Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

Optimized bullpen

Has anybody tested the optimal number of starting pitching in the bullpen?

I was slow to incorporate it into my strategy in 19, but in 20 I have had great success in moving my 6th best starter in the bullpen. I am now thinking maybe a 2nd starter should go into the pen as well, especially as pitchers seem to get fatigued at a higher level in 20.

Anybody have results to share of 2 or more starters in the pen, especially at the higher levels?
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

I think it depends on the quality of the excess starting pitchers you have vs. the quality of relief pitchers that you have. I would imagine a bullpen of all "starters" would be possible if you have that many good starting pitchers.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
humboldt1498
Minors (Triple A)

What is optimal completely depends on the make up of your team and your team strategy.
humboldt1498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
daves
Hall Of Famer

I have at least 3 or more staters in my bullpen. Players like Ryan Koufax and Feller are excellent setup men, some teams I only have one true reliever.

Putting Staters in your bullpen gives you better flexibility. If a stater is struggling in your rotation, move your bullpen and maybe that starter you took out of your rotation would be a help in relief?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I think if you have an unlimited budget, there's no max number of starters you can put in your pen. They can throw more innings than relief pitchers, and gain extra stuff from converting to relief, so why not?

I think the more relevant question for most players is: Does it make sense to pay SP prices for someone to throw half as many innings (at best)?
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Goliathus
Major Leagues

I think it depends on how you upgrade your teams. I find myself upgrading my SPs constantly and my old SPs then get relegated to the bullpen. Sounds very MLB to me, cuz I am sure a lot of the MLB relievers are true aces of their high schools and colleges.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Keep in mind, though, that the best relievers are going to be better than good starters converted to relievers.

I personally try to have at least one starting pitcher in the bullpen for all my teams, set as a long reliever. The reason is that the game will almost never put in any other reliever for more than 2 innings... and in a game where the starter gets pulled early that can tire out your pen unless you have a "real" long reliever (i.e. a starter) that can go longer. I have seen games where my SP goes 4 innings and my SP in the pen (as a long reliever) goes 5 innings.

I usually use a "good" SP in that role (usually my four "best" starters are SP 1-4, then my fifth best is my LR, and then the next best is my fifth starter), and also set him to be used in high leverage situations. He will almost always have over 100 innings in relief during the year. It also helps to make sure that he is a pitcher who gains 7 or more points in stuff when converted to an RP.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
chazzycat
All Star Starter

The "stopper" role is also quite well suited to converted starters, IMO. If you set them to 7th inning, they will pitch 3 inning saves.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote