Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:51 PM   #21
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2024 review

105 wins? Not good enough for owner John Middleton.

"Look, I don't care if he won a thousand games," Middleton said. "All I care about is championships. And seeing how flat we looked in the World Series, I knew it was time to make a change."

Gabe Kapler was out as manager of the Phillies after seven seasons with the Phillies. He compiled a record of 526-446 overall, bouncing back from a 100-loss season with a World Series title in 2020, and leading the team to four playoff appearances. However, he was dogged by criticism that the team quit on him in the World Series after a four-game sweep at the hands of the Toronto Blue Jays. General manager Matt Klentak was also let go.

"Look, Gabe was a great manager," said Bryce Harper after the final game of the season. "I couldn't say enough positive things about my experiences with him."

Harper won his third NL MVP Award, hitting .288 with a .408 on-base percentage, 38 home runs, and 121 RBI. He led the league in on-base percentage and slugging percentage. And he wasn't the only Phillie to show some firepower, with third baseman Nonie Williams cracking 44 home runs and driving in 129.

Aroldis Chapman took home some hardware too, winning the Reliever of the Year after posting an 0.90 ERA in 84 innings in a setup role, with the Phils' other setup man Seranthony Dominguez coming in second in the voting.

Where will the Phils turn next in the front office? They've hired little-known Dave Schnapler, who looks suspiciously like Kapler did, albeit with a mustache. The new general manager is Pat Blentak, also an unknown in baseball circles.

Blentak has already made some aggressive moves, signing youngsters Williams and Jansiel Rivera to long-term extensions that will buy out their first few free agent years. He'll have his hands full repleting the rotation, as Trevor Bauer (15-3, 2.75) will hit free agency, and Chris Sale will not return due to injury.

Can the Phillies take the next step under Schnapler and Blentak? Harper thinks so. "I like what I've seen so far," he said. "Their approach seems pretty similar to Kapler and Klentak, and I was comfortable with those guys. We've just gotta keep up the momentum all the way through the postseason."
Attached Images
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:03 AM   #22
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2025 preview

How does a 105-win team get better? That was new general manager Pat Blentak's conundrum.

Blentak, who looks strikingly like former general manager Matt Klentak with glasses on, spoke frankly with the media. "It's hard to sit back and let a guy like Trevor Bauer walk out the door," Blentak said. "He gave us a couple of great seasons, but I wasn't going to pay a 34-year-old pitcher $40 million a year." Blentak ended up picking up two premiere pitchers to head the rotation, Julio Urias and Michael Kopech. Urias signed for $18 million with a vesting option for a second year at the same price. That would be a bargain if he makes it through the season, which hasn't been easy for Urias these last few years. And Kopech will earn $28 million per year for the next four seasons. Both pitchers are 28, and in Blentak's view, much less likely to decline than Bauer would be.

Blentak also supplemented the team with several trades. Pitcher Joey Lucchesi was acquired from San Diego for a low-level minor leaguer; Lucchesi makes $15 million, but San Diego will pick up a quarter of that. And Blentak was chastened by losing Seranthony Dominguez in free agency, so picked him right back up from the Cubs for a minor leaguer, as it seemed Chicago didn't really want him in the first place. Finally, he swapped outfielder Brennen Davis for infielder Kevin Maldonado and pitcher Jorge Serrano. The 25-year-old Serrano was the #2 overall pick in the draft just two seasons ago and is the Phillies' top prospect at #48 overall.

Not much tinkering was needed for what was the best offense in the National League last season. The core of Bryce Harper, Michiomi Nakamura, Nonie Williams and Jansiel Rivera are all under contract for at least the next five seasons. Spencer Smith, acquired from Baltimore in a trade, will start at catcher, though if his defense is found lacking, last year's starter Nick Meyer will be ready to relieve him.

The Phillies are again favored to win the division- the only question is whether the new regimen can break through to win another title.
Attached Images
Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #23
TigsOs
Bat Boy

Thank you for this series

It's been fun to read!
TigsOs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #24
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2025 midseason

The Phillies jumped out of the gate slowly, but boy, did they ever turn things on in June, going 32-8 since May 31. They've opened up a 5-1/2 game lead in the competitive NL East.

It's a real testament to new manager Dave Schnapler's style. "I just try to put guys in a position where they can succeed," said Schnapler. "Getting the matchups I want, having guys rested and ready to play. And it helps to have the best team in baseball."

The Phillies have proven themselves to be excellent in the regular season. The question will be whether they can continue that momentum in the playoffs.

Bryce Harper has been having yet another monster season, hitting .260 with 27 home runs and 66 RBI. He won the NL Player of the Month in June, and had a home run streak of five games and an RBI streak of seven games. Meanwhile, Jansiel Rivera has taken his game to the next level, hitting .311 with 22 home runs and 71 RBI; maybe former Matt Klentak was right after all for trading star Alfredo Morales to acquire him.

The new pitching acquisitions have proven to be adequate replacements for Trevor Bauer, with Julio Urias posting a 2.88 ERA, and Michael Kopech going 10-4 with a 3.03 ERA.

This remains a team without many holes. Will Schnapler and Blentak succeed where Kapler and Klentak failed? Only time will tell.
Attached Images
Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #25
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2025 review

New management. Same result. The Phillies won 104 games and advanced to the World Series, but lost in six games to the Houston Astros. New manager Dave Schnapler was crestfallen. "We had a lot of momentum going into the series," Schnapler said, after the team won a thrilling seven-game series against the 106-win Padres. But the Astros, who had won only 90 games in the regular season, had the Phillies' number.

Schnapler won the NL Manager of the Year, and was a welcome change from erstwhile skipper Gabe Kapler. His contract was extended by owner John Middleton.

Bryce Harper, the longtime linchpin of the Phillies offense, had yet another outstanding season, winning his fourth NL MVP Award after hitting .256 with a .392 on-base percentage, hitting a league-leading 44 home runs, and driving in 117. Jansiel Rivera finished second in the voting, hitting .294 with a .397 OBP, 40 home runs and 109 RBI. The Phillies once again led the league in runs scored.

Julio Urias missed time here and there with injuries, but he was able to give the team 27 starts with a 2.91 ERA, and met the vesting criteria in his contract to return next season. Michael Kopech had a strong first campaign in a Phillies uniform, going 15-7 with a 3.48 ERA. And youngsters Starlyn Castillo and Jorge Serrano look to have bright futures in the club's rotation.

What's next for the Phillies? Probably more winning, but majority owner John Middleton remains disappointed with the team's lack of championship. "This pattern is not acceptable to me," said Middleton. "Nothing short of another World Series championship is OK with me."
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #26
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2026 preview

Not much has changed with the Phillies as they head into 2026. The goal is the same: get John Middleton and Bryce Harper another championship.

"I'm ready," said Harper. "I've been in this game a long time now, and I think this might be the best team I've been with yet." That's a lot coming from Harper, who's been with winning teams in every year of his career except for one, though he has only one championship to his name. Midway through his $330 million contract, he's been worth every penny to the Phillies, compiling 44.6 WAR over seven seasons.

The biggest acquisition of the offseason was international free agent Kinya Hatanaka, who signed for three years at $9.5 million per season to play shortstop. Hatanaka and Michiomi Nakamura combine to form an all-Japanese middle infield. The Phils also signed a couple more ace relievers to add to their pile, Riley Ferrell and DeMarcus Evans, while Aroldis Chapman and Matt Barnes left as free agents.

As usual, the Phillies are projected to win the NL East, albeit with some competition from the Washington Nationals. Pitchers Julio Urias and Clarke Schmidt will start the season on the IL, but should return soon, and top prospect Luis Ocon will start the season in Lehigh Valley until his defense has magically "improved" in a month or two.

All in all, it looks like another exciting season to watch, but only time with tell if the club can finally return the championship to Philadelphia.
Attached Images
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #27
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2026 midseason

The Phillies have suffered through quite a few injuries this season, but they've kicked their season into overdrive in July, winning 10 games by the All-Star break and leaving them with a 51-38 record. That's still a game behind the Nationals for first place in the division.

"We expect to make up that ground," said third baseman Nonie Williams, one of three Phillies who have reached 20 home runs by this point. "The big question is can we finish our season with a win rather than a loss."

The injuries have hit the pitching staff particularly hard, with Michael Kopech and Luis Urias both spending a fair bit of time on the IL, and Clarke Schmidt and Jose Alvarado both lost for the season. But it's a deep enough staff that the Phillies have been able to weather these injuries, and as usual, it's the best bullpen in baseball, with a 2.97 ERA.

Jansiel Rivera continued his uptick in production from last season with a .299 average, 25 home runs, and 62 RBI. And Starlyn Castillo has emerged as a third staff ace in lieu of Kopech and Urias, going 6-2 with a 1.94 ERA.

The Phillies have been in this position many times before, and they're eager to see if they can change how the story turns out.
Attached Images
Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #28
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2026 review

The Phillies are World Champions of Baseball once again! The club slashed through the postseason in impressive fashion, going 13-1, including four-game sweeps of the 97-win San Diego Padres in the League Championship Series and the 95-win Cleveland Indians in the World Series, not to mention a victory over the 102-win Atlanta Braves in the Division Series. It was the second championship of the Bryce Harper and John Middleton era, and the fourth overall in club history.

The World Series was a truly impressive affair for the Phils. They won the first game in 20 innings- the longest World Series game of all time- when backup catcher Nick Meyer hit a walk-off three-run home run to make the final score 8-5. The depleted Indians bullpen had little left for the rest of the series, and the Phils won the second game 8-1 and the third 18-0. The final game was just a formality, a 6-1 win behind Jorge Serrano. Harper had seven hits and two home runs in the series to win MVP honors.

Manager Dave Schnapler won his second straight Manager of the Year Award, leading the club to a 97-65 record, though that was only good for second place in the NL East behind the Washington Nationals. Shortstop Kinya Hatanaka was the NL Rookie of the Year, hitting .272 with 25 home runs and 98 RBI. Jansiel Rivera had another monster season, finishing second in the MVP voting with a .291 average, 48 home runs and 118 RBI, and Harper had a typically good year (.256/34/81), if not up to his MVP standards.

On the mound, Julio Urias was excellent (7-4, 2.97) and was rewarded with a six-year extension worth $160 million. Michael Kopech (10-5, 3.24) and Starlyn Castillo (10-7, 3.21) were excellent as well.

"I'm so proud of our guys," said an ebullient Harper. "This was just a complete team, and I'm so glad we were able to do what I knew we were capable of in the postseason. I just hope we don't have to wait as long for the next one this time around."
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #29
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2027 preview

Bryce Harper has just five years left on his 13-year Phillies contract, and he's looking to add more rings. "Winning again last year just got me hungry for more," Harper said. At 34, he's not quite as fast as he used to be, but his bat remains as powerful as ever.

The Phils will have a slightly different defensive alignment this season, with Jansiel Rivera manning left field, Logan Wyatt moving to DH, Nonie Williams covering first base, and new free agent acquisition Miguel Andujar taking over at third- for now. "We'll see how it goes," two-time NL Manager of the Year Dave Schnapler said. "We've got plenty of flexibility and can always go back to what we were doing before."

Center fielder Reese Albert suffered an injury at the end of spring training that will take him out for the first half of the year. Rookie Juan Andrade, who came over in a trade with the Kansas City Royals for reliever Sean Leahy, will take over the starting job for now. The Phils also brought back reserves Adam Haseley and Jimmy Glowenke from their World Series-winning team, albeit at lower salaries.

The bullpen will look a bit different, with both Seranthony Dominguez and Edwin Diaz leaving for big contracts. But midseason acquisitions Corey Knebel and Junior Fernandez both agreed to return to Philadelphia. And the top of the rotation- Julio Urias, Michael Kopech and Starlyn Castillo- is as strong as the glory days of Aaron Nola, Chris Sale and Gerrit Cole.

"I'm expecting these guys to win it all again this year," said owner John Middleton. "I just don't know who could take us down."
Attached Images
Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2027 midseason

Are the Phillies suffering from a championship hangover? Or are they pressing too much to try to win again?

"I know I'm guilty of pressing," said Bryce Harper, hitting just .222 this season. He downplayed reports that he was frustrated with hitting second in the lineup rather than his traditional fourth. "Doesn't matter to me. I'll do whatever I can to help the team win. I do think we've got a better chance to do that when I'm hitting fourth than second, though."

Harper wasn't the only Phillie to slump this season. Logan Wyatt, Jansiel Rivera, Michiomi Nakamura and Kinya Hatanaka have all been playing well below their usual standards. Thankfully, new acquisitions Juan Andrade and Miguel Andujar have both been playing out of their minds to help bring the offense up to vaguely average.

The pitching's been quite good, with the bullpen outstanding as usual. But the rotation was dealt a huge blow with Julio Urias out for the season with a partially torn UCL. The hope is that he'll be able to return by the middle of next season. The Phils hope their $160 million investment won't turn out to be a total loss, but certainly they knew Urias was at high risk for injury when he signed that deal.

Rumors are that the 29-year-old Wyatt, now in his fifth year with the Phils, is headed to the White Sox for starter Francis Martes and reliever Sergio Miramontes. Martes would help to fill the hole in the rotation left by Urias, and the loss of Wyatt would allow top prospect Luis Ocon to finally join the lineup.

The Phillies sit a half-game behind the feisty Montreal Expos for first place in the NL East. They certainly expect to overtake them, but the ever-dangerous Nationals are nipping at their heels as well, and the Phillies certainly haven't forgotten that the Nats are the defending NL East champions. "To be honest, we don't like them much," said starter Michael Kopech. "I'd love to beat them in the regular season and in the playoffs."
Attached Images
Old 03-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #31
RMc
All Star Starter

What do the divisions look like now? Was there an AL expansion team along with the Expos?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #32
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2027 review

Not all seasons can end in a championship. The Phils waltzed into the postseason with a 21-10 record after August, but they were quickly bounced by the Miami Marlins in the Wild Card Series, two games to none. The surprising Marlins, who were just 85-77 in the regular season, went on to defeat the Tampa Bay Rays in seven games in an all-Florida World Series.

"It's disappointing," said outfielder Bryce Harper. "We expect better, but anything can happen in a short series like that. But honestly, we left ourselves vulnerable by not getting the first-round bye."

Now 35 years old, Harper put together his worst overall season as a Phillie, hitting .216 with 30 home runs. He's still under contract for four more seasons and $92 million.

The Phillies did manage to win 93 games overall, and easily took the division, finishing nine games ahead of the Expos. Center fielder Juan Andrade was a bright spot, hitting .316 with 22 home runs en route to winning the Nl Rookie of the Year. As always, the bullpen was fantastic, and Riley Ferrell was the NL Reliever of the Year, saving 43 games with a 2.37 ERA.

But offensively, the team looked weaker than it has in years. Nonie Williams, Michiomi Nakamura and Kinya Hatanaka all had down years with the bat, and highly-touted rookie Luis Ocon hit just .226.

Perhaps the early exit from the postseason will do the club some good as it rests and recovers for 2028. Pitcher Julio Urias is expected to rejoin the club around May or June as he recovers from his UCL tear, and with Michael Kopech, Jorge Serrano and Starlyn Castillo, the rotation should be in great shape once again.

"We'll be ready to go out and get 'em next year," said manager Dave Schnapler.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #33
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2028 preview

Are the Phillies getting too old?

Certainly there are reasons to think so. Bryce Harper is no spring chicken, at 35 years old. The middle infield combination of Michiomi Nakamura and Kinya Hatanaka are 33 and 32, respectively. The vaunted bullpen has five arms that are 31 or older, including 34-year-old closer Riley Ferrell.

"I don't really think of it that way," said Harper. "We've got a lot of miles on us, collectively, but I think of it as experienced rather than old. And a lot of these guys have some rings already."

Not everyone on the team is old. 24-year-old Luis Ocon is expected to play a larger role this year, and 24-year-old Chris Becker is slated to take over third base. And 25-year-old Rule 5 pick Austin Bode will take over part-time catching duties.

The other worry for the club is that there are some contracts that aren't looking so healthy. Harper is still owed $92 million over the next four years, Nakamura makes $62 million over the next two, and Nonie Williams makes $44 million. Julio Urias has returned early from his UCL injury, but his velocity is down a bit, and he's got $135 million left on his deal over the next five years.

Those are all worries for the future. But the Phillies are more worried about the right now. "We've got a lot going for us," said general manager Pat Blentak. "We've got a good shot at taking the division again, and we've just gotta do a better job in the playoffs."
Attached Images
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #34
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2028 midseason

It hasn't alway been pretty, but a 20-8 May has propelled the Phils to a 52-36 record and a nine-game lead in a surprisingly weak NL East. First baseman Nonie Williams has paced the offense with a .304 average, 24 home runs and 71 RBI in an impressive comeback from last season. "We know what we need to do," said Williams. "We're on a great pace, and hopefully we catch a hot streak in the playoffs like two years ago."

Julio Urias unfortunately is injured once again, this time with shoulder impingement. He's slated to return by the end of the season, but it's clear that he's not the pitcher he once was. "It's really disappointing," said Urias. "More than anything, I want to be out there on the field contributing."

The best moment of the season was Bryce Harper hitting his 500th career home run. It was his first home run of the season, but he had to wait a while to get it, as he did not homer in his first 14 games of the season, though he's picked up the pace since then and now has 19.

Once again, the Phils' bullpen is the best in baseball, and three relievers made the All-Star team: DeMarcus Evans, Junior Fernandez, and Steve Squibbs. It seems like no matter who Pat Blentak plugs in, they turn out to be great. "I think we have a good process in determining who we bring in, and that's turned into good results," said Blentak.

The coast is fairly clear for the Phils to reach the postseason once again. They hope the result this year is better once they get there.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-27-2019, 11:11 PM   #35
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2028 review

It was a tough end to the season, but at least the Phillies could say they lost to the better team. The San Francisco Giants put together quite a season, winning 106 games and taking the World Series in six games against the Los Angeles Angels. They beat the Phillies in five games in the NLCS.

It was a bounce-back year for several players offensively. Nonie Williams was the best example, hitting .263 with 37 home runs and 112 RBI. Bryce Harper played better overall, hitting .245 with 28 homers. And Jansiel Rivera finished second in the MVP voting for the third time in his career, hitting .301 with 49 home runs and 114 RBI.

The bullpen dominated yet again, though Riley Ferrell and DeMarcus Evans are both slated to leave in free agency. For that matter, so is Michael Kopech, who served as the staff ace for the last four seasons.

"This was overall a solid season for us," said manager Dave Schnapler. "We realize we can't win every year. But we'd certainly like to bring home at least one more title for Bryce and the city of Philadelphia."
Attached Images
Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #36
nielsoncp
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa36 View Post
Blentak, who looks strikingly like former general manager Matt Klentak with glasses on, spoke frankly with the media

A Phillies gm being fired and sneaking back in to take the team over again ... Would that be more or less weird than the Bryan Colangelo saga?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nielsoncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #37
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2029 preview

As always, the Phils retooled heading into the 2029 season, but the core of the team remains the same, and the division looks ripe for the taking once again. "We feel pretty good about where we're at," said 36-year-old right fielder Bryce Harper. "I think we're ready to take that next step and bring home another title."

The biggest changes were in the rotation, where Michael Kopech departed, but the Phillies signed a new ace: 27-year-old Joey Estes, who will earn $132 million over the next four seasons. Pundits were surprised the Phils got him for so little. Estes has pitched his whole career just down the road in Washington to this point, with a career record of 86-55 and a 3.45 ERA, ass well as the 2026 Cy Young Award. 25-year-old Tommy Pifer, picked up in a midseason deal for first baseman Michael Toglia last season, will round at the rotation, as Julio Urias will miss the season with an arm injury yet again.

The Phillies won't have the services of DeMarcus Evans or Riley Ferrell any more, but new closer Rogelio Rocha should be a solid replacement. The 27-year-old Rocha came over from Cuba and will make $8.5 million per year for the next three seasons.

The lineup returns largely unchanged. Both Michiomi Nakamura and Nonie Williams are in the last years of their contracts, and it's possible the club could move on from both after this season.

Owner John Middleton is said to be getting restless once again, as the have fallen shy of a championship the last two seasons. "The manager and the general manager have my full confidence," said Middleton. "But if they don't win this year..."
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #38
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2029 midseason

How the mighty have fallen... have the Phillies erred in their plan to retool on the fly rather than rebuild? It's been a difficult year in Philadelphia, as the Phils sit in last place in their division with a 40-49 record.

Compounding the slow start are rumors that Bryce Harper's patience with the team has grown thin- that he's been displeased with batting sixth in the order, and that he's asked for a trade. "That's a clown question, bro," Harper said in response to being asked about the possibility. "You're gonna have to look at my ugly face for at least the next two and a half years."

But perhaps it wouldn't be the worst idea to trade him. Harper is 36, and hitting just .202 with 10 home runs. While last year was a bit of a bounce-back for him, this year is shaping up to be his worst yet. It's not clear whether they could recoup any value for him at this point, as he's owed $22 million this year and the next two.

The Phils did get something in return for Nonie Williams, who was having a miserable season and also making $22 million. Williams was sent to the Braves for old friend Seranthony Dominguez, who makes only $10.4 million this season. The Phillies certainly didn't need another reliever, but Dominguez has a 1.86 ERA and 19 saves, and Williams at this point appeared to be a lesser player than youngsters Bob Timmons or Luis Benavides. Williams certainly had an illustrious career in Philadelphia, hitting 255 home runs over parts of eight seasons.

The Phillies haven't had a losing record since all the way back in 2019, ten years ago. The good news is, they're only four games back of the Washington Nationals for fourth place. It's certainly still possible they could make a run and find their way back into the playoffs. It just doesn't feel that way as things stand right now.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #39
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2029 review

When Phillies fans look back on the 2029 season, what will they remember? Will they think of this as a team that profoundly underachieved, one that wasn't able to poke its head above .500 until the 163rd game of the season? Or will they think of it as a team that somehow became an underdog and came a single run from taking down the mighty San Diego Padres in the postseason?

There were plenty of exciting moments at the end of the season. Rookie backup catcher Jamie Hathaway's walk-off single in the tenth inning of game #161. Tommy Pifer's stellar outing in game #162. The big dog himself, Bryce Harper, stepping for two home runs against the upstart Expos is game #163. Starlyn Castillo's shutout effort and Kevin Maldonado's walk-off single in the second game of the Wild Car Series against the Reds. And most of all, Bob Timmons's absurd grand slam against the Padres to tie the score in Game Four, when the Phillies were one out from elimination.

It all ended the next day, when the Phillies couldn't quite push across another run against a Padres team that went on to lose to the Yankees in the World Series. But all in all, it was a pretty darn memorable year.

Joey Estes took home some hardware, winning his second career Cy Young Award after going 15-9 with a 3.21 ERA and striking out a league-leading 226 hitters. Jansiel Rivera put together another stellar year, finishing third in the MVP voting and hitting .287 with 48 home runs and 134 RBI. And give Bryce Harper credit- the Phillies' elder statesman turned around his season, hitting .267 with 10 home runs once the calendar flipped to August.

Manager Dave Schnapler did just enough to save his job for one more season. "I know more is expected of me," said Schnapler. "This club showed me a spark I hadn't seen in a while. I expect us to take the next step next season."
Attached Images
Old 03-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #40
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2030 preview

Maybe it's not time to close the book on the Phillies just yet. The team moved aggressively to try to keep their championship window open, signing third baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to a five-year deal worth $140 million, and including two opt-outs. Guerrero Jr. has been one of the premiere hitters in baseball over his eleven-year career, amassing 62.2 WAR across his time with the Blue Jays and the Cubs. He hit .303 with 28 home runs and 103 RBI last season. He'll start the season as the DH, but still plays a decent third base. Later on, the team could choose to play him at third to get Luis Ocon's bat back in the lineup, but this is suddenly looking like a pretty dangerous lineup.

"I'm thrilled to have the guy here," said Bryce Harper, who will start the year batting second. "He gives us some balance with all our lefty bats." Harper is now in the next-to-last season of his 13-year deal.

The rotation looks fairly similar, with Joey Estes heading a solid if unspectacular group. Rogelio Rocha returns as the closer in a typically deep Phillies bullpen.

Last season was a slog that ended in some excitement. The Phils hope to make this one a memorable year from start to finish.
Attached Images
Image Image