Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #61
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

June 20th-June 26th

June 20th, 1904: New York RF Armando Chavez and Baltimore CF Jonathan Nagy were Players of the Week.

We remained 5th in the Power Rankings. At 39-32, we are in 2nd place, 9 behind out opponent today, the St. Louis Lightning, and 1 ahead of our next opponent, the New York Rebels.

We were in St. Louis for a three game set with the previously mentioned Lightning. The opener saw Josh Fisher (1-4, 4.99 ERA, 1.45 WHIP) go against Ron Howard (6-1, 4.66 ERA, 1.39 WHIP). We couldn't get anything going on offense, and we were topped 3-1.

Fisher went 8, allowing 7 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, and striking out 6.

Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and RBI. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

June 21st, 1904: We looked to even up the series in a very fair match-up, Cody Hall (5-4, 5.55 ERA, 1.43 WHIP) versus Bobby Brosius (8-4, 2.11 ERA, 0.86 WHIP). But, sometimes baseball doesn't make sense, and we destroyed our hosts 8-2!

Yeah, not too sure what happened here...

Hall looked good, 7 innings with 6 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), a walk, and 3 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson struck out 1 in 2 innings of relief.

Jesus Camargo was a perfect 4-for-4 with 2 homers and 4 RBI's. Jeremy Bell was 3-for-5 with a double and 2 runs scored. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a steal, 2 homers, and 4 RBI's. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a double. Andy Palme was 1-for-4 with a walk and 2 runs scored.

June 22nd, 1904: We looked to take the rubber match and steal the series with Matt Puckett (7-3, 4.35 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) facing Eddie Long (9-4, 3.50 ERA, 1.15 WHIP). I almost had flashbacks of yesterday, and we won again, 8-2!

One new occurrence was Jesus Camargo leaving with mild shoulder inflammation. He'll miss about 2 weeks.

Giobbe Capauana was 3-for-5 with a double, homer, 3 runs, and 2 RBI's. Justin Arrington was 2-for-5 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Andy Palme was 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Mike Koski was 1-for-3 with a walk and grand slam.

It wasn't really the move I wanted to do, but I DFA'd LF Keith Mundt and purchased the contract of SS Seth Bland.

Bland, 36, will now make a major league at bat for the 12th consecutive season. A longtime defense first shortstop, he's won 5 Gold Gloves and hit a below average .251/.346/.341 with 55 homers and 434 RBI's in 1,361 career games. In Grand Rapids this year, he's hit a little bit better, .266/.372/.365 with 2 homers and 24 RBI's, but he's getting the call for his still elite defense. He'll start at short, Mike Legg at second, and Andy Palme at third while Camargo is on the DL.

We'll return home for a four game series with the Rebels, who are tied with us for second place. We'd see Lorenzo Guzman (1-0, 0.98 ERA), Kevin Miller (8-5, 4.40 ERA), Chris Brown (6-4, 3.66 ERA), and Jimmy Headley (1-3, 3.30 ERA).

June 23rd, 1904: D.J. Ruhnke (10-5, 3.84 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) got the ball in the opener against Lorenzo Guzman (1-0, 0.98 ERA, 1.09 WHIP), who's making his first start of the season after 16 appearances out of the pen. Bland would make his season debut, hitting 8th and playing short. I think our new favorite thing is 8-2 wins, and I'm more then okay with it!

Ruhnke looked better, 7 innings with 8 hits, 2 runs, and 10 strikeouts. Pat Peters went 2 with a hit and walk.

Zack Lawrence was 3-for-5 with a run scored and two driven in. Omar Atillio was 2-for-5 with a homer and 6 RBI's. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a double. Seth Bland was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Mike Legg was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

June 24th, 1904: We looked to stretch our lead over the Rebels to two, with Nate McCue (3-3, 4.11 ERA, 1.04 WHIP) facing Chris Brown (6-4, 3.66 ERA, 1.47 WHIP). Selfishly, I wanted another 8-2 win, so it only makes sense that we'd drop this one 6-1.

Even better, Tobias Laranjeira decided to pitch in this game, and injured himself...

McCue went 7 with 8 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 4 strikeouts. Toshiya Hayashi went an inning with 2 hits, a run, walk, and 2 strikeouts. Matt Macias allowed 3 hits and a run with a strikeout in 0.2 innings.

Andy Palme was 3-for-4. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with a walk. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

June 25th, 1904: Mundt cleared waivers and was outrighted to Grand Rapids.

We looked to get back in the win column with Josh Fisher (1-5, 4.80 ERA, 1.41 WHIP) facing the southpaw Kevin Miller (8-5, 4.40 ERA, 1.10 WHIP). Juan Villanueva made his first big league start, hitting 8th and playing second. It was close all game, but we fell short in a 4-2 loss...

Fisher went 8.2 innings with 7 hits, 4 runs, a walk, and 5 strikeouts. Juan Londono finished the ninth with a hit and strikeout.

Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a triple and two run homer. Andy Palme was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4.

Fresh of the DL, Lightning SP Matt Nesgoda tossed a 3-hit shutout as St. Louis edged Washington 1-0.

June 26th, 1904: Fan Vote Update: Giobbe Capuana is 2nd for 1B. Damian Salcido is 3rd for SS. Justin Arrington is 3rd for LF. D.J. Ruhnke is 5th for SP. Tobias Laranjeira is 2nd and Juan Londono 5th for RP.

The Rebels locked up CL George Mars to a 3-year, $2,100 per year extension. The former 4th Overall pick out of Long Beach State has been one of the best closers in the UBL, with 289 career saves, a 2.97 ERA, 740 strikeouts, and a 1.06 WHIP in 614.2 career innings. He's having a down year, with a 4.50 ERA and 1.36 WHIP with 53 strikeouts in 36 innings, and I can't help but think he would've got more in Free Agency.

We'd look to beat his team and battle back for the split, with Cody Hall (6-4, 5.10 ERA, 1.39 WHIP) taking on Jimmy Headley (1-3, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP). The game was just pathetic on the pitching side, and we were humiliated 17-8...

Hall, who I think I'm just going to release, went 4 with 8 hits, 8 runs, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Pat Peters was pummeled, 1.2 innings with 7 hits and 5 runs. Matt Macias went 2.1 innings with 4 hits, a run, walk, and 2 strikeouts. Rhett Wigmore allowed 3 runs off a hit, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts in an inning.

Justin Arrington was 2-for-3 with a pair of homers, 2 walks, and 3 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-5 with a three run homer. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-5 with an RBI. Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with 2 runs and a walk. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a walk and 3 runs scored. Omar Atillio was 1-for-3 with a walk and sac-fly. Hall was 1-for-1 with a triple.

Philadelphia LF Jim Moran hit his 300th career homer. What looks like one of the best value picks, the former 16th Round selection of Milwaukee owns a career .273/.343/.539 line with 137 steals and 815 RBI's. He spent most of his career with Milwaukee before signing with Philadelphia before last season. This year, the 30-year-old is hitting .249/.317/.521 with 7 steals, 18 homers, and 49 RBI's.

I sent Peters down to Grand Rapids and recalled Jonathan Hyde. The 24-year-old has a 1.64 ERA and 0.82 WHIP with 21 strikeouts in 22 innings with the Bulls.

We're off tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #62
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

June 27th-July 3rd

June 27th, 1904: Tobias Laranjeira was diagnosed with elbow inflammation, and he'll head to the DL for 2 weeks. This coincides with Eric Thomas being eligible to return from the DL, so he was activated. Juan Londono, regardless, will fill in as closer for the time being and Cody Hall was moved to the pen.

Our LF Justin Arrington and Baltimore 2B Jordan Hendrick were named Players of the Week. Arrington went 8-for-24 with 5 homers and 9 RBI's in his first good week of the season.

Down a level in Grand Rapids, Alex Nagel was named American League Player of the Week. He hit .524 with 2 homers and 7 RBI's.

We dropped down to 8th in the Power Rankings. Now 42-36, we are 2 out of 2nd and 10 out of first.

We'd welcome the Red Hawks to town for a three game set tomorrow. Cincy is in 5th and is just half a game behind us. We'd see Humberto Gonzalez (8-3, 3.30 ERA), Mike Rivera (4-4, 4.00 ERA), and Mike Gardenhire (4-5, 4.37 ERA).

June 28th, 1904: We welcomed the Red Hawks to town with ace D.J. Ruhnke (11-5, 3.77 ERA, 1.13 WHIP) taking on 34-year-old Humberto Gonzalez (8-3, 3.30 ERA, 1.27 WHIP). They got to Ruhnke early, and he lost 5-3.

He allowed 5 runs off 7 hits and 4 walks with 8 strikeouts in 5 frames. Ben Follmar went 2.1 innings with a hit, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts.

Arrington stayed hot, 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-4 with a double.

June 29th, 1904: Looking to even the series back up, former Red Hawk Eric Thomas (7-5, 3.25 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) took on Mike Gardenhite (4-5, 4.37 ERA, 1.37 WHIP). In two starts against the Red Hawks, Thomas is 0-2 with a 6.19 ERA. Down 4-1 in the 8th, we rallied for 2 in the bottom half and one more in the 9th to tie the contest and force extras. In the 12th, Bill Goodwin drove in one on a single off Toshiya Hayashi, and we dropped the middle game 5-4.

Man we just can't win anymore...

Thomas went 8 with 5 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Hayashi allwoed a run with 3 hits and 2 strikeouts in the 12th.

Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a hit by pitch and another solo homer. Seth Bland was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored. Mike Legg was 1-for-5 with a solo homer.

June 29th, 1904: We looked to avoid the sweep with another former Red Hawk Matt Puckett (8-3, 4.23 ERA, 1.21 WHIP) taking on another 34-year-old Nam-shik Kim (7-4, 3.15 ERA, 1.16 WHIP). Tied at 7 in the 7th, we put up 6th runs and escaped with a 13-7 series ending win.

Puckett was roughed up, with all 7 runs charged to him. He went 5+ with 7 hits, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Ben Follmar "blew" the save, but also got the win, 2 innings with a hit, walk, and strikeout. It wasn't really his fault, as the 2nd run was on 2nd with none out when he entered the game.

Mike Koski was 2-for-3 with a double, sac-fly, 2 runs, a walk, and 2 RBI's. Seth Bland was 3-for-4 with a walk, three run homer, and three runs scored. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-3 with 2 runs, 2 walks, a double, and RBI. Andy Palme was 2-for-5 with a 2-run double. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a run scored, RBI, and 2 walks.

Mustangs righty Yeong-shin Kim allowed just 1 hit in an 11-0 domination of Washington.

Our home stand finishes with three against the Cardinals. Chicago is 26-50 and 25.5 games behind the Lightning. They'd send Bobby Golberg (5-10, 6.01 ERA), Manny Melgosa (2-7, 5.97 ERA), and Travis Edwards (4-7, 5.04 ERA) to the mound.

June was our worst month of the year, as we finished 13-14 and fell to fourth place. I'm hoping July will be much better!

July 1st, 1904: New York 1B Roy Luska and Brooklyn 3B Juan Ozuna were Batters of the Month. Milwaukee SP Yeong-shin Kim and Buffalo SP Mark Mitchell were Pitchers of the Month. Washington LF Justin Bigg and Philadelphia 1B Gabe Solis were Rookies of the Month.

In Grand Rapids our top prospect Jorge Montalvo was named Pitcher of the Month. Going 4-2 with a 1.54 ERA and striking out 65 in 41 innings, Montalvo may have pitched his way into the rotation if Josh Fisher has another bad outing. He pitched yesterday, so after Fisher's start tomorrow, he could be available for a callup.

We opened the Cardinals series with Nate McCue (3-4, 4.22 ERA, 1.08 WHIP) taking on the declining veteran righty Bobby Goldberg (5-10, 6.01 ERA, 1.38 WHIP). He looked like his vintage self today, and a pair of RBI singles off Juan Londono in the 9th gave the Cardinals a 2-1 victory.

McCue was good enough, 8 innings with 6 hits, 4 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Londono, however, wasn't, allowing 3 hits and 2 runs with a single strikeout in the 9th. It was his first save opportunity since the Laranjeira injury, and he didn't look up to the task.

Jesse Chesley was 2-for-4 with a pair of steals. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Seth Bland was 1-for-3 with a walk.

Brooklyn's Nick Jones tossed a 5-hit shutout in a 1-0 win over Boston.

July 2nd, 1904: Today the International Amateur Free Agent Pool was released. There are a few impact level talents that I'd try to throw all my money at.

We desperately needed to win this one, with Josh Fisher (1-6, 4.73 ERA, 1.36 WHIP) taking on the southpaw Manny Melgosa (2-7, 5.97 ERA, 1.41 WHIP). Instead, the score was the same as yesterday, and we were edged 2-1...

*Deep Sigh*

Well, Fisher didn't lose his spot, allowing just 5 hits and 2 runs with a walk and 8 strikeouts in 8 innings.

Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Jorge Rancier was 1-for-3 with a double.

July 2nd, 1904: Damain Salcido is healthy again, and will head to Class D Little Rock for a rehab assignment. He'll likely be back on the 8th for our series in Washington.

I also extended all my personnel, both majors and minors, that would've had their contract expired. Manager Brett Hunter's contract expires next year, but I'm not afraid to let him go if this skid continues much longer...

Update on the All-Star voting: Giobbe Capuana is 2nd for 1B. Damian Salcido is 3rd for SS. Justin Arrington is 3rd for LF. D.J. Ruhnke is 5th for SP. Tobias Laranjeira is 3rd and Juan Londono 4th for releif pitchers.

I can't belive I'm writing this, but we looked to avoid the home sweep, again, with D.J. Ruhnke (11-6, 3.96 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) facing fellow southpaw Travis Edwards (4-7, 5.04 ERA, 1.40 WHIP). It was even worse then anyone could've expected, and we were crushed 9-2...

We went 2-8 on our homestand...

Ruhnke went 7 innings with 6 hits, 6 runs, a walk, and 9 strikeouts. Cody Hall allowed 3 runs in 2 innings with 2 hits, a walk, and 2 strikeouts.

Seth Bland was 1-for-2 with 2 walks and a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a walk. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a double.

St. Louis lefty Jim McNiff allowed just 4 hits in a 6-0 shutout over New Orleans.

Maybe the road will treat us better, as we headed to Milwaukee for a three game set with the 41-42 Mustangs. We'd face Mike Rivers (3-2, 5.03 ERA), Yeong-shin Kim (11-3, 2.59 ERA), and Derrick Fullerton (5-6, 4.09 ERA).

If we fall below .500, Hunter is gone...
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 04-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #63
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

July 4th-July 10th

July 4th, 1905: Jesus Camargo was ready to begin a rehab assignment at Class C Bay City. He'll likely rejoin the roster with Damian Salcido at the start of our next series.

I also DFA'd Dave Pater, who should easily clear waivers.

New York LF Adam Markley and Cleveland RF Javier Acevedo were named Players of the Week.

Boston will be without young lefty Steve Fessenden for the rest of the season with a torn flexor tendon. The 23-year-old was having an excellent season, working to a 2.00 ERA and 1.19 WHIP with 28 strikeouts in 27 innings out of the pen. He's got closer potential, but this major injury could cause problems.

We're now all the way down to 10th in the Power Rankings. At just 43-41, we're 14 out of first and 6 out of second.

On the road in Milwaukee, Eric Thomas (7-5, 3.34 ERA, 1.26 WHIP) took on Mike Rivers (3-2, 5.03 ERA, 1.40 WHIP). It's nearing panic time, as the Mustangs topped us 4-3 and with one more loss we'd fall behind them to 5th...

Thomas went all 8, allowing 8 hits, 4 runs, and a walk with 7 strikeouts.

Jesse Chesley was 2-for-5 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI's. Seth Bland was 2-for-4 with 2 runs scored. Mike Legg was 1-for-3 with a walk.

Washington's Marcos Hernandez tossed a 1-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts in a 5-0 win over the Cardinals.

I was actually able to dump Pater on the Cyclones for RF Jason Vanover.

Vanover isn't really anything special, but the 23-year-old has a little bit of promise. He's a great defender in center and right, and I'm going to give him some experience in left with Bay City. He's got plus power and won't strike out too much with blinding speed on the basepaths. An 8th Round Pick in 1899, he's definitely worth the lottery ticket.

July 5th, 1904: The Mustangs acquired 3B Juan del Valle from the Cajuns for LF Aaron Lowrance.

del Valle, 29, was once a top prospect with both Chicago and St. Louis before being the odd man out in the Lightning corner infield of stars Chris Boyd and Jordan Carillo. He thrived his first 4+ years with the Cajuns, but the switch hitter as seen his production drop off in the past two years. In just under 1,000 career games he has a .282/.332/.541 line with 237 homers and 681 RBI's.

Lowrance, 23, for lack of better words, is completely garbage. A former 4th Round selection of Milwaukee's out of Miami last year, the lefty doesn't really hit much. He's got great speed and is a decent left fielder, but he's no where near as good as even a declining del Valle. I guess the Cajuns wanted something out of their upcoming FA, but I feel like they could've got more.

To be fair, OSA likes Lowrance, but I have to go off my scout and the fact that he hasn't hit at all in Class D ball the past two seasons.

We looked to stay above .500, but had to face the Mustangs ace Yeong-shin Kim (11-3, 2.59 ERA, 1.01 WHIP). Matt Puckett (8-3, 4.63 ERA, 1.26 WHIP) got the start for us. 5 runs in the 7th and 8th helped us get back in the win column with a 6-3 victory.

Puckett didn't look too good, 7 innings with 10 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and just 3 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson struck out 2 in the 8th for his 2nd hold. Juan Londono allowed a hit and walk, but got his 2nd save in the 9th.

Andy Palme was 3-for-6 with a RBI, steal, and 2 runs scored. Jorge Rancier was 3-for-4 with a walk and 2 RBI's. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a double, steal, sac-fly, and 2 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a two run homer and 2 walks. Mike Legg was 2-for-5 with a double. Seth Bland was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored.

July 6th, 1904: We had a chance to do something we haven't done in what seems like years, win a series, with Nate McCue (3-4, 3.75 ERA, 1.10 WHIP) facing Derrick Fullerton (5-6, 4.09 ERA, 1.38 WHIP). McCue left after just 3.1 innings, but the pen held up and we shut out the Mustangs 4-0!

Jonathan Hyde got the win, 2.2 innings with 2 hits and 3 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson struck out 3 in 2 innings.

Mike Koski was 3-for-4 with a triple and 2 runs scored. Pete McCoy was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and 2 RBI's. McCue was 1-for-2 with an RBI double. Andy Palme was 1-for-4 with a steal, walk, and double. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and hit by pitch.

We're off tomorrow!

July 7th, 1904: Luckily, McCue just has a little hamstring soreness, and he'll be good to go for his next start.

I signed a pair of IFA's, C Ulisse Leonetti and SS Gabe Torres.

Leonetti, 16, is from Venezuela and is also part Italian, and rates as a 2.5* prospect. He agreed to a $410 signing bonus, which is about half of the $980 cap. He doesn't have the best arm, but he's good behind the plate, and has an elite eye. He's got a little gap power and even though he doesn't make the best contact, he won't really strike out.

Torres, also 16, is a switch hitter from the Dominican Republic who inked a $110 signing bonus. Also a 2.5*, He's a really weird rated hitter. He's a 73-23-64-1-56, so he's really all over the place. He's a solid infielder, with experience at second, third, and short as well as right field, although he reall shouldn't be used out there. In the infield, he's got a great arm and plus range. He's got great speed and will steal a bunch of bases.

Although of course, there's always a huge risk with IFA's because usually they never reach near their potential.

Cardinals' SP Manny Melgosa tossed a 6-hit shutout as Chicago beat Milwaukee 6-0.

We finish the first half in Washington for a three game set with the Wildcats. At 37-47, they are 20.5 out of first and 10.5 out of second. They'd send Tim Allday (6-3, 4.64 ERA), former Charger Juan Barajas (2-5, 3.84 ERA), and Marcos Hernandez (8-7, 4.79 ERA) to the mound.

July 8th, 1904: D.J. Ruhnke (11-7, 4.14 ERA, 1.16 WHIP) took the mound in the opener against the former two-way player Tim Allday (6-3, 4.64 ERA, 1.37 WHIP). We couldn't really get going on offense, and fell 3-2 in the opener.

Ruhnke went 6 with 7 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Ben Follmar walked 3 and allowed a hit with a strikeout in 1.1 innings.

Seth Bland was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Andy Palme was 1-for-4 with a double. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk.

Damian Salcido and Jesus Camargo will be back tomorrow, with Juan Villanueva and Mike Legg heading down to Grand Rapids.

Boston SS Drew Wertz launched 3 homers in a 7-5 win over the Pilots. The 25-year-old only had three homers all this year before today's game.

July 9th, 1904: We looked to even the series back up with Eric Thomas (7-6, 3.41 ERA, 1.25 WHIP) taking on southpaw Marcos Hernadnez (8-7, 4.79 ERA, 1.40 WHIP) who jumped ahead of Barajas. The bats rose to the occasion, and we managed 9 runs in a 9-4 win.

Thomas went 7 with 9 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson earned his 3rd hold, allowing a hit and got a strikeout in an inning of work.

Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a double, hit by pitch, run scored, and RBI in his return to the lineup. Salcido was 2-for-4 with a homer, 3 runs, a walk, and 2 RBI's in his return. Justin Arrington was 2-for-6 with a pair of steals. Mike Koski was 2-for-4 with a walk and run scored. Pete McCoy had a pinch hit three run homer in the 9th. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run homer. Andy Palme was 1-for-4 with 2 walks and a run scored.

July 19th, 1904: I added one more IFA, SS Caisto Talone, a 16-year-old (almost 17) out of Venezuela. He inked a $410 signing bonus. Another 2.5*, he's got great speed on the base paths, a plus-plue eye, and is a very gifted defender. He's got a plus arm, plus-plus range, and an elite error and DP tool.

The All-Star rosters were announced as well, with Eric Thomas and Tobias Laranjeira being named to their first All-Star games.

Somehow, former Charger Kab-shik Min was an All-Star over Giobbe Capuana. He hit .264/.318/.567 with 21 homers and 56 RBI's while Capuana hit .260/.359/.576 with 30 homers and 79 RBI's. Min also wasn't even top 3 in voting, where Capuana was second...

The Cyclones will be without 40-year-old Travis Adams for the rest of the year with a torn rotator cuff. He was going strong, 6-2 with a 3.73 ERA and 1.38 WHIP in 12 starts, but this may be the end of the line for him.

Our last game of the first half took place between Matt Puckett (9-3, 4.58 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) and former Charger Juan Barajas (2-5, 3.84 ERA, 1.20 WHIP). We tried a late rally off former Charger Justin Pezzetti, but we fell short in a 3-2 loss.

What a way to end...

Puck went 6 with 7 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and 4 strikeouts. Cody Hall struck out 3 in 2 perfect innings.

Mike Koski was 2-for-4 with a double and walk. Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with a double, 2 walks, run scored, and RBI. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

Brooklyn's Jerry Smith tossed a 5-hut shutout with 11 strikeouts in a 2-0 win over Newark. St. Louis' Matt Nesgoda tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 3-0 win over the Rebels.

At least we have the All-Star break to bail us out...
Old 04-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #64
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

July 11th-July 17th

July 11th, 1904: Tobias Laranjeira and Jonathan Simmons will both start rehab assignments in Grand Raipds. Simmons will be back when the break ends, but not sure on Tobias yet.

New York 1B Roy Luska and Baltimore CF Jonathan Nagy were named Players of the Week.

The Power Rankings moved us up to 8th. At 46-44, we are in 4th and 15 games out of first, but just 5 out of second.

The Bearcats and Freedom made a trade, with RF Jesus Hernandez and LHP Tom Stone going to Brooklyn and RHP Billy Hawkins going to Philly.

Hernandez, 25, is a lefty from Costa Rica who's one of the best defenders and baserunners in the game. He's got blinding speed and nearly never strikes out, but he isn't the greatest hitter. In 180 career games, he's a .281/.339/.384 hitter (88 OPS+) with 9 homers, 27 steals, and 40 RBI's.

Stone, 24, is a former 19th Round Pick by us in 1898 who was traded to Philly in 1900. He's yet to make his debut, but he was having a great season in Class B Wilmington, going 12-1 in 18 starts iwth a 1.62 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, and 181 strikeous in 111 innings. He's a really weird rated pitcher, a 1.5* extreme flyballer with poor stamina (30), elite stuff (92), pitiful movement (12), and poor control (32).

Hawkins, 27, is the best player in the deal, but he's having an awful start to the season. Last year, he was 13-10 with a 3.83 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 209 strikeouts in 34 starts. This year in 18 starts, a 5.20 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and 100 strikeouts. He's in his fourth big league season, and in 131 games (96 starts) he's 38-36 with a 4.47 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, and 588 strikeouts. The former 19th Overall Pick, by St. Louis, in 1895, he's got a ton of talent, but just hasn't quite put it together yet.

The All-Star game is tomorrow!

July 12th, 1904: A little trade action before the festivities today as the Red Hawks acquired RHP Joe Miller and RHP Tim Edwards from the Calvary for LHP Jose Suchil and RF Mosies Plascencia.

Miller, 30, has now been traded twice in two years, but hasn't had the best success with Buffalo. In 19 starts this year, he's 4-10 with a 4.94 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 90 strikeouts in 120.1 innings. He was selected by the Chargers in the 16th Round out of high school, but decided to honor his commitment to Stanford instead. The Rebels then made him a 2nd Round selection in 1896, ande debuted with them for just a third of an inning in 1901. Since then, he's made 53 starts in 68 games, going 18-23 with a 4.08 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 293 strikeouts.

Edwards, 19, was Buffalo's 3rd Round Pick last year. The righty doesn't really have starter stamina, but he still profiles as a back-of-the-rotation/swingman starter. He's got plus stuff with average movement and control, but he does do a good job keeping the ball on the ground.

Suchil, 21, made his debut with the Red Hawks this year, allowing 4 runs (2 homers) in 3.1 innings with 4 walks and 4 strikeouts. The lefty from Puerto Rico has more upside then Miller, but if you want to win now, Miller is the better choice. He's got starter potential, but it looks like Buffalo wants him as a reliever in the big leagues right now. A 6th Round pick in 1901, he's a durable innings eater that should eventually find himself at the back of a rotation.

Plascencia, 19, is a Venezuelan native who's extremely far from the big leagues. He's a corner outfielder who is likely just system depth, but he's got a nice eye and decent speed. He also has a cannon in right, but isn't much of a fielder.

On to the All Star Game! Representing the American League is St. Louis' Bobby Brosius (9-5, 2.37 ERA, 0.93 WHIP) and representing the National League is the tired Josh Foster (12-1, 2.76 ERA, 1.04 WHIP) who probably shouldn't be pitching. The NL reigned supreme, and shut out the AL 2-0. Eric Thomas was charged with the loss, allowing 2 hits and 2 runs with a walk in just 0.1 innings...

Well, good thing it doesn't count...

Philadelphia 3B Jesus Ortega was Named All-Star MVP, going 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

July 13th, 1904: Every day of the break had a trade, and shockingly, none of them involved the Chargers. New York sent LF Colt Rice to the Patriots for RHP Jalen Ramsey and RHP Josh Loreman.

Rice, 27, was a former 5th Round Pick by Washington back in 1895 and he's played in the majors with Washington and New York. He's a career .259/.318/.552 hitter with 57 homers and 149 RBI's. He hasn't played all too much this year, gong 7-for-34 with 3 homers and 7 RBI's. He's a fringe starting left fielder, but he's not terrible.

Ramsey, 34, is a well traveled relief pitcher who's in the midst of the worst two seasons of his career since a dreadful 1897-1898 stretch with New Orleans. The 19th Overall Pick out of Long Beach State in 1891, Ramsey has tallied 364 big league innings with 6 different teams, including the Rebels, who he pitched just 22.1 innings in half a season with them in 1902. He owns a 4.80 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, and has struck out 351 batters. This year has been one to forget, as he owns a 6.99 ERA and 1.38 WHIP in 28.1 innings.

Loreman, 24, may be the most valuable player in the deal, as he has middle of the rotation potential. A 6th Round Pick in 1901 out of Cal by the Patriots, Loreman is big league ready, but yet to debut. This year in Class A Worcester, he's 8-3 with a 3.88 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 20 starts. He tosses 4 plus pitches, keeps the ball on the ground, and boasts plus control as well.

We'll start the second half at home, hosting the Cajuns in a four game series. They're projected to use Jaime Bottorff (4-10, 4.11 ERA), Bill Rivera (4-8, 4.98 ERA), Jesse Salvetti (3-4, 5.08 ERA), and Ignacio Mosqueda (4-6, 5.26 ERA). A lot of contenders may send scouts to Detroit, as the 36-52 Cajuns are bound to unload some talent, even though there really isn't much.

July 14th, 1904: 41-year-old CF Matthew Viano will miss the rest of the season with a fractured fibula. Now with the Cardinals, Viano has always been a talented player who could never stay healthy. The former 12th Overall Pick won Rookie of the Year in 1886, and probably should've won MVP in 1890 when he hit .350/.416/.675 with a 8.3 WAR (all league leaders). Instead it went to Jake Edwards, who got it because of his 52 homers and 134 RBI's.

More trade action as Buffalo acquired CF Alex Castillo and LHP Keith Wigton from the Rebels for RHP's Dan Haire and Rob Patterson.

Castillo, 23, is a speedy lefty from Panama who's spent the season in Class B Hartford, batting .307/.360/.420 wtih 4 homres, 6 steals, and 47 RBI's. He won't strike out too much, but he looks like system depth at best.

Wigton, 24, was a 10th Round Pick out of Missouri State by Baltimore in 1900. He's "a pleasure to coach" but really doesn't have too much talent. He's got a ton of stamina, but isn't really good enough to pitch in the rotatin. He's likely just a depth option as well.

Haire, 29, is the only big leaguer in the swap. An iron man reliever, he's got elite stuff and control, but poor movement which leads to a ton of homers. After 7 seasons in Cincy, this was his first with Buffalo, and he didn't do too well. He had a 6.26 ERA and 1.34 WHIP with 35 strikeouts in 41.2 innings. A former 2nd Round Pick by the Red Hawks, Haire signed a 1-year, $2,180 contract in the off-season. For his career, he has a 4.70 ERA and 1.29 WHIP with 340 strikeouts in 388.2 innings.

I wanted to bring Simmons back up, but he only got one game in before the Class A All-Star Break. He's probably going to be back on the 16th.

Back to baseball, and hopefully winning, as we welcomed the Cajuns to town. The struggling and shattered D.J. Ruhnke (11-8, 4.15 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) took on fellow southpaw Jaime Bottorff (4-10, 4.11 ERA, 1.37 WHIP). Ruhnke looked like he did in April, and we came back with a 5-0 shutout!

Ruhke went the distance, tossing a 3-hit shutout with 2 walks and 10 strikeouts.

Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with a double and 2 RBI's. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a triple, walk, run scored, and RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and run scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a 2-run double. Ruhnke was 1-for-3 with a run scored.

We didn't have the only shutout, as Philly's Noel Kessler tossed a 2-hit shutout with 13 strikeouts and just 1 walk, in a 3-0 win over the Patriots.

I just want to touch on how well the AI has done with Philly, as the 66-24 Freedom are just oozing with talent. Even with injuries, their rotation is insane and they have a really solid bullpen. The offense is great and they have studs at every position with dependable depth pieces at most positions as well. They have 6 3.5* or better infielders as well! After winning their first title in 10 attempts last year, they looked poised to repeat.

July 15th, 1904: Speaking of the Freedmo, they just made their bullpen even better, acquiring RHP Francisco Garcia from Newark for RHP Matt Gagnon, 2B Justin Gaddis, and CF John Yates.

Garcia, 28, was Newark's closer, saving 21 games with a 4.34 ERA and 1.23 WHIP and 62 strikeouts in 45.2 innings of work. In his career with St. Louis and Newark, he has 119 career saves, a 4.46 ERA, and 1.40 WHIP. He won't displace star closer Tristen Wood, but he's probably set for a 7th or 8th inning role.

As a rental, he didn't get the biggest package, so there's a reason why they didn't give up too much:

Gagnon, 19, doesn't look good at all, but OSA is a bigger fan of Philly's 9th round selection last year. My scout has him as just a 0.5* with nothing really special, so I won't waste too much time on him.

Gaddis, 23, looks like the best piece. Philly took him in the 3rd Round last year out of Oregon State, and he's already in Class C Ball. A solid and durable defender at second, he has fringe starter potential, but his floor is a 5th infielder. He's got average contact and not too much pop, but he shoots line drives in the gaps. He gets his share of steals as well, and is a smart base runner.

Yates, 22, is a speedy glove first centerfielder with an absolute cannon of an arm to go with elite range. Philly's 4th Round pick out of Arizona last year, his peak is probably as a 4th outfielder, but he does have a ton of athletic ability. He's got a decent eye as well.

Nate McCue (3-4, 3.58 ERA, 1.09 WHIP) looked to stay hot against Bill Rivera (4-8, 4.98 ERA, 1.57 WHIP). He was far from perfect, but we did good enough to win 5-3.

McCue went 6 with 5 hits, 2 runs, 6 walks, and 6 strikeouts. He also hit three batters... This is a guy with 81 control... Toshiya Hayashi got a hold, 2 innings with a hit, run, and 2 strikeouts. Jaun Londono picked up the save, allowing a hit before striking out the side in the 9th.

July 16th, 1904: Jonathan Simmons returned to the big league club. To make room, I actually looked to move Mike Koski, and found a trade partner with the Lightning in Yu-wei Li.

A 28-year-old from Taiwan, he's fragile, but an effective big league reliever. He's under contract until 1906, and the Lightning are keeping a small portion of the deal. He has a 2.63 ERA and 1.10 WHIP with 18 strikeouts in 13.2 innings, and a career 2.36 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, and 58 strikeouts in 45.2 innings.

Jonathan Hyde was optioned to Grand Rapids.

Simmons hit 7th against the lefty Steve Hudson (9-8, 4.94 ERA, 1.36 WHIP) as we looked to keep our little win streak going. Matt Puckett (9-4, 4.58 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) got the start for us. He got hit hard again, and we were topped 6-2.

Puck allowed 11 hits and 6 runs with 7 strikeouts in 5 innings. Rhett Wigmore and Matt Macias combined for 4 innings with 2 hits, a walk, and 3 strikeouts.

Zack Lawrence was 2-for-4 with a triple and run scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Andy Palme was 1-for-2 with a double and 2 walks. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

July 17th, 1904: The trading continues, with the Wildcats sending RHP Hector Peralez and 2B David Bowen to the Mustangs for SS Brian Robinson and SS Adam William.

Peralez, 31, has made a start in each of the last five six seasons, but has been exclusively a reliever this year. In 24 appearances, he has a 3.62 ERA and 1.18 WHIP with 41 strikeouts. A Wildcat his whole big league career, Peralez is a dependable middle inning guy who can give you multiple innings if needed.

Bowen, 21, was a 6th Round Pick by New Orleans out of Trinity High School in the 1900 draft. He's got second division starter potential with a well-rounded bat and well-rounded glove. He's got a plus eye and gap power with plus-plus range at second. He's played in Class B for the first time this year, hitting .235/.327/.404 (117 OPS+) in 38 games after 59 games in Class B Arlington.

Robinson, 24, is an elite defender at second, third, and short. A 2nd Round Pick out of LSU in the 1901 draft, Robinson also reached class B for the first time, but has struggled to a .190/.313/.278 line in 36 games with Class B New Bedford. He was better in Class C Binghamton, hitting .268/.420/.384 in 42 games. He's a light hitter, just 4 homers in 4 career minor league seasons. He's got an okay eye and plus gap power, but he doesn't make too much contact.

William, also 24, is a great defensive shortstop with solid speed and elite base running skills. He's made a few appearances at first, second, left, center, and right, and could easily fill in at third with his plus-plus arm. He's got elite range in both the infield and the outfield, and actually a better arm in the outfield. Another light hitter, the 6th Round Selection out of Virginia hasn't hit too well in Class C this year, but he's there for his glove, not bat.

We looked to finish the series strong with All-Star Eric Thomas (8-6, 3.50 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) facing Ignacio Mosqueda (4-6, 5.26 ERA, 1.51 WHIP). Up 7-6 in the 9th, Steve Stone hit a pinch-hit RBI single off Juan Londono to force extras. In the 10th, Jonathan Simmons decided it was time to end, and launched his first career walk-off homer, a solo shot to finish the series with a 8-7 win.

Thomas pitched wayyyyyyyyy too long, 8+ innings with 11 hits, 7 runs, 2 walks, and 9 strikeouts. Londono got the win, 2 innings with a hit and a strikeout.

Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a double and three run homer. Omar Atillio was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI's. Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Simmons was 1-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs scored, and the game winning homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a walk, 2 runs, and a solo homer.

Down in St. Joseph, CF James Rose was 5-for-5 in a 10-1 win over the Lincoln Lions.

Before heading to Cincinnati, I optioned Toshiya Hayashi to Grand Rapids, recalling Tobias Laranjeira from his rehab assignment. We'd spend three in Ohio against the third place Red Hawks, who are 49-44 and half a game ahead of us. Their projected starters were Carlos Flores (1-2, 3.34 ERA), Humberto Gonzalez (11-4, 3.37 ERA), and Mike Gardenhire (7-5, 3.97 ERA).
Old 04-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #65
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

July 18th-July 24th

July 18th, 1904: Washington 1B Jeremy Stinson and Newark 3B Matt White were Players of the Week.

We moved up a spot to 6th in the Power Rankings. Sitting in 4th, we're 49-45 and 15 games out of first.

We started a three game series in Cincinnati against the Red Hawks with Josh Fisher (1-7, 4.50 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) taking on 34-year-old vet Carlos Flores (1-2, 3.34 ERA, 0.77 WHIP) who is bound for some regression. Tied at 2 in the 9th, we rallied for two off closer Paul Monroe and took the opener 4-2.

Fisher was sharp, 8 innings with 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira got the save, a hit and strikeout in his return to the big league club.

Damian Salcido was 2-for-3 with a solo homer, walk, and 2 runs scored. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a solo homer, hit by pitch, and stolen base. Giobbe Cpuana was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

July 19th, 1904: Game 2 saw D.J. Ruhnke (12-8, 3.92 ERA, 1.14 WHIP) take on Humberto Gonzaelz (11-4, 3.37 ERA, 1.21 WHIP). Ruhnke was shelled and the Red Hawks crushed us 8-2.

He allowed 9 hits and 8 runs in 6 innings with 2 walks and 4 strikeouts. Rhett Wigmore tossed 2 innings with a hit, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-3 with a walk and two run homer. Andy Palme was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk.

Wildcats ace Marcos Hernandez tossed a 3-hit shutout with 13 strikeouts in a 4-0 win over the Cajuns.

Cleveland 3B Angel Contreras hit his 300th career homer. Most of those 300 came in Detroit, where he spent 1895-1902 with the Chargers before I let him walk in Free Agency. In 5,093 career at bats, he owns a .300/.346/.540 triple slash with 918 RBI's. This year with the Cyclones, he's hitting .289/.339/.474 with 13 homers and 40 RBI's.

July 20th, 1904: The Cardinals took a big blow to their pitching depth, as 26-year-old lefty Travis Edwards tore his labrum, and it effectively ended his career. It's the 2nd time the former 2nd rounder had labrum surgery, and he determined it wasn't worth coming back. He'll finish a 72 start career 17-28 with a 4.77 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. He walked 118 and struck out 346 in 402 career innings.

We looked to take the rubber match with a battle of red-hot righties, Nate McCue (4-4, 3.54 ERA, 1.14 WHIP) and Mike Gardenhire (7-5, 3.97 ERA, 1.22 WHIP) facing off. Neither looked hot today, although we managed to finish on top in a 9-7 win.

McCue went 7 with 5 hits, 7 runs, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Juan Londono picked up his 6th hold and Tobias Laranjeira earned his 24th save.

Giobbe Capuana was 3-for-4 with a double, homer, hit by pitch, and 4 RBI's. Justin Arrington was 3-for-4 with 2 walks and a run scored. Jesus Camargo was 3-for-5. Damian Salcido was 2-for-6 with a double, homer, 3 runs, and 3 RBI's. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-5 with a solo homer, walk, and 2 runs scored. Andy Palme was 2-for-6 with a pair of runs scored. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a hit by pitch and RBI.

Baltimore's Dan Bishop tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 10-0 win over the Patriots.

We're off tomorrow, but we'd get a head start and travel to Milwaukee.

July 21st, 1904: We used our off day to travel to Milwaukee for a three game set with the Mustangs. At 48-48, they sat in 5th place and 6 games out of a playoff spot. The projected three were lefty Derrick Fullerton (5-7, 3.98 ERA) and righties Hector Peralez (3-0, 3.62 ERA) and Alberto Lucero (7-8, 5.09 ERA).

July 22nd, 1904: The three game set with Milwaukee started with Eric Thomas (8-6, 3.76 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) taking on Derrick Fullerton (5-7, 3.98 ERA, 1.34 WHIP). The bats lost no charge from the finale, and we pounded the Mustangs 13-4.

We were aided by Fullerton leaving the game in the 2nd with an injury, followed by Bang-zao Xu getting ejected just 20 pitches in after beaming Andy Palme and starting a brawl. Palme was ejected as well, and received a 4 game suspension.

Thomas went the distance, 9 innings with 6 hits, 4 runs, 5 walks, and 10 strikeouts.

Jesus Camargo went 4-for-6 with a homer, 3 runs, and 5 RBI's. Jeremy Bell was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, a run scored, RBI, and walk. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a homer, double, 2 runs, 3 RBI's, and a walk. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a two run homer and two walks. Pete McCoy, who replaced Palme, was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. Damian Salcido was 1-for-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Thomas was 1-for-4 with a sac-bunt and run scored.

Pittsburgh's Richard Aguilar tossed a 2-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over the Bearcats. Lightning rising star Bobby Brosius struck out 15 in a 3-2 win over the Red Hawks. He's already struck out 194 batters this year, while walking just 28. He's on pace for 327, which would break Jim McNiff's team record of 318 which he set in 1900. The Lightning didn't have the best history, and their top 10 strikeout leaders have all been in the last 10 seasons.

July 23rd, 1904: The middle match saw Matt Puckett (9-5, 4.88 ERA, 1.32 WHIP) face Hector Peralez (3-0, 3.62 ERA, 1.18 WHIP), who's making his first start of the season after 24 relief appearances. Puckett has done well against the Mustangs, 3-0 with a 1.96 ERA this season. Despite his best efforts, he couldn't improve to 4-0, as we were edged 2-1.

Puck went 8 with just 3 hits, 2 runs (1 earned...), 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts.

Jesus Camargo was 3-for-4 with an RBI double. Omar Atillio was 1-for-2 with 2 walks. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a run scored. We had only 5 hits, while Milwaukee managed 3 and somehow still won...

Even better, three hitters had 5 hit games today! Buffalo 2B John McKenzie was 5-for-6 in an 8-5 win over the Boston. Brooklyn SS Matt Strong was 5-for-6 in a loss to the Pilots. And down in Class C Grand Rapids, 2B Carlos Martinez was 5-for-6 in an 18-2 domination of the Louisville Condors.

July 24th, 1904: The Calvary and Red Hawks linked up for a trade, with 3B Phil Davis going to Buffalo and LHP Jonathan Vogl and LF Esteban Ramirez going to the Cincinnati.

Davis, 31, isn't really that good, and actually more of a shortstop, which is probably why his rating is low. He is, however, on the decline, but owns a really solid .301/.367/.472 career line with 114 homers and 416 RBI's in 910 career games with the Cyclones and Red Hawks. A former 2nd Round selection by the Cyclones out of Arizona, the switch hitter has lead the league in runs three times (1899-1901) and hits once (1901).

Vogl, 29, spent 1899-1903 with Milwaukee before signing with Buffalo as a minor league free agent. He didn't pitch much in the majors till 1902 where he tallied 151.1 innings in 21 starts, but he hasn't topped 80 in another season, with a pair of seasons with less then 10. He's a durable innings eater, but isn't much more then a fill in. In 39 career starts and 10 relief appearances, he's 17-14 with a 4.23 ERA and 1.37 WHIP.

Ramirez, 24, is a fragile left fielder who doesn't offer much on defense. He's slow, but an elite base stealer and runner. He's got plus-plus gap power and a plus eye and is easily a bat first guy. The Venezuelan had a quick 2 game cameo with the Calvary last year, where he was 2-for-7 with a double, homer, 3 RBI's, and a walk, but has yet to play in the majors this season.

We looked to take the series and the finale with D.J. Ruhnke (12-9, 4.21 ERA, 1.16 WHIP) taking on the struggling Alberto Lucero (7-8, 5.09 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). The bats were back today, and we won the finale 7-3.

Ruhnke went 7.1 innings with 9 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and 7 strikeouts. Juan Londono walked 2 in the 8th, but manage to record the final 2 outs. Laranjeira struck out 1 in a perfect 9th.

Jesus Camargo was 2-for-3 with 2 runs, a solo homer, and a hit by pitch. Damian Salcido was 2-for-5 with a two run homer. Justin Arrington was 2-for-5 with a run scored and 2 RBI's. Pete McCoy was 2-for-5 with two doubles and an RBI. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-5 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a run scored.

Our road trip continues with three in St. Louis to face the 67-31 Lightning. They are 15 games ahead of us and 10.5 ahead of the Rebels. We'd see Eddie Long (11-6, 3.71 ERA), Matt Nesgoda (10-2, 2.60 ERA), and Bobby Borsisus (11-5, 2.31 ERA).
Old 04-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #66
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

July 25th-July 31st

July 25th, 1904: Cincinnati 2B Carlos Ruiz and Brooklyn SS Matt Strong were Players of the Week.

Down in St. Joseph, 2B Mike Shaddox, who played in Detroit last year, was Player of the Week. The 36-year-old hit .481 with 2 homers, 7 RBI's, and 10 runs scored.

We remained 6th in the Power Rankings. At 53-47, we are 15 out of first and 4.5 out of second.

We're about to have the toughest stretch of the season, and what likely determines the fate of the season, with three road games in St. Louis, a day off, and then three road games in New York.

Nate McCue (5-4, 3.97 ERA, 1.15 WHIP) looked to stay hot in the opener against the struggling Eddie Long (11-6, 3.71 ERA, 1.11 WHIP). We didn't get off on the right foot, and we dropped the opener 7-3.

McCue pitched longer then he should've, allowing 14 hits and 7 runs with 5 strikeouts in 7 innings.

Justin Arrington was 3-for-4 with a double. Pete McCoy was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Jeremy Bell was 1-for-4 with an RBI double. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-3 with a hit by pitch.

Baltimore SP Dan Bishop tossed a 4-hut shutout in a 4-0 win over Newark.

July 26th, 1904: Two bottom feeders in Chicago and Newark linked up for a minor deal. Chicago sent RHP Manny Melgosa and RHP Rual Ibarra to Newark for RHP Alfonso Cortez.

Melgosa, 27, is both the best player and only player with big league experience. The former 3rd Overall Pick out of Oregon State in 1899, Melgosa never really turned into what the Bearcats expected when they picked him. In 93 big league games (22 starts) he's 11-17 with a 6.25 ERA, 1.63 WHIP, and 220 strikeouts in 253.1 innings.

Ibarra, 21, isn't really any good, and recently tore his rotator cuff. He's got an elite change, plus fastball, and average slider, but he doesn't really have any control. And it's not the effectively wild either.

Cortez, 23, was Newark's 2nd Round selection out of UCF in last year's draft. He's pitched 8 really good starts in Class D Fairfield, going 5-1 with a 2.56 ERA and 1.03 WHIP with 48 strikeouts in 45.2 innings. He pitched a little in Class C last year, and has back-of-the rotation upside. He has a really good three pitch arsenal with a plus fastball and plus-plus change and knuckle curve. He doesn't throw to hard, but he's got average control and can pitch deep into games.

We looked to even the series back up with Josh Fisher (2-7, 4.21 ERA, 1.26 WHIP) taking on Matt Nesgoda (10-2, 2.60 ERA, 1.01 WHIP). Despite a late scare in the 9th, we held off our hosts to win 5-2.

Fisher looked really good, 8+ innings with 4 hits, a run, 4 walks, and 11 strikeouts. Rhett Wigmore allowed 2 hits and a run with a strikeout in 0.1 innings. Tobias Laranjeira got the save, walking one in 0.2 innings.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-3 with a homer, 2 runs, 2 walks, and 2 RBI's. Omar Atillio was 2-for-4 with a two run homer. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Pete McCoy was 2-for-5 with a double.

Buffalo's Jake Doherty tossed a 4-hit shutout with 9 strikeouts in a 5-0 win over the Patriots.

July 27th, 1904: Andy Palme was back from his suspension as Eric Thomas (9-6, 3.77 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) took on Bobby Brosius (11-5, 2.31 ERA, 0.93 WHIP) in the rubber match. Neither pitcher has won against the opponent, with Thomas 0-3 with a 4.50 ERA and Brosius 0-2 with a 3.13 ERA. Brosius was just too good tonight, and we dropped the finale 4-2.

Thomas went 8 with 9 hits, 4 runs (3 earned), and 7 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Seth Bland was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and 2 RBI's. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

We get tomorrow off, and I may try to swing a trade or two.

July 28th, 1904: I decided to make a splash, acquiring the powerful 3B Ben Etienne from the Cardinals for SP Mark Gibson, SS Pete McCoy, and RP Rhett Wigmore.

Etienne, 31, is under contract till 1910, and has a monster deal making $3,400 this year, $3,920 next year, and then $4,400 every year until 1910. Half of it is being picked up by the Cardinals, which will lessen the blow to my financials. Originally the 1st Overall Pick by Detroit in 1893 out of Cerro Coso Community College, this is the third stint for Etienne with the Chargers. He's a career .282/.342/.574 hitter with 264 homers and 625 RBI's. One of the best power hitters in the league, he hit 50 or more from 1900-1902 and launched 47 last year. This season, he's hitting just .265/.336/.508 with 25 homers and 54 RBI's, but the Cardinals lineup had no other dangerous hitters.

Gibson, 20, was the 9th Overall Pick last year, but he's already dropped to a 2*. He's got elite stamina and plus-plus stuff with a solid three pitch arsenal. He has an elite fastball that sits in the 95-97 range with a plus-plus curve and change.

McCoy, 24, has been an absolute stud since being claimed off waivers from St. Louis. He's a great defender at short and he's got plus-plus contact and gap power. He has a crappy eye, but he nearly never strikes out. The lefty was hitting .343/.359/.495 with 2 homers and 17 RBI's in 99 at bats, with most coming off the bench.

Wigmore, 25, hasn't really panned out well for us this year, working to a 8.40 ERA and 2.00 WHIP with 12 walks and 12 strikeouts in 15 innings. He made 8 relief appearances and one spot start. He's still got middle-of-the-rotation potential, but it won't be with Detroit.

That wasn't the only acquisition I made, as I sent CF Chris Altman to the Patriots for former Charger Tyler Bienvenu. I also had Boston pick up half of his remaining deal, which ends at the end of this season.

Bienvenu, 32, is a durable lefty who's spent a little time closing with Boston, who he spent 1894-1902 with. A former 3rd Round Pick by Washington in 1890, Bienvenu has a 3.89 ERA and 1.32 WHIP with 575 strikeouts and 156 saves in 559.2 innings. This year, he has a 4.70 ERA, 1.79 WHIP, and 30 strikeouts with 6 saves in 30.2 innings. He's rated a 3.5*, and he costed me basically nothing.

Altman, 25, was an undrafted free agent who signed a minor league deal with Detroit in 1902. He hasn't really done much of anything in the minors, but he's got a ton of speed.

Bienvenu would pitch as a lefty specialist and Etienne will play third, pushing Jesus Camargo to second and Andy Palme to a utility role.

Off to New York for three with the Rebels. At 58-44, they are 11.5 out of first and hold a 4.5 game lead over us. We'd see Antonio Gonzalez (4-0, 1.36 ERA), Erik Pike (11-4, 4.22 ERA), and Kevin Miller (11-8, 3.93 ERA) to finish the month of July.

July 29th, 1904: Today was a busy day for trade, with a total of three transactions made:

Cleveland sent LF Jordan Mondragon and CF John Bello to Newark for RHP Chris Reynolds and CF John Yates.

Mondragon, 37, is a long time vet who's been playing since 1890 where he debuted with the Bearcats. A former 2nd Round selection in 1886, the lefty has slashed .299/.360/.538 with 330 homers and 1,011 RBI's. He's not fast anymore, but has 140 career steals after five consecutive seasons (1890-1894) in the double digits. He's been strictly a pinch hitter this year, hitting .229/.339/.354 with 2 homers and 4 RBI's in 57 games off the bench.

Bello, 22, was Cleveland's 6th Round pick out of Sacramento County Day High Schooli n 1899. He's got starter potential, and has elite range and an elite arm in the outfield. He's a plus defender in center and an elite defender in right. He's got elite speed and a well rounded bat. He reached Class B for the first time this year, hitting .304/.368/.463 with 8 homers, 11 steals, and 35 RBI's in 72 games.

Reynolds, 33, hasn't appeared in the majors since 1900, and has pitched in parts of 1895 and 1896 as well. He has managed only 27.1 innings with Chicago and Buffalo, working to a 5.93 ERA and 1.72 WHIP in 5 starts and 5 relief appearances. Pitching strictly as a reliever with Class A Jersey, he had a 1.65 ERA and 0.89 WHIP with 40 strikeouts and 12 walks in 32.2 innings. He's just a 1* as a reliever, but the former 23rd Overall Pick out of Florida Atlantic may earn himself another shot at the big leagues.

Yates, 22, was a 4th Round Pick by Philadelphia in the 1903 draft out of Arizona. He was just recently sent to Newark on the 15th in the Francisco Garcia trade. He's still basically the same player, super fast and super good at defense, but with not bat.

Next was Washington acquiring RHP Carl Firestone and RHP Jose Munoz, and RHP Jim Johnson for 2B Andy Boyko.

Firestone, 36, spent most of his career with the Red Hawks before signing a 1-year, $2,100 contract with Chicago in the offseason. It didn't go as planned, as he had a 5.80 ERA and 1.60 WHIP with 29 strikeouts in 35.2 innings. He did manage 21 saves, but the iron man was 0-5 as well. In his 12 year career, he has a 4.37 ERA and 1.35 WHIP with 679 strikeouts in 659 career innings. The 24th overall selection by Baltimore in 1891, a change of scenery should do well for him, as he's got talent.

Munoz, 19, is a native of the Dominican Republic who's got middle relief potential. He has plus-plus stuff with plus control and average movement. He's got an elite fastball and elite slider, but a poor change and low stamina prevents him from starting. He's a groundballer who sits in the 94-96 range, but age could increase his speed as well.

Johnson, 23, was Chicago's 5th Round Pick in 1899. An Illinois native, he's got swing man potential, but doesn't really have the stamina to start. He's got average control, stuff, and movement, and can graze triple digits with a plus-plus fastball. He's also got a plus-plus curve and plus change, making him an interesting starting pitching option. He's got a little experience at second, first, and short, and could possibly make it as a hitter, but it's unknown if Washington has plans to use him as a two-way guy.

Boyko, 26, is the only guy going to Chicago. He reminds me of Andy Palme, as they have near identical fielding and position ratings. He's got great speed, a plus eye, and slightly below average hitting ratings across the board. He's spent time with St. Louis and Washington, hitting just .198/.291/.298 with 3 homers, 6 steals, and 23 RBI's in 258 big league at bats. The former 2nd Round Pick was selected out of Richardson High School in 1896 by the Lightning, and he does have starter upside in what could be a decent middle infield of former Lightning draft picks with Pete McCoy.

The final trade of the day saw Newark send LHP Sean Till to Buffalo for RHP Marvin Portillo and C Alex Rod.

Till, 24, was a 13th Round Pick out of Texas A&M in 1902. I don't see much in him, but the lefty has an interesting four pitch arsenal with an average fastball, cutter, change, and forkball. He doesn't have much movement or control, and really just looks like minor league depth. He also hasn't pitched past Class C.

Portillo, 30, was a salary that Buffalo didn't really want to pay. A journeyman multiple inning guy with elite control and plus-plus stuff, but with just 18 movement. He's an extreme groundballer who doesn't throw too hard, but he does an excellent job placing his elite change. He's got a plus split and average fastball that sits in the 89-91 MPH range as well. The Iron Man from the D.R. has a 5.30 ERA and 1.36 WHIP with 521 strikeouts in 642.1 innings, split between New Orleans, Detroit, Cincy, and Buffalo. He has made 60 starts, but has spent most of his time in the pen. in 30 relief appearances and 1 start this year, he has a 3.97 ERA and 1.21 WHIP with 44 strikeouts in 45.1 innings.

Rod, 19, isn't the best catching prospect, but the youngster from the D.R. has done decent in Class C this year, hitting .250/.271/.368 with 9 RBI's in 68 at bats. He's not much of a hitter or defender, but catching prospects of any ability are valuable.

Back to baseball as D.J. Ruhnke (13-9, 4.19 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) took on youngster Antonio Gonzalez (4-0, 1.36 ERA, 0.85 WHIP) to open the final series of July. The pitching was poor on both sides, but a Matt Clawson walk-off two run homer gave the Rebels a 9-8 victory.

Ruhnke pitched too much, 8 innings with 10 hits, 7 runs (6 earned...), 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira blew the save, 3 hits with 2 runs, a walk, and 2 strikeouts in 0.2 innings.

Giobbe Capuana was 3-for-5 with a double homer, and 2 runs scored. Ben Etienne was 2-for-5 with a solo homer and two run homer in his first game back with us. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-5 with a solo homer.

I decided I had enough of Brett Hunter, and decided it was best to part ways. Replacing him would be Grand Rapids manager Willis Memmi, who was "Excellent" and better then the "Great" Hunter. Memmi has a "Slightly Quicker" hook of starters, so I'm hoping we get no more 7+ inning 7+ run games...

Memmi, 53, spent 1899-1904 as manager of the Grand Rapids Bulls, going 4603-344 with a Manager of the Year and title in 1900. He's never finished with less then 71 wins, and was 66-38 with the Bulls this year. He's excellent at developing pitchers as well.

July 30th, 1904: Memmi wouldn't be able to debut today, as out game was rained out, and a double header scheduled for tomorrow. Luckily, we have another off day on the 3rd, so I didn't need to find a spot starter.

July 31st, 1904: It was a quiet deadline, as no AI moves were made. If we get swept in this double header, expect big moves...

Or at least rentals being shopped out...

Willis Memmi made his UBL managing debut as Nate McCue (5-5, 4.34 ERA, 1.22 WHIP) took on the struggling Keivn Miller (11-8, 3.93 ERA, 1.07 WHIP) in game one of the double header. Tied at 1 after 9, Damian Salcido hit a solo homer in the 10th, and we held on to win 2-1.

McCue went 9 innings, allowing just 3 hits, a run, 3 walks, and 4 strikeouts. Tobias Laranheira struck out 2 in a perfect 9th for his 26th save.

Salcido was 1-for-4 with the go ahead solo homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-3.

The second game of the double header saw Matt Puckett (9-6, 4.60 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) take on Erik Pike (11-4, 4.22 ERA, 1.14 WHIP). We almost let this one get out of hand, allowing 4 in the 9th before finally getting the final out in a 5-4 win.

Nice start to the Willis Memmi regime!

Puckett went 8+ with 3 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Matt Macias allowed 2 hits and 2 runs on just 2 pitches. Tobias Laranjeira got the save, 2 hits and a run with a strikeout in the 9th.

Ben Etienne was, who already had 4 career homers off Pike, was 3-for-4 with 2 more homers and 4 RBI's. Jesse Cheseley was 2-for-4 with 2 doubles and 2 runs scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a solo homer.

Phildelphia SP Billy Hawkins tossed a 3-hit shutout in a 9-0 wino ver the Venom.

Washington 2B Pat Kesselman hit his 400th career homer. The 5th Overall Pick in 1886 by Brooklyn, the 36-year-old Kessleman has still found greatness with a myriad of injuries. In 1933 career games with Brooklyn, New Orleans, New York, and Washington, he's hit .264/.364/.502 with 187 steals and 1,074 RBI's. In 72 games this year, he's hitting just .226/.317/.448 with 12 homers and 25 RBI's in the 4th year of a 5 year deal.

It was a shaky July, but it's on to August, where last year, we got really hot. We'd start off with a three game set at home against the 37-66 Chicago Cardinals. They'd go with Bobby Goldberg (7-11, 5.34 ERA), Angel Garcia (3-7, 9.00 ERA), and Tony Downs (2-4, 3.91 ERA).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 04-27-2019 at 04:44 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #67
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

August 1st-August 7th

August 1st, 1904: Before the Player of the Month Awards, are the Players of the Week, New Orleans LF Angel Zuniga and Philadelphia 2B Jon Wickham.

In the Great Lakes League, our RF Mike Heinemann was named Player of the Week, hitting .458 with 2 homers and 8 RBI's.

New York 1B Roy Luska and Philadelphia CF Jon Alvarado were Batters of the Month. St. Louis SP Bobby Borisus and Brooklyn SP Jerry Smith were Pitchers of the Month. Former Charger and Current Cardinal SS Pete McCoy and Baltimore 3B Jung-sang Park were Rookies of the Month.

McCoy hit .392 with a homer and 10 RBI's, and was 7-for-11 since the trade.

We dropped to 7th in the Power Rankings. At 56-50, we sit 16 out of first and just three and a half out of second.

We were back home for the first time in what felt like forever, where we hosted the last place Cardinals. Eric Thomas (9-7, 3.75 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) got the start against Bobby Goldberg (7-11, 5.34 ERA, 1.40 WHIP). We gave up 3 in the 8th, and dropped the opener 5-4...

Thomas went 7.2 with 11 hits, 5 runs (4 earned...), 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Three relievers combined for 1.1 innings with 2 hits, a walk, and 2 strikeouts.

Ben Etienne was 2-for-3 with a walk, triple, run scored, and RBI against his former team. Jesse Chesley was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with a walk and RBI. Jeremy Bell was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-5.

Pittsburgh SP Richard Aguilar tossed a 4-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts in a 5-0 win over Newark.

August 2nd, 1904: We looked to even the series back up with Josh Fisher (3-7, 3.97 ERA, 1.24 WHIP) facing Angel Garcia (3-7, 9.00 ERA, 1.97 WHIP) who's spent most of the season pitching out of the pen. Despite command problems, Fisher continued his hot stretch, and we evened the series with a 6-3 win!

Fisher almost went the distance, 8.1 innings with 4 hits, 2 runs, 7 walks, and 9 strikeouts. Yu-wei Li allowed a hit and run in 0.2 innings.

Justin Arrington went 3-for-4 with a steal, double, run scored, and 3 RBI's. Omar Atillio was 2-for-3 with 2 runs scored. Giobbe Capauana, Zack Lawrence, and Jesus Camargo were all 1-for-4 with solo homers.

August 3rd, 1904: The final game of the series saw southpaws D.J. Ruhnke (13-9, 4.30 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) and Tony Downs (2-4, 3.91 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) go head-to-head. Ruhnke looked amazing, and we cruised to a 7-1 victory.

D.J. went 8 with 3 hits, a run, 3 walks, and 8 strikeouts. Cody Hall struck out 2 in a perfect 9th.

Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with 2 runs, 3 RBI's, and a homer. Ben Etienne was 2-for-4 with a double and three run homer. Damian Salcido was 2-for-3 with a double, solo homer, and walk. Zack Lawrence and Giobbe Capuana were both 1-for-4 with a run scored.

We're off tomorrow!

August 4th, 1904: We were off today, but in Grand Rapids, Jorge Montalvo struck out 16 in a 1-0 win over the Jersey Devils. In 8 innings he walked just 1 and allowed only 2 hits.

The Wildcats would join us tomorrow for a three game set. At 51-55, they are 22 out of first and 10.5 out of second. We'd see Jose Gonzalez (4-5, 3.67 ERA), Willis Salinas (9-9, 4.69 ERA), and Juan Barajas (3-6, 3.55 ERA).

August 5th, 1904: We passed the draft pick signing deadline, and all our unsigned draftees announced where they'd continue their careers. Next year, we receive an extra supplemental pick, the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, and the 15th pick in the 3rd round. Here's where our guys are heading:

1st Round: C Tom McIlwain (Princeton 1907)
2nd Round: RHP Kevin Hogan (Georgia 1907)
3rd Round: CF Israel Martinez (Bradley 1907)
7th Round: C John Liening (Chipola 1907)
13th Round: C Casey Hart (York 1905)
15th Round: SP Javier Orozco (North Carolina 1907): Totally perdicted this one!

Back to baseball as the Wildcats and Willis Salinas (9-9, 4.69 ERA, 1.46 WHIP) were in town and took on Nate McCue (6-5, 4.05 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) in the opener. We couldn't get the offense going at all, and were shutout 5-0.

McCue went 7 with 6 hits, 5 runs, a walk, and 6 strikeouts.

Damian Salcido was 2-for-4. Ben Etienne was 1-for-3 with a walk. Jonathan Simmons and Jesus Camargo were both 1-for-4.

Milwaukee's Sean Donald tossed a 5-hit shutout in a 4-0 win over Chicago.

August 6th, 1904: We looked to even the series back up with Eric Thomas (9-8, 3.79 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) facing the red-hot Tim Allday (7-3, 4.28 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). Thomas is a perfect 3-0 with a 3.00 ERA against Washington so far this season. He had no such luck today, and we were crushed 11-3...

Thomas allowed 10 hits and 10 runs in 4.2 innings with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts. Cody Hall went 4.1 innings with 4 hits, a run, 2 walks, and a strikeout.

Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a two run homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch.

August 7th, 1904: We looked to avoid the sweep with Matt Puckett (10-6, 4.40 ERA, 1.24 WHIP) facing Jose Gonzalez (4-5, 3.67 ERA, 1.29 WHIP). Our woes continued, and the Wildcats finished off the sweep with a 9-5 win.

I guess our season finishes a little earlier this year then last...

Puck was shelled for 9 hits and 8 runs in 3 innings. He walked 2 and struck out 4. Matt Macias tossed 2 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson tossed 2 innings and struck out 4. Ben Follmar tossed 2 more, but allowed 2 hits and a run with 2 strikeouts.

Ben Etienne was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles and a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 2-for-3 with a double, 2 walks, and solo homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a homer, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and 2 walks.

Pittsburgh's Bryce Kelly tossed a 4-hit shutout and struck out 9 in a 4-0 win over Boston.

Luckily, we're off tomorrow, and we'd be able to stay at home with hopes of getting back on track.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #68
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

August 8th-August 14th

August 8th, 1904: Cincinnati CF Danny Boekhout and Newark SS Raul Salinas were named Players of the Week.

We fell all the way down to 10th in the Power Rankings. 58-54 is good enough for third, albeit 18.5 games out of first.

We're off today, but the Red Hawks come to town for a quick two game series before another off day for us. Cincy is 56-56 and in 4th place, but we'd see their best two starters in Mike Gardenhire (9-5, 4.13 ERA) and Humberto Gonzalez (12-7, 4.40 ERA).

August 9th, 1904: D.J. Ruhnke (14-9, 4.17 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) got the ball in the opener against Mike Gardenhire (9-5, 4.13 ERA). We scored in nearly every inning, and crushed the Red Hawks 10-3.

Ruhnke went 7 with 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, and 13 strikeouts. Cody Hall went 2 with a hit and 4 strikeouts.

Damain Salcido was 3-for-5 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI. Jesus Camargo was 3-for-4 with a double and run scored. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a homer, hit by pitch, 3 runs, and 2 RBI's. Omar Atillio was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and 3 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a walk and RBI.

August 10th, 1904: We looked to finish a quick two game sweep with Nate McCue (6-6, 4.20 ERA, 1.16 WHIP) taking on Humberto Gonzalez (12-7, 4.40 ERA, 1.31 WHIP). Tied at 4 after 9, Ben Etienne sent the fans home happy with a walk-off RBI single off Mike Marchini (who I actually tried trading for) and we finished our rough homestand on the right note.

McCue went 7.2 with 9 hits, 4 runs, a walk, and 10 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira picked up the win, 2 innings with just 1 hit.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double, walk, homer, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-5 with a run scored and RBI. Etienne was 2-for-6 with the game winning RBI. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-3 with 2 walks and a run scored. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a walk.

We're off again tomorrow!

August 11th, 1904: Lightning ace Bobby Brosius struck out 16 in a 7-1 win over the Cardinals.

We packed our bags and headed to New Orleans, where we'd have a three game set with the 45-70 Cajuns. The projected three were Steve Hudson (10-11, 4.80 ERA), Ignacio Mosqueda (5-8, 6.19 ERA), and Jaime Bottorff (5-14, 4.09 ERA).

August 12th, 1904: Eric Thomas (9-9, 4.22 ERA, 1.34 WHIP) toed the rubber in the opener against Steve Hudson (10-11, 4.80 ERA, 1.34 WHIP) and the New Orleans Cajuns. The bats looked fresh, and we pounded our hosts 13-2!

Thomas went the distance, 9 innings with 5 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and 5 strikeouts.

Justin Arrington was 3-for-6 with 2 steals, 2 runs, and 2 RBIs. Jeremy Bell was 3-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-5 with a homer and 3 RBI's. Ben Etienne was 2-for-3 with a two run homer. He was replaced by Seth Bland, who went 2-for-2 with 2 doubles, a walk, run scored, and RBI. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk, double, run scored, and RBI. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, and a two run homer. Thomas was 1-for-4 with a run scored and sac-bunt.

August 13th, 1904: We looked to keep on rolling with Matt Puckett (10-7, 4.82 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) facing Ignacio Mosqueda (5-8, 6.19 ERA, 1.55 WHIP). Another extra inning game, but our luck ran out after Kab-shik Min walked it off with a solo shot off Laranjeira.

Even worse then the 6-5 loss, was Damian Salcido leaving with an injury...

Puckett went 7 with 9 hits, 5 runs, and 5 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira allowed a hit, run, and got a strikeout in an inning and a batter (Min...).

Jonathan Simmons was 3-for-5 with a two run homer. Justin Arrington was 2-for-5 with a walk and solo homer. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with a double, 2 walks, and run scored. Ben Etienne was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a walk, double, and run scored. Puckett was 1-for-3 with an RBI.

August 14th, 1904: We looked to take the rubber match with D.J. Ruhnke (15-9, 4.16 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) back on the mound against fellow southpaw Jaime Bottorff (5-14, 4.09 ERA, 1.39 WHIP). We made the most of our 9 hits today, and won the finale 9-5!

Ruhnke went 7 with 9 hits, 4 runs, a walk, and 10 strikeouts. Juan Londono got a save, 2 innings with 2 hits, a run, walk, and 2 strikeouts.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk, homer, and 4 RBI's. Jeremy Bell was 2-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, and a solo shot. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double and walk. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with 2 runs scored. Giobbe Capuanan was 2-for-4 with a walk and double. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, and a three run homer.

Rebels ace Kevin Miller tossed a 5-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over the Mustangs.

Off to Washington for a four game set with the Wildcats. At 57-58, they are in 4th place, 22 out of first and 10.5 out of second. We'd see most of the rotation, but avoid their ace, facing Willis Salinas (10-9, 4.29 ERA), Juan Barajas (3-7, 3.80 ERA), Tim Allday (9-3, 4.14 ERA), and Jose Gonzalez (4-5, 3.83 ERA).
Old 04-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #69
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

August 15th-August 21st

August 15th, 1904: New York RF Armando Chavez and Pittsburgh 2B Jon Dieckman were named Players of the Week.

We bounced back up to 7th in the Power Rankings. At 62-55 we are 7.5 behind the Rebels and 18 behind the Lightning.

The first of four in our nation's capital against the Wildcats saw Nate McCue (6-6, 4.24 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) face Willis Salinas (10-9, 4.29 ERA, 1.42 WHIP). Both pitchers were solid, but we got to the pen and took the opener 4-3.

McCue went 8 innings with 8 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and 6 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira allowed a hit and got a strikeout in the 9th to earn his 28th save.

Jorge Rancier was a perfect 4-for-4 with a homer, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a steal and a pair of runs scored. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with an RBI.

Preston Hildenbrand tossed a 4-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts as the Patriots took care of the Pilots 8-0.

August 16th, 1904: Bad news with Damian Salcido, as "Duck Hunter" will miss 5 weeks with bone marrow edema in his wrist, whatever that means...

Salcido was slashing .252/.302/.491 with 23 homers and 55 RBI's and he'll be replaced by Mike Legg, who was hitting well in 33 games with Grand Rapids, working to a .297/.391/.475 line with 5 homers and 21 RBI's. In 58 games with the big league club, he hit just .215/.259/.344 with 5 homers and 15 RBI's.

Andy Palme would take over at short for the time being.

We'd have to play a double header tomorrow, as today's game was rained out. I'd keep the rotation in tact until someone had to pitch on short rest.

A pair of milestones occurred, starting with Brooklyn 1B Victor Martinez hitting his 400th career homer. The 35-year-old slugger hit all 400 homers with Brooklyn, slashing a .274/.349/.537 career line with 1,084 RBI's in 6,469 career plate appearances between 1891-1904. He's still hitting well, .259/.349/.537 (126 OPS+) with 16 homers and 35 RBI's, and has only had an OPS+ below 100 one time in 1902. All-Time, he's tied with Pat Kessleman for 23rd most homers and he's 49th for RBI's.

Veteran closer George Mars recorded his 300th career save, and all 400 have came with the New York Rebels, who selected him 4th overall in 1894. In 635.2 big league innings, Mars has a 2.94 ERA and 1.06 WHIP with 762 strikeouts and just 190 walks. This year he's 4-9 with 29 saves, a 3.63 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, and 75 strikeouts in 57 innings. The 32-year-old inked a three year extension earlier this season.

August 17th, 1904: An interesting August trade with Boston acquiring 1B Mario Rabago and RHP Dave Shear from Newark for RF Dustin Baird and RHP Kendrick Hopewell.

Rabago, the 37-year-old vet, is really the only one worth mentioning, and he was hitting .285/.354/.516 with 27 homers and 70 RBI's. Perhpas Boston thinks they can extend him, as they are way out of the playoff race.

Our double header started with Eric Thomas (10-9, 4.11 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) facing Tim Allday (9-3, 4.14 ERA, 1.33 WHIP). We scored 3 in the 5th and 3 in the 8th, and took the first match 6-4.

Thomas left after 2.2 innings with back stiffness, but he should be fine for his next start. He allowed 2 runs and 3 hits with 3 strikeouts. Cody Hall, who might've gotten a spot start, went 3 innings with 4 hits, a run, 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson got the win, 1.1 innings with a strikeout. Juan Londono earned the hold, a hit and run in an inning of work. Laranjeira secured the save, striking out 1 in a perfect 9th.

Justin Arrington lead the charge, going 3-for-5 with a double, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and a homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a three run homer, his 40th on the season. He's also an RBI away from 100. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-3 with a walk. Mike Legg was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored in his return to thet big league club. Hall was 1-for-1 with a run scored and a clutch 2 out RBI.

I changed my mind on the rotation, and I'd likely go to Jorge Montalvo in two days.

Game two saw Josh Fisher (4-7, 3.83 ERA, 1.24 WHIP) battle his former teammate Juan Barajas (3-7, 3.80 ERA, 1.22 WHIP). We didn't do enough in the early innings, and dropped the second game 5-4.

Fisher went 6 with 9 hits, 5 runs, and 5 strikeouts. Yu-wei Li and Juan Londono both got an inning, with the former walking 1 and the latter getting a strikeout.

Ben Etienne was 2-for-5 with a double. Omar Atillio was 2-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Mike Legg had a pinch hit single and later scored in a three run 7th.

August 18th, 1904: Matt Puckett (10-7, 4.89 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) got the ball in the finale against Jose Gonzalez (4-5, 3.83 ERA, 1.32 WHIP). More scoring was done in extras then in regulation, as a 3-3 game turned to a 7-5 game after we got 4 and they got 2 in the 11th.

Puck looked fine, 6 innings with 6 hits, 3 runs (2 earned...), 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira went 2 with 4 hits, 2 runs, and 2 strikeouts.

Jeremy Bell was 3-for-5 with 2 solo homers. Ben Etienne was 2-for-6 with a three run homer in the 11th. Andy Palme was 2-for-5 with a homer, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and a walk. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a pair of walks.

New Orleans SS Frank Duran was 5-for-5 in a 5-1 win over the Red Hawks. That's 5 more then expected from the former 14th Round Pick, who's put together a relatively solid career, hitting .232/.308/.341 with 36 homres, 149 steals, and 192 RBI's in 602 games with Milwaukee, Philly, and New Orleans.

We'll return home to face the team that selected Duran, Milwaukee, in a three game set. Scheduled to face us are ace Yeong-shin Kim (16-4, 2.77 ERA), Alberto Lucero (7-11, 5.47 ERA), and Sean Donald (9-13, 5.05 ERA).

August 19th, 1904: I had a dilemma, either call up Jorge Montalvo from Grand Rapids to make today's start, or stick with the rested ace D.J. Ruhnke. I decided to stick with Ruhnke (16-9, 4.19 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) and push back Montalvo's start tomorrow, as I needed my best arm against the dominate Yeong-shin Kim (16-4, 2.77 ERA, 1.03 WHIP). We needed the elite version of Ruhnke badly, and he showed out in a 7-2 surprise win to start the series.

Ruhnke went 8+ with 5 hits, 2 runs, 4 walks, and 7 strikeouts, with both runs coming in the 9th. Matt Macias finished the game, going an inning with a hit and strikeout.

Omar Atillio went 2-for-4 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a grand slam. Ruhnke was 1-for-2 with a double, sac-bunt, and run scored.

August 20th, 1904: I temporarily DFA'd Cody Hall to make room for today's starter, Jorge Montalvo, who would make his season debut. He'd face Sean Donlad (9-13, 5.05 ERA, 1.46 WHIP). He wasn't perfect, but Montalvo did enough to allow a 4-3 victory.

We're on a roll!!!

The top prospect went 6.1 innings with 5 hits, 3 runs, 4 walks, and 8 strikeouts, but would return back to Grand Rapids for the rest of the minor league season. Simon Ellingson got a hold, 1.1 innings with a hit, walk, and strikeout. Juan Londono struck out the only batter he faced to finish the 8th and earn his 8th hold. Laranjeira notched save 30 with a perfect 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with a double, walk, run, and 3 RBI's. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Jeremy Bell was 2-for-3 with a triple and walk. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with a double.

Cleveland's Derrick Briggs tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 10-0 win over first place Philadelphia.

Down in Grand Rapids, Travis Walters stuck out 15 in a 5-4 win over Louisville.

August 21st, 1904: We couldn't pick up the sweep, as today's game was rained out.

RF Armando Chavez went 5-for-5 as New York clobbered New Orleans 17-7. Now 73-51, they have a comfortable 5.5 game advantage.

The extra off day may do us well, as the Lightning will come to town for three before another off day. St. Louis is cruising, 83-40, and 10.5 games ahead of the Rebels. We'd face righty Matt Nesgoda (11-5, 3.41 ERA) and then the lefties Ron Howard (10-2, 3.58 ERA) and Jim McNiff (14-5, 2.41 ERA).
Old 04-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #70
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

August 22nd-August 28th

August 22nd, 1904: Washington SS Manuel Contreras and Newark LF Jordan Mondragon picked up Player of the Week awards.

In St. Joseph, RF Jackson Drake was Midwest League Player of the Week. He went 12-for-24 with a homer and 2 RBI's.

Baltimore will be without RHP John Coleman for the rest of the season with a torn labrum. In 21 relief appearances, he had a 5.52 ERA and 27 strikeouts in 29.1 innings.

We moved up a spot to 5th in the Power Rankings. At 67-56, we are 16 behind our current opponent, the Lightning, and 5.5 behind out next opponent, the Rebels.

Nate McCue (7-6, 4.18 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) welcomed Ron Howard (10-2, 3.58 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) and the first place Lightning to Detroit. They absolutely humiliated us, and shut us out 12-0...

McCue went just 4 with 8 hits, 8 runs (3 earned...), 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Cody Hall went 2 with 5 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Matt Macias went 3 with 2 hits and 3 strikeouts.

Ben Etienne was 2-for-4 with a double against one of his former teams. Seth Bland was 2-for-3 with a walk. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch.

August 23rd, 1904: We looked to forget about yesterday, and get back on track with Eric Thomas (10-9, 4.15 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) taking on Matt Nesgoda (11-5, 3.41 ERA, 1.13 WHIP). A big four run sixth propelled us in a 6-4 bounce back win.

Both Thomas and Macias left with injuries, with Thomas' diagnosis pending and Macias just a strained back. He won't need a DL stint, but I won't let him pitch till he's healthy.

Thomas went just 3.2 with a hit, run, walk, and 2 strikeouts. Macias, after 3 innings yesterday, tossed 2 innings with 4 hits, 2 runs, and 2 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson got the win, finishing the 6th with a hit and strikeout. Yu-wei Li got a hold, 2 innings with 4 hits, a run, and 2 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira picked up the save, 2 walks, a hit, and 2 strikeouts, in a stressful 9th.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double, sac-fly, and 2 RBI's. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a homer, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and a steal. Omar Atillio was 2-for-4 with a triple and run scored. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-3 with 2 walks. Jorge Rancier was 2-for-3 with a run scored. Jesus Camargo came off the bench and was 1-for-2 with a two run homer. Mike Legg was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

August 24th, 1904: We looked to take the rubber match in a high octane lefty battle between D.J. Ruhnke (17-9, 4.12 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) and Jim McNiff (14-5, 2.41 ERA, 0.94 WHIP). Down 2-1 in the 9th, Jonathan Simmons walked it off with a 2-run single off Mike Wilson.

Ruhnke went the whole game, 9 innings with 8 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and 8 strikeouts. The numbers don't really stand out, but against a team like the Lightning, it's really impressive.

Simmons was the entirety of the offense today, 3-for-4 with the game winning single as well as a solo homer in the 7th. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

We get tomorrow off!

August 25th, 1904: Jorge Montalvo had a great performance, striking out 16 in a 3-1 win over Syracuse for Grand Rapids.

Off to New York for three with the red hot New York Rebels. At 75-52, they have a comfortable 5.5 game lead that I'd love to cut down to 3. We'd face Antonio Gonzalez (6-1, 2.70 ERA), Mike Stebner (11-8, 4.40 ERA), and Chris Brown (12-8, 4.17 ERA).

August 26th, 1904: Eric Thomas was diagnosed with a torn meniscus, and he'd miss the rest of the year. That means Jorge Montalvo would get the call in the rotation. The impressive 23-year-old was 16-7 with a 2.59 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 270 strikeouts in 27 starts with the Grand Rapids Bulls.

We had a tough road series in New York with Matt Puckett (10-7, 4.82 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) facing southpaw Mike Stebner (11-8, 4.40 ERA, 1.28 WHIP) who jumped Gonzalez in the rotation. We picked up our 70th win on the season with a nice 6-1 opening victory.

It wasn't all good news, as C Jeremy Bell left with an injury when legging out a double in the second.

Puckett was solid, 7 innings with 4 hits, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts, and an unearned run. The Gold Glover Seth Bland was charged with 2 errors, likely a first in his career.

Ben Etienne made it his game, 3-for-4 with a a solo homer and two run homer. Jonathan Simmons was 3-for-4 with a run scored. Giobbe Capauna was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a run scored, RBI, and walk.

Brooklyn SP Nick Jones tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 4-0 win over Baltimore. Boston SP and former Charger Justin Davies tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 9-0 win over the Cyclones.

August 27th, 1904: More bad news with injuries, as Bell fractured his fibula, and will also miss the remainder of the year. Danny Sanchez, who was hitting .240/.358/.344 with 4 homers and 27 RBI's in 66 games with the Bulls was recalled.

We looked to win our 4th straight with Nate McCue (7-7, 4.26 ERA, 1.21 WHIP) facing the red hot Chris Brown (12-8, 4.17 ERA, 1.45 WHIP). The pitching was abused, and we were crushed 13-4...

McCue allowed 8 in 6 with 13 hits, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson allowed 5 unearned runs off 3 hits, a walk, and a strikeout in 0.2 innings.

Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with 2 walks, a run scored, and RBI. Jorge Rancier hit a pinch hit homer in the 7th. Omar Atillio was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

August 28th, 1904: We needed to win the finale with Josh Fisher (4-8, 4.02 ERA, 1.26 WHIP) taking on Antonio Gonzalez (6-1, 2.70 ERA, 1.01 WHIP). The offense was missing in action, and the Rebels knocked us off 6-1.

Man...

Fisher went 6 with 7 hits, 5 runs, and 2 strikeouts. Ellingson allowed 3 hits, a run, and strikeout in 2 innings.

Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a steal. Giobbe Capuana and Ben Etienne were 1-for-4 with a double. Fisher was 1-for-2.

Another former Charger, Brooklyn's Ernie Morris, tossed a 6-hit shutout with 11 punchouts in a 6-0 win over Baltimore.

We're off tomorrow!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #71
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

August 29th-September 4th

August 29th, 1904: We have our last off day of August today! New Orleans RF Jesus Falcon (formerly a 1B) and Pittsburgh RF Jose Granado were named Players of the Week.

We dropped down to 6th in the Power Rankings. At 70-59, we are 6.5 games out of second place.

Off to Milwaukee for three with the 63-67 Mustangs. We'd face Yeong-shin Kim (16-6, 3.00 ERA), Sean Donald (9-14, 4.92 ERA), and Alberto Lugero (8-11, 5.52 ERA).

August 30th, 1904: Our last series of the month starter with D.J. Ruhnke (18-9, 4.03 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) taking on Yeong-shin Kim (!6-6, 3.00 ERA, 1.04 WHIP) who we've given half of his losses. Ruhnke has picked up 3 wins against the Mustangs with a tiny 1.85 ERA. In a rain shortened game, the hosts won 4-1 after just 5 innings.

Ruhnke went 5 with 9 hits, 4 runs, and 4 strikeouts. Omar Atillio was 2-for-2 with a solo home. Mike Legg was 1-for-2, his single our only other hit.

August 31st, 1904: We looked to finish the month with a win as Matt Puckett (11-7, 4.61 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) took on Sean Donald (9-14, 4.92 ERA, 1.45 WHIP). Puckett is 3-1 with a 1.74 ERA against Milwaukee while Donald is 0-3 with an 8.10 ERA against us this year. Everything was pitiful, and we lost 8-2...

Puck went 5 with 3 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Ben Follmar allowed 3 hits and 4 runs with 2 walks and strikeouts in 1.2 innings.

Zack Lawrence was 2-for-4 with a steal and run scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a walk, steal, and run scored. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-2 with 2 walks and an RBI.

Lightning lefty Bobby Brosius struck out 19 in a 7-1 win over Cincinnati. That broke the All-Time record of 18 held by Phil Lauck (5/26/1881) and Marcos Hernandez (4/23/1902). Brosius has already struck out 15 or more batters four times this season.

Rosters expand tomorrow, but I wouldn't make a bunch of moves until after the minor leagues are done with their seasons.

September 1st, 1904: Happy September! I'm hoping this won't be the last month we play baseball in, but we've got a lot of ground to make up...

New York 1B Roy Luska and Baltimore CF Jonathan Nagy were Batters of the Month. St. Louis SP Bobby Brosius and Philadelphia SP Josh Foster were Pitchers of the Month. New York CF Robun Fujimoto and Philadelphia 1B Gabe Solis were Rookies of the Month.

In Grand Rapids, LF Alex Nagel won Batter of the Month. He hit .299 with 8 homers and 25 RBI's.

I made one call up, with Jonathan Hyde joining the team in Milwaukee where we looked to avoid getting swept. Nate McCue (7-8, 4.60 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) got the start against Derrick Fullerton (7-9, 4.06 ERA, 1.35 WHIP). Despite a pitiful start, we escaped with a 9-7 sweep avoiding win.

McCue was tagged for 7 runs and 10 hits with just a walk and 2 strikeouts. Simon Ellingson picked up the win, 2 innings with 2 walks and a strikeout. Juan Londono recorded his 9th hold with a perfect 8th. Tobias Laranjeira struck out the side in a perfect 9th for his 32nd save.

Ben Etienne was 2-for-5 with a homer and 4 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with 3 runs, a walk, and 2 solo homers. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-2 with 2 runs, a steal, hit by pitch, and 2 walks. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-4 with a two run homer.

We head home to host the Wildcats in a three game series. They sit at 64-69, 25 games out of first place. We'd face former Charger Juan Barajas (3-8, 4.22 ERA), Jose Gonzalez (5-6, 3.84 ERA), and Bobby Centeno (2-3, 4.61 ERA).

September 2nd, 1904: Washington was in town to start a three game set, with the struggling Juan Barajas (3-8, 4.22 ERA, 1.32 WHIP) facing Josh Fisher (4-9, 4.19 ERA, 1.25 WHIP). We couldn't get the offense going, and were topped 4-1.

Fisher went the distance with 10 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts.

Zack Lawrence was 2-for-4 with a double and solo homer. Justin Arrington was 2-for-3 with a walk. Andy Palme and Ben Etienne both were 1-for-4.

Former Charger Carlos Ramirez tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 5-0 Buffalo win over Cleveland.

September 3rd, 1904: I added Toshiya Hayashi back to the active roster before today's game.

A pair of postseason eliminations with both Chicago and New Orleans 38.5 and 38 games out respectively. The Cardinals are 50-83 while the Cajuns 51-83.

We looked to even the series back up with Jorge Montalvo (1-0, 4.26 ERA, 1.42 WHIP) making his second start of the season against Jose Gonzalez (5-6, 3.84 ERA, 1.33 WHIP). The youngster looked brilliant, and we edged the Wildcats 3-2.

Montalvo allowed just 2 hits and 2 runs with a walk and 9 strikeouts in 8 innings. Tobias Laranjeira had a perfect 9th to pick up his 33rd save.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a walk and 2 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI. Danny Sanchez was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

September 4th, 1904: The Buffalo Calvary have also been eliminated from the playoffs. At 50-85, they are 36 games behind the 86-59 Philadelphia Freedom.

We looked to take the rubber match with D.J. Ruhnke (18-10, 4.10 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) taking on Willis Salinas (11-10, 4.43 ERA, 1.44 WHIP). A big 5 run 8th gave us the insurance needed to win the finale 6-2 (they got 1 in the 9th).

Ruhnke went 8 with 4 hits, a run, walk, and 10 strikeouts. Jonathan Hyde allowed a run and hit with a strikeout in the 9th.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-3 with a double, walk, run scored, and RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a three run homer. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Justin Arrington hit a pinch hit solo homer in the 8th while batting for Ruhnke.

Off to Cincinnati for a three game series with the Red Hawks. We'd see Shane Gildersleeve's debut, Jonathan Vogl (2-4, 5.43 ERA), and Nam-shik Kim (9-12, 4.59 ERA). Grand Rapids finishes up their regular season tomorrow, but they will be competing for an American League title.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 04-27-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #72
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

September 5th-September 11th

September 5th, 1904: Milwaukee 2B Carlos Licea and Newark 1B Jordan Reyes were named Players of the Week.

We stayed at 6th in the Power Rankings. At 73-52, we are still 6.5 games out of second place, making it a tough road left to go.

Not as tough as the road for Newark, who have officially been eliminated from the playoffs. At 52-84, they sit 35 games out of first in their 5th season in the UBL.

The Red Hawks altered their rotation, starting the series with Jonathan Vogl (2-4, 5.43 ERA, 1.51 WHIP) facing former Red Hawk Matt Puckett (11-8, 4.69 ERA, 1.29 WHIP). We looked pathetic, and dropped the opener 7-2.

Puckett went 5 with 5 hits, 6 runs, 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Jonathan Hyde allowed a hit, run, and got a strikeout in an inning.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with a walk and two run homer in the 9th. Ben Etienne was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored.

September 6th, 1904: Baltimore will be without rookie 3B Jung-Sang Park for the rest of the season. He was hitting .309 with 22 homers and 55 RBI's in 353 at bats.

The middle match saw Nate McCue (7-8, 4.95 ERA, 1.32 WHIP) take on Shane Gildersleeve, the 18th Overall Pick in 1898, making his major league debut. The 26-year-old had very little success, and we crushed our hosts 10-2.

McCue went the distance with 6 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), a walk, and 4 strikeouts.

Zack Lawrence was 3-for-5 with 2 runs and an RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-4 with a homer, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-5 with a homer, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Ben Etienne was 1-for-4 with a grand slam. Mike Legg was 1-for-4 with a homer and 2 runs scored. Jesse Chesley was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

Milestone win for 35-year-old SP David Plaster. The Philadelhpia righty picked up his 250th career win in a 2-1 win over the Pilots. The durable righty has made 511 big league starts, going 250-142 with a 3.76 ERA and 1.22 WHIP to go with 3,429 strikeouts in 3,678.2 innings. The former 3rd Overall Pick by New Orleans in 1887, he's played with the Cajuns, Lightning, Bearcats, and Freedom since debuting in 1888.

September 7th, 1904: The rubber match saw Josh Fisher (4-10, 4.18 ERA, 1.26 WHIP) battle Nab-shik Kim (9-12, 4.59 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). We fell apart in the late innings, and dropped the finale 7-3.

Fisher pitched too long, 7.1 innings with 8 hits, 7 runs, 3 walks, and 2 strikeout.

Giobbe Capuana and Jonathan Simmons were both 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Ben Etienne was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

Off to New Orleans for four with the Cajuns. We'd see Jaime Bottorff (6-16, 4.71 ERA), Mark Weir (1-2, 12.96 ERA), Jose Morales (2-3, 5.04 ERA), and Jesse Salvetti (6-6, 4.73 ERA).

September 8th, 1904: I added an extra hitter, LF Alex Nagel to the active roster.

We opened the four game set in New Orleans with the youngster Jorge Montalvo (2-0, 3.14 ERA, 0.84 WHIP) facing Jaime Bottorff (6-16, 4.71 ERA, 1.46 WHIP). We piled on the runs and took the opener 9-1.

Montalvo looked solid, 6 innings with 2 hits, a run, 4 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Jonathan Hyde got a 3 inning save, with 4 strikeouts in a perfect outing.

Ben Etienne was 3-for-5 with a three run homer. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a homer, 2 runs, a walk, 3 RBI's, and a steal. He has 29 homers and 19 steals, one away in both categories for another 30/20 season. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-5 with a homer, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Andy Palme was 2-for-4 with a RBI, hit by pitch, and 2 runs scored.

September 9th, 1904: Game two saw D.J. Ruhnke (19-10, 4.00 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) look to stay hot and lower his ERA below 4 against the struggling Mark Weir (1-2, 12.96 ERA, 2.40 WHIP). We gave up 6 in the 8th, and fell 8-3...

Ruhnke went 7.1 with 8 hits, 8 runs (7 earned), 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Juan Londono allowed a hit and got a strikeout in 0.2 innings.

Mike Legg was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-4 with a two run homer. Ben Etienne was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Andy Palme was 1-for-2 with a walk, hit by pitch, and run scored.

Milwaukee's Yeong-shin Kim tossed a 4-hit shutout with 9 strikeouts in an 8-0 win over New York.

September 10th, 1904: We needed to get back on track with Matt Puckett (11-9, 4.87 ERA, 1.31 WHIP) facing Jose Morales (2-3, 5.04 ERA, 1.88 WHIP). We got a big 5 run 4th to keep up the win-loss pattern in a 8-4 victory.

Puckett went 8 with 7 hits, 4 runs, a walk, and 4 strikeouts.

Jonathan Simmons was 4-for-5 with a double and run scored. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a walk, homer, and 3 RBI's. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-4 with a walk, RBI, and 2 runs scored. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run homer.

September 11th, 1904: The Boston Patriots have been eliminated from postseason contention. At 61-80, they are 30.5 games behind the Freedom. Boston hasn't made the playoffs since 1900.

The finale saw former Cajun Nate McCue (8-8, 4.71 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) face former Charger Jesse Salvetti (6-6, 4.73 ERA, 1.58 WHIP). Despite a nice 2-0 lead, we let it fall-apart in a 4-2 loss...

McCue went 8 with 10 hits, 4 runs, 2 walks, and 6 strikeouts.

Giobbe Capuana was 2-for-3 with a walk, 2 runs, and solo homer. Seth Bland was 2-for-4. Danny Sanchez was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch and RBI. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a steal and 2 walks.

The long road trip continues in St. Louis with three against the first place Lightning. We'd face Ron Howard (12-3, 3.31 ERA), Jim McNiff (16-6, 2.46 ERA), and Matt Nesgoda (12-8, 3.39 ERA).
Old 04-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #73
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

September 12th-September 18th

September 12th, 1904: Milwaukee 1B Al Birkbeck and Philadelphia RF Ben Donaldson were named Players of the Week.

We fell to 8th in the Power Rankings. At 76-66, we are 7.5 out of second as we continue to fall farther out of the playoffs.

We'd probably drop another game in St. Louis, with Josh Fisher (4-11, 4.41 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) facing Ron Howard (12-3, 3.31 ERA, 1.16 WHIP). We couldn't get the offense going, and dropped the opener 3-1.

Fisher went 8 with 5 hits, 3 runs, and 4 strikeouts.

Ben Etienne was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a double. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk.

Chicago SS Angelo Rios was 5-for-6 in a 4-3 win over New Orleans. The 22-year-old is a rising star who was a 2nd Round Pick of the Cardinals in 1901.

September 13th, 1904: The middle match pitted Jorge Montalvo (3-0, 2.66 ERA, 0.89 WHIP) against Matt Nesgoda (12-8, 3.39 ERA, 1.18 WHIP). After tieing the game with a three run 9th, Julio Montes took Tobias Laranjeira deep in the bottom of the 10th, and our comeback was in vain after a 6-5 loss.

Montalvo allowed 7 hits and 5 runs with 3 walks and 7 strikeouts in 4.2 innings. Jonathan Hyde went 2.1 innings with 2 hits, a walk, and 2 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira went 1.1 innings with a hit, run, and strikeout.

Jorge Rancier was 2-for-4 with a double, triple, run, and RBI. Alex Nagel was 1-for-4 with a three run homer. Omar Atillio was 1-for-3 with a run scored. Montalvo was 1-for-2 with an RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

Red Hawks SP Mike Gardenhire tossed a 3-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts in a 13-0 domination of the Mustangs.

September 14th, 1904: The St. Louis Lightning will return to the postseason for the 12th straight year. After missing the playoffs the first 23 years of their existence, they've made it every year since. At 96-49, they are 12.5 games ahead of the Rebels.

Speaking of the Lightning, they'd look to finish off the sweep with Jim McNiff (16-6, 2.46 ERA, 0.93 WHIP) taking on D.J. Ruhnke (19-11, 4.14 ERA, 1.18 WHIP). Tied at 4 after 9, the Lightning walked us off again, winning the finale and finishing the sweep with a 5-4 win...

Ruhnke went 6 with 5 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Laranjeira got another loss, 1.1 innings with 2 hits, a run, walk, and 2 strikeouts.

Ben Etienne was 2-for-5 with a two run homer. Zack Lawrence was 2-for-6 with a double and 2 RBI's. Seth Bland was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

Washington's Marcos Hernandez struck out 18 in a 12-5 win over the Rebels. This is the 2nd 18 strikeout game of his career, and the 2nd of 18 or more this season with Bobby Brosius breaking the single game record with 19 a few weeks ago.

Our final road series of the year starts in Chicago with three against the last place Cardinals. We'd take on Bobby Goldberg (9-16, 5.43 ERA), Chris van der Linden (2-0, 3.27 ERA), Orlando Vigil (8-12, 5.27 ERA), and Andy Riffle (1-2, 4.50 ERA).

September 15th, 1904: We looked to get back in the win column with Matt Puckett (12-9, 4.85 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) looking to get back on track against the "red hot" Bobby Goldberg (9-16, 5.43 ERA, 1.43 WHIP). Neither offense was hot, but we managed to escape with a 3-1 win.

Puck went 6 with 5 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 11 strikeouts. Tyler Bienvenu and Yu-wei Li picked up holds before Tobias Laranjeira got the save. Bienvenu struck out both batters he face, Li struck out 2 with a hit in 1.2 innings, and Laranjeira struck out 1 in 0.2.

Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a walk and solo homer. Ben Etienne was 1-for-4 with a two run homer. Jesse Chesley and Mike Legg were both 1-for-4 with a double.

September 16th, 1904: Game 2 saw Nate McCue (8-9, 4.70 ERA, 1.30 WHIP) take on Chris van der Linden (2-0, 3.27 ERA, 1.23 WHIP). It was a tight one throughout, but we managed to edge our hosts 6-5 to insure at least a split.

McCue went 7 with 8 hits, 5 runs, and 4 strikeouts. Tyler Bienvenu went 0.2 innings with a hit and strikeout for the hold. Juan Londono went 1.1 perfect innings for his 5th save of the campaign.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and 2 RBI's. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-4 with a walk and two run homer, his 50th on the sesaon. Omar Atillio was 1-for-2 with 2 walks, 2 runs, and a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored. McCue was 1-for-2 with a double, sac-bunt, and RBI. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

September 17th, 1904: A shocking September trade with RHP Matt Rosenthal and SS Julio Segura going to St. Louis from New Orleans for 2B Bob Mendez and C Ricky Cobos Jr.

Rosenthal, 30, is a lefty who's set to be a free agent. A former 9th Round Pick by the REd Hawks, he tossed just 3 innings with them in 1897 before being traded to New Orleans. In his big league career, he's tossed 251.2 innings with a 5.58 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, and 300 strikeouts. This year has been his only good season, working to a 2.91 ERA and 1.29 WHIP with 47 punchouts in 43.1 innings.

Segura, 22, is a decent middle infield glove-first prospect. He doesn't hit the best, but he's a great athlete and leader in the clubhouse. He signed for just $142 out of Venezuela back in 1898, but he looks like a decent prospect.

Mendez, 24, is also from Venezuela, but doesn't have nearly as much prospect hype as Segura. Mendez isn't much of a hitter either, and is likely best suited for third instead of second. He his, however, just as athletic, but with much less upside.

Cobos Jr., 24, is son of former big league starter Ricky Cobos who managed just 101.1 innings in the big leagues with Cincy and St. Louis. Junior was an 8th Round selection in 1898, and has reached Class A for the first time this season. A solid defender who won't strike out too much at the plate, Cobos has backup catcher potential.

We looked to clinch the series win a day early with Josh Fisher (4-12, 4.36 ERA, 1.23 WHIP) taking on Orlando Vigil (8-12, 5.27 ERA, 1.50 WHIP). We looked absolutely pathetic, and were hammered 14-1.

Okay, no more losses this year...

Fisher allowed 8 in 5.2 innings with 11 hits, a walk, and 3 strikeouts. Toshiya Hayashi allowed 6 hits and 6 runs with 2 strikeouts in 1.2 innings.

Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Danny Sanchez was 1-for-3. That's all the hits...

September 18th, 1904: Fresh off an AL Championship, I brought up the remainder of my callups from Grand Rapids. Joining the team were pitchers Joe Stoner, Travis Walters, Danny Waltz, and Jesse Padula and 2B's Bobby Smarsh and Juan Villanueva. With 35 of 40 spots filled, left were the injured James Peters, James Rose, and Damian Salcido, although Salcido should be ready tomorrow. We had 2 open 40 spots with Eric Thomas and Jeremy Bell on the 60-Day DL. I may make a few moves when we return home.

We looked to put yesterday behind us and retake the series with Jorge Montalvo (3-0, 3.96 ERA, 1.12 WHIP) facing southpaw Andy Riffle (1-2, 4.50 ERA, 1.53 WHIP). But of course, we fell short, and dropped the finale 8-4...

Montalvo allowed 8 hits and 8 runs with 3 walks and 5 strikeouts in 4.1 innings. The pen combined for 3.2 innings with 5 hits, 2 walks, and just 2 strikeouts.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk and RBI. Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a walk, hit by pitch, and solo homer. Seth Bland was 1-for-3 with 2 walks, a run, and RBI. Andy Palme was 1-for-3 with 2 walks and a run scored.

Well, even though the playoffs seem out of reach, we'd head home before our off day tomorrow. With 13 games left and being 7 games out of second, it seems all but over...
Old 04-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #74
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

September 19th-September 25th

September 19th, 1904: With no minor league games left, Damian Salcido will instantly rejoin the roster off the DL. We're off today, but he'd play tomorrow.

The St. Louis Lightning officially won the American League. At 99-50, they are 14 games ahead of the second place Rebels. The NL leading Philadelphia Freedom have clinched a postseason spot. At an ever so slightly worse 99-51, they hold an 11 game lead over the 88-62 Brooklyn Bearcats.

Cincinnati 2B Carlos Ruiz and Philadelphia SS Willie Gonzalez were named Players of the Week.

The Power Rankings dropped us to 10th. At 78-71, we have just a 0.3% chance of making the postseason.

We'd be home the rest of the season, starting with a three game series against the 73-77 Red Hawks. We'd see Nam-shik Kim (10-13, 4.46 ERA), Mike Rivera (4-5, 4.40 ERA), and Jonathan Vogl (3-4, 4.34 ERA).

September 20th, 1904: Both the Cincinnati Red Hawks (73-77) and Milwaukee Mustangs (72-78) were eliminated from the postseason.

Before the game today, I purchased the contract of CF Justin MacFarland. The 24-year-old was claimed off waivers from Brooklyn in the offseason because of his elite defense, but he broke out as a hitter this season. In St. Joseph he hit .325/.401/.491 with 40 steals, 9 homers, and 43 RBI's in 82 at bats before reaching Grand Rapids. He cooled off a bit, hitting .267/.367/.415 with 19 steals, 6 homers, and 29 RBI's, but the former 2nd Round Pick by New Orleans would likely get snatched in the Rule-5 Draft. Elite on the bases and in the outfield, he's an extremely valuable piece to any organization.

He'd make his debut batting 7th and playing right as D.J. Ruhnke (19-11, 4.18 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) looked for victory 20 against fellow soutphaw Nab-shik Kim (10-13, 4.46 ERA, 1.33 WHIP). All the scoring was done late, and we took the opener 3-1.

Ruhnke went 8 with just 5 hits, a run, and 13 strikeouts. Tobias Laranjeira had a perfect 9th for his 35th save of the year.

MacFarland was 1-for-3 with a solo homer in his first big league game. Andy Palme and Zack Lawrence were both 1-for-4 with a run scored. Ben Etienne was 1-for-4 with a pair of RBI's. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch and his 20th steal of the year, giving him his 7th straight 20/20 season and 6th straight 30/20 season. Even with the 30 homers and 20 steals, it's his lowest for both categories since 1901 (32 homers) and 1898 (20 steals).

New Orleans' starter Mark Weir tossed a 7-hit shutout in a 6-0 win over Washington.

September 21st, 1904: Big loss for the Freedom as they will be without superstar SS Willie Gonzalez for the playoffs due to a strained rib cage muscle. The always injured Gonzalez was hitting .317/.398/.612 with 23 homers and 52 RBI's in just over 300 plate appearences. Of course, the stacked Freedom have a 3.5* that can just jump in to replace him...

The Washington Wildcats were eliminated from the postseason. They haven't made the playoffs since 1895 with their only other appearances in 1886. At 74-77, they sit 27 out of first.

We looked to keep our home stand perfect with Nate McCue (9-9, 4.77 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) facing Jonathan Vogl (3-4, 4.34 ERA, 1.38 WHIP). We couldn't even get a run on the board, and Vogl tossed a 2-hit shutout in a 6-0 win.

McCue allowed 5 off 12 hits, a walk, and 11 strikeouts in 8 innings. Joe Stoner allowed a hit and run in the 9th.

Omar Atillio was 1-for-3. Andy Palme was 1-for-4.

We weren't the only shutout, as Boston's Jason Heaney and St. Louis' Bobby Brosius both had their magic working. Heaney allowed just 4 hits in a 4-0 win over the Hornets. Brosius allowed 5 hits and struck out 12 in a 7-0 win over Milwaukee.

Septemebr 22nd, 1904: The division belongs to the Freedom, who will likely host the Bearcats in the first round. At 101-51, they are 10.5 games ahead of Brooklyn. Philadelphia is the reigning champs, and have been to the playoffs for now the fourth time in four seasons.

We looked to take the rubber match with Matt Puckett (13-9, 4.74 ERA, 1.29 WHIP) facing Humberto Gonzalez (12-10, 4.65 ERA, 1.36 WHIP). We returned the favor with a shutout of our own, taking the finale 2-0.

Puck went 7 with 6 hits, 2 walks, and 8 strikeouts. Bienvenu got one out while Londono got two outs in the 8th to each pick up holds. Laranjeira walked 1 and struck out 2 in the 9th for his 36th save.

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Zack Lawrence was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Omar Atillio was 2-for-3 with a double and walk. Salcido was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and RBI.

Three more in Detroit, with the New York Rebels coming to town. Likley the Wild Card in the AL, the Rebels are 87-66 and hold a 6.5 game lead over us. We'd face Gene Parsons (2-0, 3.55 ERA), Jimmy Headley (8-6, 4.46 ERA), and Mike Stebner (12-12, 4.58 ERA).

September 23rd, 1904: We welcomed the Rebels to town with Josh Fisher (4-13, 4.67 ERA, 1.27 WHIP) facing Gene Parsons (3-0, 3.55 ERA, 1.34 WHIP) who's making his first start of the season after 22 relief appearences. We couldn't do anything off the pitiful journeyman, and we fell 5-1...

Fisher went the distance with 6 hits, 5 runs (4 earned), 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts.

Sidenote, I'm setting a 110 pitch count limit for everyone except Ruhnke because I don't want my 25-year-old throwing 139 pitches in a useless game...

Jonathan Simmons was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Ben Etienne was 2-for-4 with a double. Jesse Chelsey was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

Philadelphia 3B Jesus Ortega launched his 300th career homer. The 33-year-old Dominican has spent his whole career in Pennsylvania with the Pilots and Freedom. He has a .294/.365/.526 line with 887 RBI's in 1,310 career games. In just his 10th year, he's hitting .268/.357/.497 with 32 homers and 106 RBI's.

Septemebr 24th, 1904: Just one more win for 81, as Jorge Montalvo (3-1, 5.83 ERA, 1.33 WHIP) would look to bounce back against Jimmy Headley (8-6, 4.46 ERA, 1.28 WHIP). We'll at least finish .500 after a nice 3-1 win.

Montalvo went just 5.2 innings with 3 hits, a run, 4 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Ben Follmar got the win, 1.1 innings with a walk and 3 strikeouts. Bienvenu and Londono paired for the hold in the 8th before Laranjeira struck out 1 in a perfect 9th.

Ben Etienne was 2-for-3 with a solo homer. Justin Arrington was 2-for-4 with a double, 2 runs, and RBI. Justin MacFarland was 2-for-3.

September 25th, 1904: We had a chance to take the finale, with D.J. Ruhnke (20-11, 4.09 ERA, 1.17 WHIP) battling Mike Stebner (12-12, 4.58 ERA, 1.30 WHIP). Tied at 4 after 9, Jesus Camargo sent the fans home happy with a pinch hit walk-off solo shot off CL George Mars.

Ruhnke was alright, 7 innings with 8 hits, 4 runs, a walk, and 11 strikeouts. Yu-wei Li picked up the win, allowing a hit in a scorless 10th.

Giobbe Capuana was 1-for-3 with a solo homer, walk, and 2 runs scored. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with a walk and solo homer. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Jonathan Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI.

A four game series with the Mustangs is up next before our last off day of the year. We'd start with a double header, with the projected two starters Hector Peralez (5-4, 5.19 ERA) and Derrick Fullerton (8-12, 4.70 ERA). The final two games are likely Alberto Lucero (9-15, 5.63 ERA) and perhaps Yeong-shin Kim (19-8, 3.11 ERA), but I'd expect them to shuffle things around a bit.

I'd likely give one of the starts tomorrow to last year's Rule-5 Pick Travis Walters or Danny Waltz, although neither has pitched in the bigs this year.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #75
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

September 26th-October 2nd

I'm going to "debut" a new format that I plan on using next season. Even though this one will just cover one week, these will generally cover 2 weeks or the entire month, haven't yet decided. I'm hoping that this "cleaner" and more formatted style will make the writeups flow better, but I'm still experimenting with the final product.

Results:
9/26: Milwaukee Mustangs (73-82) vs. Detroit Chargers (82-73)
MIL: LHP Derrick Fullerton (8-12, 4.70 ERA, 1.41 WHIP)
DET: Nate McCue (9-10, 4.81 ERA, 1.31 WHIP)

Final Score: MIL 1, DET 9
W: Nate McCue (10-10): 9 IP, 3 H, ER, BB, 5 K
L: Derrick Fulerton (8-13): 7 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
HR: MIL: John Peterson (13). DET: Nate McCue (1), Damian Salcido (24), Giobbe Capuana, 2 (53, 54), Justin Arrington 2, (34).

*Game 2 of the double header was postponed to tomorrow

9/27: Milwaukee Mustangs (73-83) vs. Detroit Chargers (83-73)
MIL: RHP Hector Peralez (5-4, 5.19 ERA, 1.50 WHIP)
DET: RHP Matt Puckett (14-9, 4.57 ERA, 1.28 WHIP)

Final Score: MIL 2, DET 5
W: Matt Puckett (15-9): 6 IP, 2 H, BB, 4 K
L: Hector Peralez (2-5): 6 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, BB, 4 K
SV: Tobias Laranjeira (38): IP, BB, 3 K
HR: MIL: Al Birkbeck (44). DET: Damian Salcido (25).

9/27: Milwaukee Mustangs (73-84) vs. Detroit Chargers (84-73)
MIL: RHP Alberto Lucero (9-15, 5.63 ERA, 1.43 WHIP)
DET: RHP Travis Walters

Final Score: MIL 4, DET 3
W: Alberto Lucero (10-15): 8 IP, 5 H, ER, BB, 2 K
L: Travis Walters (0-1): 8 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, K
SV: Steve Esparza (39): IP, 3 H, 2 ER, K
HR: MIL: Carlos Licea (29), Al Birkbeck (45). DET: Giobbe Capuana (55), Justin Arrington (35).

9/28: Milwaukee Mustangs (74-84) vs. Detroit Chargers (84-74)
MIL: RHP Yeong-shin Kim (19-8, 3.11 ERA, 1.03 WHIP)
DET: RHP Josh Fisher (4-14, 4.63 ERA, 1.25 WHIP)

Final Score: MIL 3, DET 4
W: Tobias Laranjeira (3-8): IP, 2 H
L: Mike Barbieri (2-3): IP, 2 H, ER, BB, K
HR: MIL: Juan Aguayo (25). DET: Justin Arrington (36), Ben Etienne (19)

Injury Note: Giobbe Capuana left with a strained hamstring, and will miss 5 weeks.

9/30: Chicago Cardinals (65-94) vs. Detroit Chargers (85-74)
CHI: RHP Chris van der Linden (2-1, 4.61 ERA, 1.43 WHIP)
DET: D.J. Ruhnke (20-11, 4.12 ERA, 1.17 WHIP)

Final Score: CHI 0, DET 4
W: D.J. Ruhnke (21-11): 9 IP, 6 H, BB, 10 K
L: Chris van der Linden (2-2): 6 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 6 K
HR: DET: Damian Salcido (26).

10/1: Chicago Cardinals (65-96) vs. Detroit Chargers (86-74)
CHI: Tony Downs (4-8, 4.50 ERA, 1.23 WHIP)
DET: Nate McCue (10-10, 4.62 ERA, 1.27 WHIP)

Final Score: CHI 2, DET 10
W: Nate McCue (11-10): 9 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 9 K
L: Tony Downs (4-9): 5 IP, 10 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
HR: CHI: Pete McCoy (2), Johnny Sawyer (19). DET: Jonathan Simmons (18), Jesus Camargo (14).

10/2: Chicago Cardinals (65-97) vs. Detroit Chargers (87-74)
CHI: Orlando Vigil (11-12, 4.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP)
DET: Danny Waltz

Final Score: CHI 7, DET 8
W: Jesse Padula (1-0): IP, 2 H, K
L: Rhett Wigmore (3-1): 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, K
SV: Tobias Laranjeira (39): IP, K
HR: CHI: Peter Didier (13). DET: Damian Salcido, 2 (27, 28), Omar Atillio (6).

Team Transactions:
9/27: Placed Simon Ellingson on the DL with an undisclosed injury. He'll miss the rest of the season (2 weeks). Ellingson will finish the year with a 1.64 ERA and 0.97 WHIP with 43 strikeouts in 38.1 innings.

9/28: Placed Giobbe Capuana on the DL with a strained hamstring. He'll miss the rest of the season (5 weeks). Capuana is the league leader in homers (55) and RBI's (127), with a 10 homer advantage, but just 2 RBI advantage. He was hitting .252/.351/.584 with 55 homers and 127 RBI's in his second full season as a starter. Capuana is the league leader in homers and RBI's, with a 10 homer advantage, but just 2 RBI advantage.

News:
9/26: STL LF Jesus Zamora (.450, 4 HR, 6 RBI) and PHI SS Ricardo Ortiz (458, 3 HR, 12 RBI) were Players of the Week.

9/26: BRK RP Franklin Torres out with an elbow strain for the rest of the season. In 35 appearances (19 starts) he was 11-7 with a 4.00 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and 138 strikeouts in 146.1 innings. The 23-year-old has massive potential and has ace potential. He's already pitched in 3+ big league seasons after debuting in 1901.

9/26: Power Rankings: 6. Detroit (99.2, ++): 23 GB

9/27: STL SP Matt Nesgoda tosses a 5-hit shutout in a 6-0 win over CIN.

9/27: NY SP Antonio Gonzalez tosses a 7-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over NO.

9/28: CHI SP Andy Riffle tossed a 6-hit shutout in a 4-0 win over WSH.

9/28: The New York Rebels claimed the AL Wild Card, pushing the Detroit Chargers out. New York is 89-69 and 18.5 games out of first place. They'll return to the playoffs for the first time since they won the World Series in 1901. Detroit was 84-74 and 23.5 games out of first. Last year was the first year in their history they made the postseason.

9/30: DET SP D.J. Ruhnke tossed a 6-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts in a 4-0 win over CHI.

9/30: PHI SP Alpo Vaarakallio tossed a 5-hit shutout in a 2-0 win over BUF.

10/1: CLE SP Leo Dethridge will miss the rest of the season (8 months) with a torn labrum. He was 6-4 with a 4.41 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 28 games (18 starts).

10/1: CIN 2B Carlos Ruiz (.380, 13 HR, 28 RBI's) and PIT 1B David Carbajal (.322, 13 HR, 31 RBI's) were Batters of the Month.

10/1: STL SP Ron Howard (4-1, 1.53 ERA, 54 K's) and PIT SP Bryce Kelly (4-1, 1.65 ERA, 26 K's) were Pitchers of the Month.

10/1: CIN CF Franklin Morales (.373, 4 HR, 18 RBI's) and PHI 1B Gabe Solis (.340, 6 HR, 19 RBI's) were Rookie's of the Month.

10/1: The Brooklyn Bearcats clinched the Wild Card in the NL. At 94-66 they have a 3 game lead over Pittsburgh (91-69) for the final playoff spot. This is their second straight postseason appearance, and they will search for their 5th title in 10 attempts.

Recap: Well, even though these games don't really matter, it's nice to finish the season with 6-1 to finish just 3 games behind the Rebels, albeit 23 behind the Lightning. The future looks bright, as guys like Simmons and Montalvo can only go up and we're really not losing anyone important in Free Agency.

Looking to the playoffs, the St. Louis Lightning (111-51) will host the New York Rebels (91-71) in the NLCS. The ALCS has the Philadelphia Freedom (107-55) hosting the Brooklyn Bearcats (95-67), a rematch of last year's matchup. My "expert" prediction has the Lightning winning in 5 and the Freedom in 6. I'm hoping the Lightning win this series, my guess it'll go to 7.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 05-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #76
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Playoffs

Quick note before the playoffs, Lightning ace Bobby Brosius won the Pitching Triple Crown, going 21-6 with a 2.28 ERA and 328 strikeouts!

No surprise in the AL, as the Lightning handeled the Rebels 4-2. The surprise came in the NL, where the defending champion Philadelphia Freedom were upset 4-2 by the Brooklyn Bearcats.

The World series came to even more of a shock, as Brooklyn dominated, taking a 3-0 lead and then eventually winning 4-1. It was their 5th Championship, as they've won in 1877, 1894, 1896, and 1898 as well.

Well, on to the offseason!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #77
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Awards, Arbitration, and Pre-Free Agent Filing!

Starting the offseason with options, as Andy Palme rejected his player option, I executed Simon Ellingson's team option, and then voided Eric Thomas' team option.

My Bench Coach Jesse Sanchez retired, and I'd have to search for a replacement.

Newark fired both GM Roy Mousley and Manager Jason Romero. Mousley was in his first year, and he went 63-99. Romero has been with the team since they were founded in 1900, tallying a 326-484 career record. His best year was the first, where they went 75-87.

Both Thomas and Seth Bland are Type-B Free Agency who I expect to file.

Here's my arbitration eligible guys:
SP D.J. Ruhnke (6-years, $15,244)
SS Damian Salcido (1-year, $1,000)
LF Jesse Chelsey (1-year, $1,000)
LF Jorge Rancier (1-year, $1,050)
CF Zack Lawrence (1-year, $990)

Team Transactions:
10/29: I signed Matthew Tupa to be my new Bench Coach. A legendary coach from Cuba with the Santiago Saints, he has a career 846-555 record with 8 playoff appearances, 6 championships, and 6 Manager of the Year Awards. He's a former player, drafted by Brooklyn 10th Overall in 1872. He spent his whole big league career with them, hitting .260/.332/.432 with 119 homers and 482 RBI's.

Awards:
AL Gold Glove: WSH P Tim Allday; NO C Richard Trawick; NO 1B Kab-shik Min; CIN 2B Carlos Ruiz; DET 3B Ben Etienne; DET SS Damian Salcido; NY LF Adam Markley; WSH CF Danny Dala; NY RF Armando Chavez
NL Gold Glove: BOS P Preston Hildenbrand; BUF C Ben Rook; BUF 1B Amilcar Minau; BUF 2B John McKenzie; BOS 3B Melvin Lazo; NEW SS Raul Salinas; PHI LF Jim Moran; BAL CF Jonathan Nagy; BRK RF Marty Webb

AL Reliever of the Year: STL CL Jessie Wilson (7/16, 48)
NL Reliever of the Year: PHI CL Tristen Wood (16/16, 80)

AL Platinum Stick Winners: STL P Matt Nesgoda; STL C Roy Brand; DET 1B Giobbe Capuana; CIN 2B Carlos Ruiz; DET 3B Ben Etienne; WSH SS Manuel Contreas; NY LF Adam Markley; NY CF Robun Fujimoto; STL RF Julio Montes
NL Platinum Stick Winners: BRK P Jason Campbell; BRK C Felipe Navarro; PIT 1B David Carbajal; PHI 2B John Jones; BRK 3B Juan Ozuna; BRK SS Matt Strong; PIT LF Nick Hemann; PHI CF Jon Alvarado; PHI RF Ben Donaldson

AL Rookie of the Year: NY CF Robun Fujimoto (16/16, 80)
NL Rookie of the Year: PHI 1B Gabe Solis (16/16)

AL Manager of the Year: NY Joey D'Andrea
NL Manager of the Year: BRK Tyler Stone

AL Jeff Russell Pitcher of the Year: STL SP Bobby Brosius (16/16, 112)
NL Jeff Russell Pitcher of the Year: PHI SP Josh Foster (16/16, 112)

AL Most Valuable Player: STL SP Bobby Brosius (15/16, 219)
NL Most Valuable Player: PHI SP Josh Foster (10/16, 181)

League Transactions:
10/28: New Orleans sends RHP Bill Rivera to Newark for 3B Jim Bowling.

Rivera, 25, was 4-12 with a 4.70 ERA and 1.58 WHIP in 25 starts for the Cajuns this year. He's not the most special pitcher out there, but he's a decent guy at the back of the rotation. The former 5th Round Pick owns a career 4.80 ERA and 1.51 WHIP with 216 strikeouts in 47 starts.

Bowling, 26, was a 3rd Round Pick out of LSU in 1899. He looks more like a backup then a starter, and spent most of the season off the bench. In 81 games he hit .295/.398/.410 with 3 homers and 16 RBI's in 139 at bats. He's a great fielder with good plate discipline, but he's not much of a threat on the bases or with extra base hits.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #78
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Pt. 1

A little bad news to start Free Agency; while Eric Thomas declined arbitration and became a Type B Free Agent, Seth Bland accepted it, and now I'm stuck with him...

OSA's Top 10:
2B Matt Reichel
1B Jose Molina
1B Roy Luska
SP Eric Thomas
2B Ted Olson
SP Alpo Vaarakallio
LF Ramiro Jimenez
CF Danny Boekhout
RF Ricardo Robledo
SS Raul Salinas

I generally don't anticipate a busy free agency, but we could use a SP, 2B, and CF. None are pressing needs, but I'll be on the lookout for an upgrade. To make things better, the only three free agents I really wanted wouldn't sign with me...

Hall of Fame Ballot:
1. SP Jonathan Brodgen (5th, 64.7%)
2. SS Alex Gaddi (1st)
3. RF Penn Myers (3rd, 66.1%)

It's not the best class, but I think both Brogden and Myers will push over the 70%, maybe reaching 75.

Team Transactions
11/26: Things were moving too slow on the offseason front for my liking, so I decided to make a big and bold deal with the Rebels, who decided they were rebuilding.

Detroit sends RHP Jorge Montalvo, LHP Tobias Laranjeira, RHP Ben Dobson, CF Justin MacFarland, and RF Alex Nagel to New York for LHP Kevin Miller, CF Adam Markley, and RHP George Mars.

Yeah, it's a big one!

Let's start with what I gave up:

Montalvo, 23, is the #10 (and likely rising) prospect in the entire league, and just oozes with potential, rated a 2/4.5*. I love him, and it's tough to let him go, but his ratings are a little worrying. As a 100/32/49, he's really unbalanced with his ratings. He throws 96-98 with an elite change, plus-plus fastball, plus sinker, and perfect 100 rated curve. He's a flyball pitcher, he's done well at limiting homers in the past. This year in Class A Grand Rapids he was 16-7 with a 2.59 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 270 strikeouts in 27 starts. He was roughed up a bit in a cup of coffee in the majors, but the future currently looks bright for the youngster from the D.R.

Laranjeira, 34, was basically straight up swapped for Mars. The lefty is fragile, which I don't like, but easily the best relief pitcher in all of baseball. A 5* with elite stuff, plus-plus movement, and plus control, he's an extreme groundballer who consistently sits in the 95-97 range with an elite sinker and cut. He can give you multiple innings out of the pen, and has 209 career saves with a 2.87 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 681 strikeouts in 582.2 innings. He finished this year 3-8 with a 2.98 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 63 strikeouts, and 39 saves in 60.1 innings.

Dobson, 24, is the worst player swapped, but he's still a future #2 or #3 that I would've needed to protect from the Rule-5 Draft. Selected 19th Overall out of USF by Newark in 1901, he came over in May in the Zack Lawrence deal. He's got three really good pitches, a plus fastball, elite curve, and plus-plus change. He sits in the 90-92 range, but still boasts plus-plus stuff with average movement and control. He's almost 25, but was lockdown in 25 starts with Class B St. Joseph, going 13-7 with a 3.21 ERA and 148 strikeouts.

MacFarland, 24, burst on to the scene this year by demolishing the ball in St. Joseph. He's nearly fully developed, boasting plus contact and plus-plus gap power while not striking out too much. He's got blinding speed on the bases and is rated an 100 at both center and right and with more experience, left as well. A durable lefty hitter who was a 2nd round selection by New Orleans in 1900, MacFarland could be an All-Star for years to come.

Nagel, 24, is the last guy I shipped out. The 16th Overall Pick out of Bloomingdale High School in Valrico, Florida, Nagel made his big league debut this year, hitting 4 homers and driving in 8 in just 36 at bats while hitting .222/.282/.556 (105 OPS+). With the corners occupied by Arrington and Simmons, Nagel didn't really have a spot on the team. He's nearly full developed and is an every day player at either corner where he gives you plus defense. He's known for his bat, with plus-plus contact and power and he's an amazing extra base hitter.

On to our haul:

Miller, 27, is the real prize. Despite a huge injury last season, Miller is still one of the best pitchers in the league, and he bounced back to finish this year 15-8 with a 3.40 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, and 197 strikeouts in 29 starts. In his 4 year career, he's 42-19 with a 2.96 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, and 591 strikeouts in 91 games (83 starts). Detroit actually took him in the 3rd Round in 1896, but he declined to sign and instead attend USC. As a junior, the Rebels took him 5th overall, and he's been everything they could've imagine. He's got 100 stamina, throws 97-99, and keeps the ball on the ground. He's got elite stuff with plus-plus movement and control. His 4 pitch arsenal contains an elite fastball and change with a plus-plus curve and splitter. He's even better then Ruhnke, and gives us a 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation that only St. Louis can match (Philly is close).

Markey, also 27, played left for the Rebels, but he'll man center for us. An impending free agent, the "Sheriff" was the 2nd Overal Pick in 1895 by New York. In 5+ seasons, he's hit .284/.369/.501 with 136 homers, 97 steals, and 377 RBI's. He's coming off an amazing year where he lead the league in WAR (7.4), slugging (.612), and OPS (1.018). He hit .318 with 12 steals, 37 homers, and 99 RBI's. He's a solid defender in center, but elite in left where he won the Gold Glove this year. He's got great speed, plus-plus contact, plus-plus eye, and the rest of his tools are plus as well. I'm hoping I can convince him to stay.

Mars, 32, is the last piece, a right handed closer who recently inked a three year extension. He was selected 4th overall as a senior from Long Beach State by the Rebels in 1894, the same year he debuted for them. In 650.1 career innings, he has a 2.92 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, and 778 strikeouts. He's durable, and perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best closer in the league, boasting perfect stuff, plus movement, and elite control. He's a sidearmer who slings it in the triple digits, mixing an elite fastball and hard slider. This year he was 7-11 with a 3.27 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 91 strikeouts with 35 saves in 71.2 innings.

Yep, that's a lot! Time to just chill...

League Transactions
11/18: Philadelphia acquired C Ben Rook from Buffalo for C Justin Rufo and RF Howie Gainer.

Rook, 30, is a solid catcher coming off an impressive .270/.323/.460 year with 22 homers and 77 RBI's. In his career with Cincy and Buffalo, he's a .272/.326/.416 hitter with 103 homers and 452 RBI's. A former 3rd Round Pick by the Red Hawks in 1893, he'll be a free agent about a year from now.

Rufo, 20, was Philly's 2nd Round Pick last year. He's a decent and improving defender behind the plate. Not the best all-around hitter, but he's got extra base pop and a decent eye. He split the season with three teams in the Freedom organization, and was actually the best in a quick Class C trip where he hit .300/.396/.425 in 40 at bats.

Gainer, 24, is a pretty solid outfield prospect who Buffalo made sure to protect from the Rule-5 Draft. A 4th Rounder in 1901, Gainer is a 1.5/3* who's basically filled out at the plate. He's got average or better tools with plus-plus power, plus contact, and plus gap power. He's a plus defender with a cannon.

11/22: Cleveland acquired C Pat Glynn and 2B Justin Gaddis from Newark for 1B Nick Wade.

Glynn, 27, finished off a partial rookie season, slashing .306/.352/.456 with 7 homers and 21 RBI's in 58 games. A former 19th Round Pick by the Cyclones, they released him after the 1902 season before he hooked on with Newark. He doesn't really stick out, but he's a backup catcher with options.

Gaddis, 23, was a 3rd Round selection out of Orgeon State by Philadelphia last year. This is his second time being traded this year, as he came to Newark in July in the Francisco Garcia deal. Gaddis' upside is probably fringe starter/utility man, but he's a solid defender with good speed. He doesn't hit much, but he has his value.

Wade, 26, is a weird first basemen. He's got plus-plus contact, but with slightly below average power. He rarely strikeouts and has a decent eye. A 4th Rounder out of Houston by the Cyclones in 1899, Wade has hit at every level, with an OPS+ over 100 at every stop of more then 20 games. He played mostly off the bench in Class A Ft. Wayne, but still hit .287/.393/.437 with 5 homers and 28 RBI's. He's fully developed, and could technically start at first.

11/29: Despite the selloff, the Rebels decided to bring back 1B Roy Luska on a 6-year, $21,360 deal. The 31-year-old was initially a 3rd Round Pick by Brooklyn, but he spent most of his career with the Rebels. In 1,049 career games, he's slugged .284/.360/.566 (138 OPS+) with 255 homers and 729 RBI's. This year was another solid season for the 1900 MVP, where he hit .272/.356/.552 with 44 homers and 118 RBI's. He signed right before the Winter Meetings.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #79
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Winter Meetings

Just a quick one for the Winter Meetings, I'll probably make another post later today if I don't forget:

Team Transactions
11/30: Started off big by announcing a 7-year, $4,900 per year extension with new CF Adam Markley. The last two years are team options, and Markley will be a Charger till his mid 30s.

12/1: With the Rule-5 Draft tomorrow, I added a few minor leaguers to the 40-Man roster.

First was RHP Rico Cardoza, a relief pitcher who came over at the deadline in 1902 from Cleveland with Justin Davies for LF Javier Acevedo. A former 8th Round Pick by the Rebels in 1899, Cardoza put together an amazing season with Grand Rapids, working to a 1.81 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, and 68 strikeouts in 59.2 innings out of the pen. He's got mid-to-back of the pen potential and can give you multiple innings. A durable and reliable righty, he's got plus-plus stuff, keeps the ball on the ground, and has a devastating curve. His plus-plus fastball sits in the 93-95 MPH range and he occasionally tries to fool hitters with a sub-optimal change.

Next was another acquisition from Cleveland, RF Jason Vanover who joined us in July. Another 8th Round selection, although actually by the Cyclones, we got him for Dave Pater. Vanover is a lefty who plays selite defense in right and center with elite range and a plus arm. I had him take reps in left this year as well, as I'm working on him being an indeal #4 outfielder. He's got amazing speed and is an excellent base runner with plus power. And unlike most power hitters, he does a good job of avoiding strikeotus.

I kept the Cleveland pattern going with LF/P Evan Francis who was a waiver claim in January this year. A former 5th Round selection in 1899, Francis is mainly used as an outfielder, but I feel like he's best suited as a reliever. As a hitter, he's got elite speed with elite defense in left while he's a little inexperienced in center and right. He doesn't have the best eye, but he has plus contact, power, and avoid K ability. On the mound, he has elite stuff and sits consistently in the triple digits. His lack of a quality third pitch plays him best in the pen, but he could be a late inning guy with more work. He has an elite fastball and slider with average movement and control.

This left one spot and two players worth protecting, CF Jordan Garza and RF Mike Heinemann. Instead of trying to decide between them, I decided to ship them off to Buffalo for former #1 Overall Pick Steve Hall.

Hall, 24, is a third basemen who inked a 4-year deal when he was drafted in 1902 out of Florida Atlantic. He's in the last year, making $977, but I got 55% of it retained. He's out of options, which sucks, but he's got a ton of upside, rated a 1.5/3.5*. He's an excellent defender, with plus range, elite error and arm, and plus-plus double play ability. He's elite at third and plus at short, and with experience, likely plus-plus at second. At the plate, he's got plus-plus contact and elite gap power, although he doesn't have the speed to always leg out the gappers. His home run power hasn't really developed yet, and he doesn't really have the best plate discipline. In just 77 big league at bats, he's hitting .221/.268/.351 with a homer and 7 RBI's.

The 40 was now full, but if I saw a guy I'd like in the draft, I'd easily DFA someone like Cody Hall or Danny Sanchez to make room.

12/2: I didn't take anyone in the Rule-5 draft, but lost David Gonzalez to Philly. He's a 32-year-old reliever who I signed to a minor league deal last offseason. His numbers at Grand Rapids were insane, working to a 0.93 ERA and 0.79 WHIP with 71 strikeouts and 44 saves in 68 innings, but I have no interest in protecting an aging reliever that didn't really do much in the bigs.

League Transactions
11/30: Cincinnati signed former #1 overall pick Alpo Vaarakallio to a 6-year, $2,860 per year deal with the final season a 180 innings pitched vesting option. It's a risky deal, adding an injury prone, albeit still talented, starting pitcher with a spotty track record. He finished off one of the best seasons of his career in Philly this year, going 12-4 with a 3.42 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 128 strukeouts in 23 starts. In total, the 31-year-old is 95-97 with a 4.91 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, and 1,150 strikeouts in 265 games (248 starts). With his stuff already starting to decline, my guess is this deal could turn into a Cody Hall contract real fast, although at least Hall didn't sign for 6 seasons...

12/1: Philadelphia brought back LF Jim Moran on a 2-year, $2,600 per year contract. This is his second straight 2-year free agent deal with the Freedom. The 31-year-old hit just .245/.313/.504 (103 OPS+) which is much lower then his career .271/.341/.536 (116 OPS+) line. He did launch 34 homers and drive in 99 RBI's in just over 500 at bats, including his 300th career homer. It's a smart deal to bring back the durable leftfielder, who I considered signing and moving to center.

12/3: It was an uneventful Winter Meetings, but they did end with a pair of trades:

Cleveland acquired LHP Steve Esparza and RF Devin McDowell from Milwaukee for 2B Tyrese Rollins.

Esparaza, 31, was essentially "dumped" on the Cyclones as the Mustangs didn't want to pay him the $1,340 he was making this year. The lefty worked as the closer last year, saving 39 games despite a 1-8 record, 4.19 ERA, and 1.41 WHIP with 73 strikeouts in 68.2 innings. He hasn't had too much success, although an impressive 1901 with St. Louis saw him work to a 1.91 ERA and 0.88 WHIP with 43 punchouts in just 28.1 innings. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season.

McDowell, 20, seems like just a throw in. He was actually a 5th Round Pick out of Cardin HS in Baltimore by us, before I sent him and Juan Vela to Milwaukee exactly one year ago for Jesse Padula. He's a bat first corner outfielder who can play a little shortstop, although his bat really isn't that great either. He's got good foot speed and range, but he won't be a threat on the bases. I expect him to be traded a year from now again!

Rollins, 23, is all Milwaukee gets. A 4th Round Pick by the Cyclones back in 1900, Rollins reached Class C ball for the first time this year, hitting .258/.320/.404 with 14 homers and 54 RBI's while striking out 109 times in 116 games. He's played more short then second, but he's better suited for second. His full sprint is more like a power walk when you're late for class, but don't really care. He's not much of a hitter either, but he's more here to get something back.

The second trade was the Lightning bolstering their pen, acquiring RHP Mike Marchini and LHP Rich Sugg from Cincy for C Bill Puche.

Marchini, 34, is a talented Iron Man who was a mainstay in the Cajuns pen from 1892-1898, but has bounced around a bunch since then. In '99 he was in St. Louis, then Newark and Pittsburgh in 1900, back to St. Louis in 1901, Boston for two years, and then Cincy last year. This will be his third stint with the Lightning for the former 2nd Round selection by the Cajuns. He's worked to a 3.57 ERA and 1.29 WHIP in 686.1 UBL innings with 714 strikeouts and 99 saves. He had a solid run with the Red Hawks as a late inning setup man, going 3-5 with a 2.14 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 63 strikeouts in 59 innings. He's somehow making less then Esparaza and is much better, making this deal very surprising.

Sugg, 22, also went to St. Louis, although he's not an exciting prospect. He looks like a swingman, and the lefty was a 9th Round pick in 1900 by the Red Hawks. He's got interesting stuff, throwing a plus fastball, average cut, elite change, and a sub-optimal curve. He can eat innings, keep the ball on the ground, and throw in the low 90s.

Puche, 29, must be liked by the Red Hawks more then my scout. A fringe starter, the former 6th Overall Pick by Cleveland has been used sparingly by the Lightning, hitting just .202/.329/.316 (67 OPS+...) with 6 homers and 30 RBI's in 272 at bats scattered in five seasons. He is an elite defender, possibly the best in the UBL, but he doesn't do anything at the plate except the occasionally walk and surprise home run. He's no better then Omar Atilio, my backup, who's definitely not worth an All-Star reliever.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #80
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Pt. 2

Team Transactions:

None...

Sent a few free agent offers, but nothing really happened...

League Transactions:

12/12: Buffalo signed 1B Jose Molina to a 2-year, $7,860 contract. The 1897 Rookie of the Year spent his whole career with Baltimore, who signed him out of Chile in 1892 for just $192. It was an excellent investment, as from 1897-1904 he hit .287/.362/.575 with 334 homers and 867 RBI's in 1,231 games. A big slugger, the lefty pounded 54 homers his rookie year and lead the NL with 46 last season and has hit 30 or more in every season. He also rarely gets hurt, with just a stomach virus, allergic reaction, migraine, and gout in his injury history. Buffalo may not be any good, but "Mongo" is an excellent addition.

12/13: Boston signed SS Raul Salinas to a 5-year, $16,280 deal with the final season a player option. Salinas returns to the organization that gave him just $48 in 1891 to sign out of the Dominican Republic. He spent last season with Newark, but the rest of his career has been spent with the Patriots. A career .268/.318/.415 hitter with 89 homers, 144 steals, and 442 RBI's, the three time gold glover is a great, albeit risky with his injury, addition to a relatively weak defensive team. He's coming off the best season of his career, where he hit .295/.339/.441 with 13 homers, 25 steals, and 55 RBI's in 528 at bats.

12/19: Brooklyn acquired RHP Mike Reynolds from New Orleans for LHP Matt Young.

Reynolds, 28, will be a free agent at the end of the 1905 season, and spent his first year as a closer last season, saving 26 games in 63.1 innings with a 4.12 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, and 72 strikeouts. A former 7th Round Pick by the Cajuns in 1895, he was actually traded to Chicago back in 1899, where he debuted with the then Panthers. He bounced around, playing with Milwaukee before returning to New Orleans. In 184.1 innings, he has a 4.54 ERA and 1.59 WHIP with 199 strikeouts. He may not be closer material, but the groundballer has elite stuff and is a dependable option out of the pen.

Young, 21, was Brooklyn's 2nd Round Pick out of St. John's this year. Interesting enough, New Orleans took him in the 11th Round in 1901, but he instead decided to honor his commitment to St. John's. My scout isn't the biggest fan, but he is a fan of his four plus pitches, a fastball, curve, change, and splitter. He's probably going to end up a spot starter at best, but there's always upside in durable left handed pitching.

12/20: They've been trying to trade him for a while, and Washington finally unloaded RHP Justin Pezzetti and LHP Jeremy Lowe to the Red Hawks for LF Jaylin Campbell.

Pezzetti, 30, will join his 5th organization in three years. A former 2nd Round Pick by the Lightning, Pezzetti lead the AL with 40 saves, despite a 2-12 record, 4.80 ERA, and 1.72 WHIP with just 69 strikeouts in 75 innings. Formerly a two-way starter with the Lightning, Pezzetti has officially converted to a reliever. In 453 big league innings, he owns a 4.47 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, and 366 strikeouts with 53 saves. He's filled with talent, but really hasn't been able to establish himself in the big leagues.

Lowe, 20, is an intriguing relief pitching prospect. The lefty can give you multiple innings, keep the ball on the ground, and hit you with a plus-plus mid 90s fastball and then shock you with a devastating curve. A 2nd Round Pick last year, Lowe could be a dependable middle inning reliever you can trust if your started gets knocked out or if your pen is tired.

Campbell, almost 36, has had a really weird career in the UBL dating back to 1895. He's played a little bit in each season except 1900 and 1902 before finally getting every day playing time with the Red Hawks this season. In 126 games, he hit .272/.349/.440 with 12 homers and 47 RBI's. A former 3rd Round Pick by Philly out of UCLA, he only eclipsed the 100 at bat mark twice (including exactly 100 in 1901 with Cleveland) and doesn't really spark much excitement. He's an average starter in either outfield corner with solid gap power and plate discipline. What's most interesting about him, is that even though he has barely 3 seasons of pro service, he's not eligible for arbitration, and will be a free agent at the end of the year.

12/27: A pair of signings today, starting with Cleveland bringing back 40-year-old righty Travis Adams on a 1-year, $2,580 deal. Despite a torn rotator cuff that ended his season early July, he's completely healthy and didn't even take a hit to his ratings. Still an effective starter, Adams was 6-2 with a 3.73 ERA and 1.38 WHIP in 12 starts for the Cyclones. Just 3 wins away from 250, Adams has a career 3.83 ERA and 1.29 WHIP with 3,079 strikeouts in 571 games (559 starts). He sits 5th All-Time in Career Wins, just 3 behind the retired Sam Erb and 5 behind Philly's David Plaster. He likely won't break Jeff Russell's record 320, but Kha'n Hung's second place record of 278 could be reached if Adams can pitch and stay healthy for a few more seasons. An awful 1899 with Brooklyn really hurt his record chase, as he went 5-20 with a 5.46 ERA and 1.42 WHIP.

Second was New York adding LF Ramiro Jimenez on a 4-year, $12,860 deal. A former 1st Round Pick by the Red Hawks out of Mississippi State in 1897, the San Juan native made his name in St. Louis after being claimed off waivers from Cincy in 1899. He's a career .277/.344/.484 hitter with 101 homers, 116 steals, and 354 RBI's. He even has 48 triples, and lead the league in 1901, 1902, and 1904. He's no Adam Markey, but the 29-year-old speedster is still a solid replacement. The "rebuilding" Rebels still have a solid offense, but absolutely no pitching left over.

12/30: The Chicago Cardinals signed LHP Sal Lopez to a 5-year, $3,320 per year deal. The 30-year-old starter is coming off a decent year with Baltimore where he was 11-17 with a 4.08 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, and 216 strikeouts in 36 starts. A longtime Cyclone, he owns a career 111-92 record with a 4.07 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, and 1,529 strikeouts and has started 32 or more games every season except his quick cup of coffee in 1896 with Cleveland where he pitched just 8 innings out of the pen. A dependable starter, I wanted to sign him, but he didn't like our manager... Although instead I got a better, younger, and cheaper starter, so I can't complain too much.