Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Fighter Database

Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I feel Rocky was the greatest of all time. Ali would have the same issues with him as he had with Frazier. Only Rocky hit harder and was better defensively, and better from a stamina point than Frazier. As for Tyson...I always have felt he's over rated...heck, he lost to Douglass..and that says a lot ....lol
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
don1234
Bat Boy

IF you feel today's big heavyweights would have a size advantage against Rocky, copy him as a Cruiserweight and try him out against Lewis, Foreman and the rest of the dreadnoughts.
don1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
Rspen46
Minors (Single A)

Rocky

Rocky in the modern world, would be a Cruiserweight, his best weight and average was around 187, so today, or against most of those guys mentioned, it would not be a fight with him at 187, same for Jack Dempsey, he was a cruiserweight and with their height, that's where they belonged, so just to even discuss the fact that they could have beaten the top 10 heavies of all-time or even be one of them is amazing.

Ali fought his best at around 220, and he was tall with a reach, with his skills, I could not expect the greatest Cruiserweight of all time to last with him in his prime.
Rspen46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
tmax11
Hall Of Famer

Rocky, Louis, Dempsey, all these guys would be heavyweights today because that's where the money is. They'd probably start as Cruisers but would surely put on the weight to move up. After all, Roy Jones Jr. won a heavy world title. Now, whether they could compete against the elite Super Heavies, that's debatable.

Last edited by tmax11; 05-18-2012 at 12:27 PM.
tmax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #25
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

Rocky Marciano was a Mobbed Up Joke.
He had the reach of a Hermit Crab, and lead with his face.

And when the Mob was done with him, he got taught the The Principle Law of Gravity. What goes up, must come down.
Joe Punchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Punchy View Post
Rocky Marciano was a Mobbed Up Joke.
He had the reach of a Hermit Crab, and lead with his face.

And when the Mob was done with him, he got taught the The Principle Law of Gravity. What goes up, must come down.
Very insightful and profound analysis!
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #27
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Rocky Marciano was a freak of nature, like most great champions. In his era he was terrific. Would he be great today? He retired because of the wear and tear on his body fighting the way he did. Were he starting today at cruiserweight I could see him doing really well, but he'd start having problems if he moved up to fight the big guys, these giants today.

When we finish our time machine, Al, Bobby and I will bring Rocky back and match him with the behemoths of the day. Then we'll all finally know for sure.

Cap
Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #28
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

I cut my teeth, on a paper copy of Title Bout, back in the 1970's, during the heyday, of Boardgames. It was one of two of the finest sports boardgames, ever invented. The other being APBA Baseball.

Sometime ago, I procured a CD version, of the reinvention of this popular game, and since my computer is older than the invention of the candle.
I finally got it to work, about a month ago..... Great Fun.

Point is, I did a Throwback Fight between Larry Holmes, when he was still undefeated, and Rocky Marciano,....who we all know was undefeated.

Ted Williams, a deceased employee, of the Boston Red Sox once said.
"Rocky retired, at 49-0. He should have went for 50-0. That would have been something."

Rocky ended up 49-1.
It was a great match, and I would love to post the HTML here.

How do I do that?

JP
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

Let's Try This
C:\Program Files\Out of the Park Developments\Title Bout Championship Boxing 2\Bouts\History\{5F5B88A9-256E-11E2-A6D4-444553540000}.html
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Pretty sure you can't post html files here. Maybe you can convert it to something else or copy the contents into a file format you can post.

Cap
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #31
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

Lightbulb

"Now I know how the monkey felt." Alan Sheppard thought to himself, after Werner Von Braun, pushed the green button.

Well Cap,.....let's try this.....

JP
Attached Files
File Type: txt Title Bout Championship Boxing.txt (53.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #32
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

I checked the attachment out, and it's a typical txt file.
The narative is pretty easy to follow, but the statistics, need some patience, to decypher.

And the attachment appears to be a Zip File, so I reccomend making a new file to download it into.

By the way, Alan Sheppard ....rocked.
First man in space, for the USA, in a tailormade garbage can.
Retired after walking on the moon.

Scott Glenn portrayed him in the Iconic Movie
"The Right Stuff."

And I am old enough, to have watched the entire event, on a Zenith
Black and White TV, when they looked like a deluxe peice of Living Room Furniture.
When Werner Von Braun, pushed The Green Button.

And I saw Niel Armstrong, walk on the moon, in NASA Black & White, on a Motorola Quaser TV,
that still looked like a piece of Living Room Furniture, some 8 years later.
but I missed out on any Sheppard Footgae on TV. Had a 48 hour a week day hob, and was going to nightschool at a Junior College, 4 days a week.

R.I.P. Space Man,...John Glenn has NOTHING on YOU.
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/shepard-alan.html

That was totally off topic, but I yam, what I yam.

Joe P.

Last edited by Joe Punchy; 11-09-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #33
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Opened your txt file. Looked okay. Holmes decisions Marciano. Possible. Notice you had Angelo Dundee in Holmes' corner. I always thought that Earl Walls at his best might have beaten Marciano in 1955.

Cap
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #34
Joe Punchy
Bat Boy

Cap,

Thanks for your txt RE

I set up the fights, and sit back.

I collect 20 percnt of the gate.
The fighters go forty forty.

Which explains why, a bag of popcorn costs 10 dollars.
And a ringside seat goes for 10,000 dollars.

Don't blame me....I am just the facility owner.

Joe P
Old 03-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #35
APBAgreat
Minors (Single A)

I don't know if Louis was being kind or truthful when he said that he couldn't have beaten Marciano in his prime when Marciano visited the defeated Louis in his dressing room after their match. Louis was deemed the favorite by the experts going into the contest.

As far as the picks for Marciano are concerned, I believe he KO's Mike Tyson, who never beat a single top tier boxer in his career. He met two great boxers and lost all (3) contests, i.e., Evander Holyfield twice and Lennox Lewis. I think Tyson is the most overrated Heavyweight Champion in history. Tyson fans usually counter his loss to Lewis as being past his prime despite the fact that Lewis is a year older than Tyson and had fought him in the amateur ranks. Evander Holyfield proved his superiority over Tyson without question, yet people rank Tyson over him. This is a conclusion that defies common sense. It reminds me of Dempsey being ranked over Gene Tunney, who won (19) of the (20) rounds that they boxed. Like Tyson, Dempsey never defeated another great boxer, and I'm convinced in seeing the Willard match many times that Dempsey had loaded gloves. Willard had no doubt in his mind until his dying day and I agree with him.

Last edited by APBAgreat; 03-16-2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added text.
APBAgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #36
APBAgreat
Minors (Single A)

Today there is no division for a boxer like Rocky Marciano who weighed under 190 lbs in the majority of his bouts. When is the last time that you know of that a boxer weighed in the 180s in a World Championship match? There is no division for boxers over 175 lbs to 190 lbs. The Cruiserweight Division should go back to a maximum of 190 lbs and a new Division such as Junior Heavyweight should be created from 191 lbs to 200 lbs.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #37
APBAgreat
Minors (Single A)

Joe Punchy...maybe you're kidding or you really are punchy. Rocky Marciano was never involved with the mob and anyone with a scintilla of boxing knowledge is well aware of that. You are simply fabricating unsubstantiated off the wall ludicrous accusations. I'm quite certain you have zero evidence of your phony claims about the mob and Rocky Marciano. A bizarre opinion isn't evidence of anything. Maybe if you ever watched a Marciano match you might realize how ridiculous you make yourself out to be. Your statement is the dumbest I've ever heard made about boxing anywhere at any time.

Last edited by APBAgreat; 03-16-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #38
APBAgreat
Minors (Single A)

Cap,

Do you think Earl Walls was anything near as good a boxer as Ezzard Charles, Joe Walcott or Archie Moore? Earl Walls wouldn't make it through six rounds with Marciano unless he ran away.