Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabez54 View Post
I was so surprised that the Cardinals Organization gave me a great discount for the box seat behind the third base dugout ...

That's COLONELS, my friend. We wear blue uniforms.

Good to see you in your usual seat though. Be sure to stop by the barbershop later.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Red face

Shhheeeesssshhhhh ..

Those Killians ... ...

Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

November 5, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: New Manager for Colonels

The Louisville Colonels have hired Chad Byrne as their manager for next season. The veteran manager was not on the market long after being fired immediately following the 2000 season by the Philadelphia Firebirds.

Byrne, 51, has been named Manager of the Year twice (1990 and 1998). His lifetime record of 1013-770 gives him the highest winning percentage of any active manager with more than 1,000 games. Byrne’s teams have made the playoffs eight times in his eleven seasons.

Byrne announced that former minor league second baseman Stephen Burgess would be his bench coach for next season. Burgess, 38, has no prior managerial experience.

November 11, 2000 (cbatraderumors.com)

Subject: Louisville Coaching Staff Complete

New manager Chad Byrne’s coaching staff vacancies are now filled. The pitching coach will be Barry Melton and the new hitting coach is Harland Bonner. Both men are former minor league players with no previous coaching experience (same as new bench coach Stephen Burgess). Byrne explained that he wanted his coaching staff to be on the same page from the start so that the players got a consistent message.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

November 13, 2000 (cbatraderumors.com)

Subject: Arbitration Updates

News regarding the upcoming arbitration hearings:

Colonels: The Colonels have decided to non-tender RF Marcos Sosa and SP Tom Gilbert. Sosa made $3.5 million in 2000 and has never been more than a bench player. Gilbert did not figure to make the rotation and was out of options. Sosa and Gilbert will now become free agents, along with veteran 1B/3B Shumei Kimura. The Colonels did not make any attempt to retain Kimura, who started 118 games last season with a .279 average, 15 HR, and 50 RBI. The Colonels will offer arbitration to Type B free agents 2B/3B Julian Mejia and LF Ron Schultz, but they are not expected to accept. Louisville will carve $35 million off the payroll if all of these players do indeed become free agents.

November 18, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Louisville Players Receive Contracts via Arbitration

The Commissioner's Office has announced that starting pitcher Ron MacLain has been awarded a new one-year contract worth $4,200,000 in salary arbitration. The arbitrator ruled in favor of the team. The player demanded a salary of $5,250,000.

Pitcher Aurelio Díaz has been awarded a new one-year contract worth $675,000. The arbitrator ruled in favor of the team. The player demanded a salary of $1,125,000.

The Colonels had hoped to sign MacLain to a long-term contract and avoid arbitration, but the two sides were unable to agree on a figure. MacLain’s agent, Scott Boringass, said that his client was looking forward to free agency where he could expect to be paid like similar MLB pitchers, such as Roger Clemens.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #25
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

November 21, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Louisville Sends Closer to Milwaukee for Catcher

Sometimes a change of scenery can be a beneficial to a baseball player. That is the hope in Louisville and Milwaukee as the teams came to an agreement today which sends 27-year-old closer Matt Head, 26-year-old catcher Andrés Guzmán and 32-year-old starting pitcher Ned Hayes to the Eagles in return for 26-year-old catcher Júlio Martínez and 23-year-old first baseman Chris Brown. "Only time will tell if this is the right move for everyone," stated the Milwaukee GM.

Martinez was the Gold Glove catcher in the Federal League last season, and hit .252 with 28 HR and 83 RBI. Martinez will be eligible for free agency after this season, but Louisville GM Otto Orcin was confident that a contract extension could be worked out with his new star catcher.

Brown, a former #1 draft pick, was the #24 prospect in BNN's rankings last season. He had a.299/.382/.598 stat line in 214 at bats with the Eagles in late 2000. Brown is a switch hitter with good power and is expected to start at first base for the Colonels.

The Eagles shored up their pitching staff in the deal and received a promising young catcher to replace Martinez. Hayes will be in the Milwaukee starting rotation and Head will be their closer, while the speedy Guzman is expected to start at catcher and leadoff.

This deal results in a much better starter at two spots in return for an over-priced closer and two players that I would not have used. I jumped to get this deal done ahead of the winter meetings because I was afraid that Milwaukee would sign a free agent to shore up their bullpen and thus eliminate their desire to acquire Head.

Brown was a key to the deal and it took Guzman to get him. They think Guzman can bat leadoff, so their scout must see something that we don’t. If Guzman becomes a star, so be it. I expect Brown and Martinez to give us some much needed protection for slugger Silas Campbell in lineup.

I still have MR Atkins to move for another player or prospects. I also have budget room to sign a free agent if there is someone at the right price that could help us win this year. A lefty starting pitcher would be nice and/or one more good bat in the lineup.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

November 25, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Atkins and Melendez Swapped

The Louisville Colonels and Cincinnati Bobcats have put the finishing touches on a deal that was weeks in the making. Louisville will part with 34-year-old reliever Josh Atkins and $1,000,000 in cash, while the Bobcats have dealt 29-year-old reliever Rodrigo Meléndez. "This one took a while to figure out," said the Louisville general manager. "We must have gone back to the drawing board five or six times over the past few weeks. I'm glad we finally got the deal done. I think it is a good one for both clubs."

In his career Atkins has a 53-52 won-lost record with a 3.16 ERA. In 679 games he has recorded 87 saves, and the 34-year-old has 744 strikeouts in 817.2 innings.

Meléndez has made 312 appearances with 54 saves in his career. His record includes 28 wins and 14 losses with a 3.33 ERA and 420 strikeouts in 368 innings.

Josh Atkins will apparently be the closer for the Cincinnati Bobcats. They had Melendez in the setup role in 2000 but most of those career saves (40) came in 1999 as their closer.

Melendez fits the late-inning lefty role perfectly for us. He has closer stuff in my opinion and can be a second setup man against tough left-handed lineups. He will undoubtedly qualify for free agency by the end of the season, but I hope to negotiate an extension (if he pitches well). This deal saves $3 million in salary this year (at the cost of $1M cash), and probably for next year also based on his arbitration estimate.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The Atkins-Melendez trade saves payroll this year which can be used to sign a second left-handed starter. In fact, I have a free agent offer outstanding.

A second lefty will give me the flexibility to trade 33-year-old Adam Burleigh and his mega-contract. Burleigh has only two injury-free seasons over the past five years – last season being one of them. He is due $12M, $15M and $18M over the next three years. I don’t like the odds on that deal and I think it is a good time to sell high.

There are two potential buyers, Seattle and Providence, both of which have the payroll flexibility and the need. They are both pursuing 37-year-old Mike Moulds, a future Hall of Famer, in the free agent market. Moulds is asking $13.5M per year for five years. Burleigh’s contract doesn’t seem so bad next to that, and both teams have offered attractive talent in a trade for Burleigh. I could wait until one of them lands Moulds and deal with the other with more leverage, but I think it is better to strike first in case one of them finds another free agent option.

(Note: There is a game issue involved here. I cannot execute a trade with either team while they have an offer outstanding to Moulds because they won’t have enough budget room left to take on Burleigh’s salary. I have to make my trade offer now while they don’t have an offer pending. I would have preferred to wait until the winter meetings for cosmetic and realism reasons, but the game mechanics don’t always match my story.)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #28
blazertaz13
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabez54 View Post
ORCINASTIC ...

I was so surprised that the Cardinals Organization gave me a great discount for the box seat behind the third base dugout ... I guess I must've had a reputation while I used to lived in Boston ... anyway, here I am giving my full support and expecting great things ... oops, I got to go ... for I see Gil and Taz ... guess they wanted me to buy Killian or two with them ... catch ya later ...
Jabez, I sure hope we didn't stop at one or two. Glad to see you in the stands, now let's hope we don't kicked out for being too rowdy.

Orcin, once again for the way you are writing this one up. Enjoy reading about some of the thought process and what things you need to think about playing this game.
blazertaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

November 28, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Burleigh for Banks in Big Swap

A major trade has been executed between the Louisville Colonels and Providence Grays, one that has stunned the baseball world. The Colonels traded 33-year-old starting pitcher Adam Burleigh and $1,750,000 in cash to the Grays for 27-year-old right fielder Terrence Banks and 24-year-old center fielder Hugh McGlone. When BNN contacted the Colonels GM, he said, "Putting this deal together was a lot of hard work, but the payoff will be tremendous and Colonels fans ought to be excited about it". The Grays GM added, "We put a lot of thought into this... this trade will win us more ballgames". BNN analysts are up in arms debating who got the better end of the deal.

In his career Burleigh has crafted a 77-59 record with a 3.61 ERA in 1202 innings. Opposing clubs are batting .256 against him and he has rung up 935 strikeouts.

Banks is carrying a .306 lifetime batting average with 56 home runs and 146 RBIs. McGlone hit .329 with 16 home runs at AAA last season, and .331 in 38 games as a late season call-up with the Grays. Banks will play right field for the Colonels and McGlone is slated to start in center field. Veteran star Silas Campbell will move from right to left field, where he is equally comfortable, since Banks has a stronger arm.

I am very excited about this trade! I really upgraded my outfield, albeit at the cost of a fine starting pitcher.

Banks is a high-contact power hitter capable of a .300/.350/.525 stat line and could be an impact player. His left-handed bat will fit nicely behind the right-handed Campbell. He is good defensively with a strong arm. He doesn’t take many walks but doesn’t strike out a lot either. He has better than average speed but doesn’t steal bases well.

McGlone is a left-handed contact hitter with good speed and decent power. He is above average in center field with great range, which is needed to cover for my slower corner outfielders. Harry Hall and Mark Mann, the projected starters in left and center field, will now make excellent fourth and fifth outfielders.

The finances of the deal are really in my favor. I unloaded $45 million in contract commitments on Providence. Banks has two years before he becomes arbitration eligible and McGlone is just a rookie, so I have lots of payroll room now. I must manage my forays into the free agent market carefully in order to retain this budget room for future years. I appear to have a huge surplus for the next two years, but 2003 will be tight if I sign all of my young talent. I remain determined to achieve my personal goal of showing a profit each year.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 6, 2000 (cbatraderumors.com)

Subject: Contract News

Contract updates from around the CBA:

Colonels: Louisville has signed newly-acquired catcher Julio Martinez to a two-year extension for $9M per year, up from the $8M that he will be paid in 2001. Martinez won a Gold Glove in 2000 and is expected to upgrade the position significantly for the Colonels. Louisville also signed free agent catcher Jorge Costa to a one-year major league contract for $900,000. Costa may compete for the backup catcher role, but was probably signed for organizational depth since current backup catcher Rodolphe Murat is signed for two years and has no options remaining.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 8, 2000

Henry and Gordon Cooper had their first review meeting with new GM Otto Orcin just prior to the winter meetings. Henry, usually a very understanding man, had not been impressed by the performance of Gordon’s young protégé so far. Gordon was hoping that Orcin could explain his actions and give Henry some confidence in the new regime.

Henry was not happy that all of the team’s personnel had been fired without a chance to show their abilities to the new boss. These men had served the organization for years and were booted out of their jobs in a midnight massacre. It was publicly embarrassing for the team to treat good people in this manner.

Orcin patiently explained that this sort of thing happened all of the time in sports. There are many examples, including the Philadelphia Firebirds having fired our new manager after posting the same record as our deposed manager. Henry did not seem satisfied with this explanation, but he left the subject by saying that he hoped we would not feel the need to do this sort of thing again anytime soon.

Next, Henry pointed to a recent BNN article that summed up the off-season for each club so far. Louisville was rated as middle of the pack, with more losses than gains. Henry wanted to know how Orcin could explain this. He was brought in to take the team in a new direction, but the chairman expected that direction to be up.

Orcin pointed out that the article, based on the concept of “wins” gained vs. lost, was very misleading. It uses last year’s statistics, not next year’s statistics, so it is not giving the new young players in our lineup enough credit. The Colonels let several older players become free agents, shedding massive chunks of payroll in the process but naturally losing a few “wins” in the raw numbers. Several good young players have been acquired in trades for expensive veterans. The “wins” gained exceeded the loss in every trade, and that surplus budget is now available to fill any gaps via free agency.

Orcin assured his bosses that the new players would perform better than the old players this year and for years to come. The payroll flexibility will be there to sign the key young players to contract extensions, building a core of players that would form a perennial contender and build loyalty among the fan base.

Henry nodded and agreed that the logic was sound. He closed the meeting by saying that the “proof was in the pudding”. The performance of these new young players on the field next season would prove Orcin’s strategy was sound – or not.

Orcin left the meeting with the thought that a veteran free agent signing at the winter meetings wouldn’t hurt. Why leave that budget surplus for his replacement?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 10, 2000

I am in my hotel room and the winter meetings open tomorrow. It is my first time here, and most of the GM’s look at me as if I were the bellhop. A couple of them have spoken with me over the phone, and they were surprised by how young and handsome I am.

I have spent the past few days in an uncertain state. I believe that we have a better team now than last year’s division winner. But is winning the division again enough? That’s not why Gordon hired me. He wants a title. Our team’s disposition is clearly “win now”, even though we have tried to conceal that from the rest of the league so far by remaining “neutral”.

My personal disposition is win now and next year and the next year after that. I want to build a perennial contender with a stable budget, annual profit, and young talent ready to take over when older players get too expensive. That’s how a small market team can be competitive over the long haul.

I have a whopping budget surplus at the moment after purging some high-priced mediocre veterans. (I find it interesting, by the way, that those veterans have yet to be signed by another club.) I arrive at the winter meetings with a bag of money, and that reality is not lost on the player agents in the hotel. They apparently circulated a picture of me because every agent seems to know the Louisville GM at first sight.

My dilemma is this… there are a few free agents that could really help us, maybe put us over the top. I can afford one or two them now but, as my core of young players reach arbitration and free agent status, the extra payroll could be a burden. It’s too early in the free agent season to entice these star players into a one-year “build value” deal, and my concern is that they may not stay on the market much longer.

So, do I sign them? There’s another catch besides the money. Some of these players are “Type-A” free agents and signing them would cost me a high draft pick. Giving up high draft picks is not consistent with a “build young talent” philosophy. I am robbing Peter to pay Paul, and Peter is my future.

I will hit the trading floor tomorrow morning, and he who hesitates is lost. I must come to a decision now, and stick to it. If it is yes, I need to make strong offers to the players that I want and close the deal. If no, I need to avoid temptation – at least until spring training is near and one of more of the target players is interested in a one-year deal.

Otto Orcin
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 11, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Veteran SP Elliott, Louisville Reportedly in Talks

Jacob Elliott told a small gathering of reporters this afternoon that the fans in Louisville "really get behind you" and would be "a pleasure to play for."

Trouble is, Elliott hasn't got a deal with Louisville yet, leading to speculation about where the 31-year-old will end up pitching next year.

Elliott is 80-38 with a 2.59 ERA over his past five seasons with the Houston Stars.

Elliott is the best free agent pitcher on the market. He is a front-of-the-rotation ace. He would make our pitching staff among the best in the league, if not the best. At age 31, he should have several good years left.

I crunched the numbers and there is a lot of payroll flexibility this year and next. Year 3 begins to look tight, and year 4 is loaded with potential obligations to young players. So, I made a very creative bid to Elliott, offering him a three-year contract at $18M in 2001, $12M in 2002, and $10M in 2003. His agent laughed at me.

Elliott is likely to get a lot more than $40M, and probably won’t want to take a chance on finding another good contract at age 34. It was worth a shot.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #34
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 13, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Washington Makes Big Splash in Free Agency

Rumors of a deal between Jesús Velásquez and Washington finally bore fruit today as the two sides faced a packed press corps. Admirals officials looked very pleased as they outlined the terms of the new deal.

Velásquez will earn $12,450,000 per year for 4 years, and is expected to make a solid addition to his new club.

In his career Velásquez is batting .290 with 1100 hits, 28 home runs, 553 runs scored and 331 RBIs.

Velasquez was another of my targets. He is a great third baseman that can hit at the top of the order. I made a very competitive offer of $12M/year for three years, but he insisted on four years and I just couldn’t do it. I'll miss him, but I will just have to find another option internally. It opens the door for scouting director Candelaria’s favorite prospect, young Juan Aponte, to earn the job in the spring.

Now it is really time to push for pitching because there are no offense players left on my wish list.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 15, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Winter Meetings End

With the Winter Meetings winding down today, teams have one last chance to meet with possible free agents, discuss trades with potential partners or sit back and quietly formulate a more current strategy for the rest of the offseason in the wake of what has transpired.

Elliott would not accept my new offer of $36M for two years. The other pitchers, one of whom was a Type-A, had prior year ERA’s right around the league average and wanted $10M per year. I refused to over-pay for mediocre pitching, so I did not sign anyone.

I made a three-year offer at $3M per year to a roughly equivalent pitcher one month ago, and it has yet to be declined. I decided to wait on that one and see if any of the other candidates would be willing to take a one-year deal later. I have an offer out to another free agent starting pitcher that other teams may have overlooked because he is labeled a reliever. He has three good pitches and good stamina, but a spotty record.

By the way, there were a lot of trades and free agent signings at the winter meetings and in the weeks since the season ended. It is my style to primarily report on only those events that affect my team. I have tried reporting on the whole league before, and it quickly becomes drudgery for me.

Many dynasty writers focus on the league as the purpose of the story, and their team plays a role. It’s a good style and I enjoy reading them. I prefer to write about my team at a micro level – sort of a one-man play. The league and the other teams are props. The advantage is that the reader gets more insight into the player’s thought process about the decisions that shape the team. But another team’s no-hitter or great trade might be overlooked. Sorry in advance for that.

The dynasty report has to be enjoyable for the writer or they don’t last long. So you will just have to settle for this style or none at all.

(Hey wait… we’re not taking votes here… “None at all” was not seriously a choice.)
Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Excellent trades orchestrated by the "how young and handsome I am" ... ...

This is by far ... very deep and a step by step journal report ... then all the other Dynasty Reports you have written in the past ... ... more enhancements comes into play that has made you a better GM than ever before ... Great stories, mate ...

We'll toned it down, Taz ... where's Gil ...
Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
golander40
Major Leagues

"Lurking"

"Lurking" as usual---Trying to stay out of trouble( Not easy for me to do)--- Really enjoy following a Dynasty--that I'm Farrrr to lazy to attempt)
Gil The Ancient One
golander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 19, 2000 (cbatraderumors.com)

Subject: Colonels Sign SP Ed Gibson

The Louisville Colonels have signed starting pitcher Ed Gibson to a one-year contract for $750,000. Gibson has a career record of 53-69 with a 5.01 ERA. Gibson’s best season was 1996, where he was 16-16 with a 4.21 ERA for Philadelphia. He pitched a no-hitter vs. the Atlanta Flames in 1997. He was awarded a one-year contract for $6M in arbitration for 1998, but had a couple of poor years marred by injuries and was released by the Firebirds
after the 1999 season. He pitched in the bullpen for Los Angeles in 2000.

Gibson’s agent claims Ed is healthy again and ready to be an effective major league starter for lucky Louisville. Colonels’ GM Otto Orcin said that Gibson will compete for the fifth starter spot with incumbents Andrew Clark, Jim Poole, Ron Sims, and Hector Ortiz. When reminded that the Colonels only have two returning starters after the trade of Adam Burleigh and therefore also needed a third and fourth starter, Orcin merely winked.

Four days later…

December 23, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Colonels Land SP Martinez

Louisville announced the signing of left-handed starting pitcher Ricardo Martínez earlier today, ending speculation on who they would acquire to fill the void at that position created by the trade of Adam Burleigh to Providence.

Martínez will earn $6,200,000 over the first two years of the deal. The third year is a non-guaranteed team option for $3,500,000 with no buyout.

To date in his career Martínez is 61-69 with an ERA of 4.47 and 1104 strikeouts. Last year, Martinez was 12-15 with a 4.34 ERA for the St. Louis Hawks.

GM Otto Orcin pointed to a high strikeout total (8.5K/9ip), a good 2.4K/BB ratio, and a 54% GB ratio as reasons that Martinez would have a better year in 2001. However, Orcin conveniently overlooked the 37 home runs surrendered by Martinez last season, the fifth-highest total in the CBA.

P.S. It is not true that the Colonels have exceeded the allowable number of players on their active roster named Martinez. Anyone that has played OOTP12 knows that there is no limit.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

December 25, 2000 (BNN)

Subject: Boston Announces Deal for Veteran SP

Feedback was positive in Boston today as the club announced an agreement with starting pitcher Jacob Elliott, one of the league's marquee players.

Elliott has chalked up a lifetime ERA of 3.09 with 151 victories and 91 defeats. He has totaled 1713 career strikeouts in 2227.2 innings while holding opponents to a .241 batting average.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed but sources tell BNN that Elliott received a five-year contract worth $98 million. Merry Christmas!

My final offer to Elliott was 2 years, $40 million. It was obviously not enough, but I was not willing to compromise future years. The good news is that he is off the market and I can turn my attention elsewhere.

There are still good starting pitchers available and I am not completely sold on Sims. He must recover from his injury and improve on his 1999 performance to be a respectable fourth starter. I think he needs a partial year at AAA but I may be forced to use him if I can’t get someone better.

I can make a very competitive one or two year offer to a free agent. The problem is that all of the remaining quality starters are Type-A free agents and not worth the sacrifice of a high draft pick. I can also trade for potential Type-A/B free agents without regard for current year salary and gain a draft pick when they leave, but that market is very limited.

I am still inclined to wait until spring training to see if the starting pitching and lineup are good enough to win before making any more free agent moves. I won’t be pressured into a bad contract. I will search the trade market though, looking for a team that wants a package of my expendable players for one good asset. Tough sell, but what else do I have to do until spring?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Four dull weeks later…

January 22, 2001

I finally gave in and bid on a Type-A starting pitcher. I will receive a supplemental pick for Ron Schultz if he signs somewhere and that will compensate for the pick sacrificed by signing a Type-A free agent.

Alfredo Gonzalez is 37 years old. He has pitched for the New York Monarchs from 1985-2000. He has a career record of 203-197 (eighth all-time in wins) with a 3.44 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP. He has 3,033 career strikeouts (sixth all-time). Last season, he was 15-13 with a 4.01 ERA. Since 1986, he has never failed to pitch at least 200 innings.

Gonzalez is an innings-eater that keeps his team in the game. He is also extremely popular and fans will come to see him pitch. Think Roger Clemens with the Astros toward the end of his career. He wants a one-year contract at slightly over $5 million. I offered $6 million (with no bonuses).

To heck with the draft pick… my boss wants a title!

Otto Orcin