Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

NEWS/PBP TYPOS AND ERRORS THREAD: Post Them In This Thread

PLEASE POST ALL NEWS AND PBP TEXT TYPOS AND ERRORS IN THIS THREAD.

Please give the category it is in.
For instance, a news story about a no-hitter, shutout, hitting streak, league champions, player injury, ejection, suspension, milestone, batter of week, month, year, HOF, player awards, etc.

Or in the PBP, give some details that will help identify the area of the game.
Please give a few sentences before the typo or error and a few sentences after. That way we can find it quicker.

You help will be much appreciated.

We can fix them much quicker using all of your eyes to proof the News and PBP.

You should also post it in the Tech Support Forum in case it is more than just a typo or error in the Text.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 06-21-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Wanted all caps
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
JerryArr
Minors (Single A)

Drug suspension body text...

Name "Jeffress" found, id 21803

"The league press release made clear that he had tested positive for a non-performance enhancing substance. The [%teamnickname] GM was quoted as saying, "Jeffress needs our support and treatment during this difficult phase in his personal life." (nl)(nl)[%personname l] was not available for comment."
JerryArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryArr View Post
Drug suspension body text...

Name "Jeffress" found, id 21803

"The league press release made clear that he had tested positive for a non-performance enhancing substance. The [%teamnickname] GM was quoted as saying, "Jeffress needs our support and treatment during this difficult phase in his personal life." (nl)(nl)[%personname l] was not available for comment."
Thanks, JerryArr.

Appreciate the id.

Thanks for using the debug to show the id numbers. That makes it much easier to fix.

"Jeffress" was a data entry error. I didn't use a token. That will be fixed.

I don't know why the game didn't convert the team nickname and the player's name. It just showed the game tokens. It must be a bug. I will report it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 06-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
sutto
Minors (Double A)

Every news report about a fight lists the second participant as the same position as the first participant, when they are usually a different position.

ie "Patriots 1st Baseman Ted Lightfoot and Blues 1st Baseman John Johns were involved in a fight."

Lightfoot is a 1B but Johns is actually a pitcher.

Also, one of the suspension news articles has Bonds hard coded into it.

ie Williams was suspended for making contact with an umpire. "I think the suspension isn't warranted", said Bonds.
sutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
jg2977
Hall Of Famer

When a team wins a championship, the news article always says that they won it in their own ballpark, even if they clinched the series on the road.

i.e. "The Tigers won the World Series with a hard-fought 4-3 victory over the San Diego Padres at Comerica Park. It was the Tigers' 4th championship." However, I watched that game, and it was at the Padres' ballpark. I already sent this glitch to the technical support area.
jg2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutto View Post
Every news report about a fight lists the second participant as the same position as the first participant, when they are usually a different position.

ie "Patriots 1st Baseman Ted Lightfoot and Blues 1st Baseman John Johns were involved in a fight."

ie Williams was suspended for making contact with an umpire. "I think the suspension isn't warranted", said Bonds.
The player's position has been removed from the game.

Sorry to fix it that way, but there is no way presently to list the players' position. Markus will have to give us tokens for player position #1 and player position #2. We only have player position currently.

Bonds showing up is a typo. I did not enter it correctly and didn't catch it, while proofing.

That's for the help.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2977 View Post
When a team wins a championship, the news article always says that they won it in their own ballpark, even if they clinched the series on the road.

i.e. "The Tigers won the World Series with a hard-fought 4-3 victory over the San Diego Padres at Comerica Park. It was the Tigers' 4th championship." However, I watched that game, and it was at the Padres' ballpark. I already sent this glitch to the technical support area.
I will check this out and let you know what I find.

Thanks for posting the error.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
The player's position has been removed from the game.

Sorry to fix it that way, but there is no way presently to list the players' position. Markus will have to give us tokens for player position #1 and player position #2. We only have player position currently.
They're probably always in the same order... the batter is one token and pitcher is the other. So you could put the position in front of token 1 and hard code pitcher in front of token 2.

But it would take some proofing to make sure it was always that way... more work than just killing it altogether. Either way.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutto View Post

I fixed Bonds and another typo similar to that one.

That category should be ok now. I proofed all of the stories again.

I think I got all of the errors.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Kuttner
Minors (Triple A)

ID: 103
Pitcher pitches shutout
2nd paragraph - "He was pure nasty out there today. I don't think any team in the would've had a chance..."

I assume the name of the league or such should be where those 2 spaces are.

ID: 606
Coach retiring
"You have just been informed by the Office of the Commissioner that the following staff member of the Trenton TidesKatai Baba"

There is no rest of sentence.

ID:
Trade messages
Every trade qualifies them as minor leaguers though they are currently major leaguers. This has been an issue for several versions.
Kuttner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2977 View Post

I checked all of the League Champions stories in the Text Database and I did not see a story like the one you listed.

This is the only story that had "hard-fought" phrase in it:

It was a hard-fought battle for both teams to make it this far. But as the saying goes, "To the victors go the spoils." Boston got the Major League Baseball World Series trophy today with a 5-1 victory over St. Louis at Fenway Park. The Red Sox won their third championship after taking the series with the Cardinals 4-2.

"They've got grit!" one fan said. "They know how to win when they have to. They're the League Champions!"

The new titleholders completed the regular season with a first-place finish in the American League East and a 98-64 record.

I have checked 5 league champions stories for a test league I use to proof the News.

So far, all of the home teams won the league title and played the last game at the park listed in the News Stories.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it comes up the way you stated.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttner View Post
Pitcher pitches shutout
2nd paragraph - "He was pure nasty out there today. I don't think any team in the would've had a chance..."

This one Markus has to fix. The Text Database is correct, but the league is not shown in the story in the News. The token for the league is showing up blank.

Coach retiring
"You have just been informed by the Office of the Commissioner that the following staff member of the Trenton TidesKatai Baba"

Sorry, I can't find any news stories about a coach retiring. I'll have to check with someone on the Beta Team to see if they are familiar with this category.

ID:
Trade messages
Every trade qualifies them as minor leaguers though they are currently major leaguers. This has been an issue for several versions.

Sorry, I can't help with trade messages. I only deal with the major news stories in the game. But I will give your comments to someone on the Beta Team that might deal with the trade area of the game.
Thanks for posting these items. I will make sure the Beta Team gets them.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pitcher pitches shutout

Coach retiring

ID:
Trade messages
1st one, as EC said it's a code problem.
2nd one, that's hard code news.
3rd one, not sure what you mean. Every story I see is saying that 32-year old so and so or 25-year old so and so.... no mention of any minor league or major league?

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
endgame
Hall Of Famer

If it's the same issue that I've raised in the past, it results when your parent league is set to AAA quality or such. Could that be the case?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
If it's the same issue that I've raised in the past, it results when your parent league is set to AAA quality or such. Could that be the case?
I don't understand that either. None of them appear to mention anything like that. We are talking news? Or are we talking text somewhere else?

This is a normal news message:
Trade winds have been blowing through [%team#1link]. This time, a deal has materialized between the [%team#1nickname] and [%team#2nickname]. According to sources inside the organization, [%team#1link] will ship [%string#1] to [%team#2link] for [%string#2].

Nothing in there that would indicate anything about league level.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Kuttner
Minors (Triple A)

Silvam14 brought up this issue with 07 in this thread.

Here is a screenshot.

The player in question (Nichols) is a Major Leaguer, drafted in the inaugural draft. In this particular league I have a Major League as a parent with a AAA beneath it. I've had this issue in both 07 and 09. I'm on a Mac if that matters.
Attached Images
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #17
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Silvam14 brought up this issue with 07 in this thread.

Here is a screenshot.

The player in question (Nichols) is a Major Leaguer, drafted in the inaugural draft. In this particular league I have a Major League as a parent with a AAA beneath it. I've had this issue in both 07 and 09. I'm on a Mac if that matters.
Ah... it's part of [%string#1].
Are you sure he was on the major league team at the time of the trade?

I don't have any minor leagues in my test league, so that would explain why I don't see that in any of the trade messages in the game atm.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Kuttner
Minors (Triple A)

He wasn't (or ever was) in the minors. Here's his batting history.

It's not an isolated case for me. I could post another 100 examples. I don't think I've ever seen a trade that wasn't this way.

Thanks.
Attached Images
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
tysok
Hall Of Famer

I have no idea. I've started 4 leagues, 2 with full minors, 2 with just AAA minors..... I've looked through 10 trade news messages in each and they all come up right. Just 25-year old so and so for major league guys, and the ones it says are minor league guys are indeed minor league players.

I can't reproduce. I can't think of any options that could have been changed that would fool the computer. I've tried changing a few, but everything still works right.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #20
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He wasn't (or ever was) in the minors. Here's his batting history.

It's not an isolated case for me. I could post another 100 examples. I don't think I've ever seen a trade that wasn't this way.

Thanks.
So judging from the screenshot, this isn't a converted league, but one you've just started under v9. Did you use a template from another version, or simply start fresh with 9? And, forgive me, I didn't read far back before posting, this is a fictional historical league? An imported league?