Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 12-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #21
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2019 Winter Meetings Day One

Two things were pretty clear in the first hours of day one. Brandon Lowe can land us something sweet. And b.) I want a groundball pitcher for Odor, and preferably one that does not earn big money.

Without much fuss, we managed to negotiate a deal with the Cardinals that would land us Carlos Martinez(28, 3.5*) for Lowe and Odor straight up. Problem with that deal, and I totally agree with John here... "Martinez got worse every year, 3.04ERA, 3.64ERA, 4.03ERA, 4.18ERA and the big years of his contract are coming up. He won't become better in our ballpark, and he will be on the level of our prospects by 2021."

I told Michael Girsch, GM of the Cards, that I will consider this deal, but may be looking to make a completely different move soon, and he acknowledged that for him, moving Martinez wasn't their main priority.

So, I went to another NL team starting with an S... the San Francisco Giants and GM Bobby Evans. Evans dragged the aging core of the team to another 92 win season, and therefore was challenged to make some Win Now! deals by his owner... guess he wished he hadn't won so many games right now. And therefore, I will try to rob him of his pants... and RHSP Cory Taylor.

Taylor was an uninspiring 8th round selection in the 2015 draft but developed a HARD sinker combined with a curveball, slider and changeup and loads of groundballs. He made his debut late this year and went 5-1 with a 2.65ERA and 54K in 51 innings. And Evans was willing to talk... in a way.

"Odor for Taylor is a rip off!" - "You need a second baseman, and one with pop is even better." - "And Odor and Justin Williams is even a better deal..." - "No way...." The negotiations could've ended here as Evans had little budget to spare right now, and I was not willing to give up Williams... but then, I had an idea...

"How about I give you a bullpen arm? Claudio is off the table, but, ignoring salary, who would make this deal work..." - "You eat Kela's salary for next year, and we have a deal." Sometimes, you just need to know your opponent's weaknesses. We drew up the paperwork right away... before he could reconsider...

December 12th – The Rangers and Giants agreed to a big trade that will sent 2B Rougned Odor(25, 3*) and RHRP Keone Kela(26, 4*) to the Giants in exchange for RHSP Cory Taylor(25, 2.5/3.5* HS, 2.5/4.5* OSA).

In Other News:
December 12th – A lot of minor deals, but at least, a couple of seasoned veterans have signed. RHSP Justin Verlander(36, 3*) signed for 3y/$23.9M with the Angels, and LHSP Gio Gonzalez(34, 3*) put his signature on a 4y/$46.7M contract with the Yankees.
Griever20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #22
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2019 Winter Meetings Day Two

"Now, we have a Keone Kela sized hole in our bullpen, and I'm not even sure if I agree with the Odor trade...," John whispered in my ear as we entered the Convention Center for day two. For those that do not realize, Mozeliak is my classic baseball voice and with the Kela problem, he is right.

"Yes, and the Diamondbacks have a Keone Kela sized right-hander in Frankie Montas for sale that throws 100 on the gun, had a bad year between rotation and pen, and could be a dynamite reliever making $545k next year. Sorry John, I already talked with Mike Hazen about that one while you were talking with the Cardinals brass." - "So, this is where we are heading first?"- "You bet it is, Hazen is around $25M in the red for his budget according to our financial department, he would sell us his sister if that shaves $545k off the payroll, and he does not like Montas."

December 13th – In a quickly orchestrated deal, the Rangers sent 2B Brandon Lowe(25, 0.5/1.5*) to the Diamondbacks for RHRP Frankie Montas(26, 4/4.5*). Montas started 20 games last season for them and posted a 4-7 record with a 5.22ERA and 139 strikeouts in 112 games. The Rangers intend to use him as a reliever exclusively.

In Other News:
December 13th – The Yankees resigned their star shortstop Didi Gregorius(29, 3*) for four years, and $54.9M. The 2019 AL All-Star stated that "this was the best deal on the table, and I'm happy to stay here in New York.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #23
Joshrapley
Minors (Single A)

So glad to see a new dynasty from you! I will be following this intently.

In my experience with Royce Lewis, he always turns out to be an amazing 2B prospect than SS. Obviously he can play both but I have never seen him develop into an elite defender at SS.

Is your plan still to keep developing him there? He is an absolute steal for you either way and one of my favourite players on the game!
Joshrapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #24
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrapley View Post
So glad to see a new dynasty from you! I will be following this intently.

In my experience with Royce Lewis, he always turns out to be an amazing 2B prospect than SS. Obviously he can play both but I have never seen him develop into an elite defender at SS.

Is your plan still to keep developing him there? He is an absolute steal for you either way and one of my favourite players on the game!
For now, I will keep him there, but I may be willing to reevaluate him when Castellanos and Chris Seise are both up and running. Long term, I want the best possible double play combo up the middle out of those three, and a rotation of neutral & groundball pitchers.

Also, at this stage of his career, I want Lewis to concentrate on his hitting and as he was mostly played as shortstop in the minors, he will stay there just so that he is comfortable in the field.

Thanks for following along!

PS: Also, I hope that the monthly updates are fun to read. They suit my playstyle a lot more than the weekly updates with every single game featured... and I don't want to force things anymore.

Last edited by Griever20; 12-09-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #25
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2019 Winter Meetings Day Three & Four

It was two quiet days around the Convention Center, no trades, no big signings, we were still waiting for Trevor Rosenthal to get his *** up and sign our offer sheet, Odor was gone, we got another starter... time for some bargain hunting... and eventually, were knee deep in trade negotiations with Brian Cashman.

I really respect this guy, GM for the Yankees for more than a decade, and bringer of a lot of talent and success for them. And I wanted one thing in particular: LHP Justus Sheffield. 9-8 with a 3.46ERA in 23 starts in 2019 in AAA, he was the #36 prospect in 2018 but fell off the cliff a little bit. I see a potential starter or strong lefty reliever in him.

And with all the trades, we have a surplus if AAAA starters. Enter RHSP Alex Lange(24, 1.5*) who we got from the Cubs earlier and whose changeup ratings were slashed below starter level... and RHSP Kyle Cody(25, 1.5*) who we may lose in the Rule V draft anyways... and Cashman was biting... but I wanted more...

"With Sanchez and Deglan, you are set behind the plate for years, and I need a bit more for two guys that can be MLB starters next year. Raymond Torres." - "Our second rounder for those two, plus Sheffield... nope.... I need more."

"Ok, forget Cody for a second, name me two prospects that would make you happy here." - "Seise and Allan?" - "If you give me Severino as well for that..." - "HAHAHA good one, ok, two names that are reasonable... I like Palacios and I like Vanasco."

Wow. Richie Palacios was our third rounder in 2018 and hit .311 in A+ this year... and Ricky Vanasco is a 21-year right-hander that posted a 5.78ERA in A+ and a 4.10ERA in AA, mostly in the bullpen. 15th rounder in 2017, not enough stamina for my liking, little potential...

"It's a yes on Vanasco, but Palacios... How about Michael Wilson. He is eagerly similar to Palacios, was great value as a 12th rounder, and hit .276 with good defense in single A?" - "He will do."

December 15th – The Rangers and Yankees agreed to a deal that will sent #91 prospect SP Alex Lange(24, 1.5*), A 2B Michael Wilson(21, 0.5*) and AA RHSP Ricky Vanasco(21, 0.5/2*) to New York for #175 prospect LHRP Justus Sheffield(23, 2.5/3*) and prospect C Raymond Torres(19, 0.5/4*). Both sides are very happy with the trade.

I am, because we sent a throwaway 2B and two pitching prospects with major flaws away for a good lefty that would be our only lefty starter, and a hot(?) catching prospect.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #26
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2020 Pre Spring News

Transactions:
December 18th – LHP Thomas Szapucki(23, 1.5/3*) was put on the 40-man to protect him in the Rule V draft. We have two slots left with 2B Jorge Castellanos, IF prospect Chris Seise and RHRP Trevor Rosenthal as prime candidates.

December 19th – The Rule V draft was held today... we did not take anyone, we did not lose anyone.

December 26th – We unpacked RHRP Trevor Rosenthal(29, 4*) today as the 2015 NL All-Star signed his 4y/$11.6M contract.

January 1st – I woke up with a big headache from drinking too much cola-rum... and decided that we need a better backup outfielder than Carlos Tocci.

January 10th – After several rounds of negotiation, the Rangers receive CF Ricky Eusebio(26, 2/2.5*) and $2M in cash from the Twins in exchange for SP David Paulino(25, 2*), OF Carlos Tocci(24, 1*) and two minor league pitchers.

February 13th – All celebrate an extension. RF Justin Williams(24, 3*) will hang around for a while longer as he signed a 7y/$54.14M contract extension with a team option for 2027, kicking in after the 2020 season.

In Other News:
December 18th – SS Xander Bogaerts(27, 3.5*) signed a 7y/$88.8M offer sheet from the White Sox. He is a 2x Silver Slugger and 1x All-Star.

December 24th – Merry Christmas. LHSP Chris Sale(30, 4.5*) signed a 6y/$154.8M contract with the Blue Jays today. The 7x All-Star is very excited to play together with their young stars.

December 26th – The Marlins splashed out some cash as they signed 1B Justin Smoak(33, 3*) for 5y/$16.6M. He won the AL Gold Glove in 2018 and was an All-Star in 2017.

December 28th – Japan's pride, 1B/3B Tadatoshi Tada(26, 4*) signed with the New York Mets today. The 26-year old will earn $116.6M over 6 years.

December 31st – The Nationals got a new second baseman as DJ LeMahieu(31, 3*) will join them for the next six years, earning $7.7M p.a. He is a 2x All-Star and 2x Gold Glover.

January 3rd – The Royals grabbed the biggest starter left out there today, signing RHSP Alfredo Mariscal(30, 4*) for 6y/$97.1M. Given that Mariscal never pitched at the major league level, this contract is quite a risk.

January 22nd – SS Derek Jeter was voted into the Hall of Fame as First Ballot selection with 92.7% today. The 5x Gold Glover, 1996 AL RotY, 5x Silver Slugger and 14x All-Star was a career .310/.377/.440 260HR 1311RBI 3465H hitter in 2747 games, amassing 79.8WAR.

January 22nd – In his second try, 1B Todd Helton made the Hall of Fame with 78.5% of the voters voting for him. The 5x All-Star, 3x Gold Glover and 4x Silver Slugger was a career .316/414/539 369HR 1406RBI 2519 hitter in 2247 games, amassing 63.6WAR.

January 22nd – It took him seven years and a lot of PED discussion but SP Mike Mussina finally collected 78.2% of the votes this year. The righty, 7x Gold Glover and 5x All-Star was 270-153 3.68 2813K in 3562.2IP and 537 games for his career, amassing 81.4WAR.

January 22nd – For even more PED discussions, LF Barry Bonds was voted in with 77.2% of votes. Batting .298/.444/.607 762HR 1996RBIs 2935H 2986 games, he amassed 127WAR and won an insane amount of awards.

February 1st – The Dodgers waited a while but finally were able to announce the signing of 2013 NL MVP Andrew McCutchen(33, 3*) for 4y/$121M today. He also won a Gold Glove, four Silver Slugger Awards, and is a 6x All-Star.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #27
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2020 Spring Training Roster

Rangers Announce Spring Training Roster
stadiumreport.bbn
February 22nd, 2020

There is some excitement around camp this year again as the Rangers look to play more like they did last August, and hope that their offseason turned out to be a productive one. According to MLB America, they lost 3.2WAR in the process of the offseason, but GM Max Gerlach is still optimistic. "We have a bunch of young players at our disposal, improved our defense, and improved our pitching dramatically compared to a year ago," he told ESPN's Buster Olney on his Baseball Tonight Podcast last week.

Starting Pitching:
Albert Abreu(24, R), A.J. Alexy(21, R), Adbert Alzolay(24, R), Seranthony Dominguez(25, R), Ariel Jurado(24, R), Justus Sheffield(23, L), Thomas Szapucki(23, L), Cory Taylor(26, R), Jake J. Thompson(24, R)

Going into 2020, the Rangers have a lot of depth and decent talent, but still lack a #1 upside arm here. Cory Taylor is a nice addition, but at 26, how much will he develop here. Adding a decent lefty in Sheffield could help out tremendously, but the 23-year old also is a flyball-oriented pitcher, something that does not bode that well in Texas.

Prediction: Taylor, Thompson, Sheffield, Alzolay, Abreu + someone.

Relief Pitching:
Jake Brentz(25,L), Kevin Chapman(32,LR), Victor R. Diaz(25, R), Brady M. Feigl(29, L), Riley Ferrell(26, R), Aaron Loup(32, L), Frankie Montas(26, R), Gerson Moreno(24, R), Trevor Rosenthal(29, R), Trey Wingenter(25, R), Tony Zych(29, R), CL Alex Claudio(28, L)

Another area that looks stronger than last year... if Montas is going to be as good as the front office hopes. Rosenthal should be a great addition if he can live with being a setup man, and there are some additional lefty options now with Jake Brentz in the mix.

Catcher:
Danny Jansen(24, R), Josh Morgan(24, R), Matt Whatley(24, R)

Danny Jansen hit .349 in 20 games after the trade deadline and should be on the inside track as the everyday catcher, and with a defensive oriented mind, Matt Whatley is the likely candidate for the #2 sport. Solid.

Infield:
1B Bobby Bradley(23, L), 1B/OF Willie Calhoun(25, L), 2B Jorge Castellanos(23, R), IF Chris Seise(21, R), 3B Joey Gallo(26, L), 3B Anderson A. Tejeda(21, R), SS Thairo Estrada(23, R), SS Royce Lewis(20, R)

The post-Odor era has begun in Texas and according to Joe Girardi, it will be a straight-up fight between Jorge Castellanos and Chris Seise with Castellanos having the advantage of a.) becoming a free agent if not on the 40-man by May, and b.) Chris Seise being a newcomer to second base, and only 21.

Bobby Bradley will get an extended look again this season after struggling with batting average last year, while 3B and SS are set with Gallo and Lewis on long-term deals.

Outfield:
LF Billy McKinney(25, L), CF Cole Brannen(21, R), CF Julio Pablo Martinez(22, L), CF Ricky Eusebio(26, R), RF Daniel Johnson Jr.(24, L), RF Nomar Mazara(24, L), RF/LF Yanio Perez(24, R), RF Justin Williams(24, L)

Basically the same group as last year. Billy McKinney picked up pace with the bat late last year and won a precious Gold Glove, Julio Pablo Martinez produced triples like they were going out of style, and Mazara and Williams did a lot of work with the bat.

New addition Ricky Eusebio is the likely backup for now as he is a right-handed hitter with good defense, and Cole Brannen will get a little free sniff at the MLB level, but is not expected to make the 40-man, let alone the Opening Day Roster.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #28
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

Wow now that is a young group of guys. I don’t see anyone of the everyday players even near 30 let alone over. Average SP is like 23.5. Hopefully a big year of growing up fast is in order here
DD Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #29
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Martin View Post
Wow now that is a young group of guys. I don’t see anyone of the everyday players even near 30 let alone over. Average SP is like 23.5. Hopefully a big year of growing up fast is in order here
That would be the dream scenario, although beating the bloody Astros will be a hard ask. Best case would be making the Wild Card game, gain some attendance and excitement, and then enter the 2020/21 offseason with $40M-$50M to spend and sign a big pitcher for that... of course we still have Samardzija and Choo on the payroll for this season.

What excites me about the rotation is the fact that we have depth, albeit still on a low level of current ability. But, once one or two show signs of really making the jump, this group should be good enough to keep us in every game so that our offense can win it. ..

Bobby Bradley will be a key to that area. If the rest of the bunch performs like last year, and Bradley becomes a .260-30-100 hitter, we can be top 5 in the offense in the AL.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #30
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2020 Opening Day Roster!

Injury Free Rangers Announce Opening Day Roster
stadiumreport.bbn
April 1st, 2020

"Trimming down the roster to 25 was a hard task this year, especially with all the good, young pitching at our disposal," Max Gerlach told us on the press conference where they announced the Opening Day roster.

One victim could be a veteran here as LHRP Aaron Loup was waived and designated for assignment, however, this may not be permanent. "Likely scenario, if Loup does not get claimed, Jake Brentz may just eat the bullet and will get optioned down to AAA," an insider told us yesterday.

Without further chatter:

Your 2020 Texas Rangers:

Starting Pitching:

RHSP Albert Abreu(24, 1.5/3*, $545k) 5-6 4.92 16GS 82.1IP 69K 1.0WAR // 5-6 4.92 16GS 82.1IP 69K 1.0WAR (career)
Had some strong opposition in Alexy and Jurado in spring, but impressed with a 1.80ERA and therefore will get a shot on the opening day roster. Control is his biggest issue as he had a 4.5BB/9 last year, and little is going to change about that according to most scouts, just the stuff may get a bit better over time. Acquired from NYY in 2018/19 offseason.

RHSP Adbert Alzolay(25, 1.5/2.5*, $545k) 4-4 3.99 50K 11G/10GS 56.1IP 0.9WAR // 4-4 3.99 50K 11G/10GS 56.1IP 0.9WAR (career)
The next relatively unproven starter that got his first cup of coffee last year. Featuring a mid 90's heater with a good curveball, a decent cutter, and a work-in-progress changeup, he will also struggle with walks and extra-base hits a bit but there is some untapped potential here. Acquired from CHC at the 2019 trade deadline.

LHSP Justus Sheffield(23, 2/2.5*, $545K) 1-0 3.00 20K 6G/2GS 21IP 0.4WAR // 1-0 3.00 20K 6G/2GS 21IP 0.4WAR (career)
Above average stuff, low 90's heater, slider, and changeup, he needs to get some more control of his pitches, and some movement won't hurt... the story of this pitching staff. Another pretty unproven arm, Sheffield is the only lefty starter in this rotation. Acquired from NYY last offseason.

RHSP Jake J. Thompson(25, 2/3*, $545k) 7-10 5.71 112K 31GS 162.1IP 0.6WAR // 7-10 5.71 112K 31GS 162.1IP 0.6WAR (career)
The only starter that also was on the 2019 Opening Day roster, Thompson was a mixed bag... of **** last year and has not really developed a lot at the MLB level. Could still become a solid pitcher if he takes the step this season, and hopefully, our defensively more sound infield will help the groundball pitcher. Acquired from TBR in the 2018/19 offseason.

RHSP Cody Taylor(26, 2.5/3.5*, $545k) 5-1 2.65 54K 11G/9GS 51IP 1.7WAR // 5-1 2.65 54K 11G/9GS 51IP 1.7WAR (career)
Opening day starter and the big ticket this offseason. A groundball pitcher with a hard sinker and good breaking stuff, he needs to refine his curveball, movement, and control a little bit, but already is a solid arm that dominated in limited time with the Giants last year. Definitely an upgrade over last year's opening day starter Tyler Wagner. Acquired from SFG the last offseason.

Bullpen:

LHRP Jake Brentz(25, 2/2.5*, $545k) 1-3 4SV 5.56 9K 11.1IP (AA) // DNP (career)
This roster spot one is purely on scouting and coaching opinions, and Brentz may be down in AAA by the time the first series of 2020 is over. Loup is on waivers, and if he is not claimed, will refuse a demotion to AAA, and would be back up so... Anyways, Brentz should be able to hold his own with a strong fastball and a good curveball, but like most fireball relievers, lacks control. Claimed off waivers from STL in late 2019.

LHRP Kevin Chapman(32, 2.5*, $820k) 3-8 2SV 4.76 76K 72G 58.2IP 0.8WAR // 12-12 5SV 4.56 212K 207G 185.1IP 1.9WAR (career)
Uninspiring lefty that mostly relies on his very good slider, but lacks control and movement to become an elite reliever. Had a solid year in 2019 and picked up some slack late like the rest of the team. Relatively cheap with $820k. Claimed off waivers from MIL in early 2019.

RHRP Victor R. Diaz(25, 2.5/3*, $545k) 2-3 0SV 6.68 34K 32G 32.1IP 0.1WAR // 2-3 0SV 6.68 34K 32G 32.1IP 0.1WAR (career)
Diaz is another waiver claim that gets a shot with us here. Drafted as a starter, he still has three strong pitches at his disposal, a fastball(97-99 mph), a slider and a rare splitter, and he generates an above average amount of groundballs... good for him. There is some room for growth, even though he is a bit late for the party at almost 26-years of age. Claimed off waivers from CWS in late 2019.

RHRP Riley Ferrell(26, 3.5/4*, $545k) 6-1 1SV 3.83 99K 92G 91.2IP 1.5WAR // 8-1 2SV 3.71 156K 125G 135.2IP 2.3WAR (career)
Ferrell did a good job for us last year, but we overworked him quite a bit due to the fact that our rotation was horse****. Still, he held his own and posted a respectable ERA for a reliever pitching a lot at Globe Life Park. We are working to get the last bits of deception out of his slider, but he is already a top pitcher. Acquired from HOU in the 2018/19 offseason.

RHRP Frankie Montas(27, 4*, $545k) 4-7 0SV 5.22 139K 43G/23GS 112IP 0.2WAR // 5-10 0SV 5.55 195K 73G/22GS 159IP -0.4WAR (career)
An interesting arm for sure, Montas had a difficult time at his last three clubs and this may just be his last chance to start a career... and his chances are... well... he is an extreme flyball pitcher according to most scouts. The stuff is amazing, and we hope using him exclusively as a reliever instead of trying him out a 4IP starter like the other tetriple-digitp his mind. His triple digit fastball and his dirty slider could work out fine tho... Acquired from ARI in the last offseason.

RHRP Trevor Rosenthal(29, 4*, $2.6M) 4-1 0SV 3.65 62K 57G 49.1IP 0.2WAR // 15-25 121SV 3.08 497K 385G 374.1IP 6.9WAR (career)
Given the salary, this may just be a low risk, high reward signing in my opinion. A proven closer and 2015 NL All-Star, Rosenthal actually pushed for the closer's job with a 2.61ERA in spring. An extreme groundballer with 98-100 on the gun, only the control keeps him from being an absolute elite closer. Signed as a free agent last offseason.

LHRP Alex Claudio(28, 4*, $9.5M) 5-8 37SV 2.61 60K 72G 79.1IP 2.3WAR // 15-22 82SV 2.65 232K 283G/1GS 309.1IP 6.8WAR (career)
Texas want to rely on Claudio to give us another season of groundball magic to close out games. He does not throw hard at all, but the movement on his sinker and on his changeup is absolutely filthy.. and the ball also always lands where we want it to land. Got the benefit of the doubt over Rosenthal this spring. 2018 AL All-Star.

Catcher:

C Danny Jansen(24, 2/2.5*, $545k) .349/.414/.524 3HR 13RBI 20G 0.9WAR // .349/.414/.524 3HR 13RBI 22H 20G 0.9WAR (career)
A nice little pickup at the trade deadline in 2019, Jansen promptly injured himself, but still swung a hot bat when he was healthy. A decent defensive option that hit .320 at every minor league level, the Rangers just hope he will bat .270 to keep them in the plus column. Acquired from KCR at the 2019 trade deadline.

C Matt Whatley(24, 0.5/2*, $545k) .205/.269/.313 2HR 12RBI 25G -0.2WAR // .205/.269/.313 2HR 12RBI 17H 25G -0.2WAR (career)
Horrible hitter, decent defender. Enough said...

Infield:

1B Bobby Bradley(22,3*, $545k) .221/.286/.452 13HR 38RBI 56G/56GS -0.3WAR // .213/.271/.415 16HR 47RBI 64H 79G/77GS -0.9WAR (career)
Borrowed time. Bradley needs to perform this season as Willie Calhoun is waiting on the bench to get back out there and rake. 2019 was a lost season for Bradley due to injury, and while he showed some big power in September, he at least needs to get his OBP up to .330 to be a remotely valuable player in this day and age. Acquired from CLE in the 2018/19 offseason.

1B/LF Willie Calhoun(25, 1.5*, $545k) .306/.350/.486 17HR 77RBI 115G/104GS 1WAR // .306/.355/.476 2HR 92RBI 176H 167G 1.6WAR (career)
Calhoun had a great season after he was moved to first base, but the scouts keep on whispering... career year... career year... don't trust him. Truth is, Calhoun has a track record in majors and minors to hit .290 or above, and while his power and patience at the plate were at an all-time high last year, he is still a very useful first base/corner outfield utility guy at least.

2B Jorge Castellanos(23, 1/3*, $1M) DNP // DNP (career)
If Castellanos does not perform, Max Gerlach is going to be under pressure for sure. The Cuban defector hit .271/.390/.396 in spring but only stole 2 bases in the process. When fully developed, he should be a .280 hitter with a good amount of stolen bases, and could be a great double play partner for Lewis... but this is an IF.

3B Joey Gallo(26, 4*, $3.66M) .248/.346/.549 49HR 105RBI 16/19SB 158G/157GS 5.4WAR // .225/.340/.521 139HR 292RBI 390H 513G 11.2WAR (career)
Gallo set new career highs in batting average, slugging, home runs, RBI's, runs scored, and of course WAR last season, and signed an extension that will keep him around until the end of 2026 with 2027 being a team option. A popular dude in the clubhouse and with the fans, Gallo should be the main slugger for this team once again.

IF Thairo Estrada(24, 1/1.5*, $545k) .273/.327/.360 2HR 24RBI 74G/61GS -0.4WAR // .273/.327/.360 2HR 24RBI 74G/61GS -0.4WAR (career)
The 23-year old is a well-rounded defender, but the dream of him hitting for a decent average for his career may be exaggerated as most scouts slashed his contact ratings over the last season. Joe Girardi already announced that he won't return as the DH against LHP, so his playing time will be slashed down once more. Acquired from NYY in the 2018/19 offseason.

SS Royce Lewis(20, 2.5/4.5*, $8.81M) .242/.317/.347 8HR 47RBI 48/67SB 152G/150GS 1.7WAR // .242/.317/.347 8HR 47RBI 48/67SB 147H 152G/150GS 1.7WAR (career)
Royce Lewis is going into his second year at the MLB level, and already led the AL in stolen bases in 2019 with 48. He started hot but cooled down in the later stages of 2019, but still, his hitting has room for growth and many experts still think that he has the ceiling of being one of the best shortstops in the league. Acquired from MIN in the 2018/19 offseason.

Outfield:

LF Billy McKinney(25, 2.5/2.5*, $545k) .244/.318/.437 25HR 82RBI 157G/152GS 1.6WAR // .244/.318/.437 25HR 82RBI 142H 157G/152GS 1.6WAR (career)
McKinney certainly did not dominate, but still, 25 home runs, 1.6WAR and a Gold Glove in left mean that he got that job nailed down for 2020. His batting won't improve to a level where he also will compete for a Silver Slugger, but a .260 season with an OPS around .800 is in the cards for him in the future. Rule V draftee from NYY in 2018.

CF Julio Pablo Martinez(24, 2*, $545k) .260/.316/.394 11HR 64RBI 5/7SB 156G/156GS 0.9WAR // .256/.315/.402 18HR 89RBI 8/12SB 215H 236G/236GS 1.8WAR (career)
Playing his first full season, Martinez hit for a decent batting average, was first by a country mile in the triples leaderboard, and defended center field very fine. He will get some competition this year tho with Ricky Eusebio as the two will platoon this year, and while Martinez will get most of it, this may be a position where the Rangers could add a big player someday in the future.

OF Ricky Eusebio(26, 2/2.5*, $545k) .182/.270/.232 0HR 2RBI 9G/8GS -0.3WAR // .182/.270/.232 0HR 2RBI 6H 9G/8GS -0.3WAR (career)
Eusebio technically has won a World Series ring last year, but he still is hungry to become a more influential player on our roster. A great defender for all three outfield positions and a right-handed hitter that will platoon with Martinez, Martinez looks like a good pickup that helps with depth and production. Acquired from MIN in the last offseason

RF Nomar Mazara(24, 4/4.5*, $12M) .296/.373/.510 33HR 93RBI 161G/160GS 2.7WAR // .266/.335/.441 76HR 265RBI 484H 488G 4.4WAR (career)
Mazara repaid a lot of trust last year, batting just below .300 with 33 home runs, and with his permanent move to the DH slot, all his eyes will be on his hitting. Many scouts see a .300+ batting average for years to come in the future, as it is easy to forget that Mazara is only 24. Signed till the end of 2029, he is a cornerstone for Texas.

RF/DH Justin Williams(24, 3*, $545k) .301/.352/.523 20HR 69RBI 123G/117GS 1.8WAR // .301/.352/.523 20HR 69RBI 137H 123G/117GS 1.8WAR (career)
The big question last year was if Williams could turn his minor league performance into major league hitting, and the answer, for now, is yes. He will get a lot more exposure to left-handed pitching this year as the platoon at DH is off, and he is now the main right fielder, but if he is anywhere close to his 2019 numbers through 150 games, Williams will be a major contributor in 2020. Acquired from TBR in the 2018/19 offseason.

Preseason Prediction: 91-69, 2nd in AL West, first AL Wild Card team
With Nomar Mazara hitting .291-37-108 with an OPS of .910,
Justin Williams hitting -315/-352/-568 39HR and 124RBI's(how???).
I take this one with a grain of salt... with a whole salt mine, and aim for my owner's expectation, .500 ball.

We got some good talent into the rotation, improved our defense, added some small pieces to the lineup, and improved our challenged bullpen. But is that a 14 win swing?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #31
Tieran
Minors (Single A)

Why are you projected to play only 160 games?
Tieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #33
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Ok for some strange reason, two home games against the Athletics have gone missing... I'll add them to the schedule manually at the end of the season, and hope that I counted right...

I'll look to validate my steam files now, seems like some of the schedules are broken, had a 150 game schedule in a league that had 162 set as number of games on the weekend...

PS: Looking at the final table of the 2019 season, the A's and Mariners had the same issue as they only played 160 games that season...

Last edited by Griever20; 12-12-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #34
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Prospect Report: April 2nd, 2020

Confidential: Prospect Report, April 2nd, 2020

Okay Boss, here is my prospect report for the start of the 2020 season. Obviously, I have different opinions about players compared to Bob, but In order to compensate for that, I'll factor in some of the OSA ratings a bit more. Just so much, we dropped to 9th in the top system rankings, mostly due to players losing eligibility, but also because some players dropped out.

Greetings
Logan White
Scouting Director Texas Rangers

--

Pitching:

Close to the majors: AAA RHSP Pauly Milto(23, 1.5/2.5*), AAA RHSP Hans Crouse(21, 1.5/3*, #30 prospect(-8)), AA LHSP Thomas Szapucki(23, 0.5/2*), AA RHSP A.J. Alexy(21, 1.5/2*),

Others: R RHSP Matthew Allen(18, 0.5/1.5*, #5 prospect(-3)), R SP Justin Campbell(18, 0.5/2.5*)

Dropped out: none

I'll be honest. It was a mistake to start Matthew Allen in A ball last year and whoever made that decision(my assistant GM... good thing he retired), that was bad. Give him the time to work on himself in minor league camp and then in rookie ball, and let me reevaluate him in half a year. The OSA still has him as the #5 prospect and as a 4.5* potential guy, and Melvin liked him, so maybe, I'm wrong. But listen to me, don't move him out of rookie ball!!!

As for the others, I think Crouse developed nicely last season, but he is a guy I would keep around in AAA for one, maybe two seasons. We brought up a lot of raw starters... because they were 23, 24, 25 and it was time for them anyways, but Hans is 21... we can develop him in the minor leagues first.

Catcher:

Close to the majors: none

Others: A+ C Edgardo Rodriguez(18, 0.5/3*), R C Raymond Torres(19, 0.5/4.5*)

Dropped out: C David Garcia(19), C CJ Rodriguez(19)

Sorry, I'm not high on Garcia or CJ Rodriguez. Edgardo should be better suited to A+ ball, don't know what he was doing in AAA anyways... Torres is still very raw and needs another year of rookie ball, similar to Allen, but I see in him a great catching prospect nobody is talking about...

Infield:

Close to the majors: AAA 3B Anderson A. Tejeda(21, 0.5/2*), SS Chris Seise(20, 2/3.5*, #85 prospect(-17))

Others:AA 2B Richie Palacios(22, 0.5/3*), A+ 2B Derwin Barreto(19, 0.5/3*), A 2B Matt McLain(20, 0.5/3*)

Dropped out: 2B Tucupita Marcano(20), 1B Brayden Combs(20), SS Alvaro Gonzalez(19), A SS Luis Mota(18)

Anderson A. Tejeda is here because of former head scout ratings and OSA ratings, but I think he is a bust. Seise certainly is the exciting toy, and at age 21, we should develop him down in AAA, similar to Hans Crouse. Him batting .178 in Spring Training tells you he needs more time.

I'm not as high on McLain as Bobby was, and I rated down some of the 3* guys he saw late last year. Remember, an 18-19-year-old prospect with 3* potential at the MLB level could become anything from boom to bust...

Outfield:

Close to the majors: AAA CF Cole Brannen(21, 1.5/3*)

Others: R CF Tyler Williams(19, 0.5/3.5*)

Dropped out: RF Daniel Johnson Jr.(24), LF Cesar Ortega(18), CF Hunter Bishop(21), RF Raimfer Salinas(18),

Cole Brannen... let us develop him carefully, like the other guys, ok? I know that Daniel Johnson Jr. was one of the kids you hauled in in the first big offseason, but honestly, he is not going to make it. Too little, too late, and not enough talent. A lot of the guys Bobby liked... I don't, but our 2019 3rd rounder in Tyler Williams could be something... however, he needs to get his contact in order, walks won't cut it.

Overall... I hope I'm wrong on Matthew Allen because if I'm not, this farm system looks pretty thin...
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #35
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2020 April

Name:  2020 April.PNG
Views: 252
Size:  304.4 KB

Transactions:
April 4th – As expected, we had to demote LHRP Jake Brentz(25, 2/2.5*) to AAA in order to not have to release Aaron Loup... that two-year deal was a bad idea.

April 10th – RHRP Victor R. Diaz(25, 2.5/3*) was placed on the 10-day DL to make sure he does not aggravate some shoulder tendinitis suffered in a doubleheader game against Toronto. Ariel Jurado was brought up to the pen... and by the way, Rosenthal is also injured... stay tuned for the diagnosis...

April 11th – And there it is. Trevor Rosenthal(29, 4*) has a torn UCL and will require TJ surgery. He is out for the season, and we called up the hopeless body of Gerson Moreno(24, 2/3.5*) and his career 5.48ERA...

April 20th - Ariel Jurado and his 7.04ERA out of the bullpen were sent back down to AAA as Victor R. Diaz was eligible to come off the DL...

April 28th – LHSP Justus Sheffield(23, 2/2.5*) will miss a couple of starts as he was placed on the 10-day DL. He complained about a sore back after leaving a 7-2 loss to Houston and was prescribed day-to-day by the team doctors. He is 3-2 with a 4.20ERA in five starts. RHSP A.J. Alexy was recalled and will get a couple of starts.

Series:
2-2 vs LAA(Cody Taylor 7.1IP 1H 1ER 7K, Nomar Mazara 2-4 3R 7RBI BB 2HR(2))
3-1vs TOR
3-0 @ SEA(Bobby Bradley 2-4 2R 3RBI BB 2HR(4))
2-2 @ TBR
2-1 @ HOU
1-1 vs SEA(Nomar Mazara 2-4 2R 3RBI BB 2HR(8), Bobby Bradley 2-3 2R 2RBI BB 2HR(7))
3-0 vs BOS(Three extra inning wins...)
1-2 vs HOU

April: 17-9
Runs Scored: 155(1st)
Batting AVG: .256(7th)
OBP: .347(3rd)
Home Runs: 44(1st)
Stolen Bases: 28(1st)
Runs Against: 126(10th)
Starters ERA: 5.45(12th)
Bullpen ERA: 3.10(4th)
Defensive Eff.: .695(8th)

Whohoo... it's... not magic, but great offensive numbers by Williams, Mazara and Bobby Bradley in the middle of the order, and even Royce Lewis, batting only .248, stole 16 bases and scored 25 runs so far this season. Newcomer Jorge Castellanos started slow, .239-3-10 .749OPS with 3/4 stolen bases, but already amassed a +2.4 zone rating in 26 games... like it.

As for starting pitching, it is light and shadows. Cody Taylor got robbed of a couple of wins, pitching a one-hitter on Opening Day... just to see our bullpen allow 6 runs in the last two innings... suckers... Adzolay and Sheffield are doing fine, but Abreu has yet to go five innings, and Jake J. Thompson... may be a lost cause.

In general, we are still throwing pitchers on the wall and hope that one of them sticks, excluding Cody Taylor. Like, one or two guys that break that 2* current ability barrier and go above... truth is, the pitchers we got ARE relatively young... but compared to 'real' top prospects, are a couple of years late in their development... which is why we got them in the first place... With every day, the likelihood of the ceiling come crashing down rises and the likelihood of the current ability reaching the original ceiling drops.

Good news, our bullpen has been REALLY good even without Rosenthal and Gerson Moreno seems to have learned how to pitch as he is 2-0 with a 3.29ERA in 13.2IP... just what the doctor ordered.

At the end of the day, the pitching will decide where we land. The offense will cool down over the next 1-2 months, and then the rotation needs to pick up the slack if we want to really compete.... stay tuned.

AAA report: Hans Crouse has an ERA of 5.26, Chris Seise is batting .247, Cole Brannen .247. Yes, we really should give those guys some time, they are the only decent prospects in the higher minors, and they are young. 100% agree with Logan here.

Latest Top 100 Prospect Ranking:
R SP Matthew Allan #3(+2)
AAA SP Hans Crouse #31(-1)
AAA SS Chris Seise #62(+23)
AAA CF Cole Brannen #98(NEW)

Back to the #4 system...

Name:  2020 April pitch.PNG
Views: 263
Size:  148.0 KB
Name:  2020 April bat.PNG
Views: 242
Size:  176.8 KB

In Other News:
April 15th - Braves 1B Freddie Freeman(30, 4.5*) vented off some early season frustration with a 4-6 3R 5RBI BB 2DB HR performance in a 22-4 dubbing of the Nationals. Bryce Harper(27, 5*) also went 3-54R 2RBI 2BB HR against his former club.

April 16th - Indians SP Trevor Bauer(29, 3.5*) has put together a masterpiece today as he has no-hit the Athletics in a 6-0 victory, walking two and striking out 9. This was the first no-hitter in almost three years as the last one was thrown by Edinson Volquez on June 3, 2017.

April 17th - Astros 1B Lucas Duda(34, 2*) clobbered the Rangers today, going 3-4 3R 4RBI BB with three home runs in a 12-3 victory. The veteran first baseman is coming off a .208-32-76 .751OPS year with 160 starts.

April 17th - Marlins 2B Isan Diaz(23, 2/2.5*) had the biggest single game of his young MLB career today, going 3-4 4R 3RBI with three home runs in a 10-1 win over the Phillies. Part of the Yelich deal, he hit .268-9-29 .867OPS in 79 games last year, his rookie year.

April 19th - Mets SP Noah Syndergaard(27, 5*) 4-hit the Nationals today in a 6-0 win, walking none and striking out 11. The 27-year old won the NL Pitching Triple Crown last year, going 18-6 2.33 263K in 33 starts.

April 21th - Tigers 1B Miguel Cabrera(37, 2*) had a 2-4 day in a 5-0 loss to Cleveland today, but more importantly, collected career hit #3000 in that game. For the career, he is a .312/.389/.545 hitter with 526HR, 1814RBIs and 3000 hits in 2556 games. Also, he is an 8x Silver Slugger, 2x MVP and 12x All-Star.

April 27th - Rangers 1B Bobby Bradley(23, 2.5/3*) was named AL Player of the Week for batting 9-20 3HR and 8RBIs. The slugging youngster is batting .333-8-21 1.189OPS in 23 games so far.

April 27th - Nationals SP Michael Pineda(31, 3*) sparkled in a 5-hit shutout against the Phillies as he fanned 10 and walked two on the way to a 7-0 win. The veteran is 1-1 1.90 22K through 5 starts.

May 1st – Rangers 1B Bobby Bradley(23, 2.5/3*) was named AL Batter of the Month after batting .319 with 9 home runs, 26RBIs and 25 runs scored for the month.

May 1st – Dodgers 1B Cody Bellinger(24, 5*) was named NL Batter of the Month after batting .304 with 16 home runs, 36RBIs and 23 runs scored for the month.

May 1st – Indians SP Trevor Bauer(29, 3.5*) was named AL Pitcher of the Month after going 5-0 0.96 30K in 37.1IP.

May 1st – Cubs SP Jose Quintana(31, 4.5*) was named NL Pitcher of the Month after going 5-0 0.92 38K in 39IP.

May 1st – Red Sox SP Blake Givens(24, 1.5/2*) was named AL Rookie of the Month after going 4-1 2.93 17K in 27.2IP.

May 1st – Diamondbacks 1B Pavin Smith(24, 1.5/2.5*) was named NL Rookie of the Month after going .316 with 1 home runs, 17RBIs and 16 runs.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #36
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2020 May

Name:  2020 May.PNG
Views: 232
Size:  304.1 KB

Transactions:
May 6th – CF Julio Pablo Martinez(24, 1.5*) came up with some wrist soreness today and will be day-to-day for one week. He will be riding the pine for the week, as Ricky Eusebio will get most of the starts in center field.

May 9th – LHSP Justus Sheffield(23, 2/2.5*) was activated off the DL. RHSP A.J. Alexy was sent to the bullpen after going 1-0 with a 7.53ERA in two starts... as RHRP Victor R. Diaz(25, 2.5/3*) suffered from a hernated disc(back) in a 0-4 loss to the Cardinals and will go on the 10-day DL.

May 20th – RHRP Victor R. Diaz(25, 2.5/3*) was activated off the DL, and A.J. Alexy was sent down again.

May 29th – RHSP Jake J. Thompson(25, 2/3*) left an 8-2 win over the Twins early and visibly in pain... and he will be out for the season as he will need radial nerve decompression surgery for his elbow. He was 2-3 with a 4.67ERA and 46 strikeouts in 52 innings and had a 2.84ERA in May. He was placed on the 60-day DL, and after a night of discussion, we called up RHSP Seranthony Dominguez(25, 1.5/2.5*). He is 3-5 3.54 50K in 53.1IP in AAA, the best of the bunch...

Series:
0-3 @ BOS(They scored 29 runs in three games against us...)
2-1 @ TOR(Bobby Bradley 3-5 2R 4RBI BB 2HR(11), Nomar Mazara 3-4 3R 4RBI 2BB 2HR(12))
0-3 @ STL(We scored zero runs in the first two games...)
3-0 vs CIN
2-1 vs MIN(Jake J. Thompson 6IP 4H 0ER 4BB 7K W, Justus Sheffield 9IP 6H 1ER 2BB 5K W)
2-0 @ OAK
2-2 @ KCR
2-1 @ MIN(Bobby Bradley 2-4 2R 3RBI 2HR(16))
2-1 vs OAK(Justus Sheffield 7IP 3H 1ER 3BB 4K W)

May: 15-12
Runs Scored: 315(1st)
Batting AVG: .268(2nd)
OBP: .350(2nd)
Home Runs: 83(2nd)
Stolen Bases: 64(1st)
Runs Against: 258(10th)
Starters ERA: 5.31(11th)
Bullpen ERA: 3.42(4th)
Defensive Eff.: .698(6th)

The injury to Jake J. Thompson really stinks. Just this month, he went 1-1 with a 2.84ERA and 20 strikeouts in 26.2 innings and more importantly perhaps, everyone in the club agreed that he finally turned a corner in his development. The stuff looked a bit crisper, the groundball rate was up a tad up... and it really looked like he developed from being a faceless #4/#5 starter... into a reliable #3, exactly what we hope from our assortment of young arms.

As for Seranthony Dominguez, the 25-year old came over from the Phillies for a bag of marbles, or, a 22-year old flyball pitcher that did not have the stuff to become a reliever, or the stamina to stay as a starter... Dominguez has his own issues tho. He lacks quality on his third pitch, and his control is still a bit off... and he may just be a one-month stopgap when Alec Hansen comes off the DL and has finished a rehab assignment.

That still leaves us with Albert Abreu and Adbert Alzolay... the disaster that those two are. They will get the next t starts still, but if they suck, we will recall Ariel Jurado for one of them again... Anyways, Justus Sheffield has been sensational so far with a 3.10ERA, and Taylor has struggled mighty in May...

Did not matter that much as we still have the best offense in the American League. Mazara and Bradley are first and third in RBIs. Lewis and Mazara are first in runs scored, Mazara is second in batting average and OPS, and Lewis once again leads the AL in stolen bases... and the trio of Gallo, Mazara and Bradley are second to fourth in home runs.

That being said, the revelation of 2020 has been Bobby Bradley who showed that us trusting him was the right move. Another small thing, Jorge Castellanos hit .297-2-12 with 11/12SB in May and has been fielding well... with some mistakes, but I attribute that to him getting used to playing in the majors...

Now, all of that leaves us three games behind the bloody Astros, and in place for the first AL Wild Card. What we need now to bolster our chances... is a bona fide ace... and yes, I'm back at that point again. Preferably a groundball pitcher that has a decent track record and that has 'some' experience in the postseason... and yes, I've said that now for a million times...

There are only a few teams by June 1st that set their sights on rebuilding, and the best pitcher on those teams would be SP Jon Gray(28, 3.5*) who is struggling right now and is not a groundball pitcher by trait. And he would cost us Hans Crouse, our center fielder in Martinez, and another MLB asset as our prospects seem to have little value to them... but, they have value for me.

For now, we will sit out June, and maybe the middle of July until we decide on how to play this. If at all. By the next offseason, we will have $55M to play with free agents like Jose Quintana and James Paxton coming at us. Do I play the long game? Truth is, I still expect us to come down to earth, and then, an above average pitcher like Gray does not save us...

Name:  2020 May pitch.PNG
Views: 232
Size:  164.0 KB
Name:  2020 May bat.PNG
Views: 235
Size:  185.0 KB

In Other News:
May 3rd - Dodgers SS Corey Seager(26, 5*) saw a 21-game hitting streak end today in a 5-1 defeat to the Pirates. The reigning NL MvP is batting .325-8-23 .987OPS in 28 games.

May 7th – Red Sox 3B Rafael Devers(23, 5*) had to leave a 23-game hitting streak behind in Anaheim as he went 0-5 win a 7-6 loss to the Angels. The 2x Silver Slugger is batting .326-11-33 1.047OPS in 31 games.

May 13th – White Sox 3B Nicky Delmonico(27, 3*) has hit for the CYCLE today, beating the Red Sox 10-5 with a 4-4 2R 4RBI BB DB TP HR day. The 27-year old is off to a hot start, batting .339-11-31 1.141OPS in 35 games.

May 15th – Giants 2B Rougned Odor(26, 3.5*) was a perfect 5-5 with 6RBIS, 2 runs scored and a home run in a wild 8-9 loss to the Reds. The former Rangers star is batting .331-11-35 1.028OPS in 38 games...

May 15th – Rays 2B Christian Arroyo(24, 2.5*) also hit for the CYCLE today, going 4-5 2R 3RBI DB TP HR... in a 5-9 loss to the Angels. Once drafted by SFG years ago, he is batting .292-2-13 .749OPS in 32 games.

May 19th – Twins 3B Miguel Sano(27, 3.5*) hammered a trio of home runs into the bleachers in a 6-2 road win over the Tigers, going 3-4 3R 5RBI 3HR. The 2017 AL All-Star is batting .273-15-43 .893OPS in 41 games.

May 19th – Pirates SP Joe Musgrove(27, 3*) blanked the Reds 5-0 by throwing a 3-hitter with 2BB and 7 strikeouts. Tied for the most wins in 2019 with 18, he is 3-3 1.96 50K in 9 starts this year.

May 25th – The Blue Jays brought the big bats to the park today as they won 12-3 over the Red Sox and two young players impressed in that win. 2B Bo Bichette(22, 2/3.5*), the #11 prospect prior to the season, went 5-6 2R 2RBI with a stolen base and is hitting .294-8-27 .855OPS in 47 games, and C Reese McGuire(25, 2/2.5*) drove in EIGHT runs, going 4-5 R 8RBI BB DB HR.

May 27th - Brewers SP Zach Davies(27, 3.5*) threw a 3-hitter with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts in a 4-0 win over the Reds today. The 27-year old is 3-4 3.55 50K in 11 starts.

May 29th - Dodgers SS Corey Seager(26, 5*) promptly had started a new hitting streak... 21-games again but lost it today in a 5-3 loss to the Giants. The 26-year old is glowing white this season, batting .362-13-52 1.060OPS in 51 games.

May 31st - Yankees SP Gio Gonzalez(34, 3*) wrapped up an eventful month of May with a 9IP 3H 0ER 2BB 10K performance in a 5-0 win over the Indians. The 2x All-Star is 6-3 4.13 53K in 11 starts for his new team.

June 1st – White Sox 2B Yoan Moncada(25, 4*) was named AL Batter of the Month after batting .345 with 8 home runs, 18RBIs and 30 runs scored for the month.

June 1st – Dodgers SS Corey Seager(26, 5*) was named NL Batter of the Month after batting .379 with 7 home runs, 34RBIs and 23 runs scored for the month.

June 1st – Astros SP Jacob DeGrom(32, 3.5*) was named AL Pitcher of the Month after going 5-0 3.35 45K in 40.1IP.

June 1st – Pirates SP Joe Musgrove(27, 3*) was named NL Pitcher of the Month after going 3-1 1.23 41K in 44IP.

June 1st – Blue Jays 2B Bo Bichette(22, 2.5/4*) was named AL Rookie of the Month after batting .336 with 5 home runs, 15RBIs and 17 runs scored for the month.

June 1st – Brewers 2B Keston Hiura(24, 3*) was named NL Rookie of the Month after batting .325 with 2 home runs, 17RBIs and 15 runs scored for the month.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #37
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

2020 First Year Player Draft

2020 First-Year Player Draft

Our first draft with Logan White at the helm, we obviously still prepared well for this draft class despite all the trade ideas running through my mind and the lofty heights we are in record-wise. We will have the 13th pick in every round except the second one and will be very flexible in our strategy here...

Logan wasn't really fond of this draft pool, something I already got accustomed within my Brewers dynasty, and at pick 13, there were two players to choose from... a catcher and a shortstop... and we took the head scout recommendation here.

Round 1 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select C Patrick Bailey(21, 4* HS, 3.5* OSA) out of North Carlina State College(Raleigh, NC)
A switch-hitter with a good arm and some pop in his bat, Bailey also impressed scouts with his great work ethic throughout College as he not only did it on the baseball field but also during his studies. May need a bit of tutoring to get his shot-calling in order behind the plate, but was the best player available here. Wants the slot, $1.7M.

At pick two, a lot of good picks were already gone, and I overruled Logan here and went with another college guy.

Round 2 Pick 12: Texas Rangers select RHSP Jan Figueroa(20, 2.5* HS, 3* OSA) out of Florida International College(Miami, FL)
6'3'' with a fastball in the low 90's, a curveball and a changeup, he should be able to put on some weight and fastball velocity in our minor league system. He does not feature a great makeup, and the control is very iffy. But, there weren't a lot of players left that made Logan salivate. $550k, the slot.

Round three, Logan wanted a high school starter with iffy stamina... nope mate... I went for power instead.

Round 3 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select 1B Braedon Mooris(18, 3* HS, 2.5* OSA) out of Marcus High School(Flower Mound, TX)
Canadian slugger. Hit a blistering .443/.522/.991 with 15 home runs in 27 games against average competition in high school, and Logan has him at 70 out of 80 in home run power. He will cost us $1.7M, a good bit over the slot, and his contact skills may be a bit... questionable... .200 with 35 home runs could also be the result. And no, the name is not a typo...

Round 4 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select SS Sandy A. Richardson(18, 2.5* HS, 2* OSA) out of Miliani High School(HI)
Head scout recommendation. Good fielder in the infield with a decent bat. Not a lot of speed, but could be a good fifth infielder on anybody's roster. Wants the slot, $210k.

Round 5 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select RHSP Travis Hamrick(18, 1.5* HS, 2* OSA) out of Watauga High School(Boone, NC)
Our area scout said we need this changeup in our minor league system. Looking at some footage of him, the changeup is absolutely filthy. The rest is work in progress, but he is only 18.

Round 6 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select CF Mike Fusek(18, 1.5* HS, 1.5* OSA) out of Holyoke High School(CO)
Hit .451 with a 1.435OPS against average competition in high school. Probably more of a corner outfielder if he reaches the majors, there is some solid contact potential here and he has a talent to find the gaps with hard line drives.

Round 7 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select RHSP Joe Tinney(18, 1.5* HS, 2* OSA) out of New London High School(OH)
In 55.2 IP, he posted a 15.4K/9 rate, using a cutter, a curveball, and a knuckle curve effectively. We drafted him based off his stuff and will look to develop the rest.

Round 8 Pick 13: Texas Rangers select RHRP Dave Cornejo(18, 2.5* HS, 4.5* OSA) out of North Salem High School(Salem, OR)
Technically committed to college, but the righty is the second hottest reliever in this draft. In 16 games as a starter, he went 12-0 with a 0.30ERA and 232 strikeouts in 122 innings, averaging 17.1K/9 against average competition. He already has a 93-95mph fastball with a great curveball... I don't know if we can sign him, but we will try.

Obviously, this group is not quite as flashy as our 2019 draft, and drafting with Logan White always is a rollercoaster because he tends to underrate prospects and especially high school kids, and bumps them up as they progress through the minors... which makes drafting a challenge.

Hopefully, some of the college guys will be on the fast track to the majors and live up to their potential...

Last edited by Griever20; 12-30-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #38
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Trade Stuff...

The team is playing well. Too well for us to stand pat. And that meant that from the middle of June on, the phones were ringing. A pitcher, something I love to trade for...

The ace situation has not changed since the offseason. Those guys were either with contending teams, or the price was ridiculously high for a pitcher that had not quite the skillset that would suit our ballpark. Therefore, we aimed lower... the #3, low #2 range, like, Taylor in a nutshell.

The discussion went into the fourth hour. "I think we should go with Toronto. Stroman is a good arm, the better of the two going by the numbers, and the contract is decent with the money those guys will eat," John Mozeliak said for the eighth time this evening. Personally, I was unsure about this deal. Toronto is in the middle of nowhere right now.

They are in a strong division, have some pieces left, like Stroman, but their farm system has started to provide some gems, like Bo Bichette. Also, this would be a five-for-one deal. We would send Adbert Alzolay and four minor prospects, age range 22-18, to Toronto. Logan and the OSA do not really like those kids, but there could be a hidden gem here.

"It is a five-for-one deal. If Stroman blows out his arm in his second start, we gave up five bodies for nothing. I like the Detroit deal," Logan said for the ninth time. Of course, I briefly talked with Joe Girardi, and he said he would take either pitcher and that I should make the deal that makes the most sense from a GM perspective.

Michael Fulmer. Marcus Stroman. The later is rated a bit higher, has a 4.59ERA compared to Fulmer's 5.99 mark... and is two years older. Logan thinks, and Doug Brocail, our pitching coach agrees, that we can fix Fulmer and that a lot of that ERA is frustration in being locked up with a bad team. He is under contract until 2023, and the Tigers and Fulmer want out.

"And Detroit is willing to kick in the best prospect of all prospects in that deal," White added to his argument... and it is a valid one. Al Avila, their GM, wants budget room, and knows that Fulmer won't be around for their next window of contention... he wants budget room so badly that he is willing to part with the first overall pick of the 2018 draft, and the #60 prospect, RHSP Casey Mize.

The righty has not quite lived up to the first overall pick but is still rated favorably, and at age 23, is dominating A+ with a 2.49ERA in 15 starts. He would get a shot at AA or AAA for us right away, and with a year of development, he may join Hans Crouse as a top pitching prospect in the high minors...

Decision time is in two hours, I told the two GM's. By then, it will be either Stroman, or Fulmer and Mize for the same package. We have a bunch of extensions lined up for our core players as well. Get an additional arm in. Generate more excitement with extensions, get the fans into the ballpark. Have a surplus of money for the offseason and put the final pieces in place via free agency to REALLY push for a ring in 2021.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #39
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

I know his ERA is bloated but I like the Fulmer and Mize deal. You get two shots at a SP albeit one down the road, but if Fulmer blows, you could still get Mize in a year or two.
DD Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #40
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Martin View Post
I know his ERA is bloated but I like the Fulmer and Mize deal. You get two shots at a SP albeit one down the road, but if Fulmer blows, you could still get Mize in a year or two.
I will probably oversleep that one till tomorrow, but that Tigers deal is looking good. Personally, I think it is way too early to stop doing the trades with a high future value that make us better in the long run and start going for short-term value, which would be the Stroman deal.

As I said before, this league is really starving for high upside young pitching talent, and a Casey Mize actually is one of the best pitching prospects in A-ball and above.