Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 06-26-2018, 01:43 AM   #1
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

The Random City Baseball League

I really wanted to create an interesting league to use so I came up with this idea. Using the Top Cities per State project for logos and jerseys, while also having a random number generator, I randomized 24 cities from all over the United States. Because of the randomness of the teams, there can be a mix of big and small cities for the league and I can learn about some of these cities too.

Here is a list of the 24 cities that were selected based off population numbers:

1. Fort Worth 874,168
2. Durham 251,893
3. Glendale 226,721
4. Springfield (MO) 159,498
5. Salem (OR) 154,637
6. Savannah 136,286
7. Enterprise 108,481
8. Centennial 100,377
9. Fishers 91,832
10. Parma 81,601
11. St. George 80,202
12. Lake Charles 71,993
13. Waukesha 70,718
14. Murfreesboro 68,816
15. Glen Burnie 67,639
16. Auburn 63,118
17. Meriden 60,868
18. Dubuque 58,253
19. Hattiesburg 45,989
20. Hilo 43,263
21. Post Falls 27,574
22. Portsmouth 21,233
23. Yankton 14,454
24. St. Albans 6.918

The league is divided into two sub-leagues that each have two divisions of six teams. The Eastern League is split into the Atlantic Division and the Gulf Coast Division while the Western League is split into the Central Division and the Pacific Division. There will be three tiers of minor leagues, Triple A, Double A and Rookie League.
Bigfish1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

RCBL History 2000-2010

I simulated ten years into the league while starting in the year 2000, to create some history and see which teams have dominated and which have faltered. The most dominant team in the RCBL has been the Glendale Sidewinders, making the playoffs seven times in ten years and winning four championships. Other than Glendale, there has yet to be a team with more than one title to their name.

In the Atlantic Division, the Parma Bulldogs have been fairly consistent. They have won the division five times and in the first four years of the league averaged 105 wins per season. They won their only championship in 2001 but have been a big factor in the league’s first ten years. The Durham Dukes and the Portsmouth Clippers have also each been in the playoffs a couple times. The Dukes were the more successful of the two, winning the RCBL championship in 2006. The other three teams in the Atlantic have been dormant for the past decade. The Meriden Redbirds have been an above average team and had a couple of 90 win seasons. Sadly, they still missed out of the playoffs every year of the 2000’s due to dominance from other teams. The perennial bottom feeders of the Atlantic have been not just bad, but tragically bad. Both the St. Albans Millers and the Glen Burnie Blue Claws haven’t had one winning season in team history and neither have had more than 75 wins in a season.

Unlike the Atlantic, the Gulf Coast Division has had a lot of parity. All six teams have made the playoffs at least once and three of the six have a title. The Auburn Tigers have the most division titles with three and have also won a title in 2005. Fort Worth, the wealthiest and biggest team in the league, have had some regular season success but have yet to win a playoff series. In 2002, the Lake Charles Lakers made a surprise run to the title with 104 wins and a 4-1 series win over Salem, but since they have been close but have yet to make it back to postseason play. The Savannah Chiefs are the defending champions going into the 2010 season and have two division titles in a row. Both Hattiesburg and Murfreesboro have been below average teams in the decade but each have a division title.

In the Central Division there has not been much playoff success, with only one team in the division winning a title. The Dubuque Huskers won the inaugural RCBL title in 2000 and made it back to the championship in 2001 but lost to Parma 4-2. The Fishers Muskies and Waukesha Wanderers have each made a final but have yet to win a title. The Wanderers pulled a massive upset in last year’s playoffs, beating the 109 win Glendale Sidewinders to win the Western League pennant. In the final they lost to Savannah 4-1 though and will look to be back in the final for the 2010 season. The Springfield Fighters have yet to make the playoffs and look far away from competing. The Post Falls Spuds barely missed out of the playoffs in 2009 but they look to be a big title contender for the 2010 season.

The Pacific Division has been dominated by the Glendale Sidewinders. Seven playoff appearances, six pennants and four championships have placed them as the best team in RCBL history so far by a large margin. In 2009 they had their best season ever with 109 wins but lost to the Wanderers in the WLCS. The Salem Wolverines, St. George Dragons and Hilo Sun Sox each made the playoffs once but have had minimal success once there. Both the Enterprise Wildcats and Centennial Mountaineers have yet to make the postseason.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 06-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Getting Started in Glen Burnie

January 30, 2010

Looking through each team’s history, I have decided to take the GM job at Glen Burnie. The Glen Burnie Blue Claws have been the worst team in the first decade of the RCBL. Their best season was in 2004 when they went 74-88 and still finished in 5th place in the Atlantic Division. Last season the Blue Claws had their worst season in team history going 59-103 and having the worst record in the 2009 season out of all 24 teams. With that in mind, Glen Burnie will get the 1st pick in the amateur draft which we can use to rebuild this god awful team.

I immediately wanted to start making moves and the immediate point of weakness for this team was the outfield. Luckily there was some time to sign some players and the Blue Claws had around 24 million for free agents. I don’t plan on using a lot of that money but I do want to sign some decent outfielders and get rid of some lackluster ones.

February 5, 2010

My first move was to resign 32-year-old RF Rodolfo Perez to a 1 year $1.3 mil contract. He played for the Blue Claws in the 2009 season and put up fairly decent numbers and for only $1.3 mil he was a great bargain deal.

I also signed another 32-year-old LF Ben Gilmore to a 1 year $1.5 mil contract. I don’t see him being a great player or even as good as Perez will be for us, but he put up respectable numbers for the defending champion Savannah Chiefs. Another reason why I’m signing Gilmore is our outfielders are a lot worse in comparison.

With six outfielders on the active roster, I had to get rid of the players who I can’t see producing for us. Bill Page is a 25-year-old LF who still has some potential to get better but after playing 25 games in the majors last year, he was awful with a 73 OPS+ and I’d rather have him in AAA where we could maybe bring him up if he does well in Bowie or if there’s an injury.

The last move I did was trade away 28-year-old LF Mike Westbrook to the Glendale Sidewinders for 26-year-old RP Edgar Salce.

Mike Westbrook played for the Centennial Mountaineers last year and for some reason when the season ended last year we traded for him and gave up a decent second basemen. He hit .213 for Centennial and didn’t do much else. Luckily I got a good player back from Glendale. While pretty much everything needs to be improved from this 103 loss team, I really needed some bullpen arms and I think Edgar Salce could be an above average reliever for us this year. He really has not much strikeout potential which is a big flaw but his control and movement are fantastic for someone in a middle relief spot.

March 22, 2010

In the CRBL, Spring Training is only two weeks long which is good for both player and front offices throughout the league. The only big transaction to report is the signing of 28-year-old RP Josh Delap to a 1 year $3.8 mil contract. Last year Delap was an excellent reliever for the Glendale Sidewinders and while his ability might not match the contract, I thought it would be a good deal. If he can play like how he did last year, I’d like to keep him especially since he’s a good age. If he doesn’t pitch well, we can just let him go next year.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Opening Day 2010

April 5, 2010

Luckily no injuries during Spring Training and we can get started with the 2010 season. Looking at the preseason predictions, they see Parma winning the division with 97 wins. Durham and St. Albans (surprisingly) look to compete for second place. They also predict Portsmouth to hover around .500 and that Meriden will be a below average team this season. They predicted Glen Burnie in last place at 66-96 in the Atlantic which makes sense, this roster will not compete this season.

GLEN BURNIE BLUE CLAWS OPENING DAY HITTERS 2010:

C Chris Martinez, 31, 2009 stats (.270 BA, 100 OPS+, 3.1 WAR)
Martinez has been a member of the organization since 2004 when he was traded here from Waukesha and has been here the longest. While he is in a decline and probably won’t produce like he did from 2007-2009, he is still a pretty good catcher in the RCBL and will be the definite starter for the Blue Claws.

C Jamie Bracamontes, 27, 2009 stats (.211 BA, 70 OPS+, 0.2 WAR)
Our 9th round draft pick in 2002, Bracamontes has been the backup catcher for the past two years. He can’t hit at all but defensively he’s much better than Martinez. We really don’t have anyone better to replace him in the organization but he can be useful and hopefully Martinez can stay healthy.

1B Toyohisa Kanda, 32, 2009 stats (.243 BA, 84 OPS+, 0.4 WAR)
Looking at Kanda’s 2009 numbers makes him look like a bad player but in both 2008 and 2009, Kanda was a pretty good first basemen for the team and I feel like it was just a down year for Kanda. Like with Bracamontes, there isn’t much other talent at first base for this team so for now we will stick with Kanda as the only first baseman on the roster.

2B Jorge Valenzuela, 23, 2009 stats (.329 BA,134 OPS+, 3.4 WAR in AA Fort Meade)
It was between Valenzuela and 28-year-old Matthew Turner for the starting second basemen spot. Turner had an awful season for the Blue Claws last year hitting .202 BA and -1.5 WAR!!! So immediately I couldn’t have him start because he was that bad. Valenzuela is a pretty good prospect for Glen Burnie who has the potential to be an above average starting 2B. Turner will start the season in AAA Bowie.

3B Trent Brackin, 28, 2009 stats (.224 BA, 96 OPS+, 2.1 WAR)
Brackin will be the starter and I’m hoping he can make better contact this year for us. Defensively he’s a great player and has above power and discipline at the plate. If we can exceed expectations this year, a great year from Brackin will be key.

3B Alex Coronado 28, 2009 stats (.246 BA, 81 OPS+, 0.4 WAR)
Coronado will be a great backup for this team and if Brackin really struggles this year, Coronado can always take over at third.

SS Dustin Wyatt, 28, 2009 stats (.281 BA, 111 OPS+, 1.9 WAR in 59 games for GB)
Glen Burnie traded for Wyatt at the trade deadline in 2009 and since coming to Maryland, he has played insanely well. He was a decent player for Springfield but in those last 59 games, he turned into a great shortstop. I’m worried he’s going to struggle though and I can’t see him putting up similar numbers to the end of last season. For now, he will start but if he struggles I will have to change things around.

SS Steve Hue, 27, 2009 stats (.305 BA, 113 OPS+, 2.7 WAR for AAA Bowie)
Hue was a tenth round draft pick in 2001 and has taken a lot of time to develop into a major league player. Last year he dominated in Bowie and has both the stats and the ability to be a back-up for this team. He can also play first and second base well too which is a huge benefit of Hue.

LF Ben Gilmore, 33, 2009 stats (.261 BA, 112 OPS+, 0.7 WAR for Savannah)
We picked up Gilmore for $1.5 mil in free agency and he’s not looking like a starting caliber player for an average CRBL team, but he put up okay numbers for the Chiefs last season and he’s better than any other option we have at least. I am just praying to the baseball gods that he doesn’t massively decline.

LF Randy Barrett, 31, 2009 stats (.267 BA, 128 OPS+, 1.0 WAR in 38 games for Glen Burnie)
To start the 2009 season, the Blue Claws signed Barrett, a career back-up in Salem to a minor league deal. He then proceeded to play well in AAA Bowie and in September he was placed on the active roster. In those 38 games in the majors, he was one of the best hitters on the team. I think Gilmore has better talent to play better but Barrett could be a corner outfield starter if Barrett or Perez has a slow start.

CF George Clark, 28, 2009 stats (.240 BA, 76 OPS+, 1.3 WAR), GOLDEN GLOVE WINNER IN 2008 and 2009
Clark is only here cause of his defense. He has decent hitting ability but no power to speak of. I’m hoping he can at least hit at a decent level because that would make him even more valuable. His defense is excellent and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins his third straight Golden Glove at CF.

RF Rodolfo Perez, 32, 2009 stats (.290, 105 OPS+, 1.6 WAR)
One of my first moves was to re-sign him in free agency to a one-year deal and he will be the starter heading into the 2010 season. He had a pretty great year (compared to the rest of the team) hitting .290 and playing above average defense. I do suspect he won’t be as productive as he was last year but even with that in mind, he will be the starter.

RF Matt Ritter, 28, 2009 stats (.182 BA, 33 OPS+, -0.7 WAR in 98 games for Fishers)
Glen Burnie picked Ritter up as a minor league signing in November 2009. This was before I came in back in January and while his stats are terrible, he definitely has the ability to be a decent back-up outfielder. Hopefully he can be respectable on the field and not as bad as he was last year.

The pitching staff is up next!
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Bigfish1287; 06-27-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

2010 Opening Day Pitchers

GLEN BURNIE BLUE CLAWS OPENING DAY PITCHERS 2010:

SP Danny Munguia, 25, 2009 stats (6-16, 3.64 ERA, 3.1 WAR)
Munguia is the best player on this team and he’s one of the few players who I’m confident will have a good season. Talent wise, Munguia would be a second or third starter in a rotation but for us, he’s our “ace”. Munguia had the most losses in the EL last year but, the offense gave him no run support and win-loss record doesn’t dictate pitching success. Let’s hope Danny has a great year!

SP Jeff Hall, 27, 2009 stats (1-1, 4.09 ERA, 0.0 WAR, only 2 starts in 2009)
After a torn flexor injury in 2008, Jeff Hall missed the rest of the season and almost all of 2009, except the last two starts of the year. Seeing how Hall will perform will be a massive storyline going into the season. Ability wise he looks like an above average starter in the RCBL and I’m hoping his flexor injury hasn’t changed that. I’m looking forward to see how Hall performs.

SP Jordan Martinez, 24, 2009 stats (1-4, 5.43 ERA, 0.4 WAR)
Martinez is a developing pitcher who first debuted last season. Martinez really struggled in 2009 with 13 starts and an ERA of 5.43. Martinez still could develop to be the best pitcher on this team and I’m hoping he can build off of last season. He looks to have control issues and if he can walk less batters this year, he’ll be bound to improve his game a lot.

SP Doug Higgins, 26, 2009 stats (8-9, 4.37 ERA, -0.4 WAR)
Like Martinez, Higgins debuted in the majors last year and also struggled massively. Higgins needs to develop more and while he may have some potential to get better, he’s 26 and I don’t know how much more he’ll be. A lot of these starters are unknowns heading into this season and the more I look at it, the more I worry.

SP Eric Curtis, 25, 2009 stats (7-13, 5.95 ERA, 0.6 WAR)
Curtis worries me a lot especially looking at how bad he was last season. Ability wise he should be able to compete against most back end rotation starters. I’ve noticed with this rotation that there are a ton of question marks that could go better than expected or worse. I’m hoping for the better.

RP Chris Miller, 23, 2009 stats (1-2, 3.96 ERA, -0.1 WAR)
Miller looks like a future starter for us, but at the moment I’m going to place him in the bullpen. He is way too good to be playing in AAA Bowie but I also don’t see him in the rotation to start the year. If one of our back end starters looks dreadful, I’ll look to give him some starts.

RP Mike Kamar, 25, 2009 stats (2-3, 4.63 ERA, -0.0 WAR)
Kamar was drafted by the Blue Claws in 2003 as a second round pick, but in his three years in the RCBL, he’s been below average. On talent alone Kamar should be a more important piece in this bullpen but based off those three years, I have to put him in long relief.

RP Josh DeLap, 28, 2009 stats (5-1, 2.51 ERA, 0.3 WAR for Glendale)
I signed DeLap before spring training and heading into the season, DeLap looks to be a good middle relief option for this team. After having two solid years in Waukesha in 2008 and Glendale in 2009, I have confidence that DeLap can perform at a similar level.

RP Edgar Salce, 26, 2009 stats (1-1, 3.95 ERA, 0.8 WAR for Parma)
Salce was acquired in when we traded away Mike Westbrook. I love his command on his pitches and I can’t see him giving up many big hits, I’m just worried about his ability to strike hitters out this year. He’s going to have to rely more on our defense when he’s pitching out there but if he can get outs and have a similar season to last year, I’ll be ecstatic.

RP Corey Grabarz, 24, 2009 stats (1-0, 2.79 ERA, -0.1 WAR in only eight games)
Grabarz started the 2009 season in Bowie, appeared in four games and got diagnosed with bone spurs in his elbow. He plated eight games for the Blue Claws when he came back and look okay but he looks set in the bullpen heading into the 2010 season. I can see Grabarz being a key piece for this bullpen for years to come but he doesn’t have much major league experience currently.

RP Nate Maloney, 24, 2009 stats (4-4, 4.95 ERA, -0.1 WAR)
Maloney had a pretty sub-par year for the Blue Claws, but his potential is very high. He will be the setup man for this season and I don’t expect him to be too great, but if he can develop to his full potential, he could be the best pitcher in a bullpen.

CL Justin Harding, 25, 2009 stats (2-7, 4.58 ERA, -0.2 WAR)
Harding by far is the most interesting player on the team. He has both the potential to be an amazing closer for us in the near future but if his changeup can develop a little more, he could be a key piece in the rotation. Heading into this season he looks to be a below average to average closer for this team and if he struggles out the gate, I won’t hesitate to give others the role.

The good and bad thing about this pitching staff is that they are young and inexperienced. Depending on how these guys all can perform and develop this year will dictate the future of this team. I am anxious to see how everyone performs and how these evaluations look when there’s some actual game time.

Now on to Opening Day!
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 1 2010

We start the 2010 season playing a three game series against the Durham Dukes, a division rival and team competing for the Atlantic this year. Then an off day on Thursday and then we travel to Hattiesburg for three games against the Lightning who look to be favorites for the Gulf Coast Division.

WEEK 1: April 5 – April 12

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (0-0) vs Durham Dukes (0-0) – April 5-7, 2010

Looking at this Durham squad, they look pretty dang good. Led by John Murray, a top 5 starter in the RCBL, and four-time all-star Ryan Lewallen, they look poised to challenge Parma as the best team in this division. Predictions indicate that the Dukes have the best lineup in league by a long shot and their rotation looks to be above average as well. I’m hoping we don’t get swept to start the year.
Around the league, defending champions Savannah hosts Hattiesburg in a pivotal series to start the season. Portsmouth travels to Ohio to play the Parma Bulldogs, and the hopeful Glendale Sidewinders stay in the desert to host the St. George Dragons.

4/5/2010 GB 4 DUR 3 W - Corey Grabarz (1-0) L – Travis Bini (0-1) SV – Edgar Salce (1)

An impressive start to the season for the Blue Claws! The first four innings were scoreless until Durham CF Jake Kuykendall hit a solo shot in the 5th and drove in another run off an RBI single in the next inning. But the Blue Claws clawed back in the 7th and scored two runs off back to back RBI singles from Brackin and Kanda. In the 8th, Wyatt tripled a run in and then scored off a fly out from Bracamontes. Glen Burnie would then hold off the Dukes potent lineup for the 4-3 win.
Bad news after this game is that Dustin Wyatt will be out for three days with back soreness but even worse, Justin Harding got injured pitching in the 9th and he’ll be out with back strains for seven weeks. To compensate, I’ve brought up Joe Olsen from Bowie and we can use him as long relief. For now, Nate Maloney will take over the closer role for the team.

4/6/2010 GB 2 DUR 3 (11) W – Basil Proctor (1-0) (that’s a great name to be fair) L – Nate Maloney (0-1)

40-year-old CF Eddie Martinez hits a walk off solo shot off Maloney to win the game. That’s rough. Hall pitched a good game, going six innings, allowing five hits and two earned runs with six strikeouts. Brackin went 2-5 and has been great so far in this series. It really hurts that we lost Harding because I really believe he could have kept us in this one. Oh well.

4/7/2010 GB 3 DUR 5 W – Daniel Hensel (1-0) L – Jordan Martinez (0-1) SV – Bruce Vargas (1)

Jordan looked pretty shaky out there for his first start and with only four hits total, it was doubtful we could win this game. George Clark had a big triple in the 8th to score two runs, but it wasn’t enough to come back in this one.

Overall a closer series than I expected coming in and for the best lineup in the league, our staff did a respectable job against them. No home runs yet and while I don’t expect this team to have much potential to generate much power, it still bothers me.

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (1-2) vs Hattiesburg Lightning (1-3) – April 9-11, 2010

Hattiesburg comes back home to Mississippi to play us, after having a rough start to the year against the defending champion Savannah Chiefs. The Lightning are led by new signing “Big Kahuna” Chris Cranor. The 32-year-old was signed in the off-season for four years and $108 million after playing six years in Yankton.
Around the league, the 3-0 Parma Bulldogs host the Murfreesboro Arsenal and look to keep their hot start going. On the other side of the coin, 0-3 Portsmouth travels to Savannah, to play the Chiefs, after being swept by those pesky Parma Bulldogs. Finally, in another big series, the 2-0 Yankton Miners hosts the Hilo Sun Sox for three games.

4/9/2010 GB 3 HAT 1 W – Eric Curtis (1-0) L – Matt Avila (0-1) SV – Nate Maloney (1)

Curtis pitched pretty well today, he walked six batters but allowed no runs and only one hit in six innings. Their starter, Ryan Markert got pulled in the first inning due to back soreness. After scoring a run in the top of the third, Chris Martinez brought home two runs with a single in the fifth and our bullpen played well enough to shut the door. Kanda had a great day, going 3-4 with three singles and a walk.

4/10/2010 GB 3 HAT 1 W – Doug Higgins (1-0) L – Adrian Bickar (1-1) SV – Nate Maloney (2)

Another big win against a pretty solid team. A great outing for Doug Higgins as he allows three hits and one run through 6 solid innings. Bickar is a pretty young and good pitcher for the Lightning but RF Matt Ritter and Higgins himself got some big hits off him to give us the win. With a man on second and third, Higgins hit a big RBI single and almost brought another home if he didn’t get thrown out at home. Ritter hit a solo shot in the top of the sixth and doubled later on in the game.

4/11/2010 GB 2 HAT 4 W – Mike Pedroza (1-1) L – Danny Munguia (0-1) SV – Andy Russell (1)

A tough loss to end the series in Mississippi as score four runs in the seventh to win a hard fought game. Munguia was pitching pretty well, not allowing a run till the bottom of the seventh until Hattiesburg CF Michael Owden hit a two run shot off Danny. We then replaced him with Kamar who proceeded to give up two solo home runs to Swartz and Suhr. Two runs in the eighth wasn’t enough as the Lightning took the last game in the series. Valenzuela had a fantastic game, going 4-4 with four singles and a RBI.

Looking at the weekly power rankings, Glen Burnie starts at 13 after staying even after six games. The Yankton Miners start the season 5-0 and number one in the rankings after sweeping Post Falls in two, and Hilo in three games. Parma and Durham both start the season in fourth and fifth, having great starts to the season.

Next week we start by travelling further west to play the 2-4 Fort Worth Mustangs. Then an off-day on Thursday as we travel back for the home opener against the much maligned, Parma Bulldogs. Should be an exciting test to see how this team stacks up against the best of the Atlantic
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 06-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #7
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Opening Day 2010 Prospect Watch:

With the CRBL AAA and AA seasons beginning in a couple days, I want to go over the best prospects in the organization and throughout the year I want to give updates on each of their progress.

Opening Day 2010 Prospect Watch:

SP Adam Baker, Bowie AAA, 2005 round 1 pick 7 ,24, 2009 stats (7-8, 4.78 ERA, 1.9 WAR for AA Fort Meade)
Baker is the gem of our system but he should be in the majors by next year at the latest, hopefully this season if he can develop some more. He didn’t light up Fort Meade last season by any means, but he has improved ability wise and he should do well in Bowie this year.

SP Eric DeRolf, Fort Meade AA, 2007 round 1 pick 4 ,22, 2009 stats (7-13, 6.87 ERA, 1.6 WAR for Fort Meade)
DeRolf is a pitcher with a ton of potential going forward but he really struggled last year in Fort Meade. He should be poised for an improvement in AA this year though and I’m really hoping this kid can take that next step forward this year.

LF Paul Shiflet, Glen Burnie Rookie, 2009 round 2 pick 37, 20, 2009 stats (.129 BA, 6 OPS+, -0.9 WAR for Glen Burnie Rookie)
Now that folks, is what we call a terrible season, my goodness. Granted it’s a sample size of 97 plate appearances but Shiflet is as raw as they come. If this kid develops, he looks like a top 5 LF in the league but as of right now, he’s going to struggle bad in Rookie ball again this season. By the start of next season, I need to see some development from him to have any confidence.

SP Josh Cowley, Glen Burnie Rookie, 2009 round 1 pick 5, 20, 2009 stats (4-3, 5.31 ERA, 0.6 WAR for Glen Burnie Rookie)
Cowley looks to be a future mid rotation stud. His rookie ball performance last year was below average, but unlike his fellow draftee Shiflet, I can see Cowley making it up to Fort Meade at some point in the season if he’s playing well.

C Matt Stanley, Fort Meade AA, 2007 round 8 pick 184, 21, 2009 stats (.328 BA, 126 OPS+, 1.4 WAR for Glen Burnie Rookie)
Stanley got his shot at the starting catcher job last year for the Argonauts and he played exceptionally well. If he can improve, he has the ceiling of an above average starting catcher in the RCBL and I’m pretty excited to see what Stanley can do in Fort Meade.

2B Steve Gebo, Fort Meade AA, 2006 round 10 pick 237, 23, 2009 stats (.305 BA, 113 OPS+, 1.7 WAR for Glen Burnie Rookie)
After four years of rookie ball, Gebo finally made it to Fort Meade. He looks to be a late bloomer and I don’t expect him to make it to Bowie at any point this year unless he defies expectations. If Gebo reaches his potential, he could be an above average hitter with fantastic defensive and base running ability.

SP Allen Lofberg, Glen Burnie Rookie, 2009 round 1 pick 3, 20, 2009 stats (3-3, 4.85 ERA, 0.3 WAR for Glen Burnie Rookie)
I didn’t realize that Glen Burnie had the fifth and the third pick in last year’s draft. Lofberg has the potential to be a mid-rotation level starter like Cowley who was picked close after. Lofberg should be able to progress out of rookie ball and into Fort Meade by the end of the season and he looks primed to dominate.

RF Justin Henderson, Fort Meade AA, 2006 round 3 pick 66, 23, 2009 stats (.348 BA, 149 OPS+, .5 WAR for Fort Meade)
I know what you’re thinking. Why isn’t this kid in Bowie after that 2009 season??? Well while he looked absolutely dominant in AA ball, it was in 53 plate appearances and that’s not enough to evaluate his performance. I do expect Henderson to make it to AAA soon, especially if he keeps up his stats from the previous season.

There are some other guys that have some potential too, but I think eight players is a perfect snapshot of the prospect pool in Glen Burnie. I will give updates each month to go over how everyone is playing and I may add some others if they begin to emerge this season.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 2 2010

This week starts with three games in Fort Worth and then we travel back to Maryland for the home opener against our biggest rivals, the Parma Bulldogs.

WEEK 2: April 12 – April 18

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (3-3) vs Forth Worth Mustangs (2-4) April 12 – 14, 2010

Fort Worth remind me a lot of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL. The biggest market in the league, the most media coverage and yet they can’t win the big one and have yet to win a playoff series in these first ten years. The Mustangs have Jose Rico, a 24-year-old LF who is a top ten player in the CRBL currently and with time could be the best hitter in the league. Luckily he’s on the DL for nine more days so we won’t see him.
Around the league right now, a massive three game series between 5-1 Parma and 4-2 Lake Charles, 3-2 St. Albans goes to Savannah to play the 4-3 Chiefs and finally the only undefeated team 5-0 Yankton travels to Utah to play the 2-5 St. George Dragons.

4/12/2010 GB 6 FW 4 W – Mike Kamar (1-0) L – Chris Victor (0-1) SV – Chris Miller (1)
Big win in Texas, as LF Ben Gilmore hits a big 2 RBI single in the top of the seventh and after a shaky finish, the Blue Claws hold on. I’ve been pretty impressed at how well this pitching staff has played so far in the season.

4/13/2010 GB 2 FW 3 (10) W – Sandy Rodrigues (1-2) L – Nate Maloney (0-2)
0-2 in extra innings so far and this loss was tough. It was a quick start for the Blue Claws as Kanda hit a two run home run in the top of the first but the Mustangs tied it back up with a two RBI single pinch hit by RF Jordan Sepulveda. The game ended in the tenth when Willie Moreno hit a walkoff single to win it for the Mustangs.

4/14/2010 GB 5 FW 4 (10) W – Josh DeLap (1-0) L – Malchi Bonner (0-1)
A big error in the tenth by Fort Worth SS Wajih bin Malik, drives in the winning run for the Blue Claws. After being down 4-1 for a lot of the game, two runs were scored off a Kanda two run HR in the seventh and a clutch RBI single from Barrett tied the game in the ninth. Kanda has been amazing in these first nine games, hitting .389 with an OPS+ of 183! It’s only nine games but it’s great to see him hit well.

Breaking News: The Glen Burnie Blue Claws lose SP Jordan Martinez for 3-4 months with a herniated disk.
We immediately place Martinez on the 60-day DL and now we need to find a decent replacement. Martinez was a big piece for this team’s success and we most likely won’t see him back in the majors till late July – early August. Chris Miller, one of our young relievers is now in the rotation as he is the best starting option going forward. Nobody in the minors had the ability to start as well as Miller does. I’m hoping he can replace Martinez well. We bring up AA Fort Meade closer Matthew Patrie to pitch in a long relief role. Patrie had a year or two of good relief for the Auburn Tigers and has been a good minor league reliever for a couple years in our system.

Parma Bulldogs (5-4) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (5-4) April 16-18, 2010
After starting the season at 5-1, the Bulldogs were swept on the road by the Lakers. They have two fantastic pitchers in Lance Harvin and Roberto Hiraldo. Sadly, we will see them both on back to back nights in game two and three of the series. Their superstar third basemen, Jeff Mason has been struggling with a .171 average and a 38 OPS+. I’m expecting him to get out of that slump by playing our weakened pitching staff.

4/16/2010 PAR 8 GB 2 W – Jeff Lane (1-0) L – Josh DeLap (1-1)
Higgins started today and gave up two early runs off a Jeff Mason two run bomb. We tied it at 2 with a Brackin solo shot in the fifth and a Valenzuela RBI single in the sixth. From there things imploded as DeLap gave up five runs in the eight which put the game out of reach. Mason goes 2-4 with a two run homer and a big double.

4/17/2010 PAR 1 GB 2 W – Danny Munguia (1-1) L – Lance Harvin (1-2) SV – Nate Maloney (3)
We went against a top three pitcher in the RCBL and won with an amazing performance from Munguia. Seven innings pitched with only five hits and one earned run allowed. The bullpen played well and shut the game down with a great save from Maloney. We only had three hits all game but the hero was CF George Clark, who hit a big two RBI single in the third to give us the lead we luckily preserved.

4/18/2010 PAR 2 GB 5 W – Jeff Hall (1-0) L – Roberto Hiraldo (1-1) SV – Nate Maloney (4)
First start of Hall’s career and he outpitches an experienced and super talented veteran. Hall pitched seven good innings of baseball, only allowing six hits and two runs. While Hall went through the game with few mistakes, Hiraldo was shelled in the fourth when a two RBI triple by Matt Ritter blew the game open and Ritter was eventually brought home on a sac fly. SS Hue also contributed with a big single that brought two more home in the sixth.

This was a great week for the Blue Claws as we take two of three from Fort Worth and also take two of three from the dread Bulldogs and end the week at 7-5. As of currently, we have the best starting rotation in the EL and the best defensive efficiency. Kanda is still on fire and is hitting really well.

Looking at the power rankings, we jump from number 13 to 9 after a 4-2 week. Division rival Durham, Lake Charles and Wasukesha are numbers 1,2 and 3 respectively all with 9-4 records. Hattiesburg are in last after losing six straight and usual contender Glendale sit at 23.
In the standings, the Atlantic is led by Durham who is a game and a half ahead of Glen Burnie and two ahead of Portsmouth. Parma drops to 6-6 while St. Albans and Meriden are in last at 5-7. We start next week with three at home against the Portsmouth Clippers and then we travel to Alabama to play three against the Auburn Tigers.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #9
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 3 2010

WEEK 3: April 19 – April 25, 2010

Portsmouth Clippers (7-6) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (7-5) April 19 – April 21, 2010

The Clippers come into Maryland playing very well, taking three of four from New England rival St. Albans. They are led by 28-year-old first basemen Lupe Lopez who has had back to back seasons of 8 WAR or more. The back to back EL MVP is looking to beat on the Blue Claws especially against new starter Chris Miller.
Quick observation: When I randomized the 24 teams, the only city I’ve ever seen or been to out of all of them is Portsmouth, NH. I saw it on the way to Maine and it looked like a really cool place to visit.

4/19/2010 POR 9 GB 3 W – Luis Escorza (1-2) L – Chris Miller (0-1)
Miller got crushed in his first start replacing Martinez, only going four innings and giving up five runs. The bats struggled too as Kanda hit a two run shot but that’s all of any importance. Other than Kanda, the rest of the offense has been struggling mightily and once this rotation falls back down to earth, this team will be bad.

4/20/2010 POR 6 GB 7 W – Edgar Salce (1-1) L – Bobby Curtiss (0-1)
What an amazing comeback!!! Down 6-2 in the ninth, the Blue Claws came back and won 7-6. I posted the win expectancy graph to show how crazy this comeback was. Kanda, the hero, hit a walk off single as George Clark scores. Starter Eric Curtis blew up and gave up six runs in five innings of work. But the Blue Claw bullpen held the Clippers off as the Portsmouth bullpen couldn’t get anyone out. Just a crazy and lucky win.

4/21/2010 POR 4 GB 3 W – Jason Woodard (1-0) L – Doug Higgins (1-1)
After that amazing comeback, we deal with a tough loss to lose the series at home. It was a weird game as both superstars for Portsmouth, Lupe Lopez and SP Yunosuke Mukai, went down with injuries. Without Mukai the Clippers bullpen allowed a couple of runs but with Kanda going 0-4 and with Dustin Wyatt being the best contributor, there was no way Glen Burnie would win this.

We probably should have been swept by this team but we got lucky to win in that ninth inning comeback. Our lineup looks dreadful and when our starters can’t stay in the game, there’s no chance we win games, especially against contenders. I’m expecting more of the same when we travel to Alabama to take on Auburn.

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (8-7) vs Auburn Tigers (9-6) April 23-25, 2010

Auburn has been having a fairly successful season so far but are trailing Lake Charles in the Gulf Coast by two games. Auburn are led by 2B Daniel Goes and 3B Jim Monteau and the starters have the best ERA in the EL. This series could be bad for the Blue Claws but hopefully Munguia can have a good start to the series.

4/23/2010 GB 6 AUB 3 W – Danny Munguia (2-1) L – Danny Bravo (0-1) SV – Nate Maloney (5)
Big win in Alabama as Munguia pitches well and CF George Clark goes 3-4 with a double and a homer. Kanda also hit a three run blast in the first to get the scoring started for the Blue Claws. A much needed win for this team’s confidence heading forward.

4/24/2010 GB 5 AUB 3 W – Jeff Hall (2-0) L – Brad Mickelson (2-1) SV – Maloney (6)
Another big win for Glen Burnie as Hall pitches very well and gets the win. Shout out to Edgar Salce who has looked like the best member of this bullpen by far as he pitches two innings with one hit allowed. He has only allowed one run all season in almost thirteen innings of work and he has contributed to a lot of our close wins.

4/25/2010 GB 2 AUB 5 W – Tony Martinez (2-1) L – Chris Miller (0-2) SV – Tony Condori (5)
Yikes. Just an absolute terrible start from Chris Miller who gave up five runs in 3.2 innings of work. The only Blue Claws runs were scored off an Alex Coronado two run blast in the eighth, but other than that, the offense was anemic. Nothing really more to say than that.

A surprisingly well played series in Auburn even if the last game was a stinker. I’m surprised we are sitting above .500 after twenty games and while I don’t think it’ll last; the season has been much better than I expected so far.

In the weekly power rankings, we stay at 9 with a 3-3 week. The Centennial Mountaineers take the number one spot with a 5-1 week, while Parma drops down to 21 after a five game losing streak. In the standings, Durham still leads after a 3-3 week while both Glen Burnie and St. Albans are 1.5 back of the Dukes. St. Albans has been fantastic as of late, going 5-1 this week and sweeping Murfreesboro. We start next week by heading west to Lake Charles to play the Lakers for three and then head back home to host the division leading, Durham Dukes.

The next post will be a RCBL.com article, reporting on how a certain Mississippi based team has blown up and will document what has gone wrong and why. (I think this will be a cool feature, used to highlight what other teams are doing besides lowly Glen Burnie)
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #10
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

What is Happening in Hattiesburg?

RCBL.com FEATURE – April 26, 2010

What is Happening in Hattiesburg?

After as 3-15 start to the season, the Hattiesburg Lightning have gone from division contender to ten games out of the division in a three-week span. New signing C Jose Hernandez has been out for the past two weeks and will come back soon but that doesn’t change the fact that this team is abysmal. Five time all-star and new arrival Chris Cranor has been way beneath his expectations heading in, nobly hitting .205 and a OPS+ of only 73. Josh Suhr has been even worse through 18 games, with a .185 average and a 73 OPS+ like Cranor. Because of these two stars struggling, the team has barely scored any runs and rank 11th in runs scored in the EL.

Even worse has been the pitching staff and a massive part of that has been young starring pitcher Ralph Lauser. In only three starts he’s given up 23 runs, good for an ERA of 25.50! He gave up ten earned runs to Savannah in a 22-9 loss and nine earned runs in a 11-4 loss to Lake Charles. Are you surprised that their bullpen ERA is also last in the EL? Or that their defensive efficiency is eleventh? Everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong for the Lightning and it’s been a miserable start for this team.

Projected with an 87-75 record while winning the Gulf Coast, Hattiesburg had the highest of hopes for this season but nobody could have expected this. This is a massive week for this team with three on the road in Parma against a talented but struggling squad. Then they head down to Georgia for three against the defending champion and thriving Savannah Chiefs. I don’t see this team being any worse and while a big turnaround will likely happen, they cannot waste any more time when they ten games out of first.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-05-2018, 03:04 AM   #11
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 4 2010

WEEK 4: April 26 – May 2, 2010

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (10-8) vs Lake Charles Lakers (13-5) April 27 – April 29, 2010

The Lakers look like a title contender after almost a month of games. That shouldn’t mean much this early in the season, but they look very good. Their leadoff bat, SS Javier Escobedo, is hitting .420 to start the season while three time all-star 3B Jeff Dowell is on pace for another great season for the Lakers. While the 2010 international signing, 22-year-old ace SP Yoshimatsu Takimoto has looked pretty bad in his first four starts, SP Chris Cooper has looked like the real ace. He is 2-0 with a 1.65 ERA so far, dominating hitters throughout the league. I don’t see this team beating out the defending champion Chiefs for the Gulf Coast title, but they are sure to put up a fight, especially if Takimoto can get out of his slump.

4/27/2010 GB 7 LC 5 (11) W – Nate Maloney (1-2) L – Ho-min Wang (1-1) SV – Mike Kamar (1)
Eric Curtis did not look good today, as he only lasted 3.2 innings and gave up four runs easily on some small ball singles and good base running from the Lakers. But in the fifth, things began to turn around as Randy Barrett hit a three run blast while pinch hitting for Curtis. Then in the sixth, Kanda saved the day with a solo shot to tie it up at four. The bullpen played amazingly well once Curtis left, not allowing a run and only giving up three hits for the rest of the game. With both bullpens playing well, the game went to extras where in the eleventh, struggling C Chris Martinez hit his first home run of the season. This brought home two and even though Kamar gave up a run in the bottom of the eleventh, he held on for the save. A side note to this game is that Valenzuela got suspended for four games after fighting with RP Eric Ayala.

4/28/2010 GB 4 LC 2 (12) W – Nate Maloney (2-2) L – Chase Black (1-1) SV – Josh DeLap (1)
Another clutch win for Glen Burnie, as they again win a big game in extra innings! Doug Higgins was above average in his six innings of work, giving up two runs and striking out three, but opposing starter Travis Greathouse was pretty great. He went seven innings with no runs allowed, two hits and seven punch outs. With a 2-0 lead, the Lakers pulled Greathouse in the eighth and RP Ho-min Wang proceeded to give up two runs that same inning. A big homer from George Clark tied the game up at 2-2 and again it headed to extra innings. A big single from Steve Hue brought one run home in the twelfth and a walk brought Wyatt home. DeLap closed the game out and the Blue Claws grabbed another tight and lucky win from the Lakers.

4/29/2010 GB 7 LC 3 W – Danny Munguia (3-1) L – Yoshimatsu Takimoto (0-4)
What a win! What a series! Danny looked pretty great today, giving up two runs off four hits but the real story is the Glen Burnie line-up. Takimoto was immediately hammered in the second after having a 1-0 lead. Ritter doubled, Martinez singled, then Hue brought Ritter home off a big single. George Clark then gave Munguia even more support with a huge two out single that brought two home. The bats were then silent till the fifth when Takimoto allowed three more runs and then left the game down 6-1. Patrie and Salce then pitched well enough to win us the game, with some dumb mistakes thrown in.

This is the first sweep for the Blue Claws in the season and it was against a (supposedly) good team. I don’t know how much these wins were due to luck or talent. I’d lean more towards luck for the first two nail bitters but that final game was an excellent performance. Also with a win tonight, the Blue Claws surprisingly move into first in the Atlantic, a half game up on Durham. I’ll bet that it won’t last but it’s nice to see.

Durham Dukes (13-9) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (13-8) April 30 – May 2, 2010

We play the Dukes for the second series this season, after losing two of three in Durham to start the season. The Dukes just lost two of three at home against the Savannah Chiefs have been pretty average as of late, going 5-5 in their last ten games. 40-year-old CF Eddie Martinez has been average for the Dukes but dominated us in our last three meetings, hitting .308 and he hit a walk off homer in our first loss of the year. Another performer of note has been CF Jake Kuykendall who’s been on fire in April, hitting .357 and holding an OPS+ of 157. I have confidence in my Blue Claws after that great trip to Lake Charles, but I can see this series pulling my expectations back down to earth.

4/30/2010 DUR 0 GB 6 W – Jeff Hall (3-0) L – Daniel Hensel (2-2)
JEFF HALLLLLL! What a game and what a performance! A complete game shutout from Hall as he allows three hits all game against a potent Durham lineup! Steve Hue also had a great game as he homered and hit a big triple. Jeff Hall has been dominant in April and could easily contend for Pitcher of the Month. 3-0, 1.91 ERA and only 27 hits allowed in five starts. HE’s been great and this team is really surprising me. We end April in first place in the Atlantic and while it won’t last, this has been a fun month for fans in Glen Burnie and all over Maryland.

5/1/2010 DUR 4 GB 1 W – Bobby Santamaria (3-1) L – Chris Miller (0-3)
Bobby Santamaria has an awesome name and now he also has an amazing performance as he pitches nine innings with only one run given up. Blue Claw’s starter Chris Miller wasn’t as awful as he’s usually been but he was still pretty bad. HE’s lucky he didn’t give up any more runs as the Dukes had ten hits off Miller but only got three runs. Miller expects to be in the rotation but with an ERA of 7.88 and a WHIP of 2.25, I don’t see it. He needs to develop much more if he can be useful in this rotation but I am going to give him one more start. Problem is, even if he sucks, I really don’t have any good options at SP with Martinez out for three months and no real prospects to bring up that I can trust for three months.

5/2/2010 DUR 1 GB 4 W – Eric Curtis (2-0) L – Enrique Avila (0-1) SV – Nate Maloney (7)
Curtis had a much better start than his previous one in Lake Charles as he pitches seven innings and only gives up one earned run, a grounder that brought a run home in the third. The bullpen followed suit and only gave up one hit in two innings as Maloney ended the game. The hero of this one though was Steve Hue who hit a big three run homer in the second to put the Claws up 3-0. A great series win in front of the home fans, who see us in pole position in the Atlantic.

We jump from two weeks of being in ninth to third after a 5-1 week! The Savannah Chiefs go to first with a 17-8 record and Centennial drops to second as they have a 3-3 week. Hattiesburg sit in last still and their division rival Murfreesboro sit one spot ahead at 23.

Looking at the standings so far, you can see how tough the Atlantic really has been so far. With three and a half games separating us from last place Portsmouth, there is a lot of room to improve or fall apart. While Glen Burnie in first has been a big shock to start the year, the Meriden Redbirds have been on fire as of late, winning their last six games and climbing the standings. Every team in the division could come out with the Atlantic (except us probably) and it should be interesting to see how things shake up.

The Gulf Coast is led by Savannah, who looks like a great team this season while both Hattiesburg and Murfreesboro already look out of the hunt. The Waukesha Wanderers have looked great also and have really began to pull away in the Central Division. Yankton was a pretty hot team to start the season but have slowly slipped down as they’ve been 3-7 in their last ten. The Centennial Mountaineers have been good in the Pacific as they have a 2.5 game lead over Enterprise. Glendale has been improving after a slow start and had a 4-2 week. Some more good news for Glendale as ace SP Jon-ho Kim comes back to the team tomorrow after a damaged elbow ligament kept him out for most of last season.

Next week Glen Burnie hosts division foe St. Albans for their first match-up of the year. Then interleague opponent Springfield comes to Maryland for three more to close the week out. Before I play those games though, I will post a recap of the April rewards and my opinion and information on how certain Blue Claws and prospects have fared in the first month of the season.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #12
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

April 2010 Awards and Review

April 2010 Review:

Rookie of the Month

EL: Meridian C Andy Blair (.395, 3 HR 15 RBI, 184 OPS+)

WL: Yankton CF Mack Silvia (.367, 5 HR 25 RBI, 170 OPS+)

Both Blair and Silvia have looked like stars in their first month in the majors. Silvia was the nineteenth pick in the 2006 draft while Blair was the fourteenth in the 2004 draft. Both look to be studs in the future and especially with Blair as he will be with a division foe for a while. We have yet to play Meriden, but when we do, Blair will be a player to watch for sure.

Pitcher of the Month

EL: Savannah SP Casper Baran (3-0, 1.83 ERA)

WL: Enterprise Shi-xian Chai (4-1 3.38 ERA)

Baran arrived in Savannah from Fort Worth at last year’s deadline and helped them make a run all the way to the title. His struggles in the postseason were noticeable but he seems to have turned it around after a great April. Chai, the 2007 Pitcher of the Year winner, looks to be in good pitching form as he wins the WL Pitcher of the Month. He’s been in Enterprise for his entire career and has yet to make a postseason appearance. Sadly, after his last start, he got injured and will be out for 4-5 weeks with elbow inflammation.

Batter of the Month

EL: St. Albans LF Tim Garland (.368, 6 HR 17 RBI, 161 OPS+)

WL: Enterprise 2B Fernando Rendon (.359, 9 HR 22 RBI, 219 OPS+)

Garland is only 24 and seems to be lighting up the CRL in his third season. While he won batter of the month, he also won a Gold Glove in LF last season and has been playing well defensively at this point. We start next week against St. Albans and we will now see up close how great this kid really is. Rendon is rated as the best player in the CRBL and wow has he played like it! With a month like this he’s on pace for 58 homers and around 13 WAR. Like Chai, he has stayed with Enterprise for his whole career and looks to stay there till his contract ends in 2013.

Glen Burnie April Review and Thoughts:

I’ve been really impressed with this team and how they’ve been playing to start the year. Do I think it’s a fluke? Yeah. This team has nowhere near enough talent to compete with the likes of Parma, Durham or even Meriden. But the pitching staff has been excellent, especially the bullpen.

Our bullpen ERA is 2.57 which ranks second in the EL and while our starters rank in the middle of the pack, I think a lot of that has to do with Chris Miller’s stats dragging them down. He’s been awful like I mentioned previously and if he doesn’t turn it around, he will be replaced. Danny Munguia has been great and surprisingly, Jeff Hall has been even better especially with that great performance in Durham. The bullpen is led by Nate Maloney who is tied for second in all of the CRBL in saves which is unexpected. When Justin Harding went down, I thought our bullpen would be a lot worse but Maloney has filled in nicely. New signing Edgar Salce has been insanely dominant with a 0.57 ERA and setup man Corey Grabarz has been just as good with a similar 0.67 ERA.

On the hitting side, the team has definitely struggled but have won due some timely hitting and luck. The three hitters who have been playing well are CF George Clark, SS Steve Hue and most importantly 1B Toyohisa Kanda. Clark was already a positive on this team due to his great defense and his two Gold Gloves but he has also been hitting better than expected and has done well in the leadoff spot. Steve Hue wasn’t supposed to start heading into the season but he has outplayed SS Dustin Wyatt and has earned the starting gig. Hue has been hitting .352 and with a 129 OPS+, he’s been an above average shortstop for this team. I don’t expect him to keep this pace up, but he’s definitely played like the starter. Finally, Kanda has been the only real spark of power in this team as his five homers leads this team by a good margin.

On the prospect side of things, there have been some good and bad. Our number one prospect, SP Adam Baker struggled in AAA Bowie and by the end of the month, I sent him down to Fort Meade where he won’t get shelled. Number two prospect SP Eric DeRolf started in Fort Meade and has been their best pitcher through April going 3-1 with a 3.58 ERA. I like how he’s been pitching and with some more good performances, I can see him in Bowie by July. C Matt Stanley was brought up to Fort Meade after a good year in rookie ball in 2009 and has been on track for April in AA. He’s hit .321 in April but I will wait for some more AB’s to see if he can keep it up. Stanley definitely has the talent to be up in Bowie soon, I just need a larger sample size. 2B Steve Gebo ,who I called as a “late bloomer” in the preseason, really hasn’t bloomed at all in his first season at Fort Meade sadly, and has struggled through 19 games. Also RF Justin Henderson has been above average in AA after a good start in 2009. I need more AB’s for him like all the other prospects so far and I hope to see him make the jump to Bowie by the end of the year.

I expect a rough May and a lot of disappointment, but I’m looking forward to the draft and the number one pick. We start next week with three at home against St. Albans and then we host Springfield for three interleague games.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #13
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 5 2010

Week 5: May 3 - May 9, 2010

St. Albans Millers (12-12) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (15-9) May 3 – May 5, 2010

The Millers have had a very similar and tortured history as we have but now they look to be on the rise. Batter of the Month, Tim Garland looks like one of the best players in the league and even with three of their best players out due to injury, this team looks like it can fight for the Atlantic.

5/3/2010 STA 5 GB 1 W – Travis Lambing (2-0) L – Corey Grabarz (1-1)
Travis Lambing was pretty great for the Millers but Blue Claws starter, Doug Higgins wasn’t much worse. His good performance was in vain though as the Glen Burnie bullpen blew the game. Tied 1-1 in the eighth, LF Matt Kelcher hit a two run shot off Grabarz and in the ninth, Salce gave up another two run shot to SS Chris Chinnis. We kept the game close but we deserved to lose with such a terrible performance form both the bullpen and our lineup. Higgins had another great start and has looked much better than what his role in the rotation is.

5/4/2010 STA 6 GB 8 W – Matt Patrie (1-0) L – Will Thacker (2-1)
The hitters showed up today after yesterday’s disappointment. George Clark hit a massive three run homer in the first as Glen Burnie jumped to a quick 4-0 lead through three. Things changed when 3B Fernando Cordova hit a similar three run homer off Danny in the fourth and two innings later, Cordova drove in the tying run off a big single. Dustin Wyatt would give us the 5-4 lead in the bottom of the sixth off an RBI single and we’d hold on for the 8-6 win. A big scare occurred in the eight when Nate Maloney had to be taken out due to injury, but luckily it came back as some back soreness and he’ll be out for one day.

5/5/2010 STA 3 GB 4 W – Mike Kamar (2-0) L – Trey Barnard (1-2)
Millers starter Juan Vargas was dominant in his seven innings of work but everything changed in the eighth. With only five hits through seven innings, the Blue Claws offense again looked to doom them from winning but a big error from 3B Fernando Cordova leads to two runs in the eighth for the Blue Claws. Down 3-2 in the ninth with two men on base, Kanda hits a walk off two run single to win 4-3!!!! It was an exciting and unexpected way to win the series against the Millers and it leaves me being pretty happy at how well this team is playing.

Another lucky series win at home against St. Albans as we win with some stellar luck and some clutch plays. After a nice series win, we gain a two game lead on Durham in the Atlantic as they lose two of three in Parma. Again I’m not getting my hopes up, but I do appreciate the luck and some skill that this team is winning games with.

Springfield Fighters (13-15) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (17-10) May 7-9, 2010

Springfield comes into Glen Burnie as our first interleague opponent of the year. While we are the worst team in the history of the CRBL, the Fighters aren’t close behind at 704-944 in the first ten years. They started the season as a decent squad but have been struggling as of late, losing three of four to Dubuque earlier this week and getting swept by Glendale in the week prior. The Fighters really don’t have any stars and are led by 33-year-old 2B Juan Garcia. Garcia has started the season well as he is hitting .318 and has an OPS+ of 139. I’m hoping for another good series at home.

5/7/2010 SPR 5 GB 6 W – Chris Miller (1-3) L – Bryan Baker (1-3) SV – Nate Maloney
Don’t let Miller getting a win fool you, he was awful again today. It’s just that Fighters starter Bryan Baker was even worse somehow. A six run inning in the bottom of the third gave us the lead at 6-2 and somehow we held on. The bullpen looked dominant as they held on to a one run lead for three more innings. Josh DeLap went down with an injury while pitching but like Maloney earlier this week, it’s a one-day injury.

5/8/2010 SPR 5 GB 4 (16) W – Jake Evers (3-0) L – Matt Patrie (1-1)
Wow what a crazy game. Eric Curtis outpitched Springfield starter Dante Garcia through six but Maloney blew the save in the ninth to a Travis Wood RBI single. Both teams had their chances in extras as a total of 14 pitchers were used between the two teams, but it all changed when Patrie gave up an RBI single to Tyler Martin and Springfield RP Jake Evers shut us out for the win. Evers looks really good by the way. This is first season in the majors and he already looks like a dominant reliever with a 1.61 ERA. Tough loss but we’ve been winning so many close games that it’s bound to come around the other way.

5/9/2010 SPR 4 GB 2 W – Christian Watkins (2-2) L – Doug Higgins (1-2) SV – Jeff Vitagliano (1)
Christian Watkins pitched very well in eight innings pitched as our hitting sputters against good pitching talent. Higgins had a lackluster game as he allows three runs in six innings while the offense only mustered five hits. I didn’t realize this but Jeff Vitagliano is an amazing story. Drafted third in the 2002 draft, Vitigliano is a two-way player who has made two all-star appearances as a left fielder while also being an excellent reliever. So this guy is an all-star left fielder and has the potential to be a pretty good closer too. He is such an interesting and unique player and I’ll be definitely checking to see how he does.

We go from third to fifth in the weekly power rankings after our 3-3 week. The Lake Charles Lakers jump to the top spot after a 6-1 week and look like one of the best team in the CRBL. Centennial drops to second and Enterprise is at third after a 4-2 week. Hattiesburg and Murfreesboro end the week at 23 and 24 respectively and while their records are terrible, they’ve both been winning more than in April.

In the Atlantic, we still have a one game lead over Durham after they go 4-3 on the week. Portsmouth, Meriden and Parma all sit a game or two over .500 and have been average as of late while St. Albans have struggled, losing their last five games and nine of ten. Next week we travel to Hawaii to play the Hilo Sun Sox and then we travel back east to play Portsmouth.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-10-2018, 01:07 AM   #14
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 6 2010

Week 6: May 10 – May 16, 2010

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (18-12) vs Hilo Sun Sox (14-18) May 11-13, 2010

“The Pride of Hawaii” have been playing pretty bad as of late and have gone 2-7 In May so far. The Sun Sox won the Pacific title in the inaugural RCBL season but have since been a team that has yet to have a season at .500 or above. The Sox are led by Bryan Velez who is a dynamic, 25-year-old third baseman who is in his fourth season with Hilo. He has struggled so far and only has an OPS+ of 105 when many expected him to be a top tier player in the league. I don’t think the players mind this road trip too much as this is the best road place to play in the CRBL by far. A player would rather be in Hilo than in Yankton or Post Falls.

5/11/2010 GB 4 HIL 2 W – Danny Munguia (4-1) L – Cruz Campos (1-3) SV - Nate Maloney (9)
Munguia pitched well today and the offense showed up as we win 4-2. All of the runs in this game were scored in the fifth as we drive in four off some lucky hits and mistakes. With a man on second and third, Brackin hit a fly ball to left field, but Marcus Cannon dropped the ball and both runs scored. Then Kanda hit a two run homer to bring in Brackin and that’s four runs already. Hilo answered back in their half of the fifth off two RBI singles, but it wasn’t enough. Munguia and the bullpen played well in the end and gave us a lucky win.

5/12/2010 GB 3 HIL 8 W – Edgar Garcia (4-2) L – Jeff Hall (3-1)
Sun Sox starter Edgar Garcia had his best start of the year as Jeff Hall has his worst. RF Steve Murphy hit a three run shot in the third which started the scoring for Hilo and while we got some runs to keep it close, we allowed three more runs in the eighth and lost a bad game 8-3. Not much else to say about this crappy game.

5/13/2010 GB 6 HIL 2 (14) W – Matt Patrie (2-1) L – Mark Delhomme (0-1)
Chris Miller looked like an actual starter today but a costly error by Chris in the fifth allowed two runs to score. Luckily the lineup bailed him out as they get a run off a Valenzuela sac fly in the second and a game tying RBI single from Rodolfo Perez in the eighth. With the game tied at 2-2, it went to extra innings as nothing really occurred until the thirteenth. In the bottom of the inning, Hilo came close to scoring but Patrie got a huge strikeout on C Mike Garcia to end the inning. Then in the fourteenth, we scored four runs and pulled out the win somehow. This team’s Pythagorean record is 17-16 so I don’t expect us to have too much luck in the future after some clutch wins early in the season.

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (20-13) vs Portsmouth Clippers (17-16) May 14-16, 2010
This Portsmouth team have been hovering around .500 for the whole season so far and yet sit in fifth in the Atlantic due to the whole division being pretty good. Superstar 1B Lupe Lopez got injured in late April and will stay out for seven more weeks from a fractured thumb. We are 1-2 against the Clippers this year and we face them for the first time in New Hampshire.

5/14/2010 GB 5 POR 3 W – Eric Curtis (3-0) L – Luis Escorza (2-4) SV – Mike Kamar (2)
We take our first game in Portsmouth as Eric Curtis has a great start for the Blue Claws. Seven innings, six hits and two runs allowed but only one earned. We score two runs in the third off a Valenzuela two run single and in the fifth we got three runs off RBI singles from Matt Ritter and SP Eric Curtis. Maloney gave up a run in the ninth and then injured himself which still needs to be diagnosed. Kamar took over and saved the game. I am very worried about the Maloney situation because he is the main reason why we have won so many close games and I need him in that closer role.

5/15/2010 GB 8 POR 5 (12) W – Edgar Salce (2-0) L – Dan Jenkins (0-2)
First of all, I learned this morning that Maloney was diagnosed with some back stiffness but it’s not serious and he’ll be back in the bullpen tomorrow. Now to the game. Another crazy extra innings win as our bullpen yet again gives us the win. Up 5-1 in the seventh, Portsmouth made a furious comeback, scoring four off Joe Olson which ties the game at five. The game went to extras and a huge error from Portsmouth SP Jenkins in the twelfth inning gave us the 8-5 win. I don’t know how this team keeps doing it and I keep expecting it all to fall apart soon, but it’s not.

5/16/2010 GB 5 POR 4 W – Joe Olson (1-0) L – Shane Sellick (2-5) SV- Jorge Amador (1)
Wow! We sweep the Clippers on the road in three really tight wins. A three run homer from Steve Hue in the second gives the Claws a 3-0 lead to start the game. Portsmouth 2B Adam Gottlieb played insanely well today as he hit a two run homer in the third and then hit an RBI single in the fourth to tie the game at four. George Clark hit a huge RBI single in the seventh and the bullpen closed the game out after a below average Munguia start.

Glen Burnie jumps from fifth to second in the weekly power rankings as they have a 5-1 week. For a team slated to have 96 losses, we’ve been awesome as of late. The Lake Charles Lakers stay at first after another good week and are tied with Centennial with the best record in the league at 25-12. Murfreesboro stay in last but St. Albans drops down to 23 as they’ve lost eleven straight and look like they are falling to the bottom of the league quickly.

In the Atlantic, Glen Burnie stays a game up on Durham as they have a great week just like Glen Burnie and have won five in a row. Meriden has been great too, winning four straight and are still in contention to take the division lead. Parma and Portsmouth have both been struggling and will look to stay around .500 and improve while St. Albans look terrible and have lost eleven straight. We play four games in Connecticut to start the week against Meriden for a huge series, then we travel down to Georgia to play the defending champs Savannah for three. This could be the week where expectations actually hit with two great teams in the schedule for next week. Before next week though, there will be another RCBL article on Centennial and how they have looked like the best in the West through 36 games.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #15
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Centennial the Best in the West?

RCBL.com FEATURE – May 17, 2010

Centennial the Best in the West?

The Mountaineers sit at 25-12 through a month and a half, tied for the best record in the entire CRBL. This taste of success has never truly been felt for this franchise as they have yet to have a winning record in their ten years in the league. In the inaugural 2000 season, it seemed that the Mountaineers needed a big rebuild and have been trying to reach a point of contention since that first season. It looks like that point has been reached as they have taken the Pacific Division by storm. Enterprise have looked pretty good thus far into the year and trail by three games, but the other four teams in the division are far behind.

The core of this Centennial squad is two dynamic offensive forces in 1B Matt Vardakis and RF Justin Bridges. Both are 24 and are in their second seasons in the majors. Vardakis won the WL Rookie of the Year and batted .352 with a 156 OPS+, and it looks to be one of the best rookie seasons in the CRBL. Bridges made a big impact in his first season back in 2009 with 24 homers, .314 BA and 3.3 WAR. But this season Bridges has been even better with 12 homers already and while he hasn’t hit for average as much as the previous season, he’s on pace for 53 homers and 201 RBI which is crazy for a second year player. Another player to watch is another 24-year-old in Luis Martinez who has hit .341 with a 143 OPS+ so far in his second season in the majors. With two dominant superstars, one great leadoff hitter and a solid rotation and bullpen, this is a team that can win it all. It looks like the ten year rebuild is over in Centennial as this young and talented team looks to take the league over.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Bigfish1287; 07-11-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #16
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 7 2010

Week 7: May 17-23, 2010

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (23-13) vs Meriden Redbirds (21-16) May 17-20,2010

This is our first series against the Redbirds and it’s a pivotal four game set in Connecticut. The Redbirds have been a hot team, winning four straight going into this game, like us. They are led by rookie catcher Andy Blair, who has stayed on a great pace after winning the EL Rookie of the Month award. Historically Meriden has yet to make a postseason appearance in the first ten years, but have always been close to winning the division. In the Atlantic, Durham travels to Portsmouth for three and struggling St. Albans hosts the Parma Bulldogs.

5/17/2010 GB 3 MER 2
W – Jeff Hall (4-1) L – Scott Sapien (3-4) SV – Jorge Amador (2)
Jeff Hall had a great night tonight as he goes seven innings with five hits, two runs allowed and seven punch-outs. We took a 2-0 lead by the fourth inning off an RBI single by Valenzuela in the second and an RBI double from Hue in the fourth. The game was tied in the sixth though, after a solo shot from Jaylin Simmons and a sac fly RBI to bring Dave Ardrey home. Luckily we had George Clark to bail us out as he hit a big double off Sapien to drive the winning run home. The bullpen then held the Redbirds to one hit in two innings and I can’t explain how we keep winning these games.

5/18/2010 GB 3 MER 7
W – Corey Thomas (6-0) L – Chris Miller (1-4)
Chris Miller had a terrible start again and actually had to stop pitching in the fifth due to an injury. This is a good time to change the rotation up and place Miller in the bullpen going forward while we slide Amador in the rotation, who has the capability to be a fifth starter till Martinez comes back. Our lineup struggled against Redbird SP Corey Thomas as he gives up four hits and two runs in six innings of solid work. Matt Ritter hit a solo shot in the fourth to tie the game up at 1-1 but everything changed when Miller blew up in the fifth.

5/19/2010 GB 2 MER 4 W – Juan Novo (1-0) L – Eric Curtis (3-1) SV – Jeremiah Neal (10)
A four run bottom of the first seemingly put the game away already. Brian Sain hit a pivotal three run blast off Curtis to put the Redbirds up 4-0 early. Curtis pitched really well after that horrible inning but sadly our lineup couldn’t do enough damage to get it tied. Just a tough way to lose when one inning puts the game out of reach.

5/20/2010 GB 2 MER 9 W – Jimmy Pery (2-4) L – Doug Higgins (1-3)
This game was very similar to yesterday as we give up six runs in the first off a three run homer from Dave Ardrey, a two run single from Jay Kozlowski and an RBI single from Aaron Holmes. Higgins only lasted four innings as he gave up seven runs off seven hits. We scored some consolidation runs but it wasn’t enough as we lose three of four to Meriden.

Glen Burnie Blue Claws (24-16) vs Savannah Chiefs (21-20) May 21-23, 2010

The defending champs had a great April where they looked to compete for the division title but since then, they’ve been 6-12. In their last series, they were swept in four at home to Lake Charles and have now lost five straight. Sitting at eight games behind the Lakers for the Gulf Coast, this team needs to start getting some wins now before their title defense is all but a fantasy. We need to watch out for 1B Tony Gonzalez who won back to back MVPs in 2006 and 2007. He’s been struggling as of late but he can still turn it on against us pretty easily.

5/21/2010 GB 5 SAV 1 W – Danny Munguia (5-1) L – Roberto Avila (1-5)
Munguia pitched another great start as he only allowed one run off six hits in six innings of work. All our offense was generated in the fourth with a huge three run homer from Chris Martinez who’s been awful to start the season but that was nice to see. Wyatt and Gilmore drove the other two runs in as our bullpen cruises through the last three innings not even allowing one hit. All around good performance after the last series.

5/22/2010 GB 0 SAV 8 W – Estanislau Malva (2-1) L – Jorge Amafor (0-1)
This team didn’t bother to show up today and it bothers me. This was Amador’s first start replacing Miller, and after the first four innings, he sure looked a lot like Chris Miller with five runs off of five hits today. But the real issue was Malva, who as a 22-year-old kid looked dominant. We only mustered up four hits all game as Malva pitched eight strong innings for the Chiefs. A win tomorrow would make me feel better after this bad game.

5/23/2010 GB 4 SAV 0 W – Jeff Hall (5-1) L – Eric Sanders (0-1)
Hall!!! Again! Another superb start from Hall as he pitches a complete game shutout against the defending champions!! It seems like Munguia, Hall and the bullpen have been carrying the load for this whole year and have been the reasons for our success so far. Chiefs starter Kasper Baran left the game in the second with an injury and his replacement, Eric Sanders lost them the game. Bracamontes, who has seven career homers, hit one off Sanders in the fourth bringing home two. This is a huge win today and Munguia and Hall look to be our one-two punch that can actually lead this crappy team to some big wins.

Our Pythagorean record is 21-22 and we now sit at 26-17. That’s putting into perspective how lucky we’ve been this season. Also we’ve played 28 games on the road and only 15 at home so while our luck will most likely swing around at some point, we get more games at home too.

We drop from second to fourth in the power rankings as we have a 3-4 week. Centennial now has the first spot and Lake Charles holds second as both have been the best in the league for a while now. St. Albans drops down to last as they have a 2-4 week and look to compete with Hattiesburg and Murfreesboro for the worst team in the CRBL.

In the Atlantic, Glen Burnie still somehow holds onto first by a half game. Meriden is now in second and has been arguably the hottest team in the league as of now, having a 5-2 week and winning eight of their last ten games. Durham has struggled like us, splitting a four game set with the Clippers and losing two of three to the lowly Murfreesboro Arsenal. Parma sit in fourth with a decent gap between them and Durham and have been average at best, even though they were predicted to win the division. Portsmouth isn’t far behind in fifth and have performed very similarly to Parma. In last are the Millers who’ve been dreadful and have gone from above average when May began, to now a bottom feeder as they have only won three in the whole month.

All of next week will be back at home, against many Gulf Coast teams. We come back to Maryland and host Murfreesboro for three and then Fort Worth will come to town after that, which will be a good match-up for us.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 8 2010

Week 8: May 24-30, 2010

Murfreesboro Arsenal (14-29) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (26-17) May 25-27,2010

The Arsenal have been the worst team in the CRBL and they are tied with us for the worst record in CRBL history at 690-973. Murfreesboro made the playoffs in their inaugural season and lost the CRBL championship to Dubuque in six games. After that, they had a long spell of rebuilding and bad teams until 2008 and 2009 when they stayed above .500 and competed. Well now it looks like they will be back in the rebuilding stage yet again after such a horrible start to the season. They are led by 27-year-old 2B Jonathan Foster who is a three-time all-star. They have some talent to be a below average to average team but their pitching staff has really been bad, ranked last in the EL in runs allowed. Let’s hope the bats can hit against a team like this.

5/24/2010 MUR 6 GB 4 W – Tim Sutherland (2-1) L – Edgar Salce (2-1) SV – Steve Durand (5)
Arsenal 3B Malachi Moore crushed us tonight as he hits two solo shots that made the difference in this one. Moore only had two coming into the game and by the end of it, he doubled his total with one off Curtis in the fourth and one off Maloney in the ninth. Salce, who has been absolutely stellar, blew this one in the seventh with the game tied at four. Jonathan Foster hit a RBI single to bring home a run and with the solo shot from Moore in the ninth, the game was effectively over.

5/25/2010 MUR 3 GB 1 W – Juan Gomez (5-2) L – Doug Higgins (1-4) SV – Steve Durand (6)
Another tough, close loss where Juan Gomez pitched lights out and our lineup really couldn’t do anything to stop him. George Clark went 3-3 with a RBI double that brought our only run in but that was the lone bright spot. It sucks for Higgins too as he wasn’t too bad today and if the offense could muster up some hits, things could have easily been different.

5/26/2010 MUR 11 GB 7 W – Brett Moss (2-4) L – Danny Munguia (5-2)
It’s the first time we’ve been swept all season and it’s at home to the worst team in the league. I knew there would be a fall after such lucky wins, but not like this. Munguia was not himself today and the bullpen actually gave up five runs in the eighth to really put this one away.

Fort Worth Mustangs (25-22) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (26-20) May 28-31, 2010

The Mustangs have been pretty good in the month of May, going 14-10 and while they sit six games behind the Lake Charles Lakers for the division, they can easily catch up with some good play. Superstar RF Jose Rico is back though and in ten games he’s hitting .447 with two homers. So he’ll be sure to be a massive problem for our staff this weekend. This is a big series for us to see if we can stop this massive skid.

5/28/2010 FW 2 GB 0
Jon Olmos (2-0) L – Jeff Hall (5-2) SV – Sandy Rodrigues (16)
Hall pitched well enough in this one but still took the loss. Kanda went 2-2 with a walk but he was the only hitter with any kind of success against Olmos and the Fort Worth bullpen as they shut us out. I haven’t liked how much we’ve had to rely on stellar pitching performances every night when this offense can’t produce any runs.

5/29/2010 FW 1 GB 0 (11) W – Jeremy Murphy (1-0) L – Edgar Salce (2-2) SV- Vincente Solano (1)
Lady Luck seems to have turned on us here as Amador has a great second start but we only had four hits all night. A big David Watkins double brought home the only run all game, and the Mustangs again sneak by with a victory.

5/30/2010 FW 9 GB 0 W – Cameron Tackett (3-7) L – Curtis (3-2) SV – Arturo Dominguez (1)
Three games, zero runs as we get swept again and finish the week at 0-6. This is just dreadful to watch and while I expected a fall off, this is the worst way for it to happen.

We drop massively in the power rankings as we go from fourth to fifteenth and that’s generous. Centennial stay in first as their division rival Enterprise jumps to second after a 5-1 week. Glendale sit in last as the most successful team in CRBL history now is the worst team in the CRBL.

With our six game losing streak, we now sit tied for third with Parma at 26-23. Meriden now holds the first place spot as they have been the best team in the division as of late. Durham sits in second, a game and a half behind as they’ve been mediocre. Parma has been turning it around as of late and went 5-1 this week while sweeping the Lake Charles Lakers which is super impressive. Portsmouth sit closely behind the Bulldogs while St. Albans sit at the bottom but will eventually have company when we get down there at some point.

The next post will be the next week's results and the post after will be a May Review of awards, the team and our prospects!
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 AM   #18
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

Week 9 2010

Week 9: May 31 - June 6, 2010

Auburn Tigers (23-26) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (26-23) May 31 - June 2, 2010

We last met the Tigers in late April and took two of three games. They’ve been hovering around .500 for most of the season thus far and don’t look to contend at all against a great Lake Charles squad. 2B Daniel Goes is on pace to make his fifth all-star appearance while 3B Jim Monteau also will most likely make it in. Starters Rocky Mendoza and Alex Rubio have been solid this season but the rest of the rotation has been a mess as they sit in eleventh in the EL for rotation ERA. I hope we can end this dreaded six game losing streak at some point this week.

5/31/2010 AUB 5 GB 1 W – Ricky Mendoza (6-3) L – Doug Higgins (1-5)
Mendoza was on fire tonight as he allows only three hits and one run in seven innings of work. Just another pitiful performance from this team offensively as George Clark was the only hitter with any success tonight as he goes 2-3 with the sole RBI for Glen Burnie. The streak goes on to seven as we free fall down the Atlantic Division.

6/1/2010 AUB 1 GB 8 W – Danny Munguia (6-2) L – Jon Avila (3-4)
If any one player were to get us out of this dire slump, it would be Danny. In six innings for Munguia, he only gives up one run off five hits and Olson pitches the last three innings, only allowing one hit which is also impressive. Auburn starter Jon Avila got injured in the second and will be out for a couple days. It didn’t matter though as we had already got to him that inning for two runs off a Clark 2 RBI single. Even with the great pitching performance, Jorge Valenzuela was the player of the game as he went 3-4 with a big triple and two singles that drove home two. A great turnaround here and hopefully we can get back to winning some games.

6/2/2010 AUB 4 GB 5 W – Jeff Hall (6-2) L – Ricky Gonzalez (1-1) SV – Nate Maloney (10)
A four run inning in the fourth gave us the win as we hold off the Tigers for a big series win at home. Kanda was excellent today as he went 3-3 with a RBI double and a clutch two RBI single in the fourth to give us the 5-4 lead. The bullpen was excellent again today as we held on to that 5-4 lead for five solid innings. This is the kind of performance we needed to keep staying competitive in the division.

Durham Dukes (30-24) vs Glen Burnie Blue Claws (28-24) June 3-5, 2010
This is a massive set of games for both teams as they are only a game apart in the standings. Durham was struggling around the same time we were losing seven straight and they just lost two of three to Hattiesburg. With Parma and Durham two and a half games back and Glen Burnie only a game behind them, the division couldn’t be any closer. With three starters on the DL, the Dukes have brought up AAA starter, Miguel Torres who I’m hoping we can do well against. We’ve split the season series at three a piece so far and in both previous series, there have been some really good games.

6/4/2010 DUR 3 GB 2 W – Bruce Vargas (1-1) L – Corey Grabarz (1-2) SV – Koji Masuda (12)
A battle between two inexperienced starters in Amador and Miguel Torres. They both had very similar starts as they both allow two runs each on seven and five hits respectively. The game was decided by a key double by Josh Pink and a sac fly by C Tommy Frank brought in the winning run. None of our hitters could do anything against Masuda as he is one of the best closers in the league. Tough loss and with Curtis and Higgins starting in the next two, I doubt we can take a game here.

NOTE: The 2010 amateur draft is today, the fifth, but I will do a separate post on who we drafted and the overall event. Also Justin Harding is back off the DL and we will place in as the setup man as Maloney has been an excellent closer and I don’t see a point in switching it around with such success. We demote RP Joe Olsen who has been a league average reliever for us when he replaced Harding, but he’s the best option to move down as everyone else in the bullpen has the talent and numbers to stay.

6/5/2010 DUR 5 GB 6 W – Corey Greabarz (2-2) L – Koji Masuda (1-1)
We just pulled a four run comeback in the ninth against one of the best closers in the RCBL! Crazy. Durham ace John Murray was dominant today as he pitched eight solid innings and gave up two runs on six hits. Eric Curtis on the other hand was terrible and has now given up 18 runs in his last four starts. George Clark was the hero as his base clearing double in the ninth won us the game in the ninth as Masuda walked four, one of them driving a run in to make the deficit 5-3. Then the double drove in three, giving us the victory.

6/6/2010 DUR 6 GB 7 W – Edgar Salce (3-2) L – Jim Donaldson (0-3)
Looks like Lady Luck felt the need to come back to Maryland as we walkoff again with another four run ninth! Higgins was excellent today as he pitched six innings and gave up two runs, one earned. Up 3-2 in the ninth, Nate Maloney blew up for us as he gives up two, two run homers in the ninth and it’s destined for us to lose 6-3. But a miracle happens, we match Durham and score four runs in the bottom of the ninth to win the game. Trent Brackin is the hero today as he redeems himself after a bad start to his season with a two out, three run walkoff homer off Jim Donaldson for us to win the game. Brackin has been terrible this season and has been a huge scapegoat for many fans of the Blue Claws, but this was huge as we take two of three in back to back ninth inning comebacks.

We jump six spots to ninth in the weekly power rankings after our solid 4-2 week. Centennial stays in first as they’ve been the best team in the RCBL record wise. Waukesha jumps to second after a 5-1 week to start June. Glendale sits in last while Hattiesburg stays at 23. The Lightning have also fired manager Bubba Weeks after four seasons with the team. Weeks is most known for his time managing Waukesha, winning two division titles. Weeks led Hattiesburg to the playoffs in his first season in 2007, but the team has been slowly declining since and are now sitting at 21-35.

The Atlantic has been super tight as the top four teams are only two and half games apart in the standings. Meriden still leads by a game and a half but are losing some ground to the Parma Bulldogs who’ve been the hottest team in the RCBL, winning eight of their last ten. Glen Burnie and Durham sit a game behind Parma as both teams have struggled as of late. In any other division Portsmouth wouldn’t be in fifth, but with so many competing teams, it’s tough for them to stay close. St. Albans is still in last by a good amount but they’ve been playing a lot better lately and are on pace to get out of the bottom. They’ve recently took two of three from division leader Meriden which is encouraging.

Next week I will go over May awards and review the team and our prospects performance in May. Then I’ll focus on the amateur draft that happened on the fifth which was super exciting. We start next week with four games in Parma as we play the streaking Bulldogs. Then we travel to South Dakota to play the interleague Yankton Miners who have been very similar to us.

The WPA graphs of those two crazy games against Durham are attached to the post, I’ve never seen anything like this while playing the game honestly, especially back-to-back like that.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

May 2010 Award and Review

May 2010 Review:

Rookie of the Month

EL: Meriden C Andy Blair (.392 4 HR 17 RBI in May)

WL: Yankton CF Mack Silvia (.333 8 HR 19 RBI in May)

Both Silvia and Blair win their second consecutive Rookie of the Month awards and are already the best players on their respective teams. Blair looks to be the best catcher in the league already and leads the EL in BA and is second in OPS. Silvia also looks to be a top three center fielder in the RCBL and has been the MVP for Yankton thus far.

Pitcher of the Month

EL: Meriden CL Jeremiah Neal (1-0 2.20 ERA 10 SV in May)

WL: Yankton SP Keith Baker (5-0 0.96 ERA in May)

Jeremiah Neal was a huge help to the Meriden Redbirds as he closed out ten games and looks to be one of the best in the league. Keith Baker was dominant in May as he is now the WL leader in ERA after a fantastic month.

Batter of the Month

EL: Parma 3B Jeff Mason (.394 6 HR 20 RBI in May)

WL: Post Falls CF Desmond Waddell (.412 10 HR 20 RBI)

The Parma Bulldogs went 17-11 in May and a huge part of that was Jeff Mason. Mason has been the best player for the Bulldogs this season so far especially with their struggles with the rotation. Waddell was even better though as he tore through the RCBL in May and is easily on pace to win his second WL MVP. Next to Fernando Rendon, Waddell is arguably the second best player in the league.

Glen Burnie May Review and Thoughts:

The regression of this team was bound to happen as we go from a 14-8 record in April to a 12-16 record in May. The offense hasn’t done anything as we sit in last or next to last in every offensive category throughout the EL except walks.

Two players who have been terrible offensively and have contributed to our struggles have been 3B Trent Brackin and surprisingly C Chris Martinez. Brackin is sitting at an OPS+ of 37 and a .182 BA. His May was dreadful as he hit .126 and an OPS of .360. He will be replaced by Alex Coronado who should be a better option for now even though he’s nothing special either. Chris Martinez was supposed to be one of our better players but now he looks like he couldn’t even hit a beach ball. If it weren’t for his above average defensive ability at catcher, he’d be the worst player on our team by far this season.

Luckily Munguia, Hall and the bullpen have been the catalysts for this team, and without them we’d be in the basement of the division. Amador has looked good as a replacement starter so far as he holds a 2.70 ERA and has only had one bad start in three so far. I’m looking forward to having Jordan Martinez back off the DL though and he will be back in eight weeks’ time as a solid third man in the rotation. I expect this team to continue to struggle more, but I haven’t been correct on many things this season so who knows.

On to the prospects, Adam Baker was dominant in AA Fort Meade after struggling in AAA Bowie. We brought him back up to Bowie a week ago and he’s had one lackluster start so far. I plan to keep him there and to give him some more starts but if he struggles there again, I’ll bring him back to AA for the rest of the season. SP Eric DeRolf we last saw doing well in AA Fort Meade, but he’s been worse this month and doesn’t look like he deserves to get promoted at the moment. I hope for a bounce back month for him. C Matt Stanley and RF Justin Henderson have been in AA and have been average at best and I don’t expect either will look good enough for AAA Bowie yet. We have a couple more prospects of importance, but they are still in rookie ball and their season starts on June 22.

I’m looking forward to seeing our prospects in rookie ball, especially our new draftees who I will be previewing in the next post.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 AM   #20
Bigfish1287
Minors (Single A)

2010 Amateur Draft Review

2010 Amateur Draft Review – June 5, 2010

After finishing the 2009 season with a 59-103 record which was worst in the league, we get the number one pick in the draft. The Dubuque Huskers get the second pick, St. Albans gets the third, Hilo gets the fourth and Salem gets fifth to round out the top five picks. The draft pool seems to be pretty weak but there’s only one consensus number one pick and I will take him without a second guess.

With the first pick in the 2010 Amateur Draft the Glen Burnie Blue Claws select…

1B Keith Berry, 21, Baltimore College Underdogs

This is the pick. While he listed as a first basemen, he can play left field fairly well also which I really like. Great contact and gap power, a good eye at the plate but his home run power has potential to be top ten in the RCBL. Berry is the guy for this team and looks to be a superstar for the future. I’m psyched.

The Huskers took SP Tyler Becker who looks to be a top rotation guy but he doesn’t have the superstar potential that Berry had. St. Albans took RP Adam Galletta who could be another solid starter but he needs his circle change to develop if he wants to be a good starter in the league. Hilo took RF Eric Normandeau, who OSA likes a lot more than my head scout does. He could be a solid starter in the league, and maybe an all-star but he needs to grow more to gain that same pedigree as Berry is. Salem took Chris Wilson, another outfielder who is very similar to Normandeau but has excellent base running ability.
I will now go over our next eleven picks in this twelve round draft.

Round 2 Pick 1, SP Ronnie Mann, 19, El Monte HS Hooks
Mann could be a solid mid-rotation option if he can develop. I like how he has four pitches in his arsenal with two of them looking solid already. OSA doesn’t like him too much but my scout sees a lot of potential out of Mann and I’m hoping he can be the “Mann” for the job.

Round 3 Pick 1, 2B Frank Daniel, 19, Columbus HS Warriors
This kid can hit the ball in play and play some above average defense. In a weak draft this looks to be a good pick. Daniel looks like he may be a while getting through the minors as he is very raw but, if he can reach his ceiling he can be a good starter in the majors.

Round 4 Pick 1, 1B Adam Callahan, 19, Newport News HS Players
He came into the draft as a first basemen but he’s a much better catcher. He isn’t here for his defense though so I will consider whether to keep him at first or move him to catcher in the future. Regardless of his position, we drafted Callahan for his hitting potential. Adam looks to be a really patient and intelligent hitter which I really like and if he can hit for power and get on base at a decent rate without committing too many errors, he could be a solid player.

Round 5 Pick 1, RF Aaron Kuhrt, 22, Ft. Worth College Blue Jackets
Kuhrt is a great defensive player at right and can be a dominant threat on the bases but I worry about his hitting ability. If he can be a disciplined hitter that can hit for extra bases once in a while, he’ll be a worthwhile selection here. He has no power but that’s not why we drafted him. Kuhrt looks to be a prospect to watch in the future.

Round 6 Pick 1, SP Raul Herrera, 19, Gainesville HS Olympians
He says he’s impossible to sign but I really like Herrera and I’m willing to spend some extra money to get him in our system. He looks pretty well developed for a 19-year-old and should do well in rookie ball if he can sign. He’s another pitcher like Mann who could be a mid-rotation piece for years to come and I hope he will sign.

Round 7 Pick 1, SP Mark Albrecht, 19, Elizabeth HS Allstars
This pick doesn’t look too good and I can’t see him making it out of the minors sadly. He could maybe be a below average reliever in the RCBL but not as a starter. I will keep an eye on him but I won’t be looking as hard as the first six picks.

Round 8 Pick 1, RF Mike McKellar, 19, Spring Valley HS Night Riders
Our scout loves this guy and if he pans out, I will too. He is above average at most things actually and he will be a fun prospect to watch and see if he can progress to the level we think he can.

Round 9 Pick 1, SP Mario Barrera, 19, San Diego HS Colts
Barrera looks not good enough to be a major league starter and he is extremely raw. I do actually like him a little better than Albrecht but I don’t ever see him making it out of AAA.

Round 10 Pick 1, C Sean Meadows, 21, Boston College Warhawks
Below average defense, has the homer potential and the plate patience but doesn’t look like he can hit or a high enough average for AAA, let alone the majors.

Round 11 Pick 1, RP Joaquin Garza, 22, Charlotte College Wingnuts
Yikes. Garza looks bad and looks like a decent AAA reliever at best. Who knows what can happen but I don’t like the odds.

Round 12 Pick 1, LF Joel Rodriguez, 19, Waco HS Night Train
Rodriguez wants a two million dollar signing bonus even though he probably won’t ever hit above the Mendoza line in AAA, let alone in the majors. Best of luck finding someone who’ll pay that.

Overall I really liked our draft and will keep an eye on the first six round draft picks and eight round pick McKellar. I don’t see the others ever contributing but I will lookout for a sudden change.
Attached Images
Image Image