Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Kino29
Bat Boy

How do you leave or quit the game without saving?

I know this is a noob question but it's driving me nuts. When I want to resim a season and check its results I want to reload the saved season but then it saves everything. I then have to do a backup restore and start a new game save etc.
Kino29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You cannot exit without saving.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Kino29
Bat Boy

Well that bites! Guess they need an option for OOTP11 no? Kind of ridiculous. If someone wants to cheat after losing a game they can do a backup restore anyways.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino29 View Post
Well that bites! Guess they need an option for OOTP11 no? Kind of ridiculous. If someone wants to cheat after losing a game they can do a backup restore anyways.
You won't likely see it in OOTP11.

So why not do that then, back-up restore? Keep in mind there's no guarantee that you'll get the same results each time you sim.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

CTL-ALT-DEL and force quit the program.

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Goody
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmite View Post
CTL-ALT-DEL and force quit the program.
but even if you do that, things have already been written to your league file since your last save. They won't go away.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
You won't likely see it in OOTP11.

So why not do that then, back-up restore? Keep in mind there's no guarantee that you'll get the same results each time you sim.
Very true.

If it was possible to exit without saving it would take about 1 day for someone to post how they won the WS in the 7th game, forgot to save it and then proceeded to lose the re-do.

Something like that happened to me a few versions back. I was up 3-0 in the WS but only had "save weekly" on. A crash happened that didn't corrupt the file but put me back to the start of the WS. I lost 4-1. Needless to say I now save daily in the playoffs.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
but even if you do that, things have already been written to your league file since your last save. They won't go away.
I don't know about ctrl-alt-delete, but all the crashes I've had with Vista return the game to it's last saved state. See my post above.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
What files are you referring to? It's worked for me whenever I've tried it but I haven't looked at EVERY file so I'm not sure. Technically when I do ctl + alt + del, I can make the game crash so it's essentially like a crash.

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Guess they need an option for OOTP11 no?
Agreed.
Quicken asks to save or backup when closing, and I can refuse, Word, Excel, Madden, 2K anything, Triple A, and every other console game I have, etc.
Auto save is frequently an option in games. I would like to see this implemented.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Kino29
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmite View Post
What files are you referring to? It's worked for me whenever I've tried it but I haven't looked at EVERY file so I'm not sure. Technically when I do ctl + alt + del, I can make the game crash so it's essentially like a crash.
Actually ctl + alt + del corrupted my data. I used it to force an exit, but OOTP decided to try and save anyways and exited in the middle of writing a file.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
DanDiaz
Minors (Double A)

Ctr-atl-del works fine

C-A-D works fine, I have used it a few times, make sure it quits out before the game starts saving or you will corrupt the data if you exit mid save.

Sometimes you need to end the fiile twice, to make sure it goes before saving.

this clears everything before teh last save.
DanDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure this feature was added to keep online leagues, some of which had the home team play out its games, from having people dislike a result and do over. I think nowadays most leagues just have the commissioner similar everything, but that other model is at least as old as PBM Strat leagues.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

I'm all for it. I also would like to see back is restore Rosters back to the Begin.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
ptwarr18
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I'm pretty sure this feature was added to keep online leagues, some of which had the home team play out its games, from having people dislike a result and do over. I think nowadays most leagues just have the commissioner similar everything, but that other model is at least as old as PBM Strat leagues.
I still remember making it to my first World Series in OOTP5 when I was a GM in a league, not Commish....

Needless to say, I lost the WS to the Commish, but everyone one of my players profiles said... "Won the 2001 World Series with Colorado"...

Yeah, that was my last action as GM of the Rockies...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwarr18 View Post
I still remember making it to my first World Series in OOTP5 when I was a GM in a league, not Commish....

Needless to say, I lost the WS to the Commish, but everyone one of my players profiles said... "Won the 2001 World Series with Colorado"...

Yeah, that was my last action as GM of the Rockies...
Was your commish's name Fit Dog?
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

OOTP takes much more time to play. If you want to cheat, I suggest Baseball Mogul... One Reason why I like OOTP because it is much much more realistic.

"You win some & lose some"
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
lighthousekeeper
All Star Reserve

Wanting to exit the game without saving doesn't mean that you are wanting to cheat.

In many cases it just means that you made a mistake (for example clicked "Update my organization" by accident), and want to exit out gracefully.

Adding the ability to exit without saving would be a huuuge benefit for 3rd party editor mods such as the Playoff Editor and OOTP Companion.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper; 03-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Why not just keep autosave on exit on, but have a separate option to quit the program without saving? That way you won't have to worry about forgetting to turn the autosave option back on later.