Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Where did the option to remove coach/scout ratings go?

I understand the system has been revamped, but this is one of the things I have done over the past few years to make the game harder, turning the scouts and coaches ratings off.

I hope we can get this back in the future. Knowing my scout's exact abilities allows me to trust far too much information...
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
RamMan12
Major Leagues

You can't see the ratings anymore unless you go into the editor. That's why there is no option, they are always off. Only reputation is visible, and that has little if nothing to do with ratings.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
You can't see the ratings anymore unless you go into the editor. That's why there is no option, they are always off. Only reputation is visible, and that has little if nothing to do with ratings.
For coaches, this is absolutely correct.

For scouts, it is not.

I won't say it's a dealbreaker, but I hate losing features or options that were there in previous versions.

Knowing the true ability of your scout makes the game a lot easier, especially for long time veterans of the series.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
For coaches, this is absolutely correct.

For scouts, it is not.

I won't say it's a dealbreaker, but I hate losing features or options that were there in previous versions.

Knowing the true ability of your scout makes the game a lot easier, especially for long time veterans of the series.
Yes, the option was removed, as the only ratings for coaches still visible are for scouts and trainers, where you otherwise don't actually have any other information about their actual talents.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, the option was removed, as the only ratings for coaches still visible are for scouts and trainers, where you otherwise don't actually have any other information about their actual talents.
I understand I may be in the minority here, but I hope that the ability to remove the scouts and trainers ratings could be reinstated down the road. I've been advising people looking for a more challenging experience to turn off these ratings since at least OOTP13 now.

When you know that you have a Legendary scout, you are going to be far more likely to trust that information without too much thought. When you don't know these ratings, you have to actually see which scouts have scouted well over the length of your dynasty.

It also brings up many more questions when you don't have this information. "Is my player just underperforming, or is my scout wrong?" It definitely adds an extra layer of challenge that people who need that challenge welcome.

Like I said, far from a dealbreaker -- but I definitely was a touch disappointed to see it had been removed. I understand that the new coaching ratings have no need to be shut off, but once you've played with scout ratings off for as long as I have, it definitely adds a layer of strong challenge AND immersion to the game.

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Arnold. Always nice to see how much this dev team loves their game and their community, and why so many of us come back year after year.
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
endgame
Hall Of Famer

My own , but given the marginal effect and the relative difficulty connected with attempting to measure successes without any ratings or descriptions, I'd say the better alternative is simply not to use them, in your case. ymmv Then again, I could be missing the point altogether. Not unusual when I quickly reply.

Last edited by endgame; 05-11-2015 at 01:21 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
My own , but given the marginal effect and the relative difficulty connected with attempting to measure successes without any ratings or descriptions, I'd say the better alternative is simply not to use them, in your case. ymmv Then again, I could be missing the point altogether. Not unusual when I quickly reply.
I play a lot of stats-only so the written scouting report is invaluable and playing with scouts off sets the written report to 100% accuracy...so, it really isn't an option for me.

Like I said, it's far from a dealbreaker, but I know I'm not the only one who used to play with scout rating off (along with coaches, but I love the new coaching system.)

Most of the people who thought the game was too easy changed their tune when they didn't automatically know their scout was a stud.

As long as you know where a scouting director was employed, you have a general idea of his successes and his failures and generally you are very immersed in your league with stats-only. Not saying others don't get the same immersion, but if you want to succeed in stats only you HAVE to know your league to where you know if Team 14 has had consistently crappy drafts where Team 11 always seems to hit the jackpot, or wind up with several late-round gems.

In life, we have no idea if a scout is doing a good job till 3-7 years down the line... with scout ratings, you've got a good idea right off rip.

Honestly, I will probably just take the time to edit the scouts in my league to where scouts all have the same abilities (thus no advantages) and scouting is wholly dependent on the budget and the scouting accuracy setting.

But just last year, it was one setting and away you go.