Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Red Sox after 1975: a re-write

Growing up in the 70's I was a huge Red Sox fan. Nothing was more heart breaking than seeing my beloved BoSox fall to Big Red Machine in the 7th game of the 1975 World Series. Most frustrating was that this team with so much talent: Lynn, Rice, Evans, Fisk, Yastrzemski, Cooper and so many more, but they would never again make it to fall classic with that core of stars.

So my plan is to pickup in 1976 and see if I can as GM better guide the Olde Town team from Boston to glory long before 2004 (29 years later)

So follow along as I try to get Yaz a ring, Maybe see if Fred Lynn can have the hall of fame career I thought he would have coming off his historic Rookie of the Year and MVP '75 season. And most important can I prevent the upcoming Yankee dynasty of the late 70's ('78 should be fun) and oh yeah the dynasty of '98 on.

* I will most monthly updates as I progress through the seasons.

* I have turned off the amateur draft so historical rookies should start with their real life teams

Alright let's get started
Mac Mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Opening Day 1976

Coming off a World Series appearance I am a little surprised we are not the pre-season favorites.

Also the Top Prospects list was published. The Yankees have a young left hander Ron Guidry in the top 10.

The Red Sox have 3 top 100 prospects: LHP-Rick Jones #22, SS-Steve Dillard #32 and C-Ernie Whitt #36.

Manager Darrell Johnson has his team set. He will be giving the ball to newly acquired Fergie Jenkins to pitch on opening day. Meanwhile in the lineup rookie Butch Hobson beat out the veteran Rico Petrocelli at 3rd base.

It's time to play ball
Old 04-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

And the Red Sox take the field

Injuries hit hard- Fred Lynn will be 2 months with a hamstring injury and Dwight Evans missed half of April with a foot injury.

In 3rd place 3 1/2 back despite a respectable 10-7 record.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

May 1976 Recap

Red Sox had a disapointing May with a 14-13 record and are losing ground to the Indians.

The offense is rolling fine but pitching particularly out of the bullpen has hurt us.

Butch Hobson is an early leader in the race for the AL Rookie of the Year Award. 36 year old Carl Yastrzemski and 23 year old Jim Rice have been outstanding at the plate.

Steve Dillard has taken the starting 2nd base job from Denny Doyle.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

A's Sell 3 Stars at the Trade Deadline

A's owner Charlie Finley fattened his wallet today as he sold 3 of his best players- Rollie Fingers & Joe Rudi to the Red Sox for a million apiece and Vida Blue to the Yankees for 1.5m

There was speculation that baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn would void the deal but sources are now telling us that the deal will go through.

The highlight of the deal for Boston was the acquisition of the veteran reliever Fingers. He will hopefully stabilize the leaky Sox bullpen.

Last edited by Mac Mckenzie; 04-27-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Red Sox Acquire Bob Forsch from The Cards

Boston send Bernie Carbo, Rick Jones and Ernie Whitt to St.Louis for 26 year old starting pitcher Bob Forsch. Forsch was 15 game winner last season and will join Luis Tiant, Fergie Jenkins and Reggie Cleveland in the Red Sox rotation.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

June 1976 Recap

The Red Sox had a solid 18-12 month, but have fallen further behind the Indians and Yankees.

The 2 Star Rookies from last year are heading in 2 entirely different directions. Jim Rice is contending for a Triple Crown and is on pace for 155 rbis! Injuries have limited Fred Lynn to 24 games and he is still looking for his 1st homerun.

Speaking of injuries the Sox took a big hit- losing Dewey Evans for about 3 months.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

1976 All-Star Teams Named

5 Red Sox make the team.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 AM   #9
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

July 1976 Recap

The Sox have been playing the Yankees and Indians tough and are clinging to contention as we head to August.

Had some tough negotiations with Carlton Fisk who was looking for a 10 year contract averaging 367K per season. We were able to come to an agreement on a 3 year deal paying him 425k each year.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

August 1976 Recap

Running out of season and with only 32 games left the Red Sox are a long 8 1/2 games back. Doesn't look like we will be returning to the World Series this year.

Fred Lynn's disastrous 1976 season is over. He torn an abdominal muscle and will miss the rest of the season. It has been a epic drop in productivity for last season's MVP/Rookie of the Year.

In my opinion Jim Rice should beat out Gene Tenace and George Brett and win this season's AL MVP Award.

In the pennant races the Yankees have a 4 game lead on the Indians, while the defending World Champion Cincinnati Reds are trying to fend out the Houston Astros

Old 04-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

End of the 1976 Regular Season

Time for the Playoffs
Old 04-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Just Like in Real Life the Reds defeat the Yankees to win the 1976 World Series.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

1976 Awards

Not certain how Jim Rice didn't win the MVP award, he certainly deserved it.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

League News

Some Manager Changes:
Mets fire Joe Frazier and name Joe Torre Player/Manager
Rangers let go of Frank Luccahesi and then hire Billy Hunter
Brewers part ways with Alex Grammas and bring in George Bamberger
Expansion Seattle Mariners hire Don Zimmer
Expansion Toronto Blue Jays hire Roy Hartsfield
Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Expansion Draft

The Red Sox lose Bill Lee to the Mariners and Joe Rudi & Ken Macha to the Blue Jays
Old 04-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Top Free Agents available

Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Red Sox Off-Season Outlook & Plan

The Red Sox have about $3m available to add talent. Last season was disappointing and part of the reason was our lack of depth both on the mound and on the field. As injuries drained our roster we did not have talented replacements available.

The good news is that we have a decent crop of prospects arriving. Pitchers Don Aase, Bob Stanley and Mike Paxton could play big roles next season. Ted Cox can play both the infield and outfield. Dave Coleman and Sam Bowen will have a tough time finding playing time in the Boston outfield. We also have a pair of catching prospects Andy Merchant and Bo Diaz ready to compete for a big league job.

In free agency I don't anticipate making a big splash. At the top of my list is resigning our own Luis Tiant. I am looking to ink him for 2 years at most for around $300K per season. Other than that I will looking to strengthen the bullpen and bench.

I could entertain trading either Cecil Cooper or Dwight Evans if I could bring back a top starting pitcher.

It's time for me to get to work!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #18
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Off-Season Recap

It was a busy off-season in the Red Sox front office. They added 6 free agents to the team. Lets take a look at the new acquisitions-

SP Luis Tiant- Louie returns on a surprisingly affordable 1yr-100k deal. Will be counted on as one of the top starters in the rotation.

SP Larry Gura- Crafty lefty comes over from Kansas City. The question is will he start or relieve.

RP Tom Burgmeier- 33 year old lefty signed a 2 year deal. Joins Fingers and Willoughby as late inning options.

OF Tom Grieve- The Pittsfield, Mass native has the right-handed power to do some damage at Fenway.

IF/OF Mickey Stanley- Veteran bench player from the Tigers can play 5 positions.

IF Stan Papi- Weak hitting middle infielder provides extra depth at 2B & SS

Other notable signings around the league-
Yankees signed George Hendrick (7yrs-2.5m), Gary Ross (5yrs-1.6m), Bobby Bonds (2yrs-580k), Jimmy Wynn (2yrs-524k), Bert Campaneris (1yr-226k) & Willie McCovey (1yr-55k)

Reds signed Jerry Reuss (2yrs-2.2m), JR Richard (5yrs-1.7m), Mickey Rivers (4yrs-1.6m), Gene Garber (3yrs-1.0m)

Phillies sign Manny Sanguillen (4yrs-1.5m), Rennie Stennett (3yrs-924k), Tommy John (2yrs-812k) & Skip Lockwood (1yr-374k)

Cardinals sign Steve Renko (6yrs-2m) & Earl Williams (3yrs-1.2m)

Dodgers add Ted Simmons (4yrs-1.3m) & Andy Messersmith (2yrs-634k)

Mets sign Bill Robinson (4yrs-1.0m) & Jim Kaat (2yrs-812k)

Angels pick up Ken Brett (6yrs-2.8m)

Pirates sign Rico Carty (2yrs-800k)

There were also a few big trades
The Cubs dealt Rick Reuschel to the Angels for Willie Mays Aikens & Billy Smith

Kansas City sends Frank White to the Tigers for Ray Bare

Kansas City ships Al Cowens to the Dodgers receiving Doug Rau back

Braves trade Darrell Evans to Pittsburgh for Dale Berra & Miguel Dilone

Mets deal John Stearns to Pittsburgh for Doc Medich & Al Holland

Last edited by Mac Mckenzie; 04-28-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 PM   #19
Mac Mckenzie
Minors (Double A)

Opening Day 1977

Quite a Spring Training for the Red Sox they started 14-0 and finished their time in Winter Haven with best in Florida 24-6 record.

The so called experts are picking the Red Sox to win 103 games!!!! Here is look at the predictions. While you looking check out what they expect from the Reds!

Here is the 1977 Top 10 Prospect List

Old 04-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #20
prisonerno6
Major Leagues

Wow! The Reds are predicted to win the West by 32 games!?!
prisonerno6 is offline   Reply With Quote