Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #1
tosha033
Bat Boy

Play-off difficulties

Three years in a row I won the regular season with a huge advantage on the other teams. In the same style, I easily passed the first round of the play offs (3 times 4-0). But the second round become to me an insurmountable barrier - two times Carolina (0-4,1-4), one time Pittsburgh (0-4), despite on strongest squad without injuries and unhappy players. The tactics that brought success during the season is fully unsustainable in the second round.
Is it engine bugs or am I doing something wrong?
What do you think and what you reccomend?

p.s. I play for Flyers
tosha033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Maybe you need to play a little bit more conservatively, or give your top lines a few minutes more. It's hard to think that a team can win the playoffs playing the same way as the regular season frankly
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Just look at recent years how far the league leaders went into the Playoffs. Over 82 games the better teams will most likely end up high in the standings but in the PO's with short series everything can happen.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
tosha033
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Maybe you need to play a little bit more conservatively, or give your top lines a few minutes more. It's hard to think that a team can win the playoffs playing the same way as the regular season frankly
I prefer attractive attacking tactics)
But will try to be more pragmatic in new season
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
tarashnat
Major Leagues

Also, how well did you do against the teams that beat you in the play-offs in the regular season? Did they have winning records against you? Those teams may just be better matched up against your team/style of play.
tarashnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
tosha033
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarashnat View Post
Also, how well did you do against the teams that beat you in the play-offs in the regular season? Did they have winning records against you? Those teams may just be better matched up against your team/style of play.
No, I had no any problems against them in the regular season - they become uncomfortable opponent for me only in the second round of the play offs.

Moreover, in the second season in the first round I did not get any problems from Pittsburgh, but in the second round Carolina does not give me any chance
I do not understand how the success of my tactics can so dramatically change
Old 11-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I had the opposite occur with my fictional mode team come playoffs. We struggled at times during the season, other times did great, finished average in 5th place in the conference. First two rounds of the playoffs we dominated, allowing 2 or fewer goals every game and losing only once in OT. 3rd round got a big 3-1 lead in the series, got pushed to a game 7 and came away with a thriller of a victory, and then won the championship in 6 games.

Oddly enough only time I changed tactics at all was during the playoffs, and it seemed to help, along with mixing up the lineup every game or two so everybody would find a chance to play and contribute. To me just seems like a lot of it can be random chance, but maybe it's a matter of the tactics you use or lineups you put each game like others suggested.
Lord PichuPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Are you the Blues? Because if you are then 3 years is just the beginning of this circus you joined.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #9
tosha033
Bat Boy

We did it - Flyers won plaoffs in 2019!

Last edited by tosha033; 11-24-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
tosha033
Bat Boy

I slightly changed my regular tactics for playoffs, I guess key success factors are:
1. I provided much more icetime to my first line (25-26 min). Only they can make high risk actions.
2. Other lines played very conservatively and cautiously.
3. Regular goalies rotation (2 games - starting goalie, 1 game - backup).
4. Regular minor changes to starting lines - rotation between 2-4 lines and reserve players.

Last edited by tosha033; 11-24-2015 at 02:00 AM.