Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

First time for everything........

I had the bases loaded and no outs. GB to the third baseman, stepped on bag, fired to 2nd, but he relay to first was late, so the PBP said not quite fast enough for a Triple Play. I've been playing since v4, and I've never witnessed the game try for a triple play in that situation. Nice addition.

HOWEVER: I did just notice the runner didn't score, he stayed on third. Not sure I'd say that should happen.

Last edited by akw4572; 04-23-2014 at 06:52 PM.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akw4572 View Post
HOWEVER: I did just notice the runner didn't score, he stayed on third. Not sure I'd say that should happen.
Well, wait a minute. When the 3B stepped on his base, he was forcing the runner coming from second. His throw to second nipped the guy coming from first. Two outs, batter safe at first. In the meantime, you said the bases were loaded so there was a runner on third. Maybe he got hung up midway and was "looked" back to third by the 2B before he threw to first? What does the PbP say (if you had it set for full detail)?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Well, wait a minute. When the 3B stepped on his base, he was forcing the runner coming from second. His throw to second nipped the guy coming from first. Two outs, batter safe at first. In the meantime, you said the bases were loaded so there was a runner on third. Maybe he got hung up midway and was "looked" back to third by the 2B before he threw to first? What does the PbP say (if you had it set for full detail)?
There was no mention of it. I assumed I scored, and didn't notice until after I posted.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There was no mention of it. I assumed I scored, and didn't notice until after I posted.
Well, I assume something like that happened. I've never seen it myself but that's also due to the fact that I play with instant, short PbP rather than the long version. Anything in the game log?

- Bru

Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had the bases loaded and no outs. GB to the third baseman, stepped on bag, fired to 2nd, but he relay to first was late, so the PBP said not quite fast enough for a Triple Play. I've been playing since v4, and I've never witnessed the game try for a triple play in that situation. Nice addition.

Go ahead and post this in the bug report thread. Markus can fix it if he deems it a problem. (And I do think it's a problem.) Thanks.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
This seems pretty incredible for a bases loaded situation. The runner at 3B wouldn't have been watching the play, he would have been breaking for home on contact at the same time all of the other runners would have been going.

This reminds me of the "1st and 3rd, nobody out, GIDP doesn't score the runner" issue that crops up from time to time. I've never seen that happen watching a real game, I can't even imagine a bases loaded situation not leading to the run scoring, unless the first out was at home plate.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Cryo, thanks for my 1,000th thanks. I value those more than my post count.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I assume something like that happened. I've never seen it myself but that's also due to the fact that I play with instant, short PbP rather than the long version. Anything in the game log?
No mention of it in the log either. Just a 5-4 DP. No mention of runner on 3b.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cryo, thanks for my 1,000th thanks. I value those more than my post count.
No problem. As you can see from my profile, I've given nearly 10,000 over the years.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

No run scores because hitter never got to first base safely
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

But he DID get to first base safely.

I had an actual triple play once.

I recently had the most exciting thing I have seen... an inside-the-park GRAND SLAM homer... by a pitcher.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
I recently had the most exciting thing I have seen... an inside-the-park GRAND SLAM homer... by a pitcher.
That would be interesting to see in real life lol

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
That would be interesting to see in real life lol
Joaquin Andujar did it last in 1979. Mel Stottlemyre hit an ITP slam in 1965.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

I managed a triple play in one of the last v14 games I played. 5-4-3. Was a nice cap to a great game. Both the one played and ootp14 in general.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have never seen a triple play that resulted in a run scored with bases loaded in real life or on OOTP. I would love to see and learn if there is a way to score on a triple play.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
ludosc
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
I have never seen a triple play that resulted in a run scored with bases loaded in real life or on OOTP. I would love to see and learn if there is a way to score on a triple play.
there are plenty of ways to score on a triple play. As long as the run scores before the final out is recorded and the final out isn't a force, it's all good.

EX.

bases loaded nobody out

ball gets hit to CF and is caught by the CF (OUT 1). Runners on 3rd & 2nd try to tag up and the CF throws home trying to get the runner. Throw misses the cutoff man and the runner at 1st takes off for 2nd. Catcher throws to 2B nailing the runner (OUT 2). When the catcher threw to 2nd the runner moving to 3rd takes off for home and is thrown out (OUT 3). The original guy at 3B scores.

Now ill admit it does take some horrid baserunning but it's not impossible.
ludosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

The runner not scoring on the non-triple play actually isn't that odd.

Simply, the runner got hung up on the hit. If there is less than two outs and the runner is a conservative base runner he may not be breaking on the hit so he doesn't get hung up on a line drive.

In this case if it was a low liner near baseline the runner may have held to make sure it wasn't caught on the fly (in fact he may have even taken a step back towards the bag --- there's nothing worse than a DP-5). The 3rd basemen even may have thought he caught it on the fly and his instinct was force the runner off third and then get the runner off 2nd.

Basically trying for a 5-4 triple play (more common than 5-4-3 i believe) but the ball hopped before he caught it.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

My thoughts exactly
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
It happened in this game: Seattle Mariners vs. Minnesota Twins - Box Score - May 27, 2006 - ESPN
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:

Just to be clear here, we're talking about a bases loaded situation, with a GIDP, not a triple play, with the runner not scoring from third. I think that's a problem, I wasn't discussing an actual triple play not scoring a run as a problem at all.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote