Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
naterg1
Major Leagues

The American Baeball Association: Nevada and the year 2000

Nevada Attempting to Win its First American Cup

It was game one of the Championship round of the 2000 American Baseball Classic and Nevada was trying to complete an unlikely come from behind victory. After trailing 5-0 in the 1st inning, they battled back to take a 6-5 lead in the 6th inning. Alabama jumped back into the lead an inning later with a 2-run 7th. Matthew Sales tied the game back up with a two-out RBI double in the top of the 8th but was thrown out at 3rd to end the inning.

With one out in the top of the 9th, second baseman Mark Suhr pulled a single into right field. After Doug Gallo struck out, with catcher Steve Dinkins due to hit, Scott Russell, the 42-year-old first time manager, had a hunch. He called Dinkins back from the on-deck circle and asked the veteran, Joe West to head to the plate.

Joe West stepped in to the batter’s box as 39-year-old backup first baseman and designated hitter. He had started eight games in the tournament, but only had 46 plate appearances in the 20 games in which he saw action. He knew this could be his last at bat of the tournament and possibly the last of his career. He had been a starter in each of his previous trips to the ABC. He had started most of the 194 games he played in for the Nevada state team from 1990 through 1999. This year, he had been replaced in the starting lineup by 24-year-old tournament newcomer Cody Vickers. West understood the change. He could still play, but Vickers was a talented kid who deserved a chance. West was now the old guard.

Joe West knew he had to make the most of every opportunity he got. This was Nevada’s first ever trip to the championships. He had been on the team when Nevada made it to the quarterfinals in 98 but this was his chance to finally help Nevada reach their true goal. They needed 4 wins to bring home their first ever ABC Championship, and the coveted American Cup. West had a chance to put his team in position to get that first win if he could just keep the inning going.

On the mound was Aaron Buntain, the talented 34-year-old closer for Alabama. Buntain was coming off of a great season in the Alabama League, in which he saved a career high 20 games, striking out 13 batters per 9 innings. He throws in the mid-high 90’s with an outstanding fastball and splitter. The 6 foot, 195 pound, right-hander was upset because he had allowed a run in the 8th when asked to take on a 6 out save. Now he was being asked to keep the game tied so that the Alabama offense could try to walk it off in the bottom of the inning.

West took ball 1. It was high and inside. A brushback pitch. He got right back into the batter’s box and stared out at the mound. Joe wanted to make sure the pitcher knew he wasn’t intimidated. Buntain fired another fastball toward the plate. West took a big swing and fouled it back. He stepped back for a second to take a breath. The next pitch painted the outside corner at the knees for strike two.

West stepped out of the batter’s box. He closed his eyes and pictured himself making good contact with the next pitch. He stepped back in and dug his back foot into the ground. Buntain threw his splitter but it got away from him. The ball bounced past Alabama catcher Jim Jerzembeck to the backstop allowing Suhr to move up 90 feet.

With the count now even at 2-2, West stepped out of the box again. He knew he had to respect the fastball, but he also knew he couldn’t forget about the splitter. He set up for the next pitch. Buntain went with a splitter that dropped just out of the zone. West just got a piece of it and fouled it off to the left side. The next pitch was a high fastball at 97 miles per hour that West fouled straight back to stay alive.

Jerzembeck walked out for a conference on the mound. When he got back to the plate, West stepped back into the batter’s box and waited for the next 2-2 pitch. Buntain fired another fastball toward home. West put a good swing on it and lined the ball down the right field line. It bounced around in the corner and right fielder Jeremy Pearn had a little trouble tracking it. West raced around second and beat Pearn’s throw to the bag at third. Suhr came in to score and give Nevada an 8-7 lead. West pumped his fist in the air as the rest of the team cheered wildly in the dugout.

Buntain then struck out Chris Hall on three pitches to end the 9th. West had given his team the lead, and put them three outs away from taking a 1-0 advantage in the best of seven series.

Nevada closer J. D. Onofrei gave up a leadoff single in the bottom of the inning to Jordan Phillips, and a two-out single to Tim Flores putting runners on the corners. He was able to work out of the jam when he got Mike Kelley to ground out to second, earning the save and cementing the victory for the Nevada state team.

After the game, West deflected questions about retirement. “Now isn’t the time to talk about that.” He said. “We still need three more wins here. I’ve been part of every tournament team up to this point and this is the first time we’ve ever even made it to the finals. I’m thrilled that I had the opportunity to help the ballclub today.”

He spoke about the at-bat. “I watched a little video on Buntain just in case I had a chance to face him. He’s got filthy stuff. He throws really hard, but even his fastball has so much movement on it. I was just trying to fight off that splitter I barely got a piece of a couple of pitches before the triple. The pitch I hit wasn’t a bad pitch. It probably didn’t quite go where he wanted it to, but it wasn’t over the heart of the plate or anything.”

When asked about the triple, West joked “I’ve always been known for my speed. I mean, my nickname is Triples Machine after all.” The truth is that he has only 9 triples in 3,724 career at-bats including regular season and tournament play. He somehow had 3 triples in the 1992 season, but never had more than one in a calendar year since.

As he spoke with the press, West had the look in his eye of someone who was seriously considering calling it a career once the tournament comes to a close. If this was the final at-bat of his career, it was one to remember.
naterg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
naterg1
Major Leagues

What is this Baseball Universe? How Did We Get Here? Who Are These Players?

The American Baseball Association is an affiliated group of 50 leagues, one for each state in the USA. Each league follows the same rules, plays the same number of games, and has the same number of teams.

Each league is made up of six teams, containing only players from that state. The regular season is made up of a 90-game schedule, followed by a 7-game championship series between the two teams with the best record at the end of the season.

Every year, there is a tournament in which all 50 states send a team of all-stars to compete with each other for the chance to win the American Cup. The state teams compete in four geographically aligned groups for the right to take part in the American Baseball Classic playoffs. The first phase consists of each team playing 22 games in their group. The top 4 teams from each group move on to the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs are played in a double elimination format using 3-game series. The top 8 teams then compete in a 3-game series in the quarterfinal round. The semifinal round is also a 3-game series, followed by a 7-game championship round.

The ABA began play in 1990. The first 10 champions were:
1990: Hawaii
1991: Wisconsin
1992: Ohio
1993: North Dakota
1994: Georgia
1995: Arizona
1996: Mississippi
1997: Colorado
1998: Hawaii
1999: Rhode Island

We will pick things up in the year 2000, the 11th year of the league. I plan to look for interesting stories to tell. Some of them will be based on game situations. I will also dig into the players in the Nevada league, particularly those who will be part of the state team playing in the tournament. I chose Nevada for a couple of reasons.
1. I simmed through the season to pick a team that I knew would go deep in the tournament.
2. I wanted to find a clutch moment for an individual player that could potentially have a big impact on his team’s fortunes.
3. The Joe West story in my previous post was the best moment I found in the semi-final or finals round. I wanted to tell the story of that moment.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
naterg1
Major Leagues

Opening Day 2000 in the Nevada Baseball League

April 1, 2000
As we start a new season, let’s take a look at the media predictions for this year’s Nevada League standings and stars. Almost everyone in the building believes that Henderson will again be the best team in the league. Carson City is the favorite to win the wildcard with Sparks and Las Vegas also fighting to make the playoffs deep into the season. Spring Valley and Reno are not really expected to be in contention for the championship series.

First basemen around the league should all perform well offensively. Joe West should continue to play like a young man if he stays healthy, likely hitting a ton of home runs and hitting well over .300. T.J. Brown and Cody Vickers should also be at the top of the offensive leaderboards at first base. Outfielders Ryan Perry and Matthew Sales should also be outstanding performers.

Some of the top pitchers in the league should be Joe Garner, Justin Tosti, and Gabriel Adame.

All six teams played on opening day. We’ll take a look at the highlights from the full slate of 3 games.

Spring Valley Bighorns at Sparks Aviators
Spring Valley jumped all over the Aviators with 7 runs in the first two innings, fueled by a two-run home run off the bat of Alex Dorantes and a three-run bomb by Chad de Paz. First baseman Joe Sneed added 4 RBI for the Bighorns on 2 hits, including a 2-run home run in the 7th.

Sparks center fielder Jerrod Clark had two hits, including a solo home run to kick off the season. The 28-year-old is coming off of the best season of his career and said he was glad to be able to start the new year with a couple of hits. “We didn’t have a great team result today, but I was happy with the way I hit the ball. I think we’ll come out tomorrow and play much better as a team. I think this is going to be a good team this year.”

The Aviators also got a hit from veteran first baseman Joe West, who was 1-3 with a single and a walk. “We really didn’t play very well today. We need to be a little more patient at the plate, stop swinging at bad pitches, and see if we can get the win tomorrow.”

Carson City River Rats at Las Vegas Bobcats
Las Vegas would like a chance to start the season over again after getting trounced by Carson City 11-2 on opening day. The River Rats were led by their 33-year-old designated hitter Lutz Engels. Engels went 4-4 on the day, with a single, a double, two home runs, and 6 RBI. After the game, Engels spoke about his day. “Wow! I’ve never quite had a game like that. The ball just shot off of my bat every time I was up there. I don’t think I can explain it. I’m going to remember this one for a long time!”

Carson City’s 28-year-old catcher Steve Dinkins had a good day as well. He had a single and a solo home run in the game. Dinkins is starting his third year as the starting backstop for the River Rats. Last year, his batting average dipped below .250 but he hit 11 home runs and drove in 51. He hit over .300 in the ABC last year, starting 11 games for the state team.

Another key contributor was 37-year-old Mark Suhr who had two hits and an RBI. Suhr is in his first year with Carson City. He’s out to prove that he’s still a top-level talent. Suhr has been in the league since it began, and last season was the first time he hit under .300, finishing at .282. He also finished with career lows in OBP, SLG, and the second lowest WAR of his career. He did, however, win his 10th consecutive Great Glove Award at second base. He is the only player who has ever won that award at his position.

Henderson Atlantics at Reno War Dogs:
The last time these two teams met, Henderson completed a 4-games sweep to win their second Nevada Series Championship. Today’s game doesn’t mean nearly as much, but opening day always feels good to win.

Chris Allen got the start for the War Dogs and shut down the Henderson batters early. He didn’t allow a hit in the first 4 innings. His offense staked him to an early lead, jumping on Henderson starter Fernando Gorski when third baseman Josh James slammed a 1-0 pitch just over the fence in right field for a 3-run home run.

Allen ran into trouble in the 5th when Henderson’s star left fielder, Matthew Sales, broke up the no-hitter with a line drive single into right center field. He moved to second base when Rich Long worked a walk. That brought up right-fielder Ryan Perry. Perry was in a new role this year. After playing in 35 games in ’98 and 13 in ’99, the 24-year-old was now being counted on the be the everyday starter. He had played well when given the chance over the last couple of years. He even got 11 at-bats in the Nevada Series last year. Now he picked up the first team RBI of the 2000 season with a double to center field. After a wild pitch and another RBI single, Henderson and Reno were tied at 3 going to the bottom of the 5th.

In the top of the 6th inning, 24-year-old first baseman Cody Vickers came up to face Chris Allen with the score still tied. Vickers had an outstanding rookie season last year, hitting .289 with 19 home runs and 58 RBI while starting 87 games. He missed the playoffs with a badly sprained ankle but finished second in the rookie of the year voting for the ’99 season. Vickers gave the Atlantics the lead with a home run that travelled 417 feet into right center field. After a Rich Long double, Ryan Perry picked up another RBI with a single into left field, giving Henderson a 5-3 lead and knocking Chris Allen out of the game.

Phil Cintron replaced Gorski in the bottom of the 7th and promptly walked Josh Fields to put the War Dogs leadoff man on. After a sacrifice bunt moved Fields to second, Cintron was able to strand him there with a strikeout and a groundout ending the threat.

The score remained the same moving into the bottom of the 9th inning as Henderson’s closer J.D. Onofrei entered the game. Onofrei is in his eighth year in the league, spending time with Henderson and Reno in his career. He first became the team’s closer in 1998. He led the league with 21 saves in 1998 and 25 in 1999. Lat year, he was also named the league relief pitcher of the year. Onofrei was looking for save number one of the 2000 season here on opening day. The 28-year-old closer made quick work of the War Dogs 6, 7, and 8 hitters with a flyout and two strikeouts. The Henderson Atlantics start the season 1-0 with a 5-3 win over the Reno War Dogs.

After the game, Perry talked about his team leading 2 hits and 2 RBI. “I just wanted to go out there and show everybody I deserve my spot in the starting lineup. I was able to make good contact in key situations today. I’m not thrilled that I struck out twice, but otherwise, this was a good day.”

Onefrei talked about the ninth inning after the game as well. “I felt really good out there. I was able to throw my fastball and my curve right where I wanted them. When I’ve got my pitches working like that, they’re really hard to hit.”

Cody Vickers was asked about his home run after the game. “I think the pitch got away from him a little bit. I wasn’t expecting a fastball right down the middle. When I saw that, I took a big cut and got a hold of it. I’m just looking to improve on last year. I want to do everything I can to help this team win. I didn’t get to play in the Nevada Series last year so I really want to do everything I can to help us get back there again.”
Old 07-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #4
naterg1
Major Leagues

A Brief History of the Nevada League

The most successful team in the first decade of the NVBL has been the Spring Valley Bighorns. The Bighorns made the playoffs in 6 of the first 7 seasons, winning 5 championships, including 3 in a row from 1994-1996. 1997 was the first time the team finished under .500. They now have had a losing record in three straight seasons. Their top 3 offensive players in career WAR with the franchise are current starting 1B Justin Sneed (30.5), current starting RF Curt Wheat (9), and retired C Justin Sweet (8.7). The top three pitchers in career WAR are SP Justin Groothuis (32), retired SP Shane Johnson (17.2), and current relief pitcher David Soto (14.3).

The Las Vegas Bobcats have the second-best winning percentage in the league’s history. The Bobcats made the playoffs in 1991 but didn’t get back until 1996. That started a string of three straight playoff appearances, culminating in the franchise’s first championship in 1998. Last year they fell to 6th place with only 37 wins. Their top 3 offensive players in career WAR with the franchise are current starting 1B Jonathan Tripp (27.7), current starting CF Eric Good (20.7), and former 2B Mark Suhr (18.5) who is currently playing with Carson City. The top three pitchers in career WAR are SP Victor Gomez (20.3), RP Mike May (14.6), and relief pitcher Jose Ortega (11.8).

The Reno War Dogs are the only other team with an all-time record over .500. The War Dogs have made the playoffs six times, winning one championship in 1993. Their top 3 offensive players in career WAR with the franchise are former 1B Joe West (26.8), current LF J.J. Yanke (14.8), and current RF Pat Lee (13.3). The top three pitchers in career WAR are SP Fernando Gorski (17.3), former SP Justin Tosti (13.9) who now pitches for Sparks, and retired SP Rich Hynes (10.1).

The Henderson Atlantics did not have a winning season for the first five years of the league. They followed that with five consecutive winning seasons. The Atlantics have made the playoffs twice, in 1997 and 1999. They won the championship in both of those years. Their top 3 offensive players in career WAR with the franchise are current starting LF Matthew Sales (27.2), former RF Evan Alburger (25.6) who now plays for Las Vegas, and retired CF Daniel Chacon (23.9). The top three pitchers in career WAR are former SP Aaron Dixon (19.2) who now pitches for Spring Valley, former SP Dave Gonzalez (11.6), and SP Dustin Gaydosh (8.6).

The Sparks Aviators started strong with back to back seasons over .500, including a championship in 1991. They have only had two winning records in the eight years since. Their top 3 offensive players in career WAR with the franchise are recently retired 3B Brett Martinez (26.8), current DH Joe West (19.3), and recently departed 1B Rich Long (13.4) who signed with Henderson in the offseason. The top three pitchers in career WAR are retired SP Javon Harrington (13), retired SP Travis Hawn (10.8), and SP Ken Dotson (10.3).

The Cason City River Rats have struggled mightily throughout the first decade of the league’s history. They have never finished in first place. The River Rats made the playoffs in 1994. That is still the only playoff appearance in franchise history. Their top 3 offensive players in career WAR with the franchise are retired RF Adam Harrington (23), current 1B T.J. Brown (14.9), and retired 3B Jose Celis (6.8). The top three pitchers in career WAR are retired SP Jaiden Barnes (11.3), current SP David Fuchs (10.5), and SP Doug Kolas (7.5).

Some of the top performers league wide are:
Single season BA Keith McKay for Reno in 1990 (.372)
Single season OPS Joe West for Reno in 1993 (1.289)
Single season hits Mark Suhr for Las Vegas in 1990 (131)
Single season home runs Joe West for Reno in 1993 and Evan Alburger for Las Vegas in 1997 (45)
Single season WAR Eric Good for Las Vegas 1996 (7.9)
Career BA T.J. Brown (.326)
Career OPS Joe West (1.109)
Career hits J.J. Yanke (1190)
Career home runs Evan Alburger (315)
Career WAR Joe West (46.1)

Single season ERA Bill Kory for Sparks in 1999 (1.91)
Single season Wins Justin Groothuis for Spring Valley in 1996 and Chris Allen for Reno in 1999 (12)
Single season Saves J.D. Onofrei for Henderson in 1999 (25)
Single season Strikeouts Justin Groothuis for Spring Valley in 1992 (175)
Single season WAR Justin Groothuis for Spring Valley in 1995 (5.1)
Career ERA Mike May 1.58
Career Wins Justin Groothuis (81)
Career Saves Mike May (198)
Career Strikeouts Justin Groothuis (1415)
Career WAR Justin Groothuis (32.6)

Last edited by naterg1; 07-19-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
naterg1
Major Leagues

Mike May, Closer Extraordinaire, Saves 200th Career Game

Monday, April 10, 2000
Mike May was born on April 11, 1964 in Sunrise Manor, Nevada to Adam and Melissa May. As the youngest of four boys, Mike dealt with more than his fair share of ribbing and pranks growing up.
“Yeah, I took a lot of crap from my brothers as a kid. They used to pull all kinds of stuff on me. I remember one time they all spent about a week swearing up and down that they used to have an older brother named Max that left because he hated me so much when I was a baby or something like that. They say stuff like “You suck Mike! I wish Max was still here instead of you! He was so much cooler than you!” You know. Just a lot of stuff like that.”

May said he thinks that his childhood might have helped be a more effective closer at the big league level. “Yeah, I think it helps to be able to stay calm in tough situations. I learned with my brothers that it was best if I just didn’t react at all to what they were doing or saying. The more calm I was, the more frustrated they got. I didn’t want to smile or laugh at their frustration either. Then they’d get really pissed and probably beat me up. I do think that really helps in the mound in the ninth inning. The other team can’t tell if they’re getting to me, but maybe more importantly, my guys can’t see if I’m getting a little more tense or whatever. It helps them stay calm and focused.”

After attending a series of open tryouts and exhibition games in late 1989, Mike waited anxiously for the Nevada Baseball League’s inaugural draft taking place in New Year’s Day 1990. He sat in the large auditorium the league had rented out for the draft event and hoped to hear his name called. It didn’t take long. May was drafted with the 5th pick of the 2nd round of the draft, making him the 11th player chosen overall. He was going to be the closer for the Spring Valley Bighorns.

May experienced success right out of the gate. He racked up 24 saves in that first season, with an ERA of 1.34. He struck out 54 batters in 40.1 innings. May was named NVBL Player of the month in May and June, and at the end of the season he was named NVBL Pitcher of the Year.
“That first year was a lot of fun. The whole thing was new and I was on a great team. We won the Nevada Series that year, and then again a couple of years later. Winning three in a row from ’94-’96 was really special. I mean, we won five of the first seven titles. It was an amazing run.”

The Bighorns fell of dramatically in 1997 and ended up trading May to the Las Vegas Bobcats just before the deadline. He helped the Bobcats get into the Nevada Series but they lost in six games. Las Vegas was able to get back to the series in 1998 and win it. That was May’s sixth championship ring.

“Ha! Yeah. That was pretty cool. To be able to help a whole new group of guys get a ring was pretty special. The guys sort of leaned on me a lot this first couple of years in Vegas. They knew I had done it before and wanted to know everything they could about getting to, and winning, the series. I joked around with the guys after winning that one that we had to win four more now because I had a ring for every finger on one hand from my days in Spring Valley but I was way off balance because I only had one ring on my other hand from winning with Vegas.”

That year, May also won his 8th NVBL Reliever of the Year Award. He has won every Reliever of the Year award except for 1995 and 1999, a definite point of pride for him.

“I tell you what. It really means a lot to be recognized like that for something I work so hard at. There are so many great relief pitchers in this league. It’s humbling to think that the voters felt that I was the best one so many times. All I can do is keep working hard and hope I’m able to help my team win more games.”

May has also been selected to the Nevada state team every year. The odd thing is that he’s been used exclusively as a starter in the tournament.

“You know, it’s an honor to be part of the state team playing in the ABC. I’m willing to do whatever it is they think is going to give us the best chance to win. If that means starting some games, that’s fine. I hope to be on the team again tho Year and see if we can get deeper in the tournament. That’s really the one thing so haven’t been able to do. I want to win the American Cup. We have a ton of talent in this league. We should be able to get it done.”

And now, on the eve of his 36th birthday, Mike May enters the game with a league high 199 career saves. Michael Gotts had two hits with three runs batted in, Bret Kunz had a run scoring single, and Evan Alburger added a solo home run in support of a strong start by Adam Price. Price allowed 2 runs on 4 hits over 6 innings before handing it off to the bullpen. When the bottom of the 8th ended, the scoreboard lit up and the sound system blared out “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns ‘N Roses. “I’ve always used that song for my entrance music as a closer. It’s so loud and just amazing. I think it creates a great atmosphere for the crowd and kind of gets me pumped up.”

May had to face the 5, 6, and 7 hitters for Reno. He threw 17 pitches as he struck out the side in order to nail down his 200th career save. The scoreboard focused in on him as he walked to shake his catcher’s hand, flashing the words over the image, Mike May 200 Career Saves.

“I think it’s a great accomplishment, but mainly because it means that my managers and teammates have trusted me enough over the years to keep putting me out there in those situations. The fans have been so supportive too. I love this game and I’m just glad I get to go out there and help my team win.”