Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Where are the baseball cards?

I am in my third season of my fictional league and I've noticed a message pop-up around the All-Star game that says 'Generating baseball cards'. I can't find where these are in the game or in my base folder. I tried looking at the FAQs with the search function but to no avail. Of course, the FAQ within the game is buggy so I can't read anything either.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

They are stored in your images folder in your league folder. Should be a folder there called "baseballcards". You can also view them by selecting a player and then there is an option bottom right to view any cards generated for the player.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Ah, much thanks. I feel like an idiot because I don't know how many times I've gone through that 'Picture' menu to change their horrible mustaches to something else.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

I'm hoping -- fingers crossed -- that Markus, or someone helping him, puts some work into this baseball card feature. I can't be alone in wishing that a virtual baseball card album (maybe the ability to trade cards?) was a highlight of this game. If Team Markus is never going to add graphical animations to this game, then he could bring A LOT of life to it with the baseball cards.
thevaliantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx View Post
I'm hoping -- fingers crossed -- that Markus, or someone helping him, puts some work into this baseball card feature. I can't be alone in wishing that a virtual baseball card album (maybe the ability to trade cards?) was a highlight of this game. If Team Markus is never going to add graphical animations to this game, then he could bring A LOT of life to it with the baseball cards.
I agree. Makus wanted to do more this version, however since Andreas handles it, other higher priority items for him took preference and there just wasn't enough time to do so. I and fhomess did the default designs for the game since ootp12 and appreciate any and all support from the community on what additional bbcard features you'd like to see.
Currently we've done all we can with the limits the feature has so one may want to monitor the Mods forum for anything different.
Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

I wish we could chat privately. I have LOTS of ideas, and am not the best at conveying them in written paragraph form.

The first suggestion I have, right off the bat, is to 'break out' the baseball card feature. Right now it's wrapped up in the profile of each player. You literally have to click, click, click just to create a card. I really feel the cards need to be a separate feature of the game, but at the same highly related to what is happening in one's season(s).

The second suggestion I have, and I'll stop at this one for now, is to (somehow) add in the ability for OOTP players to trade cards with one another. Would it not be awesome -- not even talking about how incredible if internet league play included something like this -- if we really needed that bat off the bench, and OOTP had some sort of feature where you could go to this website, request a player, submit the player's URL into a screen in-game, and voila! You have that player. (but maybe at a penalty or something for not having acquired him via trade or draft in-game).

I did try playing MLB: The Show 12 a bit this spring before the game's bugs got to me (SONY really messed up that game, and no doubt lost some sales next season for it), and one feature that it had that COULD have made that game highly addicting (as if the manage-only mode wasn't addicting in season or franchise play) was the Dynasty Card feature. Basically you assembled your team with baseball cards. You'd get 'packs' of cards, and some of them could have legendary players and mostly 'common card' type players, other packs would have a number of good players. The feature was largely unfinished, but shows real promise. I think it's a GREAT way to introduce folks back in to card collecting, even if they can't actually afford to buy real-life cards.

Would it not be awesome to have your own OOTP Virtual Baseball Card Album on some sort of OOTP website (maybe a paid feature of this site?) where you could go back and look at all of your favorite players, whether those players went on to win major awards or became 'that guy off the bench' who helped you win a pennant?

EDIT: just think how awesome it would be if you went to the downloads section in OOTP and could browse through loads and loads of cards available for download, trade or purchase? What if you could, in-game, trade in a chat screen with other players who happen to be playing OOTP the same time you are?

Last edited by thevaliantx; 07-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish we could chat privately. I have LOTS of ideas, and am not the best at conveying them in written paragraph form.

The first suggestion I have, right off the bat, is to 'break out' the baseball card feature. Right now it's wrapped up in the profile of each player. You literally have to click, click, click just to create a card. I really feel the cards need to be a separate feature of the game, but at the same highly related to what is happening in one's season(s).

The second suggestion I have, and I'll stop at this one for now, is to (somehow) add in the ability for OOTP players to trade cards with one another. Would it not be awesome -- not even talking about how incredible if internet league play included something like this -- if we really needed that bat off the bench, and OOTP had some sort of feature where you could go to this website, request a player, submit the player's URL into a screen in-game, and voila! You have that player. (but maybe at a penalty or something for not having acquired him via trade or draft in-game).

I did try playing MLB: The Show 12 a bit this spring before the game's bugs got to me (SONY really messed up that game, and no doubt lost some sales next season for it), and one feature that it had that COULD have made that game highly addicting (as if the manage-only mode wasn't addicting in season or franchise play) was the Dynasty Card feature. Basically you assembled your team with baseball cards. You'd get 'packs' of cards, and some of them could have legendary players and mostly 'common card' type players, other packs would have a number of good players. The feature was largely unfinished, but shows real promise. I think it's a GREAT way to introduce folks back in to card collecting, even if they can't actually afford to buy real-life cards.

Would it not be awesome to have your own OOTP Virtual Baseball Card Album on some sort of OOTP website (maybe a paid feature of this site?) where you could go back and look at all of your favorite players, whether those players went on to win major awards or became 'that guy off the bench' who helped you win a pennant?

You only have to click once, and that's in league setup when you "enable" baseball cards. After that, they get generated automatically.

Not knocking your ideas at all, but do you really believe that OOTP players are going to start "trading" baseball cards online? I mean seriously, why would I want to trade for a baseball card from your league? What purpose would it serve me? It would have nothing to do with any baseball leagues I'm following/playing. I just don't see the value in it.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

So, you think that features should only come about if YOU like them? That's the way you sound, no offense.

As for why the ability trade baseball cards with other OOTP'ers, it's not rocket science. It would probably help someone win a few games, and there are folks, you know, who actually just enjoy looking at baseballs statistics.

Your question reminds me of folks who don't understand the game of Rotisserie Baseball. They ask questions like "why would I want to trade for your player so that I can win a few points?".

I'm not really miffed at your response, though. People throughout history have quickly shot down innovation, only to not live along to see the benefits.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, you think that features should only come about if YOU like them? That's the way you sound, no offense.
I clearly said I wasn't knocking your idea. If you don't want other peoples points of view on your ideas, then don't post them on the open forum.

Quote:
As for why the ability trade baseball cards with other OOTP'ers, it's not rocket science. It would probably help someone win a few games, and there are folks, you know, who actually just enjoy looking at baseballs statistics.

Your question reminds me of folks who don't understand the game of Rotisserie Baseball. They ask questions like "why would I want to trade for your player so that I can win a few points?".

I'm not really miffed at your response, though. People throughout history have quickly shot down innovation, only to not live along to see the benefits.
You say no offense and you make comments like that. I know nothing about Rotisserie Baseball, sorry for my ignorance and sorry you feel the need to look down your nose at people who don't know about it.

Nor am I shooting down innovation - you're just reading into it what you want to. Try reading it again, especially the part where I say "I'm not knocking your idea". And just in case you missed it earlier, "If you don't want other peoples points of view on your ideas, then don't post them on the open forum."
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I clearly said I wasn't knocking your idea. If you don't want other peoples points of view on your ideas, then don't post them on the open forum.
Hilarious. You start off with "no offense", but then quickly dismiss everything I had to say. I spent time in my post giving my suggestions as to how the baseball card feature could be made better. Rather than dismissing my ideas, why not just post your own suggestions on how to make it better? Or do you think it just shouldn't be in the game? Or do you think it should just remain out of the way, as it currently is? Really, I'm interested in your suggestions. I posted mine, your turn. Sorry, "no offense" and then not offering any suggestions does nothing to help the community.

If anyone else would like to chime in with their own ideas for the baseball card feature, I'm all ears!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hilarious. You start off with "no offense", but then quickly dismiss everything I had to say. I spent time in my post giving my suggestions as to how the baseball card feature could be made better. Rather than dismissing my ideas, why not just post your own suggestions on how to make it better? Or do you think it just shouldn't be in the game? Or do you think it should just remain out of the way, as it currently is? Really, I'm interested in your suggestions. I posted mine, your turn. Sorry, "no offense" and then not offering any suggestions does nothing to help the community.

If anyone else would like to chime in with their own ideas for the baseball card feature, I'm all ears!!!
Do you not have any comprehension skills at all? Please enlighten me as to where I started off with "no offense" and where I "dismissed" your thoughts.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, against adding things to the game.

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this baseball card trading thing, so I ask questions because it's totally confusing to me as to how it would work between different leagues. You immediately go on the defensive and assume I don't want this in game. You then get offensive and make weird assumptions.

Why can you not just answer the questions that were asked about your suggestion? Why does this have to turn into a mud slinging contest?

You accuse me of only wanting features when I like them. Well look in the mirror bud, because everytime you make a suggestion for this game people are going to respond, and it isn't all going to be in agreement with you. Seems to me you only want people to respond to your idea if they're all for it. Don't anybody dare question it.

Anyway, I'm done tagging along with your silly temper tantrum. If you don't want to answer the questions about your idea, don't. I really don't care anymore nor do I care to continue a useless, time wasting arguement with you over who's offensive and who's defensive. I have more productive ways to spend my time. Either answer the questions or ignore them, your choice.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-05-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

Bluenoser, to be honest with you I find your posts in this thread to be inflammatory. I posted my suggestions with the hopes that others might chime in with their own, not so I can get into some back-and-forth. If you don't like my suggestions, that's totally cool. I have no desire to try and sell you on my ideas. My ideas don't need to be tested against your dislikes. If you have suggestions for the baseball card feature, you're more than welcome to post them. You, too, have a nice day.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdsaint View Post
Ah, much thanks. I feel like an idiot because I don't know how many times I've gone through that 'Picture' menu to change their horrible mustaches to something else.
You're not an idiot. The baseball card feature is something that will be improved upon, I'm sure, in the near future, and will probably become more of a stand-alone feature.