Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-25-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
Henry
Hall of Fame

Universal Baseball Association Historical Replay

As some of you may know, I have been trying to recreate the history of the Universal Baseball Association from Robert Coover's 1968 novel - "The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh Proprietor".

The story details the 56th season of the UBA, and regularly refers back to the leagues 55 year history, mentioning various details and feats of 106 specific players from the leagues history.

I was always intrigued by that history and wanted to know more - but alas - there wasn't really a UBA and thus no history... until one day I got the idea to use OOTP to create that detail. It seemed easy at first, create the 8 team UBA, stock it with players, and then insert the 106 specific players from the novel.

It was, and has been, tougher than it looked. I first had to look up every reference in the story about each player - and try to place them on a time line that would make sense - and which would allow the statistics mentioned in the story to play out as close as possible to my replay. I had to choose birthdays, and the year each player entered the league, making sure any reference in the book happened at the correct time. I had to try and set player abilities to levels that could duplicate the feats they accomplished in the story. I had to do a lot of work !!

I'm about ready to start my third attempt - having learned a lot about what I did right and wrong in the first two tries. I am hoping to report here, in the form of a diary, how it goes - letting you know what I run into, and the type of things I have to watch for... either just for your reading pleasure, or in the event you might want to try something similar yourself. In any event, I hope it's interesting.

Here goes.....

Making it Real

I don’t know what level of understanding Robert Coover had about baseball in 1968 when he wrote his novel, but a few glaring problems surfaced in my attempt to create the unofficial UBA history in OOTP5. This may have been due to a lack of statistical baseball knowledge, a rudimentary understanding of the game, or more likely, the fact that the novel was a social commentary intended as a satire of Christianity relative to Coover’s belief in man’s need for organization in life - thus his "creation" of religion.

Whatever the reason, some of the statistics claimed in the novel either would be impossible – or would render the meaning of “possible” useless in J. Henry Waugh’s world. Given that the lead character (Henry) was an accountant, and that the story gave every indication in his described personality as being a stickler for reality, I think the issues below were the result of Coover’s focus on the mainline story – and not on the accuracy of the baseball relationships. Backing this theory up is the fact that this novel was not one of Coover's favorites, since most fans of the story were baseball fans - and his primary message was lost in the mix.

Below, I have addressed two of the most glaring of the issues, as I see them, and how I worked around them. To reconcile the UBA’s replay history with what is stated in the story, I’ve simply blamed most of the inaccuracies of the book on Henry’s memory of events-not-documented, or an exaggeration of fact.

300 Career Wins
Two pitchers in the UBA won 300 or more games in their career - Fancy Dan Casey and Brock Rutherford. Given the fact that (1) the UBA played an 84 game season, (2) pitchers relied on a 4 man rotation, and (3) a “long” pitching career would be about 20 years, the math easily shows these pitchers would have needed to win an average 15 games out of 21 starts each year (and that is assuming the pitcher was never injured). Assuming, in addition, that a pitcher would get as many as 75% of his decisions, that would result in 20 straight years of a 15-1 record … easily enough to win 20 straight “best pitcher” awards.

Since the Hall of Fame qualifications for Wins was reduced from 300 to 150 for the half season adjustment, it seemed more reasonable to me that 200 wins (average of 10 per year) would be a significant feat. I thus “modified” the target of these two(2) "300" win pitchers to 200-220 wins.

300 Strikeouts per Season
Six(6) UBA pitchers also surpassed 300 strikeouts in the 84 game schedule per Coover’s novel (with Rutherford holding the record with 341!!). Again, the math exercise would show that these pitchers would have to average 14.3 strikeouts per game for their entire career to accomplish 300 Ks.

Knowing the UBA existed in an assumed early 20th century environment (1901-1955), I looked for the real-world strikeout leader between those years. Herb Score, in 1955, posted 9.7 strikeouts per game – or 203 season strikeouts across 21 starts (maximum). Knowing the K was a critical item in Coover's/Henry's mind to success, I therefore set 200 strikeouts as the “modified” target for the UBA historic replay and 250 as a significant feat.

These two statistics were the most glaring errors in the book, and made for some bizarre results in my first two replays (Casey won the Best Pitcher Award 16 out of the 18 years he pitched!!).

Going from here...
Next I am going to restock the 1901 season with the first six personalities of the UBA.
  • Dean Sullivan - manager of the Beaneaters from 1901 to 1917 with one championship to his credit.

Abe Flint - both the first Chancellor of the UBA and manager of the Excelsiors from 1901 to 1908. Best known for his firing of Verne MacKenzie as manager, when he later became an executive with the Excelsiors.

Vern MacKenzie - shortstop for the Excelsiors and later manager of his beloved team. This Hall-of-Famer is considered the greatest shortstop in UBA history.

Barney North - Centerfielder for the Haymakers and the third Chancellor of the UBA.

Fancy Dan Casey - Pitcher for the Keystones. Dan would win "300" games and be elected to the Hall-of-Fame in year 19. Great-grandfather of Jock Casey, a rookie in year 56.

Marshall Williams - "Marsh", the Knickerbocker's leftfielder, was the UBA's first slugger.
Six players down - 100 to go...

As you can imagine, try as I might, I will not be able to replicate the events in the book "exactly", but I will attempt to create a UBA history that completes my wish to pour over the history and players of the league Robert Coover created.

Oh, just for fun, the annual championship trophy will be called the "Coover Cup".

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

This is shaping up to be awesome, Henry. Just one thing - keep talking to other humans in the 'real world'. Don't want you to end up like the protagonist. I'm really looking forward to following this.
Dagrims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
Henry
Hall of Fame

FYI: After I have completed the entire 55 year UBA history, I will write up a year by year chronology as well as review all 106 personalities from the book. This, along with the Almanac and the league file (for those that want to continue the legacy) will all be made available to you.

The first season resulted in the Keystones winning the Coover Cup (54-30) behind a fantastic starting rotation, including Dan Casey who went 11-5 (right on target for his "adjusted" 200 win career). Dan (currently 20 years old) will have to retire in 1918 since he joins the HOF in 1919 in the book.
  • Dan Casey goes 11-5 in his first season
    Earned first career win on 6/1/1901...
    Had first career hit (homerun) on 6/10/1901, off Patrick Jones (BEA)...

Barney North hits .291 for the Haymakers
    Had first career hit (double) on 6/1/1901, off Jeffrey Myhre (EXC)...
    Hit first career homerun on 6/14/1901, off Willie Loya (KNI)...
    Won Player of the Week award on 9/2/1901, hitting .500 with 1 HR, 5 RBI...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Centerfield in 1901...

"Marsh" Williams hit .273 with 30 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Had first career hit (homerun) on 6/1/1901, off Fancy Dan Casey_ (KEY)...
    Hit 3 homeruns against Baltimore P, driving in 4 runs on 8/17/1901...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/19/1901, hitting .471 with 5 HR, 6 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hit .319 for the Excelsiors in his first year
    Had first career hit (double) on 6/2/1901, off Brian Bennett (HAY)...
    Hit first career homerun on 6/20/1901, off Michael Rohan (PAS)...
    Drove in 6 runs against Brooklyn B on 7/13/1901...
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/15/1901, hitting .481 with 4 HR, 13 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 8/1/1901, hitting .398 with 9 HR, 30 RBI...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Shortstop in 1901...
Joining the UBA in 1902...
  • Woodrow "Woody" Winthrop - Bridegrooms
    Woody had an All-Star career as a Bridegroom thirdbaseman. He was the 1919 MVP and batting champ at age 37. He would later manage the Knickerbockers to a championship and become the 7th UBA Chancellor shortly thereafter. His value to the league continues to this day as mentor for the current UBA Chancellor, Fenn McCaffree.
Side Note
The novel only mentions 4 of the 10 Chancellors over the 55 year span of the UBA. I've assumed they were elected to four year terms, and the ones mentioned served double terms - thus the following list...
Code:
1901-1908 - 2 terms - Abe Flint (1st)
1909-1912 - 1 term  - ?
1913-1920 - 2 terms - Barney North (3rd)
1921-1924 - 1 term  - ?
1925-1928 - 1 term  - ?
1929-1932 - 1 term  - ?
1933-1940 - 2 terms - Woodrow Winthrop (7th)
1941-1944 - 1 term  - ?
1945-1948 - 1 term  - ?
1949-1956 - 2 terms - Fennemore McCaffree (10th)

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
Akrobat
All Star Reserve

This is really spectacular Henry... I am strongly considering picking up the book now I'll be following.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Henry
Hall of Fame

Playing at Life...

Understanding Coover's UBA novel beyond it's obvious baseball reference is a task some of you may be interested in as well. Beyond the UBA replay I will be reporting on here, I thought it might interest some of you to know more about the author himself. The following article talks abour Robert Coover, his stories, and even about the "Universal Baseball Association" (highlighted in red).

I hope you enjoy it,

http://www.bigcitybaseball.com/downl...yingatLife.htm

PS: The 1902 and maybe 1903 seasons will be reported tonight.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Keystones win their second Coover Cup (51-33) behind a huge sophomore season by Dan Casey. Casey went 16-3 with a 1.40 ERA, easily taking the 1902 Pitcher of the Year Award.The Keystones won the year with a 6 game lead.
  • Dan Casey wins career high 16 games
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 8/1/1902, going 5-2, 1.39...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1902, going 16-3, 1.40 ERA...

Barney North hits .283 and steals 16 bases for the Haymakers

"Marsh" Williams hit .266 with 21 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Hit for the cycle against Troy H on 7/7/1902...
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/8/1902, hitting .448 with 5 HR, 9 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hit .293 for the Excelsiors and wins 2nd Gold Glove Award
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/1/1902, hitting .526 with 5 HR, 8 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 9/2/1902, hitting .435 with 3 HR, 4 RBI...
    Had 22-game hitting streak snapped on 9/5/1902...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Shortstop in 1902...

"Woody" Winthrop hits .303 for the Bridegrooms and wins the Rookie of the Year Award
    Had first career hit on 6/1/1902, off Patrick Jones (BEA)...
    Hit first career homerun on 6/4/1902, off Peter Millwood (HAY)...
    Won Rookie of the Year Award in 1902, hitting .303 with 7 HR, 36 RBI...
Joining the UBA in 1903...
...None

Side Note
I'm currently working out the manager careers mentioned in the book. Thirteen(13) UBA characters that have to be time-lined between their playing careers and whatever they might have done after managing (like Chancellor). I'll report on those later.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Baltimore Pastime Club (51-33) wins the 1903 championship behind the league MVP Award winner Irvin Tomlin (.314, 24 HRs). The Keystones dropped to 5th even with another 16 wins from Dan Casey.
  • Dan Casey wins 16 games for second straight year
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 9/1/1903, going 6-0, 1.71...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1903, going 16-4, 2.19 ERA...

Barney North hits .314 and steals 17 bases for the Haymakers

Marshall Williams hits only .242 but hits 26 homeruns for the Knickerbockers

Vern Mackenzie hit .306 for the Excelsiors and wins 3rd Gold Glove Award
    Won Gold Glove Award at Shortstop in 1903...

"Woody" Winthrop hits .289 for the Bridegrooms
Joining the UBA in 1904...
  • Melbourne "Mel" Trench - Excelsiors
    This Cels standout was a man of a thousand nicknames including "Mighty Mel", "Hel-born Melbourne". "Terrible Trencheon", and "Swell Mel". This one-time power hitting homerun king is the only player in UBA history to have won back-to-back MVP awards. When his skills diminished, Mel was traded to the Pastimers. He would later come back and manage the Excelsiors, but was let go in 1948.
Side Note
I has to run the 1903 season twice since one pitcher managed to get 240 strikeouts... too high a figure per my discussion above. A slight adjustment brought him down in the second run.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
Henry
Hall of Fame

Abe Flint, first Chancellor of the UBA

Abe Flint, the first Chancellor of the UBA, was a man of high ideals. Elected to the position at the league's second organizational meeting in 1898, there was little doubt as to his qualifications. A lawyer by trade, Abe was involved intimately in the road show baseball clubs of the late 1800s, representing the various teams as they scheduled road tours across the young country.

Part owner of the New York Metropolitans, one of the best known traveling clubs of the 1890s, he had first hand knowledge of the baseball business back when most folks were still learning the game. Upon the idea, set forth by Truman Maxwell, concerning the organization of a professional league playing in club built ballparks, Abe was the first to immerse himself in the concept and planning of the UBA.

By 1899, seven teams had applied for league membership - the Knickerbockers of New York (formerly the Metropolitans), the Excelsiors of Brooklyn, the Bridegrooms of Brooklyn (formerly the Kings of Brooklyn, renamed when 4 players got married over the winter of 1898-99), the Haymakers of Troy, the Beaneaters of Boston, the Keystones of Philadelphia, and the Pastime Club of Baltimore (one of the true "Gentleman's Clubs"). The UBA planning commission, with such baseball greats as Truman Maxwell, Dean Sullivan, Randall Wilkie, and Abe Flint originally wanted 10 teams in the league, but finding a financially stable eighth team was, in itself, becoming a problem.

In July of 1900, Abe approached Abner Minnifield of Cincinnati, owner of the traveling Pioneer team, and asked him if he would consider joining the UBA. Franklin's initial response, in keeping with his well known aggressive manner, was "and by what stumble into insanity would cause me to abandon the financial advantage of a traveling team?".

Flint, being both patient and focused on his goal, went on to explain to Minnifield that a "home team" concept could pull in thousands of spectators per season in a city that took pride in "their" team - that the home city itself could produce more income than the one-time spectators in the various cities visited. Abe also pointed out that the Pioneers were the pride of Cincinnati - and yet got to only see the team play 3 times a season.

After considerable discussion and negotiations, Franklin agreed to play a three year contract in the UBA if the city would pay for the ballpark and Abner was provided a seat on the UBA Board of Directors. Cincinnati officials agreed quickly, and Flint reluctantly agreed to the Board assignment - and the Pioneers of Cincinnati became the 8th and final team of the UBA.

The work of Abe Flint and others was critical to the ultimate success of the UBA. Flint and Minnifield became inseparable friends as the planning commission made plans to open the UBA's first season on June 1st, 1901. Maxwell, Minnifield, and Flint were elected to the Board of Directors.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Henry
Hall of Fame

November 1, 1903

The Honorable Abe Flint
Chancellor
Universal Baseball Association
1290 7th Avenue
New York, New York

Dear Abe,

This letter is to gladly inform you that the Pioneer Baseball Club will remain a member of the UBA beyond the original three year agreement, which ends on December 31, 1903.

I have to admit, my friend, that your original proposal, as presented five years ago and supported by Maxwell himself, initially amused me and made me quite reticent to risk my holdings at the time. A baseball team playing half its games in a single place - yes, crazy I thought you all were.

But, having reviewed my financial reports for the past three years (1901-03) I have to conclude this has been a marvelous financial success. The Pioneer club, although not yet able to set the pace I would wish, has benefited greatly from the local populace in both attendance and the city's construction of our ballpark. In addition, you were kind enough to allow me to take part in the planning and daily operation of the league (under a little duress of course).

I thank you for all of this.

Congratulations, and continued success to all of us in the years to come.

Abner B. Minnifield
President
The Pioneer Baseball Club of Cincinnati

Last edited by Henry; 05-28-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Baltimore Pastime Club (55-29) win their second championship by 10 games over the Keystones. Compiling a .263 league leading batting average and a 3.86 staff ERA (2nd). The top three starters in the Pastimer rotation totaled 37 wins and only 11 losses.
  • Dan Casey goes 15-5 with a 1.71 ERA for the Keystones
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 7/1/1904, going 5-2, 1.94...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 8/1/1904, going 7-0, 1.33...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1904, going 15-5, 1.71 ERA...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Pitcher in 1904...

Barney North hits a career high .326 for the Haymakers
    Had 5 hits with 4 RBI against Boston B on 8/25/1904...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/26/1904, hitting .519 with 2 HR, 8 RBI...

Marshall Williams clubs 36 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/22/1904, hitting .412 with 3 HR, 5 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/12/1904, hitting .412 with 5 HR, 12 RBI...
    Won MVP Award in 1904, hitting .283 with 36 HR, 73 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hits .339 for the Excelsiors but looses his first Gold Glove Award to Elias Clark of the Keystones

"Woody" Winthrop hits .300 with 18 HRs for the Bridegrooms
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/15/1904, hitting .500 with 4 HR, 8 RBI...

Melbourne "Mel" Trench wins Rookie of the Year Award for the Excelsiors
    Had first career hit on 6/2/1904, off Michael Rohan (PAS)...
    Hit first career homerun on 6/5/1904, off David Knight (PIO)...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 7/1/1904, hitting .323 with 6 HR, 23 RBI...
    Won Rookie of the Year Award in 1904, hitting .306 with 15 HR, 61 RBI...

Joining the UBA in 1905...
  • Gus Maloney - P - Haymakers
    Gus' beaning by Toothbrush Terrigan set off one of the biggest fights in UBA history. Gus became a Haymaker manager and then turned to league politics.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Managers of the UBA

Thirteen managers are mentioned in Coover's story. Two who are managers in 1901, and 11 players who become managers later in their careers. In planning for these 13 individuals for my replay, it's impossible (at this point) to know exactly when they will become managers since the game will somewhat determine the actaul timing based on their retirements. So, what I've done below is give you a rough timing outline of each manager based on what makes sense from the book - which I will use to guide me as the years progress.

PS: One of my goals in this replay is to come as close as I can to all the details mentioned in the novel - without creating any significant errors or inconsistencies with the story. Ultimately, I can only come close - I hope it's "close enough"
  • Cash Bailey
    Born 1906
    Career 1929 to approx 1946
    Manager approx 1949 to at least 1956

Barney Bancroft
    Born 1898
    Career 1919 to approx 1941
    Coach/Manager approx 1944 to 1956
    Chancellor 1957 (per novel)

Winslow Beaver
    Born 1913
    Career 1937 to approx 1954
    Rookie Manager 1956

Abe Flint
    Born 1855
    1st Chancellor AND Manager of the Excelsiors in 1901
    Left Chancellor's office in 1908
    Left Managing in 1912
    Remained Excelsior owner until his death

Sycamore Flynn
    Born 1899
    Career 1919 to approx 1938
    Manager 1953 to at least 1956

Dean Sullivan
    Born 1860
    Manager of the Excelsiors 1901 to 1921

Vern Mackenzie
    Born 1875
    Career 1901 to approx 1915
    Manager approx 1918 to 1921

Gus Maloney
    Born 1885
    Career 1905 to aprox 1924
    Manager approx 1930 to approx 1944

Raglan Rooney
    Born 1888
    Career 1910 to approx 1929
    Manager approx 1945 to at least 1956

Tim Shadwell
    Born 1890
    Career 1910 to approx 1929
    Manager approx 1943 to at least 1956

Melborne Trench
    Born 1884
    Career 1904 to approx 1923
    Manager approx 1926 to 1948

Wally Wickersham
    Born 1917
    Career 1940 to approx 1955
    Manager approx 1956 (per novel)

Woodrow Winthrop
    Born 1881
    Career 1902 to approx 1921
    Manager approx 1924 to 1932
    Chancellor 1933 to 1940

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:01 AM   #12
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Troy Haymakers (53-31) win the Coover Cup for the first time edging out the Keystones attempt at their third. The Troy pitching staff led the league with a 3.56 ERA and 68 complete games. Paul Osborne, of the Pioneers, just missed the 400-mark with a .396 batting average - but he lost the MVP to Marsh Williams.
  • Dan Casey wins 16 for the Keystones including a No-Hitter
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/15/1905, winning 2 games with a 0.00 ERA...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 8/1/1905, going 5-2, 1.31...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/26/1905, winning 2 games with a 0.50 ERA...
    Pitched NO-HITTER against Cincinnati P on 8/29/1905, striking out 6...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 9/1/1905, going 5-1, 1.00...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1905, going 16-3, 1.63 ERA...

Barney North hits .343 (career high) for the Haymakers

Marshall Williams hits .302 and clubs 33 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Hit 3 homeruns against Brooklyn E, driving in 8 runs on 6/4/1905...
    Won MVP Award in 1905, hitting .302 with 33 HR, 87 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hits .319 for the Excelsiors and adds 22 SBs

"Woody" Winthrop has off-year, batting only .245 for the Bridegrooms

Melbourne "Mel" Trench bats .350 for the Excelsiors and clubs 26 HRs
    Had 5 hits with 2 RBI against Philadelphia K on 6/9/1905...
    Won Player of the Week award on 6/10/1905, hitting .600 with 2 HR, 9 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 7/1/1905, hitting .455 with 13 HR, 28 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/1/1905, hitting .500 with 4 HR, 6 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/22/1905, hitting .450 with 2 HR, 5 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/12/1905, hitting .524 with 2 HR, 6 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 9/1/1905, hitting .344 with 9 HR, 30 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 9/2/1905, hitting .522 with 1 HR, 8 RBI...

Gus Maloney pitches only 4 innings for the Haymakers
Joining the UBA in 1906...
...None

Side Note
I'm finding it necessary to track each player closely and adjust various ratings to insure they follow the history set forth in Coover's book. OOTP likes to make those decisions itself - go figure
Old 05-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #13
Henry
Hall of Fame

UBA Ammendment I

UBA Ammendment I

At the end of the 1905 season, Chancellor Flint implemented the first ammendment to the 5 year old UBA rules. It basically stated that players released by their clubs who were accepted as being rating 3.5 Stars or better, would be reassigned to teams by the Chancellor based on a reverse order of the season's standings, and the needs of the teams determined by the Chancellor's office. In addition, no player could be reassigned to the team that released him.

This ammendment suddenly caught the owner's attention since now, players they deemed not good enough for their own teams could be assigned to their opponents. Many owners realized some additional thought was going to have to be put into those future decisions.

The 1905 Ammendment I Reassignment Class
  • Tim Hancock
    A 32 year old, 4 Star MR, spent two years with the Keystones (1901-02) pitching only 4.1 innings, and was then released. Hancock was reassigned to the Excelsiors. He started the 1906 season at AAA. 1906 update : released

Rick Manly
    A 35 year old, 5 Star MR, spent 4.5 years with the Excelsiors (1901-1905) compiling a 6-6 record with 11 Saves before his release. Manly was reassigned to the Pastime Club. He started the 1906 season at AAA. 1906 update : released

Jack Embree
    A 32 year old, 4.5 Star MR, spent 4 years with the Excelsiors (1901-1904) compiling a 2.91 ERA over 49.1 innings before his release. Embree was reassigned to the Knickerbockers. He started the 1906 season on the Active Roster. 1906 update : 0-0-0 4.26 ERA 6.1 innings

Anthony Newbill
    A 33 year old, 5 Star MR, spent 2 years with the Pioneers (1901-1902) compiling a 3.19 ERA in 31 innings before his release Newbill was reassigned to the Beaneaters. He started the 1906 season on the Active Roster. He started the 1906 season on the Active Roster. 1906 update : 1-1-0 2.45 ERA 14.2 innings

Harvey Creswell
    A 33 year old, 3.5 Star MR, spent one year (1905) with the Pioneers compiling a 3.00 ERA (3 innings) before he was released. Creswell was reassigned to the Keystones. 1906 update : 3-2-0 5.17 ERA 15.2 innings

Erik Marenco
    A 32 year old, 4 Star MR, spent 2 years (1902-1903) with the Bridegrooms pitching only 5 innings (0.00 ERA) before his release. Marenco was reassigned to the Haymakers. He started the 1906 season at AAA. 1906 update : released

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #14
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Keystones (48-36) win their 3rd title in a close race, with the Bridegrooms and Haymakers only 2 games off the pace (Troy held first place until the last week of the season.)
  • Dan Casey wins his 5th straight Pitcher of the Year Award for the Keystones
    Won Player of the Week award on 6/17/1906, winning 2 games with a 0.50 ERA...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/26/1906, winning 2 games with a 0.00 ERA...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1906, going 13-6, 2.37 ERA...

Barney North hits .322 for the Haymakers
    Won Gold Glove Award at Centerfield in 1906...

Marshall Williams hits .292 and clubs 33 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Hit for the cycle against Brooklyn E on 8/8/1906...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 9/1/1906, hitting .343 with 14 HR, 29 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 9/2/1906, hitting .444 with 5 HR, 16 RBI...
    Won MVP Award in 1906, hitting .292 with 33 HR, 85 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hits only .224 for the Excelsiors

"Woody" Winthrop hits .279 for the Bridegrooms, recovering slightly from his previous .245 BA

Melbourne "Mel" Trench bats .328 for the Excelsiors
    Won Batter of the Month award on 7/1/1906, hitting .396 with 5 HR, 21 RBI...

Gus Maloney pitches only 2 innings for the Haymakers

Joining the UBA in 1907...
  • Phineas Flint - Beaneaters
    This Boston hurler was the son of the legendary Abe Flint.

Agapito Bacigamupo - Pastime Club
    (no details available from novel)
Side Note
It turns out I won't be able to duplicate a few details exactly - such as MVP awards. Although the same general players will get them, specific details in the story - such as Mel Trench being the only player to get back-to-back awards is already adjusted (Mel Willimas just got his 3rd straight). In a way, that makes me a bit sad - but as I said in the beginning - I can contribute it to Henry's incomplete recordkeeping, exageration, or failed memory. Moving forward, starting in 1956, will however hace the complete history of the UBA behind it. I can't wait to get there

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:56 PM   #15
Henry
Hall of Fame

The 1906 Ammendment I Reassignment Class

The 1906 Ammendment I Reassignment Class
  • Benjamen Peterson
    A 30 year old, 5 Star MR, spent 6 years with the Excelsiors compiling a 5-2-6 record and 2.58 ERA. It is rumored that he and Owner/Manager/Chancellor Abe Flint didn't get along - but Abe, being the fair-minded person he is, agreed to get Peterson positioned on a new club, using the new ammendment to accomplish it. He is reassigned to the Knickerbockers.

Tim Hancock
    A 32 year old, 4 Star MR, spent two years with the Keystones (1901-02) pitching only 4.1 innings, and was then released. Hancock was reassigned to the Excelsiors. He started the 1906 season at AAA, and was released on June 10, 1906. This year, he is reassigned to the Beaneaters.

Rick Manly
    A 36 year old, 4 Star MR, spent 4.5 years with the Excelsiors (1901-1905) compiling a 6-6 record with 11 Saves before his release. Manly was reassigned to the Pastime Club. He started the 1906 season at AAA, and was released on July 27th, 1906. Manly was reassigned back to the Excelsiors.

Neal Massey
    A 34 year old, 4 Star MR, spent 5 years (1902-1906) with the Pioneers and Bridegrooms compiling a 0-1-0, 3.93 ERA before he was released on 8/22/1906. He was reassigned to the Pastime Club.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:48 PM   #16
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Boston Beaneaters (54-30) win their 1st Coover Cup easily with a 30-12 home record and 3.32 team ERA (2nd best in league). Rookie Phineas Flint helped his team with an 11-6 record and 2.53 ERA which got him the Rookie of the Year Award. On a point worth mentioning, Pioneer shortstop Charles McDermitt, for the second time in his career, had a 3 homerun game - this one against the Keystones.
  • Dan Casey goes 12-6 with a 2.21 ERA for the Keystones
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 8/1/1907, going 6-1, 1.31...
    NOTE: Dan now has 99 wins in his 7 complete seasons...

Barney North hits .310 for the Haymakers

Marshall Williams hits .356 and clubs 25 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/29/1907, hitting .556 with 5 HR, 14 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 8/1/1907, hitting .360 with 9 HR, 33 RBI...
    Had 26-game hitting streak snapped on 8/10/1907...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/26/1907, hitting .591 with 4 HR, 9 RBI...
    Won MVP Award in 1907, hitting .356 with 25 HR, 79 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hits .283 for the Excelsiors
    Drove in 6 runs against Baltimore P on 8/30/1907...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Shortstop in 1907...

"Woody" Winthrop hits .316 for the Bridegrooms

Melbourne "Mel" Trench bats .351 with 24 HRs for the Excelsiors
    Drove in 6 runs against New York K on 6/27/1907...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 7/1/1907, hitting .411 with 8 HR, 23 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/1/1907, hitting .500 with 3 HR, 9 RBI...

Gus Maloney had a tough year going 4-8 for the Haymakers
    Earned first career win on 6/12/1907...
    Had first career hit on 8/27/1907, off Thomas Stoudt (PAS)...

Phineas Flint went 11-6 with a 2.53 ERA for the Beaneaters
    Earned first career win on 6/3/1907...
    Had first career hit (double) on 6/18/1907, off Mike Oliverio (KEY)...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 7/1/1907, going 5-1, 1.66...
    Won Rookie of the Year Award in 1907, going 11-6, 2.53 ERA...

Agapito Bacigamupo went 7-12 with a 5.42 ERA for the Pastime Club
    Had first career hit (double) on 6/11/1907, off Thomas Stoudt (BRI)...
    Earned first career win on 6/11/1907...
Joining the UBA in 1908...
...None

The 1907 Ammendment I Reassignment Class
  • Rick Manly
    A 37 year old, 3.5 Star MR, spent the last couple years bouncing around 3 teams looking for a job. At 3.5 stars and 37 years old, this may be his last chance as he is reassigned to the Keystones.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:40 AM   #17
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Haymakers (55-29) return to the top of the UBA with an impressive .277 team batting average and 3.56 ERA. CF Barney North contributed with a .336 batting average and a career high 23 stolen bases at age 36 !!
  • Dan Casey goes 16-5 with a 1.59 ERA for the Keystones winning his last 11 games straight
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 7/1/1908, going 5-1, 1.86...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/5/1908, winning 2 games with a 0.00 ERA...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 9/1/1908, going 7-0, 0.43...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1908, going 16-5, 1.59 ERA...

Barney North hits .336 for the Haymakers with 23 SBs (career high)
    Won Gold Glove Award at Centerfield in 1908...

Marshall Williams hits .337 and clubs 25 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/1/1908, hitting .563 with 2 HR, 8 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 9/1/1908, hitting .385 with 8 HR, 26 RBI...
    Won MVP Award in 1908, hitting .337 with 25 HR, 76 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hits .275 for the Excelsiors
    Had 5 hits with 1 RBI against Brooklyn B on 8/14/1908...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Shortstop in 1908...

"Woody" Winthrop hits .288 for the Bridegrooms

Melbourne "Mel" Trench bats .355 with 26 HRs for the Excelsiors
    Drove in 6 runs against Boston B on 7/2/1908...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/12/1908, hitting .348 with 5 HR, 8 RBI...

Gus Maloney goes 3-0 with a 1.40 ERA for the Haymakers

Phineas Flint went 8-9 with a 3.55 ERA for the Beaneaters
    Hit first career homerun on 7/9/1908, off John Hart (BRI)...
    Injured on 8/16/1908 with a Inflamed Back Muscle, out for one week...

Agapito Bacigamupo had a terrible year with a 1-14 record and 5.76 ERA for the Pastime Club
Joining the UBA in 1909...
...None

The 1908 Ammendment I Reassignment Class
  • Tim Hancock
    A 34 year old, 4 Star MR, was again released and is thus part of the 1908 reassignment class. This time he will go to the Pastime Club.

Rickey Grandison
    A 33 year old, 4 Star MR, spent parts of 1903, 1906, and 1907 on the Pioneers before being released. He will be reassigned to the Excelsiors.

Dan Wetmore
    A 35 year old, 4 Star MR, spent 8 years with the Knickerbockers, compiling a 2-5-12 record with a 3.46 ERA before being released. He will be reassigned to the Beaneaters.

Wallace Searles
    A 40 year old, 4 Star MR, spent 7 years with the Haymakers (1901-1907) before being released. He is reassigned to the Knickerbockers.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:58 AM   #18
Henry
Hall of Fame

The Beaneaters (53-31) win their 2nd Coover Cup after a close battle all year long with the Haymakers. Part of Boston's success came from a team record 52 triples and a 15-3 record against lefthand pitching.
  • Dan Casey wins a career high 17 games with a 1.71 ERA for the Keystones even though Philadelphia was only 43-41 on the year.
    Pitched PERFECT GAME against Boston B on 6/5/1909, striking out 9...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 7/1/1909, going 6-0, 0.86...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/12/1909, winning 2 games with a 0.45 ERA...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 9/1/1909, going 6-1, 1.88...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1909, going 17-4, 1.71 ERA...

Barney North hits .325 for the Haymakers

Marshall Williams hits .283 and clubs 27 homeruns for the Knickerbockers
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/26/1909, hitting .433 with 5 HR, 8 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 9/1/1909, hitting .333 with 13 HR, 30 RBI...

Vern Mackenzie hits .249 for the Excelsiors
    Had 5 hits with 2 RBI against Baltimore P on 6/15/1909...
    Won Player of the Week award on 6/17/1909, hitting .414 with 4 HR, 7 RBI...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Shortstop in 1909...

"Woody" Winthrop hits .355 with 16 HRs for the Bridegrooms
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/22/1909, hitting .500 with 2 HR, 4 RBI...
    Won Batter of the Month award on 8/1/1909, hitting .415 with 7 HR, 17 RBI...

Melbourne "Mel" Trench bats .282 with 23 HRs for the Excelsiors
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/5/1909, hitting .440 with 7 HR, 14 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/19/1909, hitting .375 with 2 HR, 3 RBI...

Gus Maloney goes 1-1-0 with a 4.39 ERA for the Haymakers

Phineas Flint went 10-11 with a 4.99 ERA for the Beaneaters

Agapito Bacigamupo had a 6-13 record and 6.37 ERA for the Pastime Club
    Won Gold Glove Award at Pitcher in 1909...
Joining the UBA in 1910...
  • Raglan "Rags" Rooney - Haymakers
    This four-time UBA All-Star started his career in Year 10 and was a "never give up" type of guy. He ultimately became a member of the UBA Hall of Fame and the Haymakers manager.

Timothy Shadwell - Keystones
    This tough righty started in 1910 and would be an important cog in the Keystones organization for years to come. Another of a handfull of UBA pitchers to strike out "300" in a single season. He would become the Keystone skipper, and win the Manager of the Year Award in 1955.

The 1909 Ammendment I Reassignment Class
  • Hugh Richardson
    A 30 year old, 5 Star MR, was released by the Bridegrooms after a terrible 1-2-1 10.80 ERA season in 8 appearances. He will be reassigned to the Pastime Club.

Dan Wetmore
    A 36 year old, 4 Star MR, was released by the Beaneaters without an inning opportunity in 1908. He will be reassigned to the Bridegrooms.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:39 PM   #19
Henry
Hall of Fame

1910 - 10th Year Anniversary

The Bridegrooms (52-32) win their 1st Coover Cup after coming so close in 1906 and missing the trophy by only 2 games. The team was lead by SPs Jerry Lee and Brock Vance who combined for a 25-8 record.
  • Dan Casey goes 14-3 with a 2.33 ERA before being injured on August 27th which ended his season. The Keystones are hoping for his full recovery next Spring.
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 7/1/1910, going 6-1, 2.18...
    Injured on 8/27/1910 with a Bone Chips Shoulder, out for full season...
    Won Pitcher of the Month award on 9/1/1910, going 5-0, 1.73...
    Won Pitcher of the Year Award in 1910, going 14-3, 2.33 ERA...

Barney North hits .259 for the Haymakers

Marshall Williams hits .271 with 15 homeruns for the Knickerbockers

Vern Mackenzie hits .247 for the Excelsiors

"Woody" Winthrop hits .279 for the Bridegrooms

Melbourne "Mel" Trench bats .286 with 22 HRs for the Excelsiors
    Won Player of the Week award on 7/29/1910, hitting .308 with 5 HR, 10 RBI...
    Won Player of the Week award on 8/19/1910, hitting .500 with 1 HR, 6 RBI...

Gus Maloney goes 9-10-0 with a 4.61 ERA for the Haymakers

Phineas Flint went 12-7 with a 4.71 ERA for the Beaneaters
    Struck out 15 batters against Cincinnati P on 7/26/1910...

Agapito Bacigamupo had a 6-14 record and 6.27 ERA for the Pastime Club
    Hit first career homerun on 6/14/1910, off Billy Criner (BRI)...
    Won Gold Glove Award at Pitcher in 1910...

Raglan "Rags" Rooney batted .253 with 9 HRs for the Haymakers
    Had first career hit (double) on 6/2/1910, off Agapito Bacigamupo_ (PAS)...
    Hit first career homerun on 6/28/1910, off Jerrold Leger (BRI)...

Timothy Shadwell went 6-8 with a 4.11 ERA (K'd 158) for the Keystones
    Earned first career win on 6/8/1910...
    Had first career hit on 6/12/1910, off Peter Creasman (PIO)...

Joining the UBA in 1911...
  • Puritan Ballou - Bridegrooms
    Great player from who became a player/coach in the Golden Age of the 20s.

The 1910 Ammendment I Reassignment Class
  • Anthony Newbill
    A 38 year old, 5 Star MR, was released by the Beaneaters after only one outing. He will be reassigned to the Pastime Club.

Rickey Grandison
    A 35 year old, 4.5 Star MR, was released by the Excelsiors after only one outing. He will be reassigned to the Haymakers.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:15 PM   #20
Henry
Hall of Fame

10 Year Review

Watching the UBA replay unfold is teaching me a lot about what I'm attempting to do as well as how OOTP handles things. I guess having to go through the motions of trying to make the replay come out one way - when the game has it's own ideas - is quite a learning experience.

1910 Scare

Before I revisit some of my original planning statements, let me take a minute to say a few words about Dan Casey's injury. Although I have set all the UBA personalities to "durable" there are no guarantees. On August 27th of 1910, Casey received a "bone chips shoulder" injury - which ended his season. Had it been a career ender, I would have replayed the season, but also wanting as much reality as possible in this replay, I decided to cross my fingers and see what happens. There's no guarantee Casey will be ready by the start of the 1911 season, but he's on track to make his goals, so I'm willing to let this play out unless he does something stupid like retire on me !!

In any case, this replay is a lot of fun - in that it's forcing me to think out a lot of angles, knowing I can't replicate the 56 year time span to 100% accuracy. I'm crossing my fingers things are ok for Dan come Spring.

Making it Real

Earlier in this thread, I stated that I didn’t know what level of understanding Robert Coover had about baseball in 1968 when he wrote his novel, but a few glaring problems surfaced in my attempt to create the unofficial UBA history in OOTP5 that I felt needed to be addressed.

These included two major stats... Career Wins and Season Ks for starting pitchers.
  • 300 Career Wins
    Watching Dan Casey compile 146 Wins in 10 years at 30 years of age has adjusted my thinking of whether 300 Wins in the 84 game UBA season is all that impossible. If Dan continues to play at this level, or even imporaves a little during his 30's, he's certainly capable of hitting 300.

That would make Brock Rutherford's future record of 311 Wins within the realm of possible as well.

I don't think I'm going to force the issue, but I'm feeling comfortable that Dam will come close to 300 if he stays healthy - and I'm ok with that ... instead of the 200-220 target I mentioned previously.

300 Strikeouts per Season
    Six(6) UBA pitchers also surpassed 300 strikeouts in the 84 game schedule per Coover’s novel (with Rutherford holding the record with 341!!). Again, the math exercise would show that these pitchers would have to average 14.3 strikeouts per game for their entire career to accomplish 300 Ks.

So far David Knight hit 240 K's in 1901 and currently hold the record. I had set 250 as a significant goal (instead of 300+) and I think that target is still valid. Tim Shadwell is now in the league, and I'll see if I can get him over 250 at some pont in his career.
Conclusion
As I said, this is a lot of fun. I can't wait until all the season's are played - and I can write up the "Unofficial History of the UBA, J. Henry Waugh, Proprietor". Writing the stories behind the stats will be a challenge in itself.

I hope all who are reading this are being entertained as well.

Last edited by Henry; 05-31-2004 at 03:20 PM.