Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
gem
Banned

Career Ending Injuries

Is there a way to get rid of them and just have season and a half long injuries instead? In historical leagues they make sense because at one time season ending injuries did exist. However with modern medicine I question if anything short of amputation or a terminal illness should warrant a CEI.

I just had a stud pitcher mess up his elbow over the off-season when he fell off a ladder and now his career is over.

Maybe that could happen but I'd rather it not. I know I can edit him and change it but is there a way to prevent it from even happening in the future? A setting to turn off CEI?
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

I don't think the game lets you specificy to that degree what type of injuries and length of injuries are allowed in the game...might be in the code to be honest.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Edit him back into play.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

career ending injuries need to be more dynamic....you just don't know the exact day your career is over after all
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
career ending injuries need to be more dynamic....you just don't know the exact day your career is over after all
yes this^

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

See I find that irrelevant. My internal storyline fills in the gaps and I can do baseball stuff instead.

Different strokes.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
21C
Minors (Triple A)

Yes, you can edit the injuries.txt file in the database folder. Mine is here in Windows 7:
C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 15\database

I have attached my edited file that I use to avoid CEI but it doesn't affect players that experience a setback. I still have to go in and edit that in game.

BTW the value that needs to be edited in the file is under the heading of Career Ending Possible Bool. Change the 1s to 0s. I keep a copy of the file in another folder since OOTP always overwrites it when updating.
Attached Files
File Type: txt injuries.txt (17.5 KB, 184 views)
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
21C
Minors (Triple A)

I believe the falling off the ladder injury comes under the heading of a Storyline. I usually disable these myself.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
diesel230
All Star Reserve

I always said while i enjoy having career ending injuries in the game, i find it very unrealistic that the player gets injured, its known his career is over and his team releases him all within a day. Like PSU said, the injuries should be more dynamic. I like when guys have setbacks with major injuries and over time, their career ends. But an outfielder diving for a ball, getting injured and retiring at the end of the day is very far fetched.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
gem
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Yes, you can edit the injuries.txt file in the database folder. Mine is here in Windows 7:
C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 15\database

I have attached my edited file that I use to avoid CEI but it doesn't affect players that experience a setback. I still have to go in and edit that in game.

BTW the value that needs to be edited in the file is under the heading of Career Ending Possible Bool. Change the 1s to 0s. I keep a copy of the file in another folder since OOTP always overwrites it when updating.
Thanks! So setbacks can still occur that cause a CEI?

I don't mind longterm injuries. I edited the SP in the op to a season long injury. I just don't like CEI. I know they can happen. Darryl Kile is an example. No coming back from that.

Still, that should be very rare.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem View Post
Is there a way to get rid of them and just have season and a half long injuries instead? In historical leagues they make sense because at one time season ending injuries did exist. However with modern medicine I question if anything short of amputation or a terminal illness should warrant a CEI.

I just had a stud pitcher mess up his elbow over the off-season when he fell off a ladder and now his career is over.

Maybe that could happen but I'd rather it not. I know I can edit him and change it but is there a way to prevent it from even happening in the future? A setting to turn off CEI?

Really? People in all sports have career ending injuries every year.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Might as well make career-ending injuries a setting that can be toggled. Either turn them off or leave them on, user's choice. Everyone wins.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdog View Post
Might as well make career-ending injuries a setting that can be toggled. Either turn them off or leave them on, user's choice. Everyone wins.
That would solve a lot of issues

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
moneyball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Usually on a Setback for Me

Most of the career ending injuries I've seen are on setbacks from an injury like this guy who I had high hopes after drafting him. 18/12/15 would have made for a great starter if he realized his potential.
Attached Images
Image Image 
"It's about getting things down to one number. Using the stats the way we read them, we'll find value in players that no one else can see. People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality. Bill James and mathematics cut straight through that. Billy, of the 20,000 notable players for us to consider, I believe that there is a championship team of twenty-five people that we can afford, because everyone else in baseball undervalues them."
moneyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem View Post
Thanks! So setbacks can still occur that cause a CEI?

I don't mind longterm injuries. I edited the SP in the op to a season long injury. I just don't like CEI. I know they can happen. Darryl Kile is an example. No coming back from that.

Still, that should be very rare.
See this. Injured in April done in September.
Attached Images

RichW

Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Hajew86
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
See this. Injured in April done in September.
Now if you dig even deeper was it the knee bruise and elbow tendinitis injuries that eventually caused the bigger problem of the torn labrum?? That's what I would call real life dynamics.
Hajew86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajew86 View Post
Now if you dig even deeper was it the knee bruise and elbow tendinitis injuries that eventually caused the bigger problem of the torn labrum?? That's what I would call real life dynamics.
Good point. Is there an accumulative effect? We do see the injury history change with time, so... ...

RichW

Old 12-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Attached is a replacement injury file someone made previously that does not allow for injuries longer than 2 weeks and for no CEI's at all. You can alter it in any way you wish or use it to learn how to alter any other injuries file in any way you wish. The file is located in the database directory of OOTP15.
Attached Files
File Type: txt injuries.txt (34.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
hfield007
All Star Starter

whenever I get a CEI in my game for a player in the league I usually just edit it to him being out for anywhere from 400-800 days and put them in FA. Sometimes they come back and are shells of their former selves while other times they still have some great play left. Always interesting to see who takes the gamble signing.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #20
gem
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
Really? People in all sports have career ending injuries every year.
Usually old players or freak accidents.

This guy fell off a ladder, had 'bone chips in elbow' and had his career ended.

That has been a three month layoff after surgery all the way back to Kirk McCaskill.

If the guy got hit in the face by a line drive like Juan Encarnacion then maybe I could swallow it more. Falling off a ladder and having 'bone chips' ... that is something modern medicine fixes all the time.