Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team > Auction House Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Auction House Forum Looking for a particular card? Found a steal? Post here!

Old 12-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Curse You Card Flipper!

I saw a card I really wanted on the auction house yesterday. There were two of them and one was really heavily discounted. I decided that I really wanted that player enough that I bought $5 of perfect points so that I could afford it.

By the time jumped through the hoops (steam and paypal) and had the points in my account (is was probably less than 5 minutes) the cheap card was gone and now there was a second version at a significantly higher price.

I can only assume someone else saw the bargain and tried to make a profit. I can't blame them but I really wanted that card in my lineup!
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Agreed! Saw that with Jim Sundberg a couple weeks ago.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Abnerdoubleday
Minors (Triple A)

I do blame them. IT'S A BASEBALL GAME!!!! Shouldn't be an opportunity for scalpers to pounce.

I would be in favor of a holding period for purchases where buyers have to retain purchased cards for at least a week before reselling.

Last edited by Abnerdoubleday; 12-28-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Abnerdoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
<Pion>
All Star Starter

<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnerdoubleday View Post
I do blame them. IT'S A BASEBALL GAME!!!! Shouldn't be an opportunity for scalpers to pounce.

I would be in favor of a holding period for purchases where buyers have to retain purchased cards for at least a week before reselling.
Exactly. It's a baseball game. Stop insisting on weighing it down with ridiculous, unnecessary bureaucracy.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Exactly. It's a baseball game. Stop insisting on weighing it down with ridiculous, unnecessary bureaucracy.
While I agree it is a baseball game, I didn't realize it would be played as a stock market or futures commodity game instead of like baseball.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
While I agree it is a baseball game, I didn't realize it would be played as a stock market or futures commodity game instead of like baseball.
Yeah, curse those people short-selling Honus Wagners...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
It's based on fake currency and there is an auction house with supply and demand. What else could be expected?
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Then you're *really* not gonna like OOTP20 when people can speculate on live cards improving based on real-life performance.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
It's based on fake currency and there is an auction house with supply and demand. What else could be expected?
That would most likely depend on whether you've ever been involved in an auction house type game before which I never had been. I came into it with the naiveté to think that when someone got a great deal on a player, they would happily buy the player and thank their lucky stars that they got such a good player to help their team get better. It was a complete shock when I first realized that players were not purchased to play on their team but rather were immediately put up for sale at a higher price. Now I know differently though I'll just continue looking for those diamonds in the rough at a bargain price that helps my team.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Then you're *really* not gonna like OOTP20 when people can speculate on live cards improving based on real-life performance.
Quite the opposite, I think it will add fun to the game. Fun for those trying to make their team better that get a surprise guy that improves during the year, and funny when the speculator gets stuck with penny junk bonds when the player tanks.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yeah, curse those people short-selling Honus Wagners...
Nah, never curse anyone...
Old 12-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Quite the opposite, I think it will add fun to the game. Fun for those trying to make their team better that get a surprise guy that improves during the year, and funny when the speculator gets stuck with penny junk bonds when the player tanks.
The issue there is that the speculator's probably won't be paying anything for those guys, they'll be leftovers from packs.

I'm going to love the implementation of that, but if you don't like it now, you're going to hate it then, the AH "game" will be much worse when cards no longer have a static value.
traylor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylor45 View Post
The issue there is that the speculator's probably won't be paying anything for those guys, they'll be leftovers from packs.

I'm going to love the implementation of that, but if you don't like it now, you're going to hate it then, the AH "game" will be much worse when cards no longer have a static value.
If they are leftovers from the pack, I wouldn't call that speculating or card flipping. That's just selling cards, but the thread was about card flippers.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
Maddox
All Star Reserve

If people don't think there will be guys buying up every 89 ranked player who is having a great season then they are delusional.

How bad it will be depends entirely on the profit they can earn by the card going to diamond.

I have played enough MLB The Show to know that there are guys who seem to enjoy that aspect as much as the game itself.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #16
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you think the so called whales are buying now, Wait til the 2020 version.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #17
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
If people don't think there will be guys buying up every 89 ranked player who is having a great season then they are delusional.

How bad it will be depends entirely on the profit they can earn by the card going to diamond.

I have played enough MLB The Show to know that there are guys who seem to enjoy that aspect as much as the game itself.

Never played The Show, but I love the AH aspect of every MMO I've played. This game isn't quite there, because values are so static, but if they can change, that will make it a lot more engaging for me.

And there's a big difference in speculating on an 89 you hope moves to 90 and a 81 that might just get a nice stat bump up to high 80's. If you can buy the 89 for under 3600, it's almost guaranteed profit if you're paying attention MLB.

The easy fix there would be each level 40-99 has an NPC price and not each bracket (common to perfect).
traylor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
reo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Exactly, it's baseball. The sport of a capitalistic country. The last thing we need is regulation, smh.
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
bailey
Hall Of Famer

It is the speculators driving the price of most gold, and low diamond cards to basically face value.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote