Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Anyone tinker with removing the IAFA cap?

I've never been a big fan as to how IAFA (international amateur free agents) are handled in this game, honestly it's a huge black eye on an otherwise highly realistic game. So I tried removing the cap to see if that would change anything. It's quite interesting actually, I probably will put it back in place but higher, but still it's weird to see teams bidding super high on these players. I also doubled the number of players created.

Has anyone tried this? How does it work long-term?
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
But the 5 million is the real mlb cap though.

What would you want ootp to do? I'm confused
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
jcmurr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
But the 5 million is the real mlb cap though.

What would you want ootp to do? I'm confused
$5m is the cap, yes. In OOTP, I usually immediately throw the $5m at the first 4.5/5* prospect I like. In reality, teams typically spread that out and even the top signings don’t go above $4m (I think that was the highest so far, in 2016). Basically the game seems to be coded into telling teams “here’s $5m to throw at the best prospect” instead of them spreading it out.

Also one mechanic that I may think is a bug, is that you can never convince a prospect to take your $5m offer if you offer second. I think I’m reality a prospect would weigh his options and choose a club that fits him best, as opposed to taking the first max offer.
jcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:00 AM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
But you get the scouting discovers. You can turn that up. Think I turned it up one or two notches to help simulate how many young international players mlb starts to put their hooks into.

If you also add all of the foreigners leagues anyone cut is a free agent and can be signed. Most of the time they are your younger players <18 years old.

And if you turn on purchasing players for the "lesser" international leagues again there are a lot more young players for you to discover. The large majority will be like the automatic scouting discoveries except you had to do the research yourself.
A couple might develop and turn into something at the least turn into minor league trade bait.

I think the OOTP random amateur free agents is only suppose to model signing the top prospects. Where as in real life that 5 million each year might sign dozens of players. Perhaps that model was deemed too tedious.

But if you like it doing the international stuff above I talked about is interesting. I spend a lot of time searching those league, free agents, usa indy, asian indy leagues for players for my DSL's teams. As longs as they aren't USA, Canada, or their territories they can be assigned to the DSL.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmurr View Post
$5m is the cap, yes. In OOTP, I usually immediately throw the $5m at the first 4.5/5* prospect I like. In reality, teams typically spread that out and even the top signings don’t go above $4m (I think that was the highest so far, in 2016). Basically the game seems to be coded into telling teams “here’s $5m to throw at the best prospect” instead of them spreading it out.

Also one mechanic that I may think is a bug, is that you can never convince a prospect to take your $5m offer if you offer second. I think I’m reality a prospect would weigh his options and choose a club that fits him best, as opposed to taking the first max offer.
Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. And removing the cap creates bidding wars over guys so that it doesn't just become "human player buys the best prospect". A guy signed with the yankees for $22 million in my first season doing this!
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i do it, because i don't like how the ai decides which 5M to take...

i'd think any young player would want to go to the team that wins 80% of teh WS and not some joke of a franchise, othwerwise, lol.

it keeps my MiL stocked with good mil talent too. even if i don't go for an expensive guy, i sign 3-4 cheaply that are good AAA-ceiling players each year. so, most years i stay under 5M anyway.

you can only abuse it at most every other year, because you can only sign a guy for a max ~400k if you go way over 5M the preivous year.

the setting is avialable... it just makes it like it used to be just a few years ago in the MLB. the only reason they did it is to increase revenues. plenty of teams were willing to spend the money... now they spend 1/5th as much, lol.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote