locked in for the final game of the series against the Keystones. Holland went 8.1 innings giving up a single run. Dode Jefferis got the final two outs of the game to earn his 10th save of the season. Charlie Barry had three hits and sits at .351 for the season and Homer Krajewski hit home run number seven in the victory. 5-1. (59-57)

GM's Desk: August 13th, 1928
It was a 3-3 week which has become our norm. Next week will be tough as we welcome in Detroit and Chicago who both sit above us in the standings. Chicago now owns an 11.5 game lead in the FA and it looks like the rest of the season is a mere formality. Pittsburgh is fighting hard, but I can’t see them catching the Chiefs. Bill Jenkins and Del Roberson return from the injured list which will prompt some moves organization wide. The road has reached the end for lefty SP Sam Thompson as he will be released to make room for Ken Murphy’s demotion to Denver as he has not been good this year since he returned from the IL. As for Roberson we decided to move on from him as well.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #30
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #19

Boston vs. Detroit: August 13-16, 1928
In his first start off of his second IL stint, Bill Jenkins was really solid in his start against the Dynamos. Jenkins went all nine and gave up two earned while striking out five hitters. Boston only had eight hits but they took advantage of three Detroit errors to score a few unearned runs and get the win. 2B Paul McLain with two hits and a pair of RBI’s for the Minutemen. 5-2 Win. (60-57)

Boston starter Dick Alexander did pitch his best game of the season but it was good enough to keep the club in the game. The Minutemen offense hammered out 12 hits which was good enough for 6 runs which was good enough for their second straight win. Charlie Barry had a two run homer in the 3rd inning. It was his 15th of the season. 6-4 Win. (61-57)

For the second time this series the MInutemen took advantage to some shoddy Detroit defense to secure a victory. Down 4-2 going into the bottom of the 8th the Minutemen were able to put up a nice crooked number thanks to doubles by Homer Krajewski and Jake Duke. Ed Wise also chimed in with his second homer of the year during the same inning putting the Minutemen up for good. 7-4 Win. (62-57)

With the series win already secured Boston sent Ernie Henderson to the mound to try and secure a sweep. Henderson did not have a good outing as Dynamo hitters pummelled him for eight earned runs in 5.1 innings. The offense did not have a chance even with Jake Duke’s 4th homer of the year. 11-4 Loss. (62-58)

Boston vs. Chicago: August 17-18, 1928:
Chicago was more than happy to visit Boston as they have had their way with the Minutemen all season long. Currently the Minutemen have only beat the Chiefs one time in 15 attempts. Bill Jenkins would make it 2 in 16 as he didn’t allow an earned run over eight innings of work. Charlie Barry led the way with two hits and the team was able to overcome three defensive errors to take a game from the Chiefs. 4-2 Win. (63-58)

The Minutemen could not make it two in a row as the Chiefs were led by Joe Masters 4 hits and 5 RBI’s to even the series. Jack Holland pitched for the Minutemen and may still be having nightmares about Masters who connected for his 47th home run of the season off of him in the 8th inning. The loss dropped Holland’s record to 12-6 on the year. 6-4 Loss. (63-59)

GM’s Desk: August 20th, 1928:
We are 6-4 over our last 10 games and pushed our record to 4 games above .500. In the whole swing of things it may not mean much to keep on winning when the Association is decided but I take things personally. The “experts” predicted that we would only win 66 games this season and as of today we are at 63 wins. I just like to prove people wrong that think so little of us. After we finish up our series with Chicago we will welcome New York in for four games and then St. Louis. New York and St. Louis both sit below us in the standings so we are hoping to get some wins out of the week.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #31
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #20

Boston vs. Chicago: August 20, 1928
SP Dick Alexander could only give us 6.1 innings of work in his start against the Chiefs but the Minutemen still held the lead. Wilbur Laramee pitched in relief and it looked like Boston was going to secure the win. With only a single out to get Laramee decided to pitch to Joe Masters with a runner on. That was a bad decision as Masters hit his 48th homer of the season putting the Chiefs up for good. Tough loss for the boys in this one. 4-3 Loss (63-60)

Boston vs. New York: August 21-24, 1928
After the bad beat from the day before the Minutemen would welcome in the Gothams for a four-game series. The Minutemen wasted little time as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the 1st inning thanks in part to Charlie Barry’s 31st double of the season. Ray Allen was shaky but effective enough to keep the Minutemen in the contest. Three more runs in the 6th gave the club a 5-3 lead which Dode Jefferis was able to make good as he picked up his 14th save on the season. 6-4 Win. (64-60)

Game two was a pitcher's duel from two of the most unlikely of sources. For Boston Ernie Henderson has shown occasional signs of brilliance but we had not seen one in a while. For New York Bill Ketterman was 2-9 on the season and still getting his feet wet as a starting pitcher. Both pitchers were really good with Henderson just a touch better giving up a single earned run on four hits. The win put Henderson’s record at 11-16 on the year. 2-1 Win. (65-60)

SP Bill Jenkins gave the Minutemen another strong outing as he is once again looking more like the pitcher the organization feels that he is. Jenkins pitched a complete game giving up one earned while fanning eight New York hitters. Homer Krajewski and Paul McLain each had two hits and three RBI’s in the win. 7-1 Win. (66-60)

In the final game of the series the Minutemen needed extra innings to secure the win. Jack Holland was not especially sharp in this one and Dode Jefferis could not hold a one run lead. The offense however did not let the team down as they produced 7 runs on 11 hits. SS Carl Milam’s only hit of the afternoon was the game winner giving the Minutemen a four-game sweep at home. 7-6 Win. (67-60)

Boston vs. St. Louis: August 25, 1928:
Boston SP Dick Alexander was very effective in his complete game victory in the first game of the Minutemen's series against the Pioneers. Alexander did not allow a single run and the Pioneers could only manage six total hits against the 27 year old right hander. Dick Copeland paced the offense with 3 hits and 2 RBI’s as the Minutemen close out the week with their 5th consecutive win. 6-0 Win. (68-60)

GM’s Desk: August 27th, 1928:
5-1 for the week and eight games above .500. I am very pleased with how our team played all week long. We scored 6 or more runs in four out of six games and we even moved into 3rd place in the Association a game in a half behind Detroit. Of course we are 15 games back of Chicago, but that is not a team goal for us at this point. All we are trying to do is finish strong and build that foundation for next season. We are happy to announce that the Springfield Rifles have won the Middle Atlantic League crown. Some people feel that winning at the lower levels is not very important. That it is simply about development. I would agree but I think winning at the lower levels develops winners at the higher ones. So we are very excited organizationally at what the Rifles were able to accomplish. With only eight days left in the minor league season I look forward to doing a full breakdown of each team in a few weeks. We have definitely learned a lot observing their play over the course of the year. One thing is for certain though, with over 20 new additions joining the club through the draft, we will definitely be letting go a number of players from our current rosters.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #32
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #21

Boston vs. St. Louis: August 27-29, 1928
Ernie Henderson was looking to make it two successful starts in a row in the second game of the series against the Pioneers. It was not to be. St. Louis jumped on Henerson for four runs in the first inning and were able to hold on for a slim one run win. Carl Milam had two hits and three RBI’s in the loss. 7-6 Loss. (68-61)

In the third game of the series against the Pioneers, Boston hurler Ray Allen continued to make a strong impression with Minutemen brass. Allen has been the feel good story of the year for the Minutemen but he has had some struggles as well. Feel good story or not, the Minutemen have to make critical roster decisions for next season. Allen helped himself out today by supplying a complete game victory. Allen only gave up a single earned run and struck out four Pioneers in the process. Allen also provided three hits at the plate and raised his season average to .347. 4-1 Win. (69-61)

Big step back for Bll Jenkins in the series finale as the St. Louis bats had their way with the young righty. The Pioneers scored four runs in the first and another four in the fifth. To innings with crooked numbers usually leads to a loss. The Boston offense was able to produce ten hits but they were not very good with runners in scoring position in this one. 9-1 Loss. (69-62)

Boston @ PIttsburgh: August 30-September 1, 1928
Boston starter Jack Holland was the tough luck loser in the first game of the series against the Miners at Fitzpatrick Park. Pittsburgh hurler Hal Goodwin was able to hold the Boston offense to four lousy hits which was good enough for his club to gain victory. Charlie Barry led the Minutemen with two hits. 2-1 Loss. (69-63)

For the second straight game the Boston offense struggled as they could only manage five hits in their game against Pittsburgh. Boston SP Dick Alexander was nursing a 1-0 lead going into the bottom of the 7th when the Miners finally broke through for three runs. That would prove to be enough as the losing streak has grown to three games. 4-1 Loss. (69-64)

Enough was enough for the Boston offense as they came out swinging in the series finale against the Miners. Boston was able to score 12 runs on 16 hits and totally cover up the fact that Ernie Henderson was giving away hits like they were on clearance. Dick Copeland had three hits and three RBI’s and Bob Scholer added 2 RBI’s of his own with three hits. 12-8 Win. (70-64)

GM’s Desk: September 3rd, 1928:
Tough week. It dropped our August record to .500. For the season we have had 2 winning months, 2 losing months and 1 even month. We would really like to finish with a winning September and close the season out on a positive note. Other than three games this upcoming week against Pittsburgh we will spend the entire rest of the season on the road. I’m not all that upset by that since we are 34-26 on the road for the season. (We are 2 games under .500 at home) Today is the final day of the minor league season and we extended a number of personnel and we will begin final player evaluations this week. I personally get a lot of joy out of this aspect of the job. Yes, it is indescribably hard to release a player that most likely loves the game and is trying to provide for their family, but that is the business of baseball. Everyone is aware that we are trying to put the best possible team out on the field.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #33
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #22

Boston @ Philadelphia: September 3rd, 1928
Homer Krajewski hit his 9th home run of the year in game one of a double header against Philadelphia at Broad Street Park. The two run shot brought the Minutemen to within one but that was where they fell short. Bill Jenkins pitched 7 innings giving up 4 earned runs in the loss that dropped his record to 7-6 on the year. Charlie Barry and Paul McLain each had 3 hits each in the defeat. 5-4 Loss. (70-65)

Homer Krajewski’s hot bat got the Minutemen off and running in the second game of the double dip. Krajewski hit a 3 run homer in the 1st which gave the Minutemen a comfortable early lead. With 4 more runs in the 2nd inning it looked as if Boston would be in a good position to run away with the victory. Unfortunately, Ray Allen was not very sharp and the game was all even at 7 going into the 8th inning. In the 8th the Boston offense erupted for 6 runs putting the game out of reach as the Minutemen were able to split the quick series at a game each. 14-7 win. (71-65)

Boston vs. Pittsburgh: September 5-8, 1928
Boston would welcome in Pittsburgh for their final home stand of the season. In the first game Boston SP Dick Alexander was able to hold the Miners to two earned on eight hits giving the club a legitimate chance at victory. The Boston offense led by Alfred Cass’s 4 hits and 4 RBI’s sparked a team wide hitting frenzy that allowed Boston to score 12 runs and easily claim victory. 12-3 Win. (72-65)

Homer Krajewski’s hot bat paired with a strong outing by Ernie Henderson was enough for the Minutemen to take the second game of the series against Pittsburgh. Krajewski has 2 hits and 3 RBI’s but Paul McLain, Jake Duke and Carl Milam each had a pair of hits themselves. The win would give the Minutemen a chance at a winning home record if they could pull off the sweep tomorrow. 5-2 Win. (73-65)

In the final game of the series and the final home game of the seasonJack Holland gave the home fans a wonderful season send-off. Holland went all nine innings giving up two earned runs in the process. Homer Krajewski, Jake Duke and Joe Richards each had two hits and the Minutemen were able to hang on and beat the Miners by a run. The sweep would give the Minutemen a 39-38 record at home for the season. It was a great way to send the Boston faithful home happy. 3-2 Win. (74-65)

Boston @ Washington: September 9th, 1928
The first stop on the 15 game road trip would be in Washington to face the Eagles. The Minutemen sent Bill Jenkins to the mound with the hope of pushing the winning streak to four games. Boston scored first but the Eagles answered later. With a 4-3 lead going into the 9th Bill Jenkins only needed to get 3 more outs for the win. Well, he got two of them before Mike Walton hit a walk-off 3 run bomb off of him to end the game. 5-4 Loss. (74-66)

GM’s Desk: September 10th, 1928:
Tough way to lose that game yesterday. I know Jenkins and the rest of the guys like to finish the job everytime they pitch but maybe Jefferis would have been a better play in that situation. On another note. I’m really happy that we were able to sweep out Pittsburgh and earn a winning home record. Our fans are some of the best in the game and we really wanted to send them home on a high note for the season. We were absolutely brutal at home for a stretch of time so I am glad we could turn it around. I have been diligently working to finish my minor league evaluations. I should have those done for the owner later this afternoon.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #34
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #23

Boston @ Washington: September 10th, 1928
The Boston bats were able to score four runs in the first five innings but it was not nearly enough offense as the Eagles hammered Ray Allen pretty good in this one. Allen gave up seven earned in five innings and the Eagles were able to sweep the two-game series. It will be the last time that the two will meet for the season. The Minutemen finish with a 12-10 record against the Eagles for the year. 9-5 Loss. (74-67)

Boston @ Chicago: September 15-16, 1928
Thanks to a schedule anomaly the Minutemen had the next four days off as they waited to play the Chiefs in Chicago. Boston management decided to travel back to Boston to give the players a few extra days with the family before the series started. The rest did not work out as planned as the Chiefs knocked Ernie Henderson out of the game early in this one. Henderson gave up nine earned in 5.2 innings of work as his record dropped to 13-18 on the year. Not that it mattered since out offense could only produce five hits for the game. 9-1 Loss. (74-68)

For the third game in a row the Boston starting pitcher was chased from the game early. This time it was Bill Jenkins who was knocked around as he could not finish the fifth before reinforcements were needed. The difference however is that Chicago starter Lou Felkel had an uncharacteristic bad start and the Minutemen took advantage. Paul McLain and Jake Duke each had three hits and Dick Copeland had a pair to with his three RBI’s. Jake Duke’s solo shot in the eighth broke the tie and the Minutemen were able to snap a modest three game losing streak. 7-5 Win. (75-68)

GM’s Desk: September 17th, 1928:
Not much to report this week. That four day break in the schedule would have been nice if were in a pennant race. We could have re-ordered our lineups and attacked whoever we played with our best foot forward. We did that anyway, and it didn’t do a whole lot. Our owner Harry Cunningham put off our meeting to go over our minor league system. He has been busy which is understandable for a man in his position.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #35
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Class B Arlington Patriots Final Report

Arlington Patriots: Southeastern League (Class B)

Record: 69-71 (.493) 26.0 GB

The 1928 Patriots finished two games under the .500 mark good for fifth place in the Class B Southeastern League. This is the first organizational stop for many of our young prospects and for some it will also be their last stop. The jump from high school and college ball to Class B is a much bigger leap than many may realize. My plan with this level is to keep them young. I do not want to fill this level with guys in their mid-20’s trying to make a name for themselves against professional rookies. Ideally, I want players to age up to a higher level or out of our system in general by the time they hit 23 years of age. To do that I am going to have to make some critical decisions about players at an early age.

In general the team hit better than they pitched. In an eight team league we finished right in the middle in most of the important offensive categories. One area where we were league best was in base running efficiency. I’m very happy that our coaches are instilling proper base running techniques. The biggest team weakness we had this season was in the starting pitching and fielding departments. We were pretty bad in both. We are definitely going to need some more arms at this level that can get batters out.

Pitchers:
Our first two draft picks in Bobby Montefusco and Art Keeter are at this level. Montefusco was drafted by the former GM to be a #1 pitcher of the future in Boston. Art Keeter was drafted to also follow suit. Both guys struggled in the first their first year of pro ball and will take some more seasoning. Keeter was the better of the two draft picks so far. Art finished 16-10 with 73 strikeouts to 42 walks. He finished 3rd in the league in K/BB ratio. He also gave us over 200 innings. Not bad for a 19 year old. 20 year old Ed Hanson was another pitcher we have our eye on. Hanson struck out 99 batters but he also walked 90 so we are hoping he can clean up that walk number a bit going forward. Our relievers leave much to be desired. It really isn’t an organizational focal point as we are trying to develop starters first and foremost.

Catchers:
Bobby Gentry was our 7th round pick from a year ago and we can’t figure out why he fell so far. The first scout I had when I took over the club thought he was as a rock star. When I hired Karl Smith after the draft he was not as high on Gentry. He kept falling in the draft until it became apparent he was the best player left on our board. I drafted him and started him in Arlington. All he did was hit. In 274 at bats at Arlington he hit .339 with 61 RBI’s and with more walks than strikeouts. It was a pretty obvious move to graduate him out of Arlington, except we didn’t move him one level up. We went straight to AA with him. The catchers left behind were less than impressive so that may be an area of upgrade in the next draft.

First Base:
Dode Heinke and Bud Stout split time over the course of the year. Stout was our 5th rounder last draft and Heinke was a 12th rounder back in 1925 but is still younger than Stout. Heinke was the starter coming into the season. Heinke hit .312 with 4 homers and 19 doubles in 195 plate appearances. The problem is that his glove is not where we want it. So Stout started getting some action. Stout is very good with the glove but has not hit as well at Heinke, although that is not to say he hasn’t been productive. Just not as productive as Heinke. Either way. It is not a bad problem to have.

Second Base:
This conversation begins and ends with 20 year old Bob Arnold. Arnold can hit (All-time hits leader in the Southeastern League), he can run, but the glove has been an issue. At 20 years of age we are hoping that it comes around as the bat looks like it may play at the higher levels.

Third Base:
20 year old Mel Walton is a switch hitting 22nd round draft pick in the ‘26 draft. He couldn’t hit his weight last season (weighs 170/hit .160) but what a difference a year makes. Walton hit .314/14/100 and played some real nice defense at the hot corner. He is another infield candidate that may deserve a promotion.

Shortstop:
Our other Mel is 19 year old SS Mel Black who was another late pick (21st round) in the ‘26 draft. The average is a tad low but the power numbers are coming along. (12 homers this season) Black plays a solid SS and he may be ready for promotion mid way through next season.

Outfielders:
At the beginning of the season we had a pair of solid outfielders in Arlington. They were Mike Cifelli and Emil Gorski. In 80 games Cifelli was good for 106 hits, 21 of which were doubles, 6 were triples and 3 left the yard. He was an easy decision for a move to Springfield. Gorski however, was blocked by Chick Dyer so her stayed down and played left-field and hit .373 (5th best in the league) with 51 doubles and 14 triples. Gorski also has a solid glove. The idea would be for a promotion here. We are a bit heavy prospect wise in the outfield so we will need to be creative. We have one more guy to talk about in Ron Davis. We really do not have much room for him, but my scout raved about him when I was scouring the free agent list. He accepted a minor league deal and is 23 years old but we have to find some time for this kid for no other reason than to see how my scout is at evaluating talent.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #36
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Springfield Rifles (Class A) Final Season Report

Springfield Rifles: Middle Atlantic League (Class A)

Record: 90-50 (.643) League Champs!

The Rifles dominated the Middle Atlantic League in 1928 winning it by 14 games. They were 40 games over the .500 mark and we are hoping that many of our future Minutemen are on this roster. Some people may feel that winning in the minor leagues is not important, but I disagree. Players need to learn how to play as a team and they need to learn how to win together. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me to just focus on individual development and then tell guys to be a team player and learn how to win when they get to the top level. So we are very that the Rifles could make it back-to back in the MAL. (5 titles total in their history). On the field the team was top or near the top of the league in almost every offensive, defensive and baserunning category. It sure is fun to have such a team in our system.

Pitchers:
The Rifles staff was pretty tough to beat in ‘28. Here is more of a breakdown in list form:
SP Joe Dorsainvil: 24 years old,179.1 IP, 15-4 record, 60 K/42 BB, 1.81 ERA
SP Walter Slattery: 23 years old, 221.1 IP, 15-10 record, 120 K/93 BB, 3.86 ERA
SP/RP Ike Watson: 22 years old, 189.0 IP, 12-7 record, 71 K/64 BB, 3.19 ERA
SP Ray Smith: 24 years old, 108.0 IP, 10-2 record, 34 K/30 BB, 2.15 ERA
RP Sal Johnson: 21 years old: 41.2 IP, 4-4 record with 4 saves, 26 K/11 BB, 3.02 ERA
SP Harry Meek: 22 years old: 66.0 IP, 6-2 record, 25 K/9 BB, 2.73 ERA (stats from Arlington)

Dorsainvil was a 6th round pick in ‘25 and seems the most poised for a promotion. Slattery still needs to get the walks under control a bit, Watson was sneaky effective, Ray Smith was doing really well but then was injured and will miss a full calendar year and Harry Meek is the wild card. Meek was drafted by Detroit 14th overall in last years draft. He was released and we took a chance on hm. He dominated hitters in Class B so we moved him up to Springfield where we think he belongs to start the season next spring.

Catchers:
22 year old Hugie Fletcher a 22 year old undrafted minor league free agent has worked out for us behind the dish. When we were looking at promoting Gentry we thought hard about moving Fletcher to AA and have Gentry take his spot on the Rifles. We didn’t do that simply because we really though Gentry’s bat could play up another level so Fletcher stayed put. For the season, Fletcher hit an even .300 and played nice defense behind the dish. Fletcher split time with BIll Stone, but I think the job will be all his next season.

First Base:
24 year old Harry Smith was a real nice offensive weapon for us in ‘28. He hit .301 and was second on the team in doubles (35) and RBI’s (83). Smith will not turn 25 until next September so we can maybe keep him down for another year to work on the glove depending on a few things in AA. I think the bat can play up a level but I do not want him sitting the bench if he is blocked at the next level.

Second Base:
23 year old Ben Huffman led the Rifles with 16 home runs on the year. Huffman played average defense but what is most concerning to me is the average. Huffman only hit .241 on the season. While I love the power I don’t want to necessarily sacrifice that much average for it. If his contact could come along he has a chance to make a big league roster. Our scout thinks the contact will develop so I hope he is right.

Third Base:
24 year old Jim Porter is going to force his way into a AA lineup next season. Porter was one of our top players on the team. He plays excellent defense at the hot corner and hit 15 triples on the year. Porter has a solid eye as he walked 33 times while only striking out 14 times. As good as his season was he was underappreciated by some of his teammates that actually put up better numbers. Still, I can’t see how keep Porter off of a AA roster next season.

Shortstop:
I love good defensive shortstops. We have to be strong up the middle. Now if we can find one that can hit to go along with the defense then we really have something special. 21 year old Earl Michael is showing signs of being such a player. Michael was the clubs 1st round pick back in ‘24 and he has had a nice steady development curve since his first year in professional ball. To go along with his very solid glove Michael hit .307 with and OBP of .363. Michael also has a solid eye with a 45 B/31 K ratio. Earl will play his entire next season as a 21 year old as his birthday is in October. We may be able to get away with another season at Springfield but I’m hoping to see him play AA next season.

Outfielders:
Offensively, our outfield in Springfield was dangerous. We have a bunch of guys to list so we will do it like we did the pitchers:

LF Chick Dyer: 23 years old, .357 avg, 45 doubles, 9 triples, 14 homers, 87 RBI’s, 11 SB.
CF Gary Nichols: 26 years old, .322 average, 30 doubles, 12 triples, 91 Runs, 28 SB.
RF Ed Calvert: 22 years old, .283, 20 doubles, 30 runs
RF Mike Cifelli: 22 years old, .346 Avg in 257 PA’s after his call up from Arlington where he was very productive.

Dyer was a beast. Easily the best hitter on the team. He has a tremendous eye. He almost walked three times more than he struck out. His .411 OBP and .357 average were both league best. Dyer was the 7th overall pick in ‘25 and he is progressing very nicely. We are just waiting for the glove to make the final leap. We are looking at a jump to AAA next season with him.

Nichols is a product of outfield overflow in the organization. At 26 I want him out of single A ball. He was very productive this season and needs the challenge of a higher league.

Calvert was having a nice season and is a tremendous defensive asset in right field. Cifelli was just too good in Arlington that we had to make a move. This is a case where you would like to morph two players into one body.

In closing, there was a lot to like about this group. It will be interesting to see how it all fits together in the next few seasons.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #37
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #24

Boston @ Chicago: September 17-18, 1928
While Boston out hit the Chiefs they didn’t outscore them so and that is the name of the game. SS Carl Milam has continued his hot hitting lately and tallied three in the loss. Homer Krajewski also had a pair of hits but the story was the Chicago offense that scored four runs thanks to two home runs. Dick Alexander took the loss leaving his record at 13-7 for the year. 6-4 Loss. (75-69)

Ray Allen and Wilbur Laramee teamed up to deny Chicago starter Norm Austin his 20th win on the season. Allen provided seven shutout innings before turning the pitching duties over to Laramee who picked up right where Allen left off and kept the Chiefs off the board. The games lone run came off the bat of Charlie Barry who doubled in an RBI in the top of the 9th inning. It was Barry’s 92 RBI of the season and the eventual game winner. 1-0 Win. (76-69)

Boston @ St. Louis: September 20-22, 1928
Jack Holland could not provide back-to-back solid starts as both teams put on a slugfest at Pioneer Field. Both teams had 14 hits each but the unique thing for Boston was that they did not have a single extra base hit in the game. 14 singles is what they could accomplish. Charlie Barry had four of them and Jake Duke had three of them. That was not the case for St. Louis and their 14 hits. They had a pair of homers, a double and two triples. Those extra base hits would be the difference. 8-6 Loss. (76-70)

In his first start since finishing his rehab stint in Denver, Howdy Bowman pitched eight innings giving up three earned runs on ten hits. It was a lights out start by any standard but it allowed the Boston offense to stay in the game. Jake Duke and Carl Milam each had two hits and the offense was even able to string a few extra base hits together to even the series. 4-3 Win. (77-70)

With an extra day of rest the Minutemen sent Ernie Henderson in to finish off the season series against the Pioneers. The two teams would battle through nine complete with the score even at one. Henderson went out for the 10th and the Pioneers finally cracked through with a run scoring series winning single. The Minutemen ended up splitting the season series with St. Louis 11-11. 2-1 Loss. (77-71)

Boston @ New York: September 23rd, 1928
Next for the Minutemen was a trip to New York, BIll Jenkins was tabbed with the start and he was rocked for eight earned in 5.1 innings. It was not the start the club was looking for. Giving up that many that early made whatever the offense could do minimal at best. Catcher Alfred Cass did have two hits and three RBI’s in the loss. 11-4 Loss (77-72)

GM’s Desk: September 24th, 1928:
We have been 8-8 this September and I’m really looking to finish strong. We are one win shy of guaranteeing a winning record for the year. I would like to get to 80 wins though. That means we would have to win three of our next five. That will be a tall order as we travel to Detroit to finish the season. Congrats to both Chicago in the FA and Philadelphia in the CA as they will be meeting in the World Series. We continue to meet with ownership regarding our minor league analysis. Arlington and Springfield are in the books. We will get to Worcester and Denver as soon as Mr. Cunningham has the time to meet.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #38
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Week #25

Boston @ New York: September 24th, 1928
SP Dick Alexander was really good in his start against the Gothams in the last game of their season series. Alexander gave up a single earned run in his seven hit complete game victory. The win bumped his record to 14-7 on the season. Charlie Barry paced the Minutemen offense with a three hit performance. Bob Scholer added two hits and two RBI’s of his own. 2-1 Win. (78-72)

Boston @ Detroit: September 27-30, 1928
Following a two day break the Minutemen arrived in Detroit for their final series of the 1928 season. It was not a good showing in game one as Boston SP Ray Allen gave up a pair of runs in each of the first three innings. McLain and Scholer each contributed three hits each in the loss. 7-3 Loss (78-73)

Charlie Barry had a fantastic day at the plate going a perfect 5-5 with a his 40th double of the year being one of the hits. Two big three-run innings in the 3rd and the 6th allowed the Minutemen to snap the Detroit winning streak at four. Jack Holland was able to pick up victory number 14 on the season. Holland only went 6.1 innings but it was just enough as Verdo Burt was barely able to hang on to the lead. 8-5 Win. (79-73)

Boston decided to go with Howdy Bowman in place of Ernie Henderson in the second to last game of the season. Bowman was bad as he gave up seven earned on nine hits in just five innings. Dick Copeland and Bob Scholer each provided home runs for the Minutemen but it was not enough as the Dynamos were able to hang on and claim victory. 8-5 Loss. (79-74)

In the final game of the season Bill Jenkins was able to give the club a solid complete game performance and even his record at 8-8 on the year. Paul McLain, Dick Copeland and Charlie Barry each had two hits each as the Minutemen scored a run in the 8th and two in the 9th to secure a season ending victory. 5-3 Win. (80-74)

GM’s Desk: October 1st, 1928:
Well we made it to 80 wins and finished in third place in the FA. The Chiefs won the association and will take on a tough Philadelphia team in the World Series. Seems the smart money is on Philadelphia but I would not count out that Chicago offense. Lots of crazy things can happen in a pressure filled short series. I just have a gut feeling that the Chiefs will pull this one off somehow, someway. Charlie Barry finished the year with a fine .359 average which was good for 5th in the FA. He also finished in 7th in RBI’s with a team leading 95. In an association dominated by names like Masters, Kellogg, Vance and Hampton I feel like Charlie is often overlooked. As happy as I am to win 80 games we have a lot of work ahead of us. We are not at all equipped yet to make a run at Chicago. We need to continue to win in the draft which will be my sole focus after I have my final evaluation meetings with ownership.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #39
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Worcester Warriors (Class AA) Final Season Report

Worcester Warriors: Eastern Association (Class AA)

Record: 77-63 (.550) 3rd place 7.0 GB

Worcester finished a solid third in the eight team Eastern Association. Organizationally, we feel success at the AA is a good starting point for potential success at the highest level. By no means does AA success guarantee production in Boston but it offers a much more competitive atmosphere than single A ball which is still mostly filled with players playing professionally for the first time. The AA guys have already proven a little something so you get a much better look at future talent here. Finishing with a winning record at this level is encouraging for us.

Pitchers:
Much like the Rifles staff, the Warriors staff was also pretty effective in ‘28. Here is more of a breakdown in list form:
SP Joe Hogue: 23 years old, 236.1 IP, 17-8 record, 86 K/61 BB, 2.82 ERA
SP Bugs Donna: 23 years old, 181.1 IP, 12-10 record, 49 K/38 BB, 3.23 ERA
CL Jim Mattox: 27 years old, 194.1 IP, 15-7, record with 17 saves, 41 K/54 BB, 2.73 ERA
SP Gerald Samuelson: 27 years old, 167.1 IP, 9-12 record with 4 saves, 31 K/28 BB, 2.96 ERA

Hogue started the season at Springfield and went 4-1 which earned him his promotion. He was the best pitcher on the Warriors staff and will make the jump to Denver next season I think. Bugs was also very solid. I could see him in Denver or starting another season at Worcester depending on what we do with the rotation in Denver. At 27 Mattox needs to be in AAA. I have too many young guys that need to spots and he is taking one of those. Same with Samuelson, too old to be at this level. Dom Bennett who is not listed is a 35 year old SP guy that was very effective but his age may force a release. Frank Taylor who was also unmentioned may be a victim of overzealous scouting. My initial scout loved him to pitch for Boston as a 19 year old. I thought starting him at AAA was a wiser choice. He was shelled and I quickly moved him to AA where he struggled as well. We may have burnt his development. Hopefully the right level next season can get him back on track. If not, lesson learned.

Catchers:
Bobby Gentry’s name had been often mentioned in our yearly reports. Worcester was his final home for the season and the young 19 year old did not disappoint. Gentry hit .336 in 33 games for the Warriors. He took over for 27 year old Jim Robinson who was having an okay year hitting .275 himself. It was just that Gentry is younger and his star is burning brighter. The challenge will be if we move him to Denver for next season or give him a full year at Worcester. I’m leaning at starting him in Worcester and promoting him if he gets off to a hot start.

First Base:
22 year old Bob Waller was the club’s 4th round pick back in ‘26. The lefty played 100 games for the Warriors at 1B and socked 16 homers and posted an eye popping .424 OBP which was tops in the association. His batting average was also tops in the league. In fact is on the short list for best hitters in the association. He has a few teammates that could actually join him on that list. Waller is ripe for a move to Denver next season.

Second Base:
24 year old Frank Hutchinson is a wizard with the glove at 2B. He can also provide some solid offense. Hutch was a 3rd rounder back in ‘24 and has done nothing but produce since turning pro. This was his 3rd season in Worcester and it will most likely be his last. His .306 average was good for 13 homers and a team leading 71 RBI’s. In 578 PA he only struck out 10 times. That is saying something.

Third Base:
22 year old Hooks Green manned the hot corner for the Warriors this season. Green was overshadowed by many of his teammates but he put up solid numbers going .294 with a .349 OBP with some plus defense. He is a guy that will most likely play another season at AA.

Shortstop:
Hal Adamson was drafted 11th overall in the 1922 draft straight out of high school. Adamson who is now 24 years old took some extra time to hit his stride. While his glove is solid his bat is still a struggle. With Earl Michael hot on his heels we are going to have a tough decision with Adamson real soon. Although the bat may not be ready I have an open spot in Denver that needs filling. I think I am just going to have to pull the trigger on it and hope for the best. I don’t want to stunt Michael and risk losing both.

Outfielders:
It is decision time in the Worcester outfield. CF Bobby Navires was both solid with the glove and the bat and at 27 year of age needs to be in AAA. To make that happen we are probably going to have to cut bait with some guys in Denver. I have too many guys in the low minors that need spots. I also have some guys that may have hit the crossroads of their professional careers.

Overall this group has a lot of promise but it will look entirely different next season.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #40
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Denver Plainsmen (Class AAA) Final Season Report

Denver Plainsmen: Century League (Class AAA)

Record: 43-97 (.307) 8th place 42.0 GB

Denver was flat out awful this season. AAA is a weird level. On one hand it holds guys that are right on the cusp of playing for the top team. Guys waiting for that opportunity whether it be through injury or a prolonged slump to show what they can do. While for others it is a holding tank for players that can’t cut it but are simply on the roster for depth. I think we had way more of the latter than the former on the Denver roster. This is the roster that needs the largest amount of turnover. Careers will probably soon be over. I have too many young guys ready to move up and some of these guys are just not ever going to help Boston win a game let alone a pennant. This should be a short analysis in terms of individual promising prospects.

Pitchers:
I only have two guys on the roster I could even consider talking about. The first is 26 year old Al Carroll. Carroll wasn’t as awful as his 5-17 record would indicate. He posted a 3.87 ERA struck out 64 hitters while only walking 37. He also gave the club 190.2 innings of work. He will definitely make the team for next year. The second guy is 27 year old Jay Williams. Williams, started in AA and pitched pretty well for the first month and a half so we moved him up to AAA. Water found its level for Williams in Denver. Hos 3.70 ERA in 165.1 innings wasn’t awful but he still has a long way to go to make the big club. My other starters in Charlie Tocco, Mike Clark and John Brown are really at the age/effectiveness fork in the road. Tocco for instance produced a 3.66 ERA but he is still walking too many hitters and at the age of 30, it may be time to give a younger guy an opportunity.

Catchers:
We definitely could use an upgrade here. I could cut Hedglin who is solid defensively but is 31 years old. That would allow me to have Red Rapp who is 26 years old play backup if I want to bring up Gentry from AA.

First Base:
Another area where we could use the upgrade. This could be a nice spot for Waller. Cantrell who played 1B for the Plainsmen last year could serve as a backup or he could be on the chopping block as he is 35 years old.

Second Base:
This is the one spot where we actually have a name we can talk about. 23 year old Carl Carr was the Minutemen’s 1st round pick back in ‘23. He has bounced around in his professional career through the system. Last season he finally showed some significant development. He can play both 2B and 1B at a high level and the bat has finally come around. Carr hit .283 with 15 triples and 11 stolen bases. He has shown a good eye at the plate drawing more walks than strikeouts. In 494 plate appearances Carr struck out a total of 27 times. Carr feels like he should be playing in Boston, I think I may have a spot for him.

Third Base:
This is a position that could use an upgrade. There is no player of note that has solidified a starting spot at 3rd next season.

Shortstop:
Since our SS retired at seasons end it is safe to say that there is an opening at this position for next season.

Outfielders:
Al Diaz, Junior Marrero and Les Galloway were not terrible but they are Boston depth guys creeping on 30 or already past it. We need to infuse some prospects into this bunch.

Like I said, not much to talk about at this level. I expect next year to be a different story as we will have some guys graduate up to this level.