Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2016 > MLBM 2016 - General Discussions

MLBM 2016 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2016, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

Old 01-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
wodi
All Star Reserve

Starters v. Relievers

I've posted this topic a million times and I will keep posting it.

I understand the notion that relievers are all failed starters to a degree. I understand that players like Mariano Rivera, John smoltz, Andrew Miller, were all starters who became relievers.

But, the logic in this game just needs to be fixed. Relief pitching is a role and a niche. This game just treats the bullpen as a place for starters to go when they get old. You never see hall of fame pitchers at he end of their careers just move to the bullpen, they just retire when they can't be starters anymore. This game has always just said ok, you can't start anymore, maybe you can close (at 42 years old).

Drives me crazy. Maybe I'm the only one. But I wish there was a little more logic built into the game, where pitchers developed into their position, not just were able to teeter between starting and relieving or closing.

wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
daves
Hall Of Famer

How do you convert a MR to a Starter? How long doe sit take for his stamina to improve?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
How do you convert a MR to a Starter? How long doe sit take for his stamina to improve?

The way the AI uses relievers is to, for the most part, just use starting pitchers, so those pitchers will be able to be a middle reliever and then be a starter at any time.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
wodi
All Star Reserve

Another example...
Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
You can't without cheating. Sometimes it just happens, but you can't control it. (You can use the editor, but I consider that cheating.)

Tap the MR to view, then tap View > Editor. Increase stamina and add extra pitches if necessary, and voila! He's a starter. That's why I consider it cheating.

I once had a MR who complained that he wasn't being used right, and when I went to look at him, he had taught himself a third pitch and had improved his stamina enough to be a starter. Wound up in the HOF. Very, very rare, though.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

The issue is more that the players are willing to do this. This is actually a smart move by teams, but career starters typically would rather retire than move to the bullpen. Obviously there have been real life examples like the above such as John Smoltz.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote