Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
uabfan
Minors (Single A)

Ideal minor league system distribution?

Anyone have suggestions for calculating the ideal distribution of players for a given minor league system? So, given a max ML roster size and roster sizes for all levels below that, how many catchers, 2Bs, starting pitchers, relievers, etc. should be carried? Perhaps even before the start of Rookie league vs. after (if applicable). I have a spread I've been using for a 27/30/30/30/35 (ML->Rookie) setup but it's just raw numbers and I've recently entered a setup that adds a Short-A level. Trying to adjust my numbers with any semblance of logic has been a pain...especially given that Short-A is yet another level that doesn't start until the middle of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
uabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

With the exception of Rookie ball, where I carry extras, this is what I have at every level of my org, MLB included.

2 C
2 1B
3 MIF (at least 1 each 2B/SS)
2 3B
2 CF
3 COF (at least 1 each RF/LF)
5 SP
6 RP
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
With the exception of Rookie ball, where I carry extras, this is what I have at every level of my org, MLB included.

2 C
2 1B
3 MIF (at least 1 each 2B/SS)
2 3B
2 CF
3 COF (at least 1 each RF/LF)
5 SP
6 RP
I am very similar to this, except I keep seven RPs and usually a total of three between 1B and 3B, and hopefully one of the MIFs can also play a corner IF spot.

I manage all transactions for my team (I'm playing the MLB quickstart with the Mets) and it can be tough juggling rosters to make sure the higher levels have enough players. I try to stay at a 25-player maximum for AAA, AA and both full-season A teams. My short-season A team and Rookie League teams I keep a max of 30. I've found that if I keep every team at 25 (which I think is the real life limit), then I'm constantly trying to sign scrub free agents to fill in gaps when injuries happen.

Which leads me to one thing I'd like to see in OOTP 14 -- extended spring training roster.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

More or less as Oliver described, except that I don't pay a ton of attention to the distribution of position players overall... but I do always try to have 4 or 5 SP at each level. And to keep 2 catchers per level with hopefully one developing for promotion so there's always a supply of ML-quality backup catchers coming up.

I'd rather not use closers in the minors but the AI always picks someone for that. Doesn't seem like a big deal.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

i like 2c.6if.5of.5sp.6rp.1cl for each team including the majors

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

I have the following setup on all my teams.

Ca: 2
1B, 2B, 3B, SS: 1 each
IF: 2 utility infielders, but on occasion 1 utility IF plus a 1b/3b guy.
OF: 5
SP: 6 (5-man rotation plus a spot starter who will relieve in a pinch)
RP: 6

I consider this the minimum core player breakdown for a 25 man roster. The only time I deviate is the rare cases where a catcher can play infield or outfield, or I have a super-utility guy who can play infield and outfield allowing me to platoon at 1B.

I never manage teams with DH. The breakdown might be altered for DH.

Anyone else that can fit in a roster larger than 25 is gravy
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
uabfan
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmknpk2 View Post
Anyone else that can fit in a roster larger than 25 is gravy
Looks like we're all in agreement on a 25-man roster (I use that core in the online league and then use the extra 2 slots - majors went to 27 a few seasons back to balance out changes being made to Waivers/DFA rules - as needed but try to make sure one of them is a prospect on the verge of breaking through since development is the same at ML level regardless of playing time). I also use that core 25 throughout my levels - in fact, that's the first thing I setup when changing seasons or starting a game.

The question I find hard to answer is what flavor gravy for those extra slots in the minors? My instinct is to lean towards pitching because they get injured more often and are more likely to go down for 3+ months. But it seems I need to break it down more specifically than just hitters or pitchers because I'm constantly finding myself swamped at specific spots (i.e., a buttload of relievers with barely enough starters to spread around, enough outfielders that each minor league team is carrying 6 or more, first basemen out my ears) along with starving for something else - typically catchers and shortstops.
uabfan is offline   Reply With Quote