Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
rincewindw
Bat Boy

I give up

I got the new patch. I double checked to make sure I've got it checked that I'm the one to make roster moves and lineup changes. I play a game and the game changes my roster and changes my lineups and signs free agents.

Can I return this and get my money back?

Tom Dakers
rincewindw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Most likely the problem is in your depth chart. If you play every game out then I would suggest CLEARING your depth chart and giving that another try.

Don't give up on this game, great soldi game

Hope this helps
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
rincewindw
Bat Boy

How would clearing the depth charts stop the game from signing free agents. The game is who filled in the depth charts. Also the game that released the free agent I signed and grabbed several useless players off waivers. I can't see why it can't be played without the computer making all these moves.

I guess what makes it a 'great game' is it doesn't need me to play it.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

If you are playing "as GM to..." then it will make moves for you, you must "be the GM of the team". If that makes sense....
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuffrey
If you are playing "as GM to..." then it will make moves for you, you must "be the GM of the team". If that makes sense....
Unfortunately, it doesn't, and I think many issues arise because of this. I can understand playing as the Commissioner. I can understand playing as a GM. I can understand playing as a Manager. But how is there really any in-between? (Other than wanting to be a Manager and GM of one team at the same time). Commissioners can do anything. GM's handle one team's GM duties. Managers handle one team's managerial duties. What else is there?

Compounding the issue is the fact that there are multiple options scattered here and there to reassign these duties. (Player handles all mangerial duties, AI handles all managerial duties, etc.) This confuses things both for the computer and the human OOTP player. One option for each feature (all located in the same place) is enough.

Last edited by OakDragon; 07-09-2006 at 07:53 PM.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincewindw
I guess what makes it a 'great game' is it doesn't need me to play it.

Sorry buddy. My appologies to you for trying to help. I missed the free agent part so I guess the sarcasm in your return post for someone trying to help is 100% warranted. I hope someone "ELSE" can help you.

I certainly won't make that mistake again

Last edited by tcblcommish; 07-09-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

The "act as" comes in when you are the commish and while commish you take over a team. The only way to avoid having the AI make any roster moves for you is to ONLY apply for and accept a job as the GM of a team NOT be commish then take over a team and remove the commish title from your name.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Dr. Walter Doodah
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon
Unfortunately, it doesn't, and I think many issues arise because of this. I can understand playing as the Commissioner. I can understand playing as a GM. I can understand playing as a Manager. But how is there really any in-between?
I think the in-between is where the AI manager is still making all the moves but the game allows you to reach over him and change things. Certain things you do, like trades, will have a permanent effect, but things line lineup changes will only stand until the AI manager looks at his team again (I think that happens every Monday or something) and sets things back to how "he" wants them.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Walter Doodah
I think the in-between is where the AI manager is still making all the moves but the game allows you to reach over him and change things. Certain things you do, like trades, will have a permanent effect, but things line lineup changes will only stand until the AI manager looks at his team again (I think that happens every Monday or something) and sets things back to how "he" wants them.
But how permanent is permanent when the AI can just go and trade or release the player? The AI can counteract anything the player can do and vice versa. It's an endless tug-of-war. I guess I don't see the benefits of this mode of play.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
Dr. Walter Doodah
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon
But how permanent is permanent when the AI can just go and trade or release the player? The AI can counteract anything the player can do and vice versa. It's an endless tug-of-war. I guess I don't see the benefits of this mode of play.
Well I meant permanent in that the trade stands and the AI can't reverse it. If the AI then decides to dump the player or trade him away again, well, I guess the distinction is a very small one, but the trade you made is still in the books.

As for the benefits of this mode, you got me, I was only trying to explain what was different about it, not why you'd want to use it.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
rincewindw
Bat Boy

Since I set it for 'human manger' makes all the roster moves, I can't see why the game keeps doing it. Nothing I do stays....I set the depth chart, the game changes it, I call a player up to the majors the game sends him down. Course since that puts him thru waivers so I lose him. All the 'team control settings' are set for me and only me to control the team so having the computer 'fix' everything I do makes no sense at all.

I don't understand the point of playing something if I have no say in what happens. What I'd really like to know is how to return it and get the money back.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincewindw
Since I set it for 'human manger' makes all the roster moves, I can't see why the game keeps doing it. Nothing I do stays....I set the depth chart, the game changes it, I call a player up to the majors the game sends him down. Course since that puts him thru waivers so I lose him. All the 'team control settings' are set for me and only me to control the team so having the computer 'fix' everything I do makes no sense at all.

I don't understand the point of playing something if I have no say in what happens. What I'd really like to know is how to return it and get the money back.

Good luck with all that.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Is the original poster correct, in that the computer will override your human manager's moves?

What precise and specific settings are used to prevent this from occurring?

I must have complete and total assurance that EVERYTHING I do, while managing my team, is safe from the AI's interference.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #14
Dr. Walter Doodah
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak
I must have complete and total assurance that EVERYTHING I do, while managing my team, is safe from the AI's interference.
If your character in the game is actually the manager, and you're not just acting as manager in comish mode, you won't have most of these problems. However, the AI will still change your minor league lineups and depth charts and pitching roles. This, I agree, is a problem. I've always liked doing this myself in previous versions.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #15
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
However, the AI will still change your minor league lineups and depth charts and pitching roles.
I know there's a ton of variants contributing to all sorts of combinations of both success and shortcomings with results. But can you address, based on your experience -- deep and resourceful as it is -- what effect the setting on the Manager Home Page -> Team Control Settings -> Minor League Management actually has when set to the Minor League Manager or when left to the Manager/GM's position?
Attached Images
Old 07-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #16
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If your character in the game is actually the manager, and you're not just acting as manager in comish mode, you won't have most of these problems. However, the AI will still change your minor league lineups and depth charts and pitching roles. This, I agree, is a problem. I've always liked doing this myself in previous versions.
I don't understand this...really.

Why would the AI EVER adjust my depth chart and pitching roles?

Depth charts and pitching roles, and all roster assignments for that matter, are the heart and soul of any baseball simulation.

If I want Albert Pujols to hit third, and the computer insists on hitting him fifth, then the game will be blown off the hard drive, PDQ. This is intolerable.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #17
Recte44
Global Moderator

For the support team to tell us "that's how it is supposed to work" is not the answer we're looking for here. Let's identify it as a problem, and move towards a solution that the gamers will embrace. How's that?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I just read on another post that you can go to EACH level of your teams and there is a box you can check that will NOT allow any roster moves whatsoever for those teams.

That should solve this issue
Old 07-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #19
Recte44
Global Moderator

Where is this box?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #20
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Yeah sorry, it's listed right under the Options and Ball park heading on the main team page and then it's right under the generate logo button.