Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

The American Feeder System OOTP18

The American Feeder System for OOTP18

Version 1.0 release 2 April

The feeder system template is here. This is a large fictional setup which can easily be edited.
http://hnbaleague.com/AMFeederMod-18.zip

This is a quick start of the feeder system linked to MLB 2017
http://hnbaleague.com/MLB-AMFeederQS.zip

This system contains:

1) All NCAA teams for all three NCAA division placed in 2017 Conferences, with actual schedules. (Note: Games across division or against non-NCAA members were replaced as were games listed as TBA).

2) 50 State Association leagues. These leagues are sized so that players reach the ML in a similar proportion to historical percentages. For example, California produces more ML players than any state (more than the next two combined), so it has the most teams. States like Vermont have the smallest number of teams. Representative schedules are provided.

3) The is a quick start which is MLB '17 and independent teams and the American Feeder teams in the universe

4) there is a template for a large American base league. This league is the basis of my on-line/dynasty league.

There are logos for all teams and associations. These logos were not created by me and thus may not be redistributed. They may be used solely for your enjoyment. The NCAA logos came from a basketball game that someone created the logos for (I don't have his name - I'm not even sure which basketball game they came from.). The High School logos came from a variety of sources in the following sequence: The school's website, the baseball team's site, alumni sites, Facebook pages, Wikipedia, newspapers. Thus I have tried to make them as accurate as possible, but they are not original content.
I have also used the fine community work for some of the minor league logos and all the uniforms (there are no unique high school uniforms). Please thank TxRanger, Knuckler, Cephssjames, Isedelyod, justafan and all those who do such a great effort on uniforms as well as logos for this content. Also a special shout out to Cephasjames, as I used his special Michigan league for a unique Rookie league in the American template.

INSTALLING THE AMERICAN FEEDER SYSTEM

Download the file and unzip the contents. There will be six pieces to this mod.

Move the AmerFeeder.wtp file to your OOTP18/World_templates folder.
Move the MLB-AMFeeder.quick folder to your OOTP18/quickstart_games folder. (*)
Move the nine schedules in the schedule folder to your OOTP18/Schedules folder.(*)
Move all the logos (3200+) from the logos folder to you OOTP18/Logos folder.
Move all the jerseys from the jerseys folder to you OOTP18/jerseys folder.
Move all the caps from the ballcaps folder to you OOTP18/ballcaps folder.

(*)If all you downloaded was the mlb quick start, then you only have these items to move to make it function.

Once that is complete you can start a game.

To start from a template:
Go to New Game>Custom Game>Advanced Mode

Once you are at the Create New Game screen, go to Advanced settings and select Import Template. Then select AmerFeeder from the list.

Once the template is loaded you can make what ever changes in the world you want and then create the league. Be patient this will take several minutes.

OR
To start an MLB game go to NewGame>Qucikstart and select MLB-AMFeeder.

Once the game has started, if you started from the template, you need to go to into each NCAA Division and change the MAX player creation age to 19 (so min and Max is 19). Then go into each HS league and change Max player creation age to 15, If you used the quickstart this has already been done.

PERFORMANCE OBSERVATIONS

Obviously this is a lot of leagues/teams/players, which ever approach you use. My machine is fairly large, so I don't see any significant performance issues, but there are couple of bottle necks.

1. In the middle of March, when all the HS leagues start, you will see one day where it will look like it hangs. Even on my machine it is 6 minutes, but it will finish.
2. In late May and early June you will see a lot of creating free agents, this is OOTPs way of re-populating the feeders. They are not really free agents.
3. Depending upon what you end up using for draft length, the First Year player draft is long.
4. In either mode but particularly in the MLB quick start there will be a lot of free agents (undrafted players). I usually go in after the draft and delete the undrafted so that the free agent list doesn't become too unruly. You should also be in the habit of deleting the rookie league players prior to the draft.
Usually players don't spend two seasons in rookie ball. If they can't cut it there they are dropped, if they can they are promoted. This will help you keep the free agent pool lower. The advantage being in the list/filter process. After deleting players from your league, DO NOT DELETE from the database. This will cause huge issues.

One final bug note. I have run several seasons and not seen any significant issues (no crashes). On one test a college team had too few players on it's roster. I don't know how this happened (it can't) and it has not recurred. If you see it go in and assign a couple of 19 YR-old free agents to that team.

PM me with any questions/comments

Enjoy
Commish of the On-Line Dynasty League
SIMBL2 - Westbury Cannons
Great Lakes Baseball - Toledo Neptunes
World Baseball - Guantanamo Marines
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds

Last edited by Bristolduke; 04-02-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: updating the mod
Bristolduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Mr5Nascar
Bat Boy

I love how my H.S. is in here(South Kitsap in Washington). So how did you decide on each one(once you came to a number of HS per state)
Mr5Nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

I started with the concept of 50 schools per state, but needed to re-scale to address the historical view of number of players from each state.

I went to MaxPreps and pulled the top teams for each state to fill the number required.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Thank you for this!! I was originally looking for just a NCAA feeder, but this looks a lot more promising!! And, thank you for adding my high school as well! (Grant Bulldogs) But, how does players moving work? Can HS players go to college and the pros right away? And how can i get the less talented players to go to independent league teams?
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

There are some adjustments which I mention in the readme file. Also, I've been tweaking a bit as I look at OOTP behavior. I would like to add unis but it will take me months to complete I'm afraid.

operational things to consider

1. High School players that are drafted by ML teams but don't sign go to college. (standard functionality)

2. Go to each high school association at under the players tab in league settings, change maximum age to 15 (you can't change it before the game creates because you need a balanced team age wise but after that if you change this variable to 15 you will only get new freshmen going forward)

3). If you want the college playoffs to retain integrity, then move the amateur draft back to the end of June. OOTP removes all the players in the pool (drafted or not) and the NCAA playoffs run until late June.

4. I have been trying to implement a player draft for the colleges, but haven't found a way to implement it yet (I can create the event, but can't get the pool filled). So I have done it manually. Right after the MLB amateur draft OOTP fills all the colleges with players (if you adjust their player creation max age to 19, it will help this process). Go in and find all the 19 year olds in the NCAA and delete them. Then manually draft all the remaining 19 year old free agents (it will be those players not drafted). That will get them in college. (NOTE: the high schools are filled after their playoffs end in late May early June, they release the draft eligible players, so no issues here).

5. I haven't tried independent leagues yet with this, but since undrafted players are free agents, I would assume the independent leagues will start signing them. You could of course do a manual draft. (BTW, After the initial player draft that fills all the teams, I delete all the free agents. They only get in the way. If they aren't drafted in the 216 rounds, they probably have no chance.

There may be other things as I investigate and tweak, but those steps will get you the progression.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
Javedd1993
Bat Boy

Any idea why when I use the template, I end up with empty MLB rosters with no real players? And, how would I fix this?
Javedd1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

The empty rosters is because the template is set for an initial draft. If you uncheck that box in the template before creating the game, it will populate all the teams.

That will still not get historical players. The template is created using the custom game option, which is a fictional game setup. You should be able to import the historical players into the game after the game is created.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Javedd1993
Bat Boy

So there really isn't a way to get the current MLB with farm system and the feeder system? Or at least a way to get it by default?

If there is, could someone explain it or post a link? I'm still new to this game
Javedd1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

Assuming you mean to start a "Standard Game" and then add this template - then the answer is no. You have to recreate a league with this. A Standard doesn't come from a template, when you select that option the game is created. Then you have the option to add feeder leagues. So in essence, you select the standard game option, then manually create all the feeder leagues, then save that file as a quick-start, which could then be used by everyone else.

Also you would have to recreate this every season/release. The existing template functionality does not allow you to append pre-created leagues onto an existing league.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

I am working on an update, cleanup, tweaks, unis, etc, I'll add the standard game file in there. I'll put it in before I start the unis as I expect the unis to take awhile.

Hopefully by the weekend, unless I run into something.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

This is more of a quick update. I have found several differences, the biggest being the PITA league editor. There are some operational differences as well. I will note those in the text files I include.

Bottom line is still working on this version. It is just very tedious.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
Ike348
All Star Starter

Templates aren't backwards compatible, are they? Since 15 doesn't work for me, I still use 14, but I assume this won't work with 14, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

EDIT: answered my own question. (NYIT, NJIT)
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Templates aren't backwards compatible, are they? Since 15 doesn't work for me, I still use 14, but I assume this won't work with 14, right?

Unfortunately that is correct. I tried that to help some testing and it can't be read.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Awesome work! I've always wanted to do something like this myself but just didn't have the time to do it.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #16
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

Version 2 is released.

I cleaned up some of the logos and I added a version which is built on the "Create Standard Game" option. It is a full league. Just move the std-feeder.lg folder to your saved_games folder.

Link is in first post.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 08-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #17
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolduke View Post
Assuming you mean to start a "Standard Game" and then add this template - then the answer is no. You have to recreate a league with this. A Standard doesn't come from a template, when you select that option the game is created. Then you have the option to add feeder leagues. So in essence, you select the standard game option, then manually create all the feeder leagues, then save that file as a quick-start, which could then be used by everyone else.

Also you would have to recreate this every season/release. The existing template functionality does not allow you to append pre-created leagues onto an existing league.
You can add templates to an existing league. You could save the feeder system as a template and then import the template into your existing league.

If I misunderstood your comment, I appologize.
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #18
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

It is not possible to create a feeder only template.
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
battists
Hall Of Famer

Bristolduke,

Amazing work!

I have never used feeders before, but am in the process of attempting to do so. I am playing a totally fictional league, but it's based in the U.S., so I would totally love to have my fictional leagues with real colleges/high schools. The problem is, using the formula in the feeder league guide for how many feeder teams I need, I will only need about 112 teams. I don't know how many teams total are in your template, but it has to be north of 500.

My assumption is that if I create my new game using your template, I will end up with way too many players, and over time the quality of my league will increase more than I want, and there will be billions of FAs. I thought about just trying to add your template and remove some leagues, but of course all of the college teams are in a single league, and removing teams would likely mess up the schedule something fierce. So, do you think there's no way this would fit for me?

Thoughts appreciated!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

It may not be as bad as you think.

Obviously you can delete things. If you delete NCAA teams and have the game generate the schedule. It will play the games much faster (e.g. OOTP will schedule a game almost every day - which the colleges and high schools don't). And the delete various stats (there are actually over 1350 HS teams so yea "slightly" more than 500)

However, there may be another option. OOTP does no do a good job moving the high school players to college. It appears only the drafted HS players who refuse to sign go on to college. The engine then creates 19 year olds at the college level. This leaves thousands (about 4k) of 19 year olds with no place to go. I have tried to incorporate a free agent draft for the NCAA (and delete the ones the engine creates), but it doesn't seem to want to pick up the players. So after your first year player draft, you can go into the FA pool and select all 19 year olds. Then just delete them. There is a lot of quality there, so you would be significantly reducing the quality of your over all pool (Billions?? Really??)

I haven't played beyond 5 years yet in any one test (it's slow and I've had to rework things while putting to together), but I am not yet convinced there is a higher quality universe yet (I ignore stars). The overall stats look about the same, although 5 seasons is clearly too small a sample.

Anyway, eliminating the 19yr olds will bring the number of players in the universe down a lot.

I would be interested in any observations you have running the univers.

Thanks
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds