Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
mi77ens
Art Director

Art & Design Feedback / Wishlist

Hey all! Hope you're enjoying the game!
I would like to collect your feedback and suggestions on the interface and graphics here and use them as reference when we start working on the next version. Go!
mi77ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Let's start with the obvious:

Go back to OOTP12's font, since it's cleaner and better for a text sim.
Fix the "white text on white background" bugs.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
madJ
Major Leagues

I really do like the classic skin. But there is one issue that is bothering me. When in the screen for lineups or pitching staff using stars as overall ratings, those stars don't have enough contrast to the background. That's at least my opinion. Just give a little more contrast to those star ratings so looking at them gets a bit easier on the eyes.
madJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
koohead
Hall Of Famer

I'll be honest...I've spent hours in the past editing the skins and inserting my custom graphics. This year, the only thing that has bugged me was that dark logo on the player screen. Figured out how to fix that, so I'm very happy with the OOTP13 skin. I use to play the dark skin, but found it "too" dark this time for some reason.
***Edit***
Oh! one thing I thought of...if something could be done with the facegen image for free agents. maybe a random shirt and tie image like what we got for managers instead of the bright white shirt and bright blue cap?

Last edited by koohead; 06-14-2012 at 10:23 AM.
koohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Have the game auto switch out home and away jerseys based on home / away matchups.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
Have the game auto switch out home and away jerseys based on home / away matchups.
That would be a cool addition if possible.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Bring back uniforms for managers.

Fix the HTML. Just awful as is. The standings boxes should be uniform, not one league's standings shorter/longer than the other.

Put a background behind the boxes instead of having them "pop-out". It is extremely difficult to view the html and find the information you are looking for. Did anyone look at the html reports before the game shipped?!? Just horrible and another example of fixing something that wasn't broken.

For all of its improvements, OOTP13 has stepped backward in the online leagues and the HTML area. The HTML is so awful, I may ignore it completely and just look at the results in-game which is completely opposite of what I've done the past 10 years.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
legofarley
Major Leagues

The biggest difference I noticed between 12 and 13 is that 13 is a square window that will not resize. 12 was great because it fit the entire desktop on my pc allowing for up to 6 windows within the transactions screen. I also enjoyed being able to see all the logos more clearly during the playoff brackets.

13 is great, but it could be even better if it would resize to fit my desktop size and I could see 6 of my minor league teams simultaneously within transactions screen.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
As well as change by year
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
kehowey
Major Leagues

I would like too see a larger/OOTP12 font.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
oman19
All Star Starter

The biggest thing I can think of is change the way the major league affiliate team is shown on the minor league teams logo. It just doesn't look right where it's at right now.

I'll also jump on the bring back the uniforms for managers bandwagon and the old text.

Other than that though I really have enjoyed the feel of the game this year. All the skins used feel crisp and love the colors used.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi77ens View Post
Hey all! Hope you're enjoying the game!
I would like to collect your feedback and suggestions on the interface and graphics here and use them as reference when we start working on the next version. Go!
First of all, thanks for asking. This is one reason why this game continues to be great.

Well, you knew I would be checking in here, yes?

Here, a recap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Here are the two OOTP fonts in question [the main screen fonts from OOTP 12 and 13]. Open these font printouts in two Adobe Reader windows, side by side, and use Alt-Tab to flip back and forth between them.

Cras and some others have a problem with columns of numbers not lining up using the OOTP 13 version, and that bothers me too. But what really bothers me is the legibility of the new font.

Take a look at the size 12 lines in each display, flipping back and forth. See how the Droid Sans 'Vera' of OOTP13 is thinner and not as sharp as the Vera Sans of OOTP12?

That is the problem! And this is size 12. It gets worse with sizes 10 and 8, I am sure. No wonder my eyes were bothering me after looking at this font for long stretches at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi77ens View Post
Hello fellows! Sorry, I've been really swamped recently and didn't have time to look at the forum.
We already had some discussions about the new font in the iOOTP forum and I'm aware that some of you are not happy with our choice.
Unfortunately there is not much we can do about it right now, since changing the font is a pretty big thing, design- and code-wise.
Here's a short version of my previous explanation on the font topic:
1. Usability -> We had several good reasons to change the font.
2. The new font (droid sans) IS actually designed for user interfaces and it works quite well so far, from my point of view.
3. There were no major complaints about the font during testing.

There is a monospaced version of droid sans. We will see if we can use it in the future. For now I ask you to be patient and give the new look a chance.
Quote:
I don't think anyone expected you to change it for this version. I know my own purpose in this was for you and your designers to keep it in mind for the future. I repeatedly said in this thread that it was unlikely to be addressed and I said why.

[However, as this is] a text simulation game, the quality of screen font is of great importance. I can tell you that, for me, it will be a primary concern as to whether I continue to purchase future versions of OOTPB. You may like the new droid font. I detest it.

FWIW, of course. I am only one customer. But you have to wonder, how many more share my concern out here? And how may it affect your future sales?
Quote:
You can see from mi77ens' post that I was right in my impression that this is no easy fix (or, let's say, graphic improvement - it's not a bug; more of a "design disagreement" ).

I will say this: It may be a more common complaint and/or area of potential improvement than she realizes. I say this in the knowledge that, for everyone who complained and participated in this thread, there are likely dozens of lurkers who share this complaint and will avail themselves of the workaround that we came up with here [swapping the old OOTP12 font into the OOTP 13 fonts folder and using the dark skin; better but not optimal].
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Bring back the digital font for the scoreboard!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
I'll be honest...I've spent hours in the past editing the skins and inserting my custom graphics. This year, the only thing that has bugged me was that dark logo on the player screen. Figured out how to fix that, so I'm very happy with the OOTP13 skin.
Do tell... I don't like that dark logo either.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Do tell... I don't like that dark logo either.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ackground.html
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Acting on Team Options. When a team option comes due, you are notified via a mail message, which is often buried among dozens of mail messages. Then, when you do find it, you have to move the mouse all the way to the bottom right hand corner of the screen where it says Respond (I think), then a really tiny window pops up above that to accept or decline it.

I think there has to be a better way, but I don't have any suggestions about that.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
Mt Fire Fighter
Major Leagues

OOTP 13 looks really nice in all of the screens except the 'scoreboard' I have a 27" monitor and it is the only xreen i have to scroll down to see all of the games while the left half of the screen is blank. Add a couple of shorter games columns would solve this problem,

Thanks,

John
Mt Fire Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Looking at a player's game log: it always lists the oldest games first, so I have to scroll to the bottom to see the most recent games. I think the games should be listed in reverse order with the newest games at the top.

Getting a personal message while simming: the game takes you to the message screen. If I have a lot of messages, the game always points to the oldest message received (at the bottom) and I have to scroll to the top.

Humorous note: messages are arranged with the most recent at the top, but in this case I still have to scroll to the top. If it's too hard to re-arrange the way the game log is displayed then have the scroll bar start at the bottom like it does for messages

Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The new color scheme doesn't show up well on web reports.

Click on FOOLX reports league history. In order to see the year you have to highlight with ctrl-A and it looks ugly. Compare to Fool reports which are still on 12.

Last edited by bailey; 06-18-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fixing link