Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
gotigers
Minors (Rookie Ball)

A Tigers Tale: Birth of a Dynasty V 2.0 (***NEW THREAD***)

Hey all, I'm restarting this thread anew since my computer crashed and I wasn't able to finish what I wanted to do...so here we are again!

Please be sure to follow along!

My name is Danny Edwards, and I am the new GM of the Detroit Tigers organization.

February, 5 2015 10:30am

(phone rings, it's Dave Dombrowski GM of the Detroit Tigers. I've been his assistant for the past five years after my own failed venture into playing baseball)

"Hey Dave, what's up?"

"Danny! Just the man I want to talk to. There is a situation that I'd like to discuss with you."

Manager Brad Ausmus and his Tigers were still smarting from their disappointing first-round exit in the playoffs at the hands of Nelson 'Tiger Killer' Cruz and the Baltimore Orioles and were all away relaxing at home or in the tropics or something. I don't know.

We all watched as our AL central rival Kansas City Royals go all the way to game 7 of the World Series before being shut down by Madison Baumgardner and his San Francisco Giants.

Well, something really struck a nerve with Mike Illitch, owner of the Tigers, and the front office.

"Chris (Christopher Illitch, son of Mike) called me yesterday and asked me to meet him for breakfast. Well, we did, and I'm afraid that there is some good news and bad news."

Perplexed, I said "Well, let's hear the bad news first."

"Well....I'm being relieved of my duties as GM effective March 21st before the season."

I almost dropped the phone...

"Wh...why..what? Hold on..."

"It's true" Dave said "and that's where the good news comes in - you are taking over for me. Mr. Illitch is a very kind, generous man and he wants nothing more than to bring a title to this city, but he is getting very impatient. Don't be discouraged, though. Mr. Illitch has insisted that I remain in the front office and be your mentor, even giving me a raise to do so. Between me, Jim (Leyland, former manager), and Brad...you'll do a fine job. They are all aware of this situation and are on board with it. But I must ask...who ever heard of a guy getting a demotion THEN a raise? Not me. Guess that there IS a first time for everything."

"I dunno Dave, this is too much to take in and just doesn't make sense. I mean come on, I'm 36 and am going to be GM of one of the biggest teams in professional sports? I'm going to get skewered by the press enough as it is."

"Dan, don't be so hard on yourself. You have an absolutely brilliant analytical mind, and you already have a great working relationship with Brad and the Ilitches. With our roles reversed, it could actually work into our favor. This actually lets you do what you were born to do, and that's this. Between you and I, I've been looking at other opportunities like joining the league office. They've been begging me the last few years to join them, but my loyalties have been here. So this can be the perfect point for us to do what we want to do. Don't get me wrong, I love this place and this team, but I can't do this forever. But I have to run. I'll meet you at Metro in a few days before the meetings. I'll text or call you later. Bye."

I sat there for a about ten minutes with the phone still to my ear before I finally set it down. I thought to myself: "Wow...I'm going to be the GM of the Detroit Tigers!"

So it begins...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3855110

Last edited by gotigers; 04-17-2015 at 10:41 PM.
gotigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
gotigers
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Saturday, March 21, 2015
Lakeland, FL
9:30pm

We had just finished up our spring training game a few hours ago against the Mets, when I received a couple of emails. The first was from my wife, and it was an attached picture of myself, Ian Kinsler, and Justin Verlander when we stopped at a kids hospital earlier this winter during the Tigers' Winter Caravan 2015, with the following writeup from The Detroit News:

The second email was from Mr. Mike Ilitch himself, which is huge because he doesn't normally communicate indirectly. But since I'm in Florida for another week while we wrap up Spring Training, I guess he didn't have a choice:

Pretty straightforward goals, I'd say. The man knows what he wants.

Spring training is actually the busiest part of the year for all of us. Scouting, games. More scouting, more games. Calling other teams, etc. Dave and I work very well together, and Brad is probably one of the smartest managers I've ever seen. We all make a great team.

But right now, our focus is starting to shift entirely to the Twins coming to Comerica in a little over two weeks to kick off the season. Brad is 99.9% sure what the opening day lineup will be, so the rest is just our final evaluations of guys.

--------------------------------------

(phone rings...)

"Hello?"

"Danny, how the hell are you? This is Ernest McFarland. Remember me? We briefly met last year in Lakeland as I was scouting for the independent leagues, and I just heard that you were promoted to GM of the Tigers! Congratulations! What happened to Dave Dombrowski?"

"Hey Ernest, yeah I remember you. How have you been? Thanks! Dave is still here, he is functioning as the assistant GM currently. No bad blood, Mr. Ilitch wanted to shake things up around here a bit because he wants that title and is getting a little impatient. Dave wants to do other things, so he actually relishes the decreased responsibility. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I was curious as if you have any openings for in your scouting department. I'm looking to latch onto a big league club, and I've always had a lot of respect for the Tigers organization. I believe that I can be of great use."

"Actually, not right now Ernest. Currently our Scouting Director position is filled by Scott Pleis, and we really like him. However, I'll get back with you and see if there's a position we can find for you."

"Sounds good, Danny. Thanks! This is my cell so please shoot me a text and I'll call you when I can."

"Will do, Ernest. Thanks for the call! Take care."

"Anytime. Later."

I swear I've heard this name before, outside of the brief meeting we had, so I texted Dave and asked him to call me when he can. About 20 minutes later, the phone rang...

"What's up, Danny?"

"Not much, Dave...I got a phone call not too long ago from a guy named Ernest McFarland requesting to join our scouting department. Do you know him?"

You could hear a pin drop on the other end..

"...Ernest McFarland!? THEEE Ernest McFarland!?!? Do you not know who this guy is?"

"I met him once last year, but I don't know him personally. I swear I've heard his name before, but I'm not sure where. Fill me in."

"Well, Danny, this guy is one of the finest talent evaluators I've ever seen but he's always been insistent on scouting the independent leagues. EVERY team, including myself, has been after him for several years but he's rebuffed every request to come up to a major league team. And let me get this straight...he called you out of the blue asking for a job?"

"Yeah, that's right. But what about Scott? He's always been good to us."

"That's very true, Danny. Scott and his family are good friends of mine....but let's face it....I and Mr. Ilitch are tired of having the worst farm system in the majors year after year. I don't want adequate talent, I want TOP talent and I'm tired of guys not panning out. Look at teams like the Cards, Royals, A's....they build from within and rely very little on free agency. We rely almost exclusively on free agency, and that's unsustainable."

"So what are you saying?"

"What I'm saying is that I'm afraid that this an offer that we absolutely cannot pass up. I'll email you his profile. Let me talk to the Ilitches and I'll get back to you."

"Will do, Dave"

And so, about an hour later...

"What's the word, Dave?"

"Mike has given it the thumbs-up! What's Ernest's number? I'll call him and begin negotiations."

'What about Scott?"

"I'll handle that...I'll keep you posted. I'm emailing you his profile now."

"Sure thing, Dave. Talk atcha later."

So a few minutes later, I check my email..

"Alright, let's see what this guy is about...."

"Holy smokes, Dave wasn't kidding. This guy is a badass!"

So for the sake of comparison, I opened Scott's dossier...

I really like Scott, and he's a very nice, upstanding guy. But man...there is a gigantic difference here. You know what you're getting from Scott. But Ernest...rarely do you find someone his age who is so accomplished and such an eagle eye for talent.

So about 45 mins later, Dave calls back...

"Danny, I think we have a deal. 4 years at $900k per year. He said he'll get back to me in a few days."

"Sounds good, keep me in the loop."

"Will do. Talk to you later."

"Later."

I was really concerned for Scott and his family. He'd just signed a new contract with us. Doing this to him just doesn't seem right. But I guess that's the nature of business...particularly this one. Winning is all that matters...

Last edited by gotigers; 04-17-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
gotigers
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Friday, March 27th, 2015
Lakeland, FL

12:35pm

(phone rings, it's Dave Dombrowski...)

"Hey Dave, what's up?"

"Well, Danny...it's official. Ernest McFarland is our new scouting director. He's flying into Tampa tonight and I'm going to pick him up. In the meantime, he sent me a list of domestic and international free agents that he really likes. I've already forwarded it to you for your viewing. We'll get together tomorrow for brunch or something to discuss the basics."

"What about Scott?"

"Scott was pretty hurt and shocked that this situation developed, but when I told him that Mr. Ilitch is buying out the rest of his contract - and then some - for $4m, that helped ease the pain a lot. Scott knows Ernest, and believes that he'll do an excellent job."

I still couldn't get over how it must feel to JUST sign a contract and then get fired, but there's reasons why Mr. Ilitch is one of the most respected owners in any sport. He IS demanding, but he also has a heart and will take care of his team and its people.

"I have a lot of stuff to do before I go to the airport, so I'll get ahold of you when we're back in town."

"Sure thing, Dave. Later."

So again, I checked my email, and looked into the folks Ernie recommended (Ernie's comments are in quotations):

Domestic FAs:

-RP Carlos Marmol "This guy has some of the best stuff in the game, bar none. Control issues though, but I believe that can be resolved. Worth a flyer."

-SS Greg Miclat "I really like this guy, superb defender. Rather middling bat, but I believe that can improve. Worthy of a minor league deal."

-LF Josh Vitters "Decent hitter with some good power, can play both infield and outfield. Definitely worth a look."

-RP Brian Wilson "The Bearded One certainly isn't what he used to be, but I still like his stuff. I think that he can be very useful going forward. Worth a look."

International FAs:

-
2B/3B Pavel Quesada "Good, disciplined hitter that can play all around the diamond."

-
SP Jefferson Vergera "This kid has some potential, stuff doesn't blow me away but he is very consistent and could develop into a middle to back of the rotation guy."

-
SP Yadier Alvarez "I really like this kids stuff. Major league material in a few years as a mid rotation guy."

-
OF Starling Heredia "It's rare in a kid so young (15) that you see SO much potential. Could be a perennial All-Star one day, he loves to swing the bat...hard. Needs to work on plate discipline, however."

-
C Juan Uriarte "Good defensive catcher with balanced plate approach, plus some power. Definite starter tools."

-
1B Lazaro Alonso "Really like this guy, some nice pop. Strikeouts may be a worry, but he can also play outfield. Useful guy to have around."

-
OF Vladimir Guererro Jr. "The name says it all, you don't see many 6'2" 220lb 16 year olds. He looks exactly like his father and bats in the same bare-handed, no batting gloves style. This is one of the best prospects I've seen in years."

-----------------------------------

So I offered each of these guys contracts, keeping Dave and the Ilitches in the loop.

The regular season is approaching, time I need to get with Brad (Ausmus, Tigers manager) and discuss player evaluations.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
gotigers
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Monday, April 6th, 2015
Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan
6:00pm

After a long, cold, snowy winter...regular season baseball is here!

We started off with a 5-2 win in convincing fashion over our old division rival, Minnesota Twins.

David Price showed everybody why he's among the best pitchers in baseball...and why we must re-sign him.

And JD Martinez showed Houston why it was a colossal mistake to let him go...

I really like the look of this team. But it is my job to continually build it so it not only contends, but wins titles.

On the free agency front, everybody with the exception of Marmol, Alvarez, and Guererro Jr. have signed. We predict that we'll able to get them signed here in the next few days. We've also claimed RP Javy Guerra off of waivers from the White Sox.

Here's to 161 more games, and an AL Central title!